PDA

View Full Version : Furloughs?

Unregistered
04-23-2020, 11:21 PM
I heard it from a credible source that there is talk about furloughs for city workers including TPD officers & TFR if the pandemic continues for several more months. If you are a new officer, I would plan for that possibility. It’s happening to officers all around the country.

Unregistered
04-24-2020, 01:42 AM
It’s not going on for several more months. And if it did, police would be the last you’d want to lay off. The civil unrest would be outrageous!

Unregistered
04-24-2020, 11:35 AM
We have been situations like this before without layoffs or furloughs so quit trying to stir crap up. If that was even a thought, they would have already deemed alot of the civilian positions in the districts non-essential and sent them home. The districts have plenty of civilian positions to start with and that talk hasn't even been mentioned

Unregistered
04-24-2020, 12:08 PM
We have been situations like this before without layoffs or furloughs so quit trying to stir crap up. If that was even a thought, they would have already deemed alot of the civilian positions in the districts non-essential and sent them home. The districts have plenty of civilian positions to start with and that talk hasn't even been mentioned

No one has ever been through a situation like this. It is going to take years to recover from this mess. I agree with the first post. If I was a rookie, I would have a plan B because Tampa is losing millions due to this situation.

Unregistered
04-24-2020, 12:32 PM
Stop fear mongering. There are a few dozen sworn openings and a lot of mandatory drop retirements every year. They would simply freeze some of those spots way before they actually lay off sworn positions.

Unregistered
04-24-2020, 12:40 PM
The state will start to open up within 2 weeks

Unregistered
04-24-2020, 01:06 PM
Get ready for a significant increase in our pension dues. I would suggest saving money now before it hits to lessen the blow.

Unregistered
04-24-2020, 01:58 PM
Jane wants nothing more than to keep the city closed. We need to reopen and let people go back to work. Stop with this scare tactics. The elderly and vulnerable can stay home and take more precautions.

Unregistered
04-24-2020, 02:22 PM
You would think they would want more cops during this time

Unregistered
04-24-2020, 04:31 PM
Media caught staging nurse to block "protest"

https://youtu.be/ackpdogyNDQ

Unregistered
04-24-2020, 09:33 PM
Jane, Les Miller and the democrats /media (same thing) all suck imo!!

Unregistered
04-25-2020, 12:19 AM
Many small businesses will never open again and the middle class wealth is being taken away. This has never happened before. It’s over. The city is screwed. They will not take raises as its contractual however step pays will be frozen for 2-3 years and OT will be suspended. We also will not get a raise in the next contract period. People better make plans for this financial hit. I feel bad for the entitled officers that live off their OT.

Unregistered
04-25-2020, 12:53 PM
All this misery to get Trump out, sad...Democrats are insane and don't even know it!

Unregistered
04-25-2020, 09:38 PM
We have been situations like this before without layoffs or furloughs so quit trying to stir crap up. If that was even a thought, they would have already deemed a lot of the civilian positions in the districts non-essential and sent them home. The districts have plenty of civilian positions to start with and that talk hasn't even been mentioned

We have never been in a situation like this before. So, be smart and save every penny that you can and do not make any major or unnecessary purchases for at least a year.

There will be cuts. Yes, first it will be civilians, and then as officers drop, they will most likely leave the slots vacant. But I would not make any bets that it won't go beyond that. And for those that believe that this will be over by April 30th or in another month, wake up.

Prepare yourself for higher pension contributions, no 13th checks, no step increases, 0,0,0 the next contract, etc. Some or all of this will happen.

Even when they decide to slowly open up certain businesses, parks, beaches, etc, there will be a resurgence of the virus. How bad this resurgence will be depends on many factors. Many of which depends on us (staying at home, social distancing, wearing mask, etc.).

The Spanish Flu was deadly to some extent for over 10 years. The most deadly mutations of the flu lasted approximately one year. In most places in the US we are only 1 or 2 months into this thing, so trust me when I say that we are going to be dealing with the health and economic impact of this virus for a while.

Back in December and January, I began to read about this virus when it was only in China. As I saw it spreading towards Europe, I told several of my friends and family members to prepare themselves, that the virus was coming our way, and it was going to be a mess. They looked at me like I was crazy. Well, I am sad to say that I was not crazy.

It will get better with time just like everything else does, but please don't be dismissive of the seriousness of the situation.

Be safe, be smart, and God bless you all.

Unregistered
04-26-2020, 02:35 AM
We have 42 vacant sworn positions and by September there will be another 15. There is a hiring freeze. I don’t see any lay-offs but those positions will not be filled. In addition cameras were cancelled and no new cars are being bought. Some talk about some reorganization to eliminate some supervisory and command level positions with merging SSD and SOD back together with Gonzalez leaving in a few months as well as sending VCB squads back to district and eliminating the Violent Crime Bureau.

Unregistered
04-26-2020, 02:56 AM

When have had a 25% city unemployment rate (people who want to work)? When have we been with a 60% reduction in sales taxes, every venue cancelled, no parking revenue, businesses closed water and trash revenue greatly reduced by so many closed businesses, hotels empty, etc. This list could go for a few pages. If this goes on to much longer the effect on other business is going to expand to a greater number of people. The crisis of 2008 was nothing compared to what this is doing to city revenue. Civilians will be laid off. Officers will do more with less.

Unregistered
04-26-2020, 05:43 AM
They will hire officers

Unregistered
04-26-2020, 10:32 AM
Of course they will. When it comes to overall city planning you have to look at “now” and “future”. If you are 57 officers short in September that becomes 75 six months after that...then 100...and so on. They might freeze some of those positions for a “buffer” but it takes an average of 7 months to hire and get a solo working officer. Not filling any positions quickly goes out of hand with those time frames.

Unregistered
04-26-2020, 02:34 PM
And what civilian positions do you think they can cut. They are all short handed as well

Unregistered
04-26-2020, 06:36 PM
They are already postponing the group set to swear in next month

Unregistered
04-26-2020, 08:10 PM
I would guess postponed for a couple of months before they are sworn in. States are starting open this week. They are going to have to hire.

Unregistered
04-27-2020, 03:10 AM
Interesting, the group that interviewed in march was supposed to have their pat tests in April and now they are telling them that it will be "After the curve flattens". That group originally applied in Oct 2019. 40 positions available. Looks like they are trying to push this hiring group back as well. Although this is for academy sponsored positions which obviously take way longer anyway. They probably wont even have another scholarship group this coming Oct.

Unregistered
04-27-2020, 03:40 AM
We will need bodies on the streets, not kids sitting in class getting paid. Scholarship kids won't see be solo until about a year after academy and FTO. That's too long if we have to curtail hiring and then have to play catch-up.

Unregistered
04-27-2020, 09:11 AM
Who said they are processing after the curve flattens? Isn’t the curve already flattened?

Unregistered
04-27-2020, 06:15 PM
Who said they are processing after the curve flattens? Isn’t the curve already flattened?

The Background Investigators

Unregistered
04-27-2020, 06:17 PM
We will need bodies on the streets, not kids sitting in class getting paid. Scholarship kids won't see be solo until about a year after academy and FTO. That's too long if we have to curtail hiring and then have to play catch-up.
This is true, squads will just have to deal with shortages until than, if hiring of experienced officers is curtailed.

Unregistered
04-27-2020, 11:10 PM
I can see them finish processing the precerts in May.

Unregistered
04-28-2020, 03:13 PM
Look the city was in great shape however like most other cities Covid 19 has left its mark for years. Small manufacturers, small businesses, and small restaurants are going to take a beating. Some likely will never return. Don’t be ignorant PLAN NOW. Get your budget and bills in order. Off duty will tighten and many officers will be short on cash. Plan plan plan. City will be looking to cut or maintain vacancies. Patrol will be short. We must work together.

Unregistered
04-28-2020, 05:33 PM
City isn’t going to cut sworn positions.

Unregistered
05-01-2020, 11:35 AM
Florida will be fully open by June 1. I see a hiring date happening in June/July.

Unregistered
05-01-2020, 03:07 PM
Look the city was in great shape however like most other cities Covid 19 has left its mark for years. Small manufacturers, small businesses, and small restaurants are going to take a beating. Some likely will never return. Don’t be ignorant PLAN NOW. Get your budget and bills in order. Off duty will tighten and many officers will be short on cash. Plan plan plan. City will be looking to cut or maintain vacancies. Patrol will be short. We must work together.

STFU keyboard hero troll.

Unregistered
05-03-2020, 01:55 AM
How many cops retired due to this virus?

Unregistered
05-08-2020, 12:16 PM
I’m sure they will be hiring soon again. Everything starting to open up and phase 2 is not far away.

Unregistered
05-09-2020, 08:28 PM
Anyone know what places are offering EOT still? Looking to bang it out so I can apply

Unregistered
05-09-2020, 09:54 PM
St. Petersburg college all state center