PDA

View Full Version : Colina talks about putting more Cops back on Street

Unregistered
01-28-2018, 01:46 PM
I’ve heard this 💯 times before. I’m going to take out people that are working inside the station and put them back in patrol. Start with your own staff and stop making recruitment dance videos. This job is not a circus.

Unregistered
01-28-2018, 02:26 PM
Why are we still making videos. Who created that position. What is his job title and description.

Unregistered
01-28-2018, 09:33 PM
I’ve heard this 💯 times before. I’m going to take out people that are working inside the station and put them back in patrol. Start with your own staff and stop making recruitment dance videos. This job is not a circus.

Agree! Given MPD's current state, achieving what Chief Colina has proposed as his aspirational goal will take unwavering leadership and courageous managerial acumen. I hope for the sake of Miami residents in general and MDP's personnel in particular, that Chief Colina has both these attributes.

Start with a mind set that all staffing options are on the table; not for show, but for serious consideration and objective decisions. Start with the premise that no "silver badge," sergeant and lieutenant will be immune from returning to patrol. Start by assessing when and where the City of Miami needs most of its Law Enforcement personnel. Do so by analyzing demands for service by days of the week and times of the day and locations.

Make a paradigm change from the current specialized, "silo" philosophy and engage a more generalist's approach. What? Simple, the onus for problem solving will be delegated to area patrol lieutenants, sergeants and police officers. That's the essence of Community Policing. Lieutenants will manage identified problems by using the SARA problem-solving-model, delegating the tasks to respective area sergeant. The area sergeant will then engage and supervise a team of "ad hoc" police officers to solve the problem or mitigate its effects.

Change too MPD's Patrol Philosophy, assuming there is one. When officers are not engaged in "ad hoc" problem solving tasks or conducting a call for service related preliminary investigation. Command they engage in "preventive patrol details." Meaning officers will take a signal "13" and remain in such signal at CompStat identified problemed locations, Hot Spots and in general, areas based on officers' experience and training have come to know as problematic. Officers should remain at such location for no more than fifteen minutes or clear when calls for service demand it. Here, too, the area sergeants play a significant supervisory role as well. Based on identified data, sergeants will ensure that officers randomly and intermittently circulate through these collations as frequently as demands for service and problem solving assignments permit. Adequately staffed platoons and squads will ensure that most bases are covered. Of course, policing dynamics often preclude such aspirational objectives, but generally most are. This patrol strategy, according to the "Koper Curve theory," engenders a ubiquitous police presence in the service area and generally that is the case.

What officers do while engaged in Hot Spot patrol matters. Sitting in the patrol car, talking on the cell phone with the "significant other;" not paying attention to the behavioral dynamics at the Hot Spot is a waste of time and money. Moreover, dangerous as a violent offender [it has happened in NYC] can turn the officer's head into a canoe. Again, experience and training must dictate officers' behavior at Hot Spots. Get out of the patrol car, assume a mental "low ready" posture and observe the evolving behavioral activities in play. In other words, assume an observant command presence! Should officers observe suspect behaviors, consistent with those identified by FSS 901.151, The Florida Stop and Frisk Law, engage. By engaging we mean initiate preliminary investigations consistent with the authority FSS 901.151 grants police officers. Whether or not an arrest or citation follows will be dictated by the facts uncovered and not because officers must meet an implicit arrest and citation quota.

“Nothing in the world is worth having or worth doing unless it means effort, pain, difficulty… I have never in my life envied a human being who led an easy life. I have envied a great many people who led difficult lives and led them well.”

― Theodore Roosevelt

Godspeed Chief Jorge Colina

http://www.ncjp.org/index.php?q=strategic-planning/justice-applications/sara-problem-solving-model

https://www.policefoundation.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/PF_FiveThings_HotSpotsPolicing_Handout_Rev6.23.15. pdf

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/21/nyregion/two-police-officers-shot-in-their-patrol-car-in-brooklyn.html

Unregistered
01-29-2018, 01:57 AM
Every new chief, say's the same thing, more cops back out on the street. It last's at most a couple of months. Those that get send back to the street are the one's special units want out to make room for a buddy. We gain 1 to lose 1, within a week or two. Beside some of us see a new unit being made, to address the problem areas' and concern's. Like we don't have enough already. You'll fine soon, some commands (SIS) to name 1, that will show a need to grow, so the midget can follow his daddy. 2 employed here that have more pictures taken of them by media, that they both need to be to really be in a unit, that must remain secret on the personnel assign there. Also, some positions will be able to be covered by PSA's or other's. So, the budget has to come from somewhere to hire more. OURS!

Unregistered
01-29-2018, 11:16 AM
I guess Magnusson is not only back in South Florida (saw him at promotion ceremony) but now he is trolling this board with his verbal vomit.

You left years ago & we have been fine without you. Go enjoy your retirement and stop trying to impress us with your written prose.

Agree! Given MPD's current state, achieving what Chief Colina has proposed as his aspirational goal will take unwavering leadership and courageous managerial acumen. I hope for the sake of Miami residents in general and MDP's personnel in particular, that Chief Colina has both these attributes.

Start with a mind set that all staffing options are on the table; not for show, but for serious consideration and objective decisions. Start with the premise that no "silver badge," sergeant and lieutenant will be immune from returning to patrol. Start by assessing when and where the City of Miami needs most of its Law Enforcement personnel. Do so by analyzing demands for service by days of the week and times of the day and locations.

Make a paradigm change from the current specialized, "silo" philosophy and engage a more generalist's approach. What? Simple, the onus for problem solving will be delegated to area patrol lieutenants, sergeants and police officers. That's the essence of Community Policing. Lieutenants will manage identified problems by using the SARA problem-solving-model, delegating the tasks to respective area sergeant. The area sergeant will then engage and supervise a team of "ad hoc" police officers to solve the problem or mitigate its effects.

Change too MPD's Patrol Philosophy, assuming there is one. When officers are not engaged in "ad hoc" problem solving tasks or conducting a call for service related preliminary investigation. Command they engage in "preventive patrol details." Meaning officers will take a signal "13" and remain in such signal at CompStat identified problemed locations, Hot Spots and in general, areas based on officers' experience and training have come to know as problematic. Officers should remain at such location for no more than fifteen minutes or clear when calls for service demand it. Here, too, the area sergeants play a significant supervisory role as well. Based on identified data, sergeants will ensure that officers randomly and intermittently circulate through these collations as frequently as demands for service and problem solving assignments permit. Adequately staffed platoons and squads will ensure that most bases are covered. Of course, policing dynamics often preclude such aspirational objectives, but generally most are. This patrol strategy, according to the "Koper Curve theory," engenders a ubiquitous police presence in the service area and generally that is the case.

What officers do while engaged in Hot Spot patrol matters. Sitting in the patrol car, talking on the cell phone with the "significant other;" not paying attention to the behavioral dynamics at the Hot Spot is a waste of time and money. Moreover, dangerous as a violent offender [it has happened in NYC] can turn the officer's head into a canoe. Again, experience and training must dictate officers' behavior at Hot Spots. Get out of the patrol car, assume a mental "low ready" posture and observe the evolving behavioral activities in play. In other words, assume an observant command presence! Should officers observe suspect behaviors, consistent with those identified by FSS 901.151, The Florida Stop and Frisk Law, engage. By engaging we mean initiate preliminary investigations consistent with the authority FSS 901.151 grants police officers. Whether or not an arrest or citation follows will be dictated by the facts uncovered and not because officers must meet an implicit arrest and citation quota.

“Nothing in the world is worth having or worth doing unless it means effort, pain, difficulty… I have never in my life envied a human being who led an easy life. I have envied a great many people who led difficult lives and led them well.”

― Theodore Roosevelt

http://www.ncjp.org/index.php?q=strategic-planning/justice-applications/sara-problem-solving-model

https://www.policefoundation.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/PF_FiveThings_HotSpotsPolicing_Handout_Rev6.23.15. pdf

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/21/nyregion/two-police-officers-shot-in-their-patrol-car-in-brooklyn.html

Unregistered
01-29-2018, 02:30 PM
As long as lugo and Whortiz are safe and working long 3 hr days all is good

Unregistered
01-29-2018, 03:56 PM
Until the wrong person gets F**KED and cries to his sugar daddy at city hall or some commander wants to make room in a unit for some hot, new piece of snatch that has just come on.

Unregistered
02-04-2018, 09:31 PM
So far it seems Colina will continue to do the same things that have been done before, albeit with different names or acronyms, while expecting different and positive results. Colina, that's insanity! Instead rise above failures of the past and wield uncommon leadership and managerial acumen by implementing what we recommended previously and replicated below: And no my intellectually challenged fellow, it is not Magnusson!

Agree! Given MPD's current state, achieving what Chief Colina has proposed as his aspirational goal will take unwavering leadership and courageous managerial acumen. I hope for Miami residents' sake in general and MDP's personnel in particular, that Chief Colina has both these attributes.

― Theodore Roosevelt

Unregistered
02-04-2018, 10:44 PM
I love it how lost this people are

Unregistered
02-05-2018, 02:52 AM
I guess Magnusson is not only back in South Florida (saw him at promotion ceremony) but now he is trolling this board with his verbal vomit.

You left years ago & we have been fine without you. Go enjoy your retirement and stop trying to impress us with your written prose.

Sailor, if Magnusson does not take you out to the dustbowl
Or sauna and beat your. A$$$.. I will. Stand down sailor that's an order!

Unregistered
02-05-2018, 04:15 AM

Lost? No, we are not! We just see things as they are and ask why can we not do a better job? .

Unregistered
02-05-2018, 04:57 PM
No chief, promoted from within will rock the boat. He's a city hall yes man and do boy!

Unregistered
02-05-2018, 06:19 PM

The one I love the most is Natalie and Richard Perez. You put both together, you can not get 1 half decent Policeman. They both they know Police work. They are actually two great *ss kissers.

Unregistered
02-06-2018, 12:27 AM
Get all the desk jockey out and all that fake injuries to stay in doors just change their days off to work the weekends and you will see how fast they get cured

Unregistered
02-06-2018, 04:28 PM
Sailor, if Magnusson does not take you out to the dustbowl
Or sauna and beat your. A$$$.. I will. Stand down sailor that's an order!

What is with you and saunas?