PDA

View Full Version : Low morale on road

Unregistered
06-30-2020, 10:30 PM
The morale of road deputies is so low. I haven't been here long enough to remember the golden days like some of you veterans of the agency talk about, but I can't imagine it ever being worse than it is now. I like Sheriff Lemma, but in his open forum discussions I've heard him say things like "we should promote good people, test scores aren't all that matters, etc etc".

Why are most road deputies I talk to miserable with their leadership(or lack of)? Road Sergeants should trust their guys and girls to do their jobs and only get involved when needed. Why do so many people that work in North and South region overnights want to leave with having less than a couple years with the agency? I know several deputies with less than a couple years that are already looking for new agencies to work for because their sergeants are nightmares.

If the goal was to promote "good people", why are we ending up with micromanagers that treat their people like trash? Sergeants KW and TB come to mind. We will continue to lose good people, and this agency will become worse until people like that are pushed out or forced to correct their behavior.

Spike, if you read this, can you maybe comment on this issue?

Spike Hopkins
07-01-2020, 08:25 PM
The morale of road deputies is so low. I haven't been here long enough to remember the golden days like some of you veterans of the agency talk about, but I can't imagine it ever being worse than it is now. I like Sheriff Lemma, but in his open forum discussions I've heard him say things like "we should promote good people, test scores aren't all that matters, etc etc".

Why are most road deputies I talk to miserable with their leadership(or lack of)? Road Sergeants should trust their guys and girls to do their jobs and only get involved when needed. Why do so many people that work in North and South region overnights want to leave with having less than a couple years with the agency? I know several deputies with less than a couple years that are already looking for new agencies to work for because their sergeants are nightmares.

If the goal was to promote "good people", why are we ending up with micromanagers that treat their people like trash? Sergeants KW and TB come to mind. We will continue to lose good people, and this agency will become worse until people like that are pushed out or forced to correct their behavior.

Spike, if you read this, can you maybe comment on this issue?

Since I was asked, I'll give you my thoughts. Until the day I retired, I loved being a deputy sheriff. I looked forward to coming to work everyday. It bothers me, having what I believe is the best job in the world, the SCSO deputies morale is at an all time low. Don't get me wrong, I've had a few bad bosses in my time, but for the most part, the supervisors left us alone and allowed us to do our job. I could not imagine going to work being more worried about my supervisor than the people who want to hurt me on the streets.

On my web site is a section to SCSO employees. I hope you can read this sometime. https://spikeforseminolesheriff.com/plan-for-scso-employees

I want leaders not supervisors. You will read part of my promotion process will be a peer review. (This will also be done for yearly evaluations) This will be done anonymously by the personnel who work directly with the promotional candidate. I want to know if the deputy who wants to be a corporal or sergeant, is a slacker, call dodger or if they are a team player who is competent to lead. The same goes for a corporal wishing to be a sergeant or a sergeant wanting to be a lieutenant. Are they never around? Do they never answer the radio or phone? Are they MIA? Do they micro-manage or make up their own policy? Do they lead and share workloads when possible? This is very important to me. I will take into consideration if one disgruntle person trashes the candidate but the other co-workers only sing their praise.

I also want to put out an anonymous web based survey when I arrive. I want know the peers thoughts on all supervisors throughout the agency. I want to have leadership classes and let the current supervisors know what's expected from them. No leading by intimidation or micro-managing. I expect road supervisors to help out with calls for service, act as a back up if needed and do police work while 10-8. (I understand they have administrative duties also) No more leading from the office or coffee shop.

I am not here to overwork anyone but have us all work together as a team.

I look forward to coming out on patrol, doing what road deputies do, a few times a month. I want to work with the detention deputies and do the same. I want to get ideas and comments from the people who actually do the job.

Though this question was regarding road deputies, I want all SCSO employees my thought are the same no matter what division you work for.

Stay safe,

Spike

Unregistered
07-03-2020, 04:45 PM
We need Spike here. Lemma has never addressed people at this forum, or presented real solutions to real problems.

Unregistered
07-03-2020, 09:03 PM
Spike, Thank you for posting on this forum. I just discovered this forum and was very surprised to see you on here openly discussing these issues, considering our own leaders aren't on here doing the same.

I can agree with the original poster. I know several Deputies in North and South Region (overnights specifically) that are miserable and on the verge of leaving or are already in the process of finding a new agency to start with.

I checked out your website and read through your posts and am highly considering giving you my vote. I'm a Republican, but we need to shake things up at the SCSO, and I believe you when you say you're green over red or blue.

Please continue posting here and discussing these issues. Like you said in a previous post, even if you don't win, maybe your efforts to expose certain issues will make the SCSO better just for your attempt.

Thank you Spike.

And to the people in South and North Region struggling with terrible supervisors and/or unsafe work environments, please stay safe, and I'll pray for you all. I hope things get better. Remember you are appreciated. You shouldn't have to worry about your supervisor more than a gang banger.

Spike Hopkins
07-04-2020, 10:56 PM
Thank you for your positive words. if you can hang on until November we'll see what we can do about making the SCSO number one again

Charles Albrecht
07-05-2020, 03:47 AM
Good evening SCSO,

If you can not go to your chain of command please come to me. I am willing to listen, talk, and be your voice if needed. Stay safe I have your back, Charlie Albrecht

Spike Hopkins
07-05-2020, 06:38 AM
Good evening SCSO,

If you can not go to your chain of command please come to me. I am willing to listen, talk, and be your voice if needed. Stay safe I have your back, Charlie Albrecht

Lt, Albrecht, thanks for stepping up to help your troops out.

Spike

Unregistered
07-09-2020, 10:48 AM
Charlie Albrecht is an absolute snake. I wouldn’t trust him any farther than I can throw him, which isn’t very far... He is the absolute last person I would go to for any help, as he is only looking out for himself and how to get promoted. I know it sounds good on here, but if you think Charlie will help you think again.

Unregistered
07-09-2020, 12:15 PM
So basically no one is to be trusted. We can't trust any person at this agency lol. Can't wait to leave.

Unregistered
07-09-2020, 12:29 PM
You shouldn't have to worry about your supervisor more than a gang banger.

Couldn't have said that any better.

Unregistered
07-09-2020, 02:55 PM
Charlie Albrecht is an absolute snake. I wouldn’t trust him any farther than I can throw him, which isn’t very far... He is the absolute last person I would go to for any help, as he is only looking out for himself and how to get promoted. I know it sounds good on here, but if you think Charlie will help you think again.

You were shut down on the other blog so you start here. Can’t even give an example, just using your ordinary, non promotable self with small words. Obviously not doing your job since you are on here more than investigating.

Upper management found out last time who the negative Nancies were, they’ll do it again.

See Spike, how will you get rid of this negative, name bashing, a “wonderful employee in their own eyes” scared of stepping up employee? , because they obviously don’t have a set to go to CA or his Capt. Glad I’m retired.

Unregistered
07-22-2020, 10:42 AM
What other blog?

Btw OP is correct.

Unregistered
07-24-2020, 11:04 PM
Apparently a couple days after this was posted, KW met with everyone on his shift working one night individually and questioned them.

Intimidation tactic?

Unregistered
07-25-2020, 12:10 AM
KW questioning people over a internet blog. Can anyone say hostile work environment. This place needs a union so bad!!! At least then we would have some kind of recourse against this inept, unqualified, and scared MANAGERS. See leaders leader unfortunately many of our SGT's lack even the slightest once of leadership and instead micromanage and intimidate.

Unregistered
07-25-2020, 01:02 AM
KW questioning people over a internet blog. Can anyone say hostile work environment. This place needs a union so bad!!! At least then we would have some kind of recourse against this inept, unqualified, and scared MANAGERS. See leaders leader unfortunately many of our SGT's lack even the slightest once of leadership and instead micromanage and intimidate.

Everything I read on the internet, especially anonymous sites, must be true.

Unregistered
07-25-2020, 02:53 AM
I will take into consideration if one disgruntle person trashes the candidate

Spike, Have you taken into consideration that some of the people feeding you information are just disgruntled including some on this forum? I quoted you about the promotional process but based on principle alone from the statement, you should consider some of the false information you are getting from those who outwardly do not support Sheriff Lemma and never will. Some people are feeding you information that you have failed to confirm. That is NOT leadership, Spike. Sounds like more lies from democrat for political gain. Oh wait. You were a republican who changed to democrat for this election but that's right, you are not a politician. If you are not a politician than why did you change (abandon) your party?

Unregistered
07-25-2020, 04:58 AM
Spike, Have you taken into consideration that some of the people feeding you information are just disgruntled including some on this forum? I quoted you about the promotional process but based on principle alone from the statement, you should consider some of the false information you are getting from those who outwardly do not support Sheriff Lemma and never will. Some people are feeding you information that you have failed to confirm. That is NOT leadership, Spike. Sounds like more lies from democrat for political gain. Oh wait. You were a republican who changed to democrat for this election but that's right, you are not a politician. If you are not a politician than why did you change (abandon) your party?

Make Orange/Seminole County Great again.....isn't that your slogan?

Unregistered
07-25-2020, 07:07 AM
Everything I read on the internet, especially anonymous sites, must be true.

Good on you for not believing everything you see or hear. Unfortunately this is true.

Unregistered
07-25-2020, 06:46 PM
Make Orange/Seminole great again?

So let me understand this correctly? If during the course of my life my views change and I switch political parties I am now considered a politician? Or are you just calling Spike a politician because he did? So now if I switch churches am I considered an atheist or a heretic? What about if I switch from the investment plan to the pension plan? Am I a white collar criminal?

Spike already addressed this thoughts on the other thread. If you need more insight from him feel free to contact him. He’s done more here than any command staff have done except for the trollers. He’d love to meet you face to face.

But since you want to go all “politician” up in here, let go!

Your politician made it quite clear in the skip meetings that “never before in the history of Seminole county has there ever been a sheriff to get you over a 30% pay raise”. Granted he said not everyone got it but he emphasized he made it happen. I also acknowledge that he didn’t create the compression problem that he inherited. However, I do know that the way he said it was text book politician. He tried to make it sound like he did it out of the goodness of his heart. No he did it due the amount of people leaving as well as things that were posted here over the last couple years. So please don’t paw at me.

Your politician blames the committees for things stalling. Does he take responsibility? No. Classic politician deflection. Maybe be more involved with your company and not focused elsewhere.

Your politician acknowledges yet again there’s a disconnect with the command staff. He repeats it AGAIN that there is a known problem and he hasn’t fixed it. So if I just ignore the problem it will go away? Maybe just take another trip to Tallahassee and things will fix themselves. Call me crazy but wasn’t there a book about broken windows somewhere? So remember when he kept comparing us to the private sector and how we needed to be more like them? We need more civilians and blah blah blah? How would this same scenario play out in the private sector for a CEO that keeps acknowledging that he has issues with his executives underneath him and yet continually does nothing to correct? The private sector would.....well you know.

What about how to get all those 40 something deputy trainees through field training we are talking about bringing anyone that has FTO certification out to train them? Some of them haven’t been on patrol in years and now we expect them to be able to train a trainee and get them up to speed so they can be solo? How long will it take that detective or whoever to just get themselves back up to speed? Nothing against the FTO as many of them back in the day were very knowledgeable but if you’re not doing it regularly you forget a lot and procedures change quite often.

You want to stay within party lines and vote gop? Yes, that’s the same cancerous problem we have internally with our promotion process as well as our internal transfers. We pick who we like or who thinks like us instead of the best candidate. Instead we should pick the most qualified candidate and go from there. If they aren’t up to snuff, fix the problem. Don’t bury your head in the sand, play plausible deniability, blame everyone else or make excuses. Take ownership and face the challenges and help the company succeed. We owe that to our citizens. They deserve to have the best.

I mean if staying in party lines is what’s important to you, how is that working out for Mina? Oh that’s right the FOP just pulled their endorsement for him and he’s a Republican. But with your rationale that means the FOP is now a politician. Go sell that to all of the other people who use the FOP.

Unregistered
07-25-2020, 07:12 PM
Make Orange/Seminole great again?

So let me understand this correctly? If during the course of my life my views change and I switch political parties I am now considered a politician? Or are you just calling Spike a politician because he did? So now if I switch churches am I considered an atheist or a heretic? What about if I switch from the investment plan to the pension plan? Am I a white collar criminal?

Spike already addressed this thoughts on the other thread. If you need more insight from him feel free to contact him. He’s done more here than any command staff have done except for the trollers. He’d love to meet you face to face.

But since you want to go all “politician” up in here, let go!

Your politician made it quite clear in the skip meetings that “never before in the history of Seminole county has there ever been a sheriff to get you over a 30% pay raise”. Granted he said not everyone got it but he emphasized he made it happen. I also acknowledge that he didn’t create the compression problem that he inherited. However, I do know that the way he said it was text book politician. He tried to make it sound like he did it out of the goodness of his heart. No he did it due the amount of people leaving as well as things that were posted here over the last couple years. So please don’t paw at me.

Your politician blames the committees for things stalling. Does he take responsibility? No. Classic politician deflection. Maybe be more involved with your company and not focused elsewhere.

Your politician acknowledges yet again there’s a disconnect with the command staff. He repeats it AGAIN that there is a known problem and he hasn’t fixed it. So if I just ignore the problem it will go away? Maybe just take another trip to Tallahassee and things will fix themselves. Call me crazy but wasn’t there a book about broken windows somewhere? So remember when he kept comparing us to the private sector and how we needed to be more like them? We need more civilians and blah blah blah? How would this same scenario play out in the private sector for a CEO that keeps acknowledging that he has issues with his executives underneath him and yet continually does nothing to correct? The private sector would.....well you know.

What about how to get all those 40 something deputy trainees through field training we are talking about bringing anyone that has FTO certification out to train them? Some of them haven’t been on patrol in years and now we expect them to be able to train a trainee and get them up to speed so they can be solo? How long will it take that detective or whoever to just get themselves back up to speed? Nothing against the FTO as many of them back in the day were very knowledgeable but if you’re not doing it regularly you forget a lot and procedures change quite often.

You want to stay within party lines and vote gop? Yes, that’s the same cancerous problem we have internally with our promotion process as well as our internal transfers. We pick who we like or who thinks like us instead of the best candidate. Instead we should pick the most qualified candidate and go from there. If they aren’t up to snuff, fix the problem. Don’t bury your head in the sand, play plausible deniability, blame everyone else or make excuses. Take ownership and face the challenges and help the company succeed. We owe that to our citizens. They deserve to have the best.

I mean if staying in party lines is what’s important to you, how is that working out for Mina? Oh that’s right the FOP just pulled their endorsement for him and he’s a Republican. But with your rationale that means the FOP is now a politician. Go sell that to all of the other people who use the FOP.

Mina switched parties too he is not running as a Democrat as well..

Unregistered
07-25-2020, 07:14 PM
Mina switched parties too he is not running as a Democrat as well..

Sorry *** NOW*** Mina is running as a democrat after switching parties shortly before the last election.

Unregistered
07-26-2020, 11:02 AM
Apparently a couple days after this was posted, KW met with everyone on his shift working one night individually and questioned them.

Intimidation tactic?

What do you want from the guy??

Maybe he can take criticism and try to make something constructive out of it. Learning and changing is part of being a good leader. What else is he supposed to do? Stay the same and have people continue to talk smack about him?

What have you done? Other than tear people down. Please regal us with your extensive leadership experience.

Unregistered
07-26-2020, 12:35 PM
Sounds to me like "KW" is making an effort.

Unregistered
07-26-2020, 06:49 PM
Sounds to me like "KW" is making an effort.

This is what happens with the everyone gets a trophy generation. Perhaps KW lacked the experience, maturity and leadership to be put in that position. Now thats not their fault its the brass, but the brass does nothing about it. Just because some passes a test and knows the right people doesn't mean they will make a good leader. This agency is full of managers what we need is LEADERS.

Unregistered
07-26-2020, 07:46 PM
This is what happens with the everyone gets a trophy generation. Perhaps KW lacked the experience, maturity and leadership to be put in that position. Now thats not their fault its the brass, but the brass does nothing about it. Just because some passes a test and knows the right people doesn't mean they will make a good leader. This agency is full of managers what we need is LEADERS.

This just reinforces my assumption that you have no concept of what leadership looks like. Leaders adapt and improve. Managers assume they know everything don’t change.

Again, we have yet to hear about your vast leadership experience. Please for the sake of us all don’t take any promotional tests.

Unregistered
07-26-2020, 08:35 PM

What did you want him to do? Sit at home and cry about it? What’s the point of this blog if nothing changes. Sounds like you’re one of the slugs who just wants to talk negative about everyone does the things you’re too scared to try. On behalf of your all your coworkers who don’t want to say it, please leave.

Unregistered
07-26-2020, 09:29 PM
What did you want him to do? Sit at home and cry about it? What’s the point of this blog if nothing changes. Sounds like you’re one of the slugs who just wants to talk negative about everyone does the things you’re too scared to try. On behalf of your all your coworkers who don’t want to say it, please leave.

Absolutely concur. If you're so easily intimidated you can't be worth spit as a deputy anyhow.

Unregistered
07-26-2020, 10:19 PM
Why are we even talking about a brand new sgt when we have an entire command suite who does nothing to improve. Meeting after meeting the sheriff is told we have poor communication from the top and nothing changes.

Unregistered
07-26-2020, 11:59 PM
Agreed. Where is his mentorship? Who trained him up as a Sgt? What has his LT or CAPT done to make him successful? Have they done any face to face talks with the troops? Obviously there’s two sides to the story. But if morale is low and people are leaving the shift maybe someone should take note?

https://www.td.org/insights/9-bad-manager-mistakes-that-make-good-people-quit

Is it just me or do we get another job posting or reposting from a certain division like every week? Why is nobody asking questions like why they can’t keep anyone or attract anyone?

Unregistered
07-27-2020, 12:41 AM
Agreed. Where is his mentorship? Who trained him up as a Sgt? What has his LT or CAPT done to make him successful? Have they done any face to face talks with the troops? Obviously there’s two sides to the story. But if morale is low and people are leaving the shift maybe someone should take note?

https://www.td.org/insights/9-bad-manager-mistakes-that-make-good-people-quit

Is it just me or do we get another job posting or reposting from a certain division like every week? Why is nobody asking questions like why they can’t keep anyone or attract anyone?

100%

Clearly there’s more to this story. Has anyone actually left his shift?

Unregistered
07-27-2020, 01:22 AM
KW was a good deputy, a good detective, a good agent. He is finding his way as a sergeant and asking for advice along the way. Since you all blasted him on the blog and before. How is he supposed to know what he has done wrong or perceived as wrong unless he asks his shift what he could do better. You all ask for the him to change without stalling or deliberation, which is impossible. He will change over time and with the help of his troops.

Unregistered
07-27-2020, 03:11 AM
KW was a good deputy, a good detective, a good agent. He is finding his way as a sergeant and asking for advice along the way. Since you all blasted him on the blog and before. How is he supposed to know what he has done wrong or perceived as wrong unless he asks his shift what he could do better. You all ask for the him to change without stalling or deliberation, which is impossible. He will change over time and with the help of his troops.

Sounds like someone with a petty vendetta. Who did he piss off?

Unregistered
07-27-2020, 10:08 AM
100%

Clearly there’s more to this story. Has anyone actually left his shift?

Yeah who left his shift? Hes only been a sergeant a couple of months. The list can’t be that long.

JOHN BERTHOLF
07-29-2020, 07:05 AM
Being off the road for 13 years is like starting all over again. Working dope is 180 degrees from the road. I work for him, he's adapting well but is a thorough and cautious person. He has adapted well to his new environment and roll. DO NOT FORGET.....VIDEO GAMING TOUGH GUYS AND I-PHONE EUNUCHS......HE IS A COMBAT VETERAN OF THE 1st. CAVALRY DIVISION IN IRAQ AND HAS BEEN ON THE TWO WAY RANGE! YOU KNOW WHERE TO FIND ME IF YOU GOT SOMETHING TO SAY!

Unregistered
07-29-2020, 08:04 AM
Someone from his own squad debunking the critics. Sounds like this whole thread is some fake news hahaha

Unregistered
07-30-2020, 12:36 AM
Being off the road for 13 years is like starting all over again. Working dope is 180 degrees from the road. I work for him, he's adapting well but is a thorough and cautious person. He has adapted well to his new environment and roll. DO NOT FORGET.....VIDEO GAMING TOUGH GUYS AND I-PHONE EUNUCHS......HE IS A COMBAT VETERAN OF THE 1st. CAVALRY DIVISION IN IRAQ AND HAS BEEN ON THE TWO WAY RANGE! YOU KNOW WHERE TO FIND ME IF YOU GOT SOMETHING TO SAY!

Well said sir. KW is a good dude and has done things many wish they could say they’ve done. He will succeed as a SGT.

Unregistered
07-30-2020, 01:46 AM
Well said sir. KW is a good dude and has done things many wish they could say they’ve done. He will succeed as a SGT.

Agreed. Everyone has potential, they just need to be surrounded and influenced by the right people.

Unregistered
07-30-2020, 01:16 PM
Also agree on KW. It sounds like someone has a personal vendetta and it’s really pretty pathetic. KW if you’re reading this, don’t sweat it. The real cops support you and I for one was very happy you were promoted.

Unregistered
08-04-2020, 02:01 AM
Nothing better than someone who would actually know checking in with facts.

Unregistered
11-10-2021, 01:25 PM
Agreed. Where is his mentorship? Who trained him up as a Sgt? What has his LT or CAPT done to make him successful? Have they done any face to face talks with the troops? Obviously there’s two sides to the story. But if morale is low and people are leaving the shift maybe someone should take note? e-Learning made simple by makemesmart (https://www.makemesmart.com/) Is it just me or do we get another job posting or reposting from a certain division like every week? Why is nobody asking questions like why they can’t keep anyone or attract anyone?
Agree with you, there ARE two sides of the story not only in this case.

Unregistered
11-12-2021, 05:09 AM
Agree with you, there ARE two sides of the story not only in this case.

This is an old topic but the tread brings up some current issues. How many good supervisors, mainly sergeants, have left this agency due to the incompetence of the administration. So many good leaders (MD, SC, WC, MP) have either retired early or just quit due to the shitty hands they were dealt, without any real cause, from the agency’s leadership (and I use this term very, very loosely). I love how our shitty Sgts continue to thrive though, but the good ones said no thank you, I’m good and it’s time to move on. To those good Sgts that are still here, thank you because you are appreciated, to the others who are incompetent and micro-managers, go “f” yourselves and let me do my job without criticism and second guessing…..