PDA

View Full Version : Chitwood and phony, manipulated crime data

Unregistered
04-09-2018, 02:45 PM
After reading this forum for some time, what I don’t understand is why there isn’t more chatter about Chitwood cooking the crime numbers. It’s a well-known fact that he instituted changes shortly after taking office in the way VCSO collects, counts and reports crime data, ordering that multiple offenses in the same geographic area be counted as just one incident to artificially bring down the numbers and give the phony appearance that he’s reducing crime. After all, when ten car breaks magically become one, it's easy to show a reduction in crime. And it's not like it's a secret -- you see it at every single CompStat meeting. We all know that Chitwood is a master at spinning the questionable things he does in a way that actually bolsters his phony image with the public and media as a no-nonsense, tell-it-like-it-is, anti-politically-correct, tough-on-crime law enforcement officer. I realize that many people like and support him purely for this image that he’s skillfully cultivated over the years. To me, it’s the ultimate in style over substance, but I get that some people like that in their Sheriff. But here's what I don't get: There are honest disagreements and differences of opinion about what Chitwood does and the way he does it. Some like him and some don't. I get it. But there’s absolutely no way to disagree or spin cooking the books and manipulating crime data into something positive. It’s not debatable and it’s not opinion. It’s a known fact that that’s what he’s doing. And that’s dishonesty and corruption any way you look at it. So why aren’t we hearing more talk about that? Why isn't the media exposing the hypocrisy and manipulation? Am I wrong? Am I missing something? And if he's willing to manipulate and corrupt crime data to hype his image, what else is he willing to do? Please tell me if I'm wrong.....

Unregistered
04-09-2018, 04:36 PM
I think we can all agree that the veracity of Chitwood leaves a lot to be desired. He is somebody whose history has indicated he is willing to do the easy wrong instead of the hard right. If he has to lie it is just part of the process. And he does have the ability to make citizens think he is the top dog in crime fighting. How? By playing to the media and citizens. How easy is it to call criminals "Scumbags?" It makes for good publicity and makes everybody think he is a real crime fighter. But as you mention with the Compstat and UCR numbers. It is easy to fudge the numbers for property crimes. He has this pattern down to a science. But it is all together a different thing to manipulate the UCR stats for crimes against people. That is why Daytona was classified (by the FBI stats) as the most danger city to live in when he was the chief there.

http://www.newsdaytonabeach.com/wndb-news/fbi-data-shows-daytona-beach-is-the-most-dangerous-city-in-fl/

How does he pull the wool over the eyes of folks? Well...there is the Compstat figures for property crimes.

And he does have the News Journals reporters under tight control (lets not forget that the PIO - Gant and the leading crime reporter for the News Journal - Kustura are dating).

And if a reporter (such as Mr Frederick of the Headline Surfer) dares to speak out they are threatened and not allowed access to reports.

And if a deputy (Hello John Szabo) they are immediately fired.

Such a sad state of affairs.

Unregistered
04-09-2018, 04:44 PM
After reading this forum for some time, what I don’t understand is why there isn’t more chatter about Chitwood cooking the crime numbers. It’s a well-known fact that he instituted changes shortly after taking office in the way VCSO collects, counts and reports crime data, ordering that multiple offenses in the same geographic area be counted as just one incident to artificially bring down the numbers and give the phony appearance that he’s reducing crime. After all, when ten car breaks magically become one, it's easy to show a reduction in crime. And it's not like it's a secret -- you see it at every single CompStat meeting. We all know that Chitwood is a master at spinning the questionable things he does in a way that actually bolsters his phony image with the public and media as a no-nonsense, tell-it-like-it-is, anti-politically-correct, tough-on-crime law enforcement officer. I realize that many people like and support him purely for this image that he’s skillfully cultivated over the years. To me, it’s the ultimate in style over substance, but I get that some people like that in their Sheriff. But here's what I don't get: There are honest disagreements and differences of opinion about what Chitwood does and the way he does it. Some like him and some don't. I get it. But there’s absolutely no way to disagree or spin cooking the books and manipulating crime data into something positive. It’s not debatable and it’s not opinion. It’s a known fact that that’s what he’s doing. And that’s dishonesty and corruption any way you look at it. So why aren’t we hearing more talk about that? Why isn't the media exposing the hypocrisy and manipulation? Am I wrong? Am I missing something? And if he's willing to manipulate and corrupt crime data to hype his image, what else is he willing to do? Please tell me if I'm wrong.....

Sounds like you’re pissing in the wind.

Unregistered
04-09-2018, 05:18 PM
Haven't we seen this before? Chitwood is merely emulating Bob Vogel. Remember when the tough on drugs trooper was launching a one man was against drug traffickers? He was catapulted to the office of Volusia County Sheriff. Then he implemented questionable tactics and was investigated by the Department of Justice. Is it merely a coincidence that Bob Vogel is suddenly the guest of honor at all things VCSO? When the smoke clears what will be left?

Unregistered
04-09-2018, 08:54 PM
Pissing in the wind? But why? Because I'm wrong? Because I'm right, but nobody cares? Please explain....

Unregistered
04-10-2018, 04:32 AM
Pissing in the wind? But why? Because I'm wrong? Because I'm right, but nobody cares? Please explain....

Not because you're wrong. But mostly because nobody (the public) cares. This stuff has been going on for years across the country and we're almost wasting time trying to bring it to the forefront. Personally, I'm just going to do my job the best I can and I'm not going to worry about what our leaders present to the public. It will drive you crazy trying to worry about it. Do the best you can and go home. It's a job.

Unregistered
04-10-2018, 03:11 PM
Sad, but I get it. I really feel bad for the men and women in green. Instilling fear and intimidation is no way to lead an organization. Working for a Sheriff who only has his own back and not yours doesn't exactly inspire hard work, innovation, going the extra mile or positive morale. Keep your heads down and stay safe! The public appreciates and values your service, even if Chitwood doesn't.

Lawman66
04-10-2018, 10:39 PM
I can tell you why the media doesn't jump on his dishonest crime stat reporting. He is now letting the media on active death investigation scenes. He recently took the father of a homicide victim into the scene and was seen standing over the body before any processing was done. He gives up way too much information and compromises every scene. This didn't happen with the two previous Sheriff's. You would never see them in a scene.
And he has Patricio Balona in his back pocket. In part due to him having access to crime scenes but also due to his sanctuary attitude towards illegal immigrants.

Unregistered
04-11-2018, 02:07 AM
I can tell you why the media doesn't jump on his dishonest crime stat reporting. He is now letting the media on active death investigation scenes. He recently took the father of a homicide victim into the scene and was seen standing over the body before any processing was done. He gives up way too much information and compromises every scene. This didn't happen with the two previous Sheriff's. You would never see them in a scene.
And he has Patricio Balona in his back pocket. In part due to him having access to crime scenes but also due to his sanctuary attitude towards illegal immigrants.

Excellent post. And don't forget these other reasons why the media does not do any negative reporting on Chitwood. The PIO (Gant) and the News Journal reporter (Kustura) are dating. And the Headline Surfer reporter (Henry Frederick) was threatened by Chitwood and also barred from having access to public records releases.

Unregistered
04-11-2018, 02:57 AM
Excellent post. And don't forget these other reasons why the media does not do any negative reporting on Chitwood. The PIO (Gant) and the News Journal reporter (Kustura) are dating. And the Headline Surfer reporter (Henry Frederick) was threatened by Chitwood and also barred from having access to public records releases.

So you say.

Unregistered
04-11-2018, 09:54 AM
So you say.

http://headlinesurfer.com/content/reporter-dismissed-small-insignificant-worm-sheriff-mike-chitwood-award-winning-journalism

Unregistered
04-11-2018, 10:54 AM
http://headlinesurfer.com/content/reporter-dismissed-small-insignificant-worm-sheriff-mike-chitwood-award-winning-journalism

Well, I read the article. I must say that I’m not sure which one is more egotistical. The writer of this article seems to whine about his health issues more than the alleged facts at hand. I wish nobody ill will, but seriously? Most of the article talks about his failing health. I question his credibility since now he’s on a witchhunt.

Unregistered
04-11-2018, 12:09 PM
Well, I read the article. I must say that I’m not sure which one is more egotistical. The writer of this article seems to whine about his health issues more than the alleged facts at hand. I wish nobody ill will, but seriously? Most of the article talks about his failing health. I question his credibility since now he’s on a witchhunt.

Frederick's issues with Chitwood started when Frederick won a battle with Chitwood when Chitwood was Chief of Police at Daytona. Chitwood can hold a serious grudge (ask Szabo or others).

And it still does not help for advocates of information with the issue of Balona and Kustura and the News Journal.

Unregistered
04-14-2018, 10:27 PM
Henry Frederick is on to you Chitty (as our probably 80 percent of the deputies).

http://headlinesurfer.com/content/time-hand-sheriff-mike-chitwoods-resignation

Unregistered
04-16-2018, 10:12 PM

You are correct. I have personally witnessed multiple car breaks from 31 zone combined to one case number. I have seen this on two occasions and each time the car breaks spanned almost the entire length of 31 zone and happened overnight.

I have also heard from other deputies about receiving a phone call (not an email) telling them to change the heading on a report. For example burglary to theft. I heard of one instance where a stolen firearm was changed to “lost” when that was clearly not the case.

Unregistered
04-16-2018, 10:29 PM
You are correct. I have personally witnessed multiple car breaks from 31 zone combined to one case number. I have seen this on two occasions and each time the car breaks spanned almost the entire length of 31 zone and happened overnight.

I have also heard from other deputies about receiving a phone call (not an email) telling them to change the heading on a report. For example burglary to theft. I heard of one instance where a stolen firearm was changed to “lost” when that was clearly not the case.

Preach on!!! Lets add the multiple car breaks that happen at Blue Springs, Barkley and Lake Beresford Parks that all get combined to one case number. Give Chitwood a little more time and all the crimes will be reduced to nothing...of course we will have a million more police info's, Suspicious incidents and event numbers....

Unregistered
04-17-2018, 11:32 AM
I wonder why the one guy that is always coming to the defense of Chitty on this site does not want to address the issues (Compstat, providing false numbers) in this thread? Come on Snitchy.....Chitty is needing your help on this thread.

Unregistered
04-17-2018, 12:06 PM
I wonder why the one guy that is always coming to the defense of Chitty on this site does not want to address the issues (Compstat, providing false numbers) in this thread? Come on Snitchy.....Chitty is needing your help on this thread.

Because A) the regular FDLE audit of VCSO already debunked your claims, and B) not everyone is as obsessed with "Chitty" as you are

Unregistered
04-17-2018, 12:33 PM
Because A) the regular FDLE audit of VCSO already debunked your claims, and B) not everyone is as obsessed with "Chitty" as you are

A. Not True....but Chitty appreciates your efforts
B. Not True

C. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drinking_the_Kool-Aid...don't choke

D. Keep it up Snitchy. Chitty loves your efforts

Unregistered
04-17-2018, 12:36 PM
A. Not True....but Chitty appreciates your efforts
B. Not True

C. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drinking_the_Kool-Aid...don't choke

D. Keep it up Snitchy. Chitty loves your efforts

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drinking_the_Kool-Aid

Unregistered
04-17-2018, 01:39 PM

Just because you said the "FDLE audit of VCSO already debunked your claims" does not make it true that Chitwood doctors the UCR stats. There are already folks from top to bottom (Major Case to road deputies) that have indicated there is a doctoring of the crime data numbers. Saying the VCSO does not manipulate crime data would be akin to me saying Chitwood passed his firearms qualification. We both know that both are NOT true. Hope this helps.

Unregistered
04-17-2018, 10:35 PM

You can claim it’s not true, but I have personally witnessed it on reports I have written myself. It is absolutely true.