PDA

View Full Version : How Much Lower Can We Go, The Bar has Been Set Very Low,Vote NO!!!

Unregistered
10-20-2018, 03:00 PM
It is of my opinion, that if we take the contract that was presented, we are setting the bar really low on what the County knows we will take but on what we expect from our union.

A couple of questions:

If the off-duty rate goes to $50 an hour, how much is the county going to charge the vendors. Because if they continue to raise the off-duty rate to the vendors, we might out price ourselves. It would be cheaper to just hire 2 armed guards at that price.

Comp. time limit has been raised. Ok, so you can take more time off. Don't forget that you also have to work more to get to the limit. Don't see any benefit there.

Annual has been raised. That is also great. Now, if you work more or take comp time when your off you will have more annual time. Again, I don't see the benefit.

Well, if you work more and don't use your time you can sell it back. That sounds fantastic, if I understood it correct. The problem is, that you are selling your time at a cheaper rate and paying yourself.

I want a raise in the form of a COLA. Can they later lower the certification increase?

Be civil when responding.

Unregistered
10-20-2018, 03:36 PM
Not only are you 100% correct that all it’s dowing is allowing the collection of more time (something that you give yourself, not the county giving you) but in many scale we are working so short handed you can’t even freely take it as you please.
And the way I see it stop dividing us among ourselves and knock all that stuff off and give us a 4% cola tomeveryone. That way it’s no jealousy and it’s the county actually giving something.
How many times has Gimenez said publicly that the county came out of its financial crisis and in a better shape than any other time in history. Well, we the employees sacrificed for that to happen. Yes we got it all back but now it’s time to give a livable raise. They want people to live in Miami Dade but countless articles have proven we can’t and this so many moving up to Broward or palm beach.
A clean cola as you suggest without all the all complex stuff that makes no justified sense is a better approach. The only way to accomplish that at this point is for us to vote the contract down and ask that they go back to the county, simplify it and as you said a decent cola.
Rejecting the first offer is not unusual. In the end we all will benefit from it

Unregistered
10-20-2018, 04:13 PM
agree with both post %10000 , we need to make in our own not on raises BBBBBBBSSSSSS contract

Unregistered
10-20-2018, 05:08 PM
💯 AGREE. Voting NO

Unregistered
10-20-2018, 05:24 PM
Here’s where you guys went wrong by not sticking with John Rivera (I am no rivera fan by any means, but follow my logic for a moment)

What you need in a representative to send to the negotiation table is a person who IS NOT a county, and specifically NOT an MDPD employee. So that he/she would actually have the capability to tell Giminez to pound sand.

Ever actually read a Table of Organization Chart ? Giminez is above ALL the people you have sent to negotiate with him.
Well, except Shriver – he actually was county manager at one point and would know when Gimenez is bluffing and when he isn’t, maybe that’s why the PBA hired him. Still a bad choice (many character flaws). Alex Penelas was the mayor, and I believe he still has a decent reputation. Penelas would have been a better choice. (Stierheim would have been too expensive).

RIVERA is retired, he is no longer a county employee or an MDPD employee. He could tell them all to besito his culo. And he probably would too.

Greenwell is retired too I think, but he is not the PRESIDENT, so the negotiatiors are going to discount what he has to say.
So, to summarize, you needed a strong, opinionated, pushy, egotistical type to send in to the negotiation room/table.
Does that sound more like Steadman, or does it sound more like Rivera?

(I ask this because those were the only 2 choices you had for president --- kind of like the other major 2016 election: so who’s personality is more like Trump’s, and who’s personality is more like Hillary’s?? that is a rhetorical question folks.)

Just saying……………………………………………

Unregistered
10-20-2018, 05:54 PM
Before I get accused of being a John Rivera minion, I need to make a brief mea culpa statement:

I am the ex-IRS guy (auditor) who ran for PBA treasurer as a write-in candidate (cause the rules are rigged against the routine membership becoming one of the executive board) back in 1995.

My doing so caused both John Rivera’s and Rick Kolodgy’s (v.p.- & my very QRU ex-road Sgt.) to EXPLODE. Kolodgy called me and demanded to know “What are you trying to do to me and John?”

I simply explained that I wasn’t trying to do anything to him and John, but that I was trying to get to the bottom of all the questionable financial accusations that were contained in all the PBA election flyers that were being mailed to my house (because I was a PBA member).

I also want to point out that my running had absolutely NOTHING to do with the person who was the treasurer at that time, Peggy Christian, she was and I am sure still is, a very nice person (she’s just not an accountant – which I am, or at least was prior to becoming a cop).

Trust me when I say that if a real IRS person had had the same access to those mailings that i/we had received, there would have unquestionably been an audit of the PBA, not by Revenue Agents (Income) such as I had been, but by highly specialized IRS agents from an IRS entity called “Employee Plans and Exempt Organizations” (EPEO)-------(see, they cant function without acronyms either, just like the police department). Those guys were highly trained and very senior agents. They lived for taking a 501©corporation and making is NOT A 501©corporation (WORD keeps inserting the copyright symbol for the letter “c” enclosed by parenthesis).

Anyway, the PBA atty (who eventually became Coral Gables mayor) had me come talk to him to discourage me from running as a write in candidate. I did it anyway.

I didn’t have the heart to author a letter to the EPEO guys (1 of whom I actually knew back then, “Max”) on my own bargaining unit. So I just let the matter drop.

I think I ended up with either 34 or 43 write-in votes (very appropriate either way).

Then the PBA opened up their financial records (unannounced of course) for 1 day for anybody who wanted to inspect them. Well, if nobody knows about it, nobody can inspect it.

So, somebody tried to get the financial truth out of the organization, but THE FIX was definitely “in” so to speak.

Unregistered
10-20-2018, 05:56 PM
"heads" to EXPLODE

Unregistered
10-20-2018, 07:20 PM
When the COLA goes up all barging units in the county get the raise. It’s caused the me to clause and the county is not going to give everyone a big bump. That’s why we get 5% for first responder (specific to MDPD) etc.

Unregistered
10-20-2018, 09:09 PM
When the COLA goes up all barging units in the county get the raise. It’s caused the me to clause and the county is not going to give everyone a big bump. That’s why we get 5% for first responder (specific to MDPD) etc.

Trust me the firefighters would never settle for such a contract. Neither will any other union. PBA is the only one.

Unregistered
10-21-2018, 08:22 AM
It is of my opinion, that if we take the contract that was presented, we are setting the bar really low on what the County knows we will take but on what we expect from our union.

A couple of questions:

If the off-duty rate goes to $50 an hour, how much is the county going to charge the vendors. Because if they continue to raise the off-duty rate to the vendors, we might out price ourselves. It would be cheaper to just hire 2 armed guards at that price.

Comp. time limit has been raised. Ok, so you can take more time off. Don't forget that you also have to work more to get to the limit. Don't see any benefit there.

Annual has been raised. That is also great. Now, if you work more or take comp time when your off you will have more annual time. Again, I don't see the benefit.

Well, if you work more and don't use your time you can sell it back. That sounds fantastic, if I understood it correct. The problem is, that you are selling your time at a cheaper rate and paying yourself.

I want a raise in the form of a COLA. Can they later lower the certification increase?

Be civil when responding.

You were that kid that had one cookie and when the next kid had two you would start crying because you wanted what someone else had. All of you idiots weren’t this vocal when you last president refused to negotiate.Voting No means you will get nothing but that’s better then what you have had for the last eight years right nothing you are getting a 2.5% raise for one year. Not bad for a president who has been there a year yet. Certainly better than our last one...

Unregistered
10-23-2018, 06:03 PM
You were that kid that had one cookie and when the next kid had two you would start crying because you wanted what someone else had. All of you idiots weren’t this vocal when you last president refused to negotiate.Voting No means you will get nothing but that’s better then what you have had for the last eight years right nothing you are getting a 2.5% raise for one year. Not bad for a president who has been there a year yet. Certainly better than our last one...

Steadman stop blaming others. Man up. You are afraid of Gimenez. Simple! It’s like,when you had a drinking problem- you had to first admit your issue.
Now, spin this anyway you want this is a 0%-1%-0% COLA contract. Period.
Additionally it has a 1.5% CJSTC supplement. Period.
Twist it anyway you want and at very best it’s a 2.5% for 3 years. Period. That’s less than 1% per year. Period. Your obsession with a guy you’ll never match up to is beyond exhausting. You took the helm now act like a president and not a little *****. Go back and get us a livable contract.
FOP did it and so can you. But you need to put your big boy pants on. Go a spine. Put Shivers so called talents to work. This contract is a joke.

Unregistered
10-24-2018, 10:42 AM

I seem to remember getting a 4% raise in oct 2016. That contract also had a bunch of other perks like an additional night differential step and other goodies. More importantly that was at the height of PBA’s fight with Giménez.
And, prior to that I remember us getting 13% back that Giménez didn’t want us to have in the first place.
So, if you’re sucking him off shouldn’t you be able to get a much more lucrative office.
I do remember Stahl taking pictures with the guy all over the place and him saying you get more with honey. Well, where’s the more?