PDA

View Full Version : Questions for Tampa Officers

Unregistered
04-07-2020, 04:20 AM
I'm a LEO in PA, but I'm considering moving to the Tampa area, because the wife would make a lot more in Tampa. I just have a few questions if you guys can help.

1. Do I need to take the EOT before I can apply, or can it wait until it looks like I am on track for hire?

2. I've read that Tampa is one of the more squared away department on the Gulf coast - is this still accurate? I have it very, very good at my current department and would like to keep it that way.

3. I've vacationed in/around Tampa several times, but can anyone speak to what it's like to reside in the area?

4. What's Tampa's use of force policy?

5. Can anyone on here provide updated salary/contract information? I think I saw that they just negotiated with the city, but the city website only has the contract through 2018.

6. Lastly, all I see that the schedule is 4 on 4 off. Can anyone explain how that works? I'm 4 on 2 off

7. What's the comp time like? Do you get your balls busted for using sick time?

Thank you guys in advance, and be safe. I appreciate it.

Unregistered
04-08-2020, 05:58 PM
Some of these questions need to be answered by calling recruiting. Use of force policy is roughly the same as everywhere else. Vacation, sick, comp, and banked holidays are all from their own separate reserves; you aren't going to get shit unless you are abusing it like calling out every Friday. The 4 on 4 off works exactly how it sounds.

Unregistered
04-09-2020, 06:20 PM
Some of these questions need to be answered by calling recruiting. Use of force policy is roughly the same as everywhere else. Vacation, sick, comp, and banked holidays are all from their own separate reserves; you aren't going to get shit unless you are abusing it like calling out every Friday. The 4 on 4 off works exactly how it sounds.

It’s a great area to live, with the exception of the past month. I’m with the Hillsborough Sheriffs Office, so I can’t answer the TPD questions as well as a Tampa Cop. I came down from New York, like everyone else there sick of crap weather. I don’t know what you make in Pennsylvania but I definitely took a pay cut to come down but the cost of living is less, so kind of a wash. You can take the two week training once you’re well into the process. After that you’ll have what we called module for a couple months. Tampa is the same, but called something else. Then you’ll have to go through the FTO. For me going from 4-2 with 8 hour shift to 12 hour shifts took some getting used to but for the SO, you end up getting every other Fri-Sat-Sun off. Way better than only getting part of a weekend off every 7 weeks. I know I highjacked this but you may want to apply to the SO also just to get down here.

Unregistered
04-09-2020, 09:52 PM
I’m interested in coming down from the northeast as well and been looking at TPD. I don’t think I could stomach wearing those white shirts that HCSO wears. Y’all still got them?

Unregistered
04-10-2020, 01:49 AM
I’m interested in coming down from the northeast as well and been looking at TPD. I don’t think I could stomach wearing those white shirts that HCSO wears. Y’all still got them?

That’s fine as long as you understand nobody gives a shiit how it’s done up naaaawth.

Unregistered
04-10-2020, 02:31 AM
I don’t have exact numbers but at end of this three year contract MPO makes 100k. Take home car and nobody gives a shit when you take time off don’t think I have ever been denied or had anything ever said about it. Schedule is 4 on 4 off the best schedule I’ve ever worked you only work half a year. More off duty details than you could ever work. Excellent pension for retirement. Negatives we have an echo maniac a—hole for a chief but god willing he will be gone soon. If your a democrat please stay up there have too many here messing the state up already.

Unregistered
04-10-2020, 05:20 AM
I came from up north to TPD. The chief comment is 100% spot on hopefully he will be gone before he ruins this place. As far as departments go definitely one of the best around still. Large enough to do just about anything in policing but small enough so your not just a number. Best paid around with a great pension. SO guys try to claim they don’t “pay into state retirement “ but they pay into social security we don’t so it evens out only our retirement is significantly better. Time off is rarely ever an issue and most CPL’s or SGT’s will work it out to your benefit.
Over all I got no complaints. Body cameras coming that’s gonna change a lot and be a moral killer here but it is everywhere.

Unregistered
04-10-2020, 03:25 PM
That’s fine as long as you understand nobody gives a shiit how it’s done up naaaawth.

There’s a reason why I’m leaving the north and want to come down there! Only thing I will say is we have professional courtesy way better than down south and our unions are stronger, at least from what I’ve heard. A cop doesn’t write a cop or jam a cop up for shit up here.

Seriously though, whose decision was it to have road patrol wearing white shirts? I remember growing up and seeing them on episodes of COPS

Unregistered
04-10-2020, 03:28 PM
I work for an agency roughly half the size of TPD so it’s nice knowing that it’s not crazy huge where you’re just a number, although I’m sure that applies in some instances. I’ve had a body cam my whole career so it’s not something I’m worried about and doesn’t really affect much for me.

I did see an article about 3 guys getting fired, something about them not citing people for weed and just tossing it or something like that? Is that not normal practice down there and are you guys required to seize all narcotics you come across? Maybe my agency is different but I can find dope on someone and toss it if I’m gonna flip them, even if it was on body cam.

Housing in the area seems extremely reasonable which is another attractive part of the Tampa area. Do most guys live in the county or what?

Unregistered
04-10-2020, 07:10 PM
There’s a reason why I’m leaving the north and want to come down there! Only thing I will say is we have professional courtesy way better than down south and our unions are stronger, at least from what I’ve heard. A cop doesn’t write a cop or jam a cop up for shit up here.

Seriously though, whose decision was it to have road patrol wearing white shirts? I remember growing up and seeing them on episodes of COPS

You sound like a dipshit. I’d say stay where you are, we don’t need a problem from your agency becoming our problem. Keep flipping them druggies Serpico.

Unregistered
04-10-2020, 07:33 PM
You’re really that butt hurt because I think your uniforms, which are out of your control, are ugly. God you must be a blast to work with

Unregistered
04-11-2020, 12:13 AM
*Original Poster*

Tons of great info here! Thank you guys! Few more follow ups.

How does an 11.4 hour shift work? Do you have to stay for 24 minutes? Is there a morning, afternoon (I guess it would be similar to seconds), and night shift? What are the odds that a new guy would get assigned to night shift? That's where I like to be.

What's an MPO?

Tampa PD is unionized or no? My department has a very strong union, which is awesome for when admin gets dumb and it's great for contract negotiations... But on the other hand it protects the lazy slobs.

Is there opportunity to become proactive or is it too busy? I've really come to enjoy drug interdiction work.

Thanks and be safe.

Unregistered
04-11-2020, 12:40 AM

Yeah get used to the screwed up, ass backwards Florida way of doing things.

Unregistered
04-11-2020, 12:54 AM
MPO I believe is master police officer and that’s when you reach top step. I think current contract it’s 11 years for MPO. Correct me if I’m wrong.

Unregistered
04-11-2020, 05:59 AM
Day evening and nights 11.4 hours. Proactive depends on what area you work. New Tampa you can be as proactive all you want other sectors not so much more of a call taker. We shift bid every year so if you don’t like your hours or area you work you can bid out based on seniority. Unions are stronger in the north. We have a contract and binding arbitration usually depends on how an arbitrator rules just like up north. You like dope and are good at it you can work your way onto a drug unit. Personally think there are too many of them along with Violent Crimes Unit, seems violent crimes are threw the roof and they don’t do shit. Seems like several shootings nightly sometimes and robberies don’t even try to track them too many to count.

Unregistered
04-13-2020, 11:11 PM
The guy from HSCO seems like the exact weenie who would jam another cop up because of his “moral compass” and “nobody is above the law”. Nobody cares about weed and who wants to waste their time with it. Throw it on the side of the road and look for bigger and better things. FL seems to not have professional courtesy and usually because of the SO’s, hence this guy in the thread...

Unregistered
04-13-2020, 11:50 PM
Dont fool yourself, there is no professinal courtesy amongst the new hires anymore. The thin blue line is now gone since all the old timers are gone and there is nobody to teach what true professional courtesy is. It is all about the numbers now so you are just another number to the new guys. Rookies training rookies in all the departments around here and they come out of the FTO program believing they are everyone's equal. God forbid you yell at them because they run and complain. There are a lot of good Deputies at the S.O. but their hands are tied by their administration. The tools that come onto other message boards to talk crap should not be the true reflection of the dept.

Unregistered
04-14-2020, 01:23 AM
Perfect, glad you guys cleared that up.

As someone who wants to move to a bigger dept with more room for advancement, how’s TPD? I have no problem taking calls and taking paper, I’m not the type to come on the job and think I’m God’s next gift to the dept. and deserve a spot on a unit in 2 years. I’m a hard worker and eventually would like to do something like that but everyone’s gotta put their time in.

Anyone able to post the pursuit policy or a general statement about it? I’ve realized through my short career that most aren’t worth the danger and I see you guys have an air unit, does that help our?

TPD’s benefits seem extremely good especially for the cost of living in the area.

Unregistered
04-14-2020, 07:10 AM
Pursuit policy really. Who cares we’re the best paid around. But if you must know our pursuit policy is the most liberal in the Bay Area. Stolen cars, burglary or any forcible felony. And yes helicopter is great they do a kick ass job.

Unregistered
04-14-2020, 03:21 PM
You’re really that butt hurt because I think your uniforms, which are out of your control, are ugly. God you must be a blast to work with

Nobody cares what you think of the Sheriffs Uniforms, or anything else. Your chances of getting hired at TPD are pretty poor unless you have connections here. We have hundreds of transfer applicants from cops already Florida Certified. There are a lot of security guard companies down here that may be impressed with your 3 year police career.

Unregistered
04-14-2020, 06:11 PM
You have realized through your short career pursuits aren’t worth it??? What?? Please stay up north we need real cops we have enough sissy’s already. Cops these days are nothing more than call takers this profession is done with idiots like this poster. Or should I says “poser”

Unregistered
04-14-2020, 09:54 PM
Cops are our own worst enemies holy smokes.

I’ll chase anything and love to, I’m simply saying most of the time it ends up being for some nonsense like a suspended license or a bullshit court warrant. It’s like when you meet a 10 at the bar and take her home but she says she’s on her period. Give me the good stuff ya know.

Unregistered
04-15-2020, 02:03 PM
It is Cowboys like you that cost Departments millions of dollars and restricted pursuit policies. You lack the common sense to know that high speed pursuits usually end with unnecessary injury to the public and should be reserved for serious crime as Tampa does. You could care less if your out-of-control chase slams into an unsuspectimg family so long as you get your nut fir the day chasing something. It is guys like you that start pursuits over some bullshit charge just for the thrill of chasing some guy with nothing to lose. Then you spout off to a supervisor who cancels your pursuit rather than letting you put his mortgage at risk too. We chase what needs to be chased here in Tampa and our Air Service is usually there to take it over anyway so you wont be able to fill you excitement for the day. We have seen plenty of Super Cops like you over the years and most, if not all, have been tamed or fired.

Unregistered
04-15-2020, 06:20 PM
Nah it ain’t, all my pursuits have been in policy. I’m glad Tampa has an air unit for that too, that’s ultimately probably the safest way to “pursue” vehicles.

Unregistered
04-15-2020, 06:49 PM
That's awesome that you have an air unit.

What are the hours for evening shift?

Unregistered
04-16-2020, 04:33 PM
Nah it ain’t, all my pursuits have been in policy. I’m glad Tampa has an air unit for that too, that’s ultimately probably the safest way to “pursue” vehicles.

Please share your fantasy police career elsewhere.

Unregistered
04-16-2020, 04:45 PM
So many losers on this website. Shout out to the good guys providing solid info here, appreciate it.

Unregistered
04-16-2020, 06:58 PM
So many losers on this website. Shout out to the good guys providing solid info here, appreciate it.

Good bye Super Cop!

Unregistered
04-16-2020, 07:06 PM
Good bye Super Cop!

I can’t wait for him to tell us about all his pursuits, all those dope arrests he makes and then the ones where he tosses the dope so he can flip the skel and make him an informant. Soon they’ll be no crime in our fair city by the bay!!!!!

Unregistered
04-26-2020, 12:19 PM
What’s your guys take home car policy? What counties can I live in?