PDA

View Full Version : New Promotional Policy

Unregistered
12-18-2016, 03:20 AM
If you don't take a promotion where sergeant, lieutenant, or captains have openings even though you know there is a future spot in your area within the current list. You will not have a chance for another position. If you're in Jacksonville and there is an opening in Tampa, that's where you go or wait till next year. No one is filling positions in certain troops a Tallahassee is fed up.

Unregistered
12-18-2016, 04:10 AM
WTF are you saying?

Unregistered
12-18-2016, 04:41 AM
If you don't take a promotion where sergeant, lieutenant, or captains have openings even though you know there is a future spot in your area within the current list. You will not have a chance for another position. If you're in Jacksonville and there is an opening in Tampa, that's where you go or wait till next year. No one is filling positions in certain troops a Tallahassee is fed up.

You're going to have to clean this up!!!! Horrible, just horrible.

Unregistered
12-18-2016, 10:37 AM
i thought this would be about the new rule that one now gets 5-15 points added to their promotional exam simply for being a military veteran. seems if youre a vet, you might only need to make a 60 on the promotional exam to make this cut now. seems legit.

Unregistered
12-18-2016, 02:41 PM
I'm all for a veteran with proper experience getting promoted, but giving test points is wrong. They have our resumes, and they do an interview. That's where appropriate candidates separate themselves from others. Then they would be higher on the list and more likely for promotion, as opposed to promoting someone who can't get a 75 on the test.

Unregistered
12-18-2016, 03:33 PM
I'm all for a veteran with proper experience getting promoted, but giving test points is wrong. They have our resumes, and they do an interview. That's where appropriate candidates separate themselves from others. Then they would be higher on the list and more likely for promotion, as opposed to promoting someone who can't get a 75 on the test.

That's unfair thanks light colonel.

Unregistered
12-18-2016, 04:11 PM

Please take some remedial grammar courses in preparation for your GED exam and learn to properly write English.

Unregistered
12-18-2016, 04:35 PM
Please take some remedial grammar courses in preparation for your GED exam and learn to properly write English.

Why? This is FHP. Small issues like "inability to communicate properly in the English language" are not bars to employment or promotion here. He/she will probably be your next supervisor!

Unregistered
12-18-2016, 05:02 PM
They are fed up? Are they, really? What about constantly training future Deputies and Officers, are they fed up with it? What about one Trooper going from a crash to another in a large jurisdiction, are they fed up?

Unregistered
12-18-2016, 05:10 PM
i thought this would be about the new rule that one now gets 5-15 points added to their promotional exam simply for being a military veteran. seems if youre a vet, you might only need to make a 60 on the promotional exam to make this cut now. seems legit.

If you learn how to write and learn how to better explain yourself, then maybe you can pass the test and not worry about free passes.

Unregistered
12-19-2016, 04:02 AM
You must make a written score of a 75 or higher to move forward. Now the veterans preference is MANDATED by State and Federal law. It has nothing to do with Mike Thomas.

Unregistered
12-19-2016, 04:22 AM
You must make a written score of a 75 or higher to move forward. Now the veterans preference is MANDATED by State and Federal law. It has nothing to do with Mike Thomas.

Which law? Which Florida statute mandates veterans preference in promotion not hiring? 295.07 only mandates preference in hiring and retention (protection from being laid off) .

Unregistered
12-19-2016, 11:19 AM
yeah its for hiring. i have no problem with that.

Unregistered
12-19-2016, 11:19 PM
I'm a veteran. However, I don't agree with getting extra points for promotions. Hiring is different. The promotional system should be fair and equitable for all. I studied my arse off to get promoted. I have friends who are not veterans that studied just as hard, if not harder for their promotion. And this agency wonders why morale is always low!

Unregistered
12-20-2016, 03:04 AM

Per State Statute, points are supposed to be added for veterans preference. The amount of points awarded is dependent upon the status one has a veteran, however, the statute does say the points shall be added to a passing score. The points cannot be used to bring a failing score up to passing.

Unregistered
12-20-2016, 04:18 AM
Per State Statute, points are supposed to be added for veterans preference. The amount of points awarded is dependent upon the status one has a veteran, however, the statute does say the points shall be added to a passing score. The points cannot be used to bring a failing score up to passing.

Which statute?

Unregistered
12-20-2016, 12:21 PM

Show us the statute relating to promotions. So, the Patrol and others have been violating the law until now?

Unregistered
12-20-2016, 01:10 PM
There is no state or federal law that assigns Vet points to promotional exams. Why would you think that you deserve points on the promotional exam anyways? As a Vet I agree with points assigned at hiring but would not expect anything for the promotional exams.

I am 10 point combat injured Vet and I see so many of these people who go into the reserves or are non combat FOBITS expecting some kind of hand out or some to kiss their A** because of their service. News Flash you VOLUNTEERED and NOBODY OWES YOU ANYTHING!. Yes I went into the military hoping to use some of the benefits that it provided. IE SChool points for federal jobs ect. However I also join to SERVE my country I have 2 Degrees and 10 points Vet pef and guess what I am still waiting on the hiring lists of three Federal LE agencies. Being beaten out by non Vets with Masters and PHd's. Such is life I am now using whats left of my GI bill to get my Masters. The world doesnt owe me anything!!

Unregistered
12-21-2016, 03:06 PM
There is no state or federal law that assigns Vet points to promotional exams. Why would you think that you deserve points on the promotional exam anyways? As a Vet I agree with points assigned at hiring but would not expect anything for the promotional exams.

I am 10 point combat injured Vet and I see so many of these people who go into the reserves or are non combat FOBITS expecting some kind of hand out or some to kiss their A** because of their service. News Flash you VOLUNTEERED and NOBODY OWES YOU ANYTHING!. Yes I went into the military hoping to use some of the benefits that it provided. IE SChool points for federal jobs ect. However I also join to SERVE my country I have 2 Degrees and 10 points Vet pef and guess what I am still waiting on the hiring lists of three Federal LE agencies. Being beaten out by non Vets with Masters and PHd's. Such is life I am now using whats left of my GI bill to get my Masters. The world doesnt owe me anything!!

Well said, I am also a combat vet, with a Bachelor's and i dont want any extra pts. I dont wants handouts and i have been competing with those who have graduate degrees. Now i will pursue and higher degree to be more marketable. It is what it is.

Unregistered
12-21-2016, 07:18 PM
Well said, I am also a combat vet, with a Bachelor's and i dont want any extra pts. I dont wants handouts and i have been competing with those who have graduate degrees. Now i will pursue and higher degree to be more marketable. It is what it is.

Thank you a Vet with a similar mind set. I didnt ask for or want handouts, I too will finish up my graduate degree to make me more marketable.

Unregistered
12-21-2016, 07:42 PM

Is it a Mountain State degree? Did you pass the grammar part of it? No wonder you are still here.

Unregistered
12-21-2016, 10:35 PM
Veteran's Preference can only be claimed in the promotional process under certain circumstances.

In short, if the member leaves state employment to serve in the military, and is reinstated within one year after separating from the military, and the discharge is honorable.

FAC 55A-7.010

Unregistered
12-21-2016, 11:09 PM

Hey Genius! Read this, FSS states:

295.08 Positions for which a numeric
ally based selection process is used.—For positions for which an examination is used to determine the qualifications for entrance into employment with the state or political subdivisions in the state, 15 points shall be added to the earned ratings of a person included under s. 295.07(1)(a) or (b), 10 points shall be added to the earned ratings of a person included under s. 295.07(1)(c), (d), or (e), and 5 points shall be added to the earned rating of a person included under s. 295.07(1)(f) or (g), if the person has obtained a qualifying score on the examination for the position. The names of persons eligible for preference shall be entered on an appropriate register or list in accordance with their respective augmented ratings. However, except for classes of positions with Federal Government designations of professional or technician, the names of all persons qualified to receive a 15-point preference whose service-connected disabilities have been rated by the United States Department of Veterans Affairs or its predecessor or the United States Department of Defense to be 30 percent or more shall be placed at the top of the appropriate register or employment list, in accordance with their respective augmented ratings. The respective augmented rating is the examination score or evaluated score in addition to the applicable veteran’s preference points.

Unregistered
12-21-2016, 11:35 PM

295.08 Positions for which a numeric
ally based selection process is used.—For positions for which an examination is used to determine the qualifications for entrance into employment with the state or political subdivisions in the state, 15 points shall be added to the earned ratings of a person included under s. 295.07(1)(a) or (b), 10 points shall be added to the earned ratings of a person included under s. 295.07(1)(c), (d), or (e), and 5 points shall be added to the earned rating of a person included under s. 295.07(1)(f) or (g), if the person has obtained a qualifying score on the examination for the position. The names of persons eligible for preference shall be entered on an appropriate register or list in accordance with their respective augmented ratings. However, except for classes of positions with Federal Government designations of professional or technician, the names of all persons qualified to receive a 15-point preference whose service-connected disabilities have been rated by the United States Department of Veterans Affairs or its predecessor or the United States Department of Defense to be 30 percent or more shall be placed at the top of the appropriate register or employment list, in accordance with their respective augmented ratings. The respective augmented rating is the examination score or evaluated score in addition to the applicable veteran’s preference points.

I believe the the posters argument is not rather or not a veteran receives preference in the hiring, but that the statute only applies for getting the job, and not on the promotion exam.

Unregistered
12-22-2016, 02:13 PM

For positions for which an examination is used to determine the qualifications for entrance into employment.

I did you the favor of taking out all the extra reading. Again to my statement: "There is no federal or state statute that requires Vet Points for promotional exams" Yes I agree with Vets Pref for hiring that is very clearly defined in state statue.

And to the poster that brought up promotions under certain circumstances. You are correct if you are on a promotion list and get pasted over because of a MANDATORY Deployment then yes they have make you "whole" again upon your return.

Unregistered
12-22-2016, 03:34 PM
Which statute?

I stand corrected, veteran's preference applies to new hires, not promotions. There is an administrative code that applies to promotions under strict conditions as previously stated.

Unregistered
12-22-2016, 06:04 PM
I stand corrected, veteran's preference applies to new hires, not promotions. There is an administrative code that applies to promotions under strict conditions as previously stated.

Correct but the admin code does not assign any extra points to Vets. It only allows for making a person "whole" if in the event they are passsed over for promotion due to a mandatory Deployment.

Unregistered
12-22-2016, 06:42 PM
Is it a Mountain State degree? Did you pass the grammar part of it? No wonder you are still here.

Liarton had a Mountain State Degree which got him to the Colonel's position. However what's odd about FHP is the Academy does not qualify for use of the GI Bill. Haven't found an SO yet which DOES NOT QUALIFY for use of the GI Bill and when you go on FTO your GI Bill will continue paying until completion. The VA told me FHP's academy lacks the necessary accreditation to qualify. Maybe that makes a statement about staying with this agency if it can't meet Federal Education/Training Standards. By the way FHP pays Calea hundred's of thousands of dollars every year to maintain Calea standards. Oh and before I forget . . .Mountain State reportedly has gone out of business.

Unregistered
12-23-2016, 01:16 AM
I did you the favor of taking out all the extra reading. Again to my statement: "There is no federal or state statute that requires Vet Points for promotional exams" Yes I agree with Vets Pref for hiring that is very clearly defined in state statue.

And to the poster that brought up promotions under certain circumstances. You are correct if you are on a promotion list and get pasted over because of a MANDATORY Deployment then yes they have make you "whole" again upon your return.

One of the many reasons why I moved froward from FHP to the Federal Government earlier this year is how FHP treats their veterans of military service. While observing the promotion process and now reading some posts from those who claim “vet status”, I’m disappointed in both the patrol and those who claim they served but yet don't want anything in return.

Similar to daily patrol duties, you risked your life during military service and some were even willing to die for their country while your fellow countryman, who didn't serve, sat nice and comfy in their easy chair watching the world “hot spots” unfold on FoxNews. For that, Florida Rule 55A-7.0111 states:

55A-7.0111 Reinstatement or Reemployment; Promotion Preference.
(1) When an employee leaves employment of the state or its political subdivisions for the purpose of serving in the Armed Forces of the United States and is separated therefrom with an honorable discharge, the state or its political subdivision shall reinstate or reemploy such person under the following conditions:
(a) Reinstatement or reemployment is made to the same or to an equivalent position.
(b) Reinstatement or reemployment is made within 1 year of the date of separation from the military service, or, in the case of extended active duty for a required military purpose other than for training, within one year of the date of discharge or separation subsequent to the extension.
(2) Persons reinstated or reemployed under this rule shall be awarded preference in promotion, and shall be promoted ahead of all other employees who are as well or less qualified for the position. When a numerically based selection process is used, such persons shall be eligible for preference points and ranking on the register as provided by Rule 55A-7.010, F.A.C., of this chapter. When a numerically based selection process is not used, Rule 55A-7.011, F.A.C., applies. Eligibility for preference in promotion shall apply only to a veteran’s first promotion after reinstatement or reemployment, without exception.
(3) If the reinstated or reemployed person is not promoted, the person retains promotion preference eligibility until the first promotion following reemployment is satisfied.
(4) Where the reinstated or reemployed person is not promoted and the register is vacated to establish a new register for the next promotion, such person shall retain eligibility for preference points and ranking on the new register as provided by Rule 55A-7.010, F.A.C.

For the FHP veterans, claim what you deserve on your first promotion and fight for what the patrol or the State of Florida does not return to you. After all, you earned it and you SHOULD rise above those whom you compete against for promotion….both Statue and Rule applies!

Unregistered
12-23-2016, 01:21 AM
I received the GI Bill while attending the Academy sorry you are either a liar or incompetent.