PDA

View Full Version : Dallas pd will get a 25% raise

Unregistered
12-15-2016, 10:10 AM
Nearly 100 Dallas Officers Quit, ‘Most Experienced Officers’
Dallas, TX – Nearly 100 Dallas officers have quit since October 2016 leaving the department severely understaffed, and recruiters working at an exhaustive pace.
On Monday Interim Police Chief David Pughes informed City Council members that the department needs to fill the next police academy class with with 60 officers, but to date they have only hired 30 for the February class. Since last year the department has had what has been described by many as being a “mass exodus” of Dallas officers leaving for a wide range of reasons.

According to several news sources, the department’s personnel level shrunk to 3,252, which is a level far below the department’s benchmark around 3,500 officers. The department’s goal is to hire 449 new officers this year in order to make up for attrition, but that goal appears to be an uphill battle unless city council acts swiftly. The city previously discussed adding an additional 200 officers above the 3,500, but in light of the dire staffing circumstances, that idea was scraped.
In an exclusive interview with CBS 11, the Dallas Police Association president, Mike Mata, was quoted as saying, “I think most of those 99 were tenured officers, so those are our most experienced officers, the majority investigative detectives who solve crimes everyday.” A loss of experiences officers on such a large scale can have devastating impact on the community, and the officers who remain with few veterans to rely on for guidance.
Many are placing blame of this mass exodus of experienced officers on the Dallas Police Department itself. Grumblings from Dallas officers citing low pay, problems with police pension fund, and rising crime are some of the most common complaints. The spike in crime comes in the wake of the ambush sniper murder of five officers who were working to secure the rights of protesters at a Black Lives Matter rally in July 2016. These are some of the more common complaints from the Dallas officers. Dallas officers make almost $8,000 less a year than Fort Worth police which have a starting salary of $52,176. Dallas officers’ starting pay is $44.658.

On Wednesday, (tomorrow) the Dallas City Council, after months of negotiations, have finally agreed to hold a vote on a new contract for Dallas officers, fire and paramedics. The terms of that contract reflect that Dallas officers will receive merit increases of 10% the first year, 5% second year, and 10% third year.
Dallas Police Association President Mike Mata said, “Those individuals who possibly were thinking of leaving, yes, I think this prevents them from leaving. It helps them stay,” said Mata. “So it was definitely a move in the right direction.”

Unregistered
12-15-2016, 11:08 AM
Nearly 100 Dallas Officers Quit, ‘Most Experienced Officers’
Dallas, TX – Nearly 100 Dallas officers have quit since October 2016 leaving the department severely understaffed, and recruiters working at an exhaustive pace.
On Monday Interim Police Chief David Pughes informed City Council members that the department needs to fill the next police academy class with with 60 officers, but to date they have only hired 30 for the February class. Since last year the department has had what has been described by many as being a “mass exodus” of Dallas officers leaving for a wide range of reasons.

According to several news sources, the department’s personnel level shrunk to 3,252, which is a level far below the department’s benchmark around 3,500 officers. The department’s goal is to hire 449 new officers this year in order to make up for attrition, but that goal appears to be an uphill battle unless city council acts swiftly. The city previously discussed adding an additional 200 officers above the 3,500, but in light of the dire staffing circumstances, that idea was scraped.
In an exclusive interview with CBS 11, the Dallas Police Association president, Mike Mata, was quoted as saying, “I think most of those 99 were tenured officers, so those are our most experienced officers, the majority investigative detectives who solve crimes everyday.” A loss of experiences officers on such a large scale can have devastating impact on the community, and the officers who remain with few veterans to rely on for guidance.
Many are placing blame of this mass exodus of experienced officers on the Dallas Police Department itself. Grumblings from Dallas officers citing low pay, problems with police pension fund, and rising crime are some of the most common complaints. The spike in crime comes in the wake of the ambush sniper murder of five officers who were working to secure the rights of protesters at a Black Lives Matter rally in July 2016. These are some of the more common complaints from the Dallas officers. Dallas officers make almost $8,000 less a year than Fort Worth police which have a starting salary of $52,176. Dallas officers’ starting pay is $44.658.

On Wednesday, (tomorrow) the Dallas City Council, after months of negotiations, have finally agreed to hold a vote on a new contract for Dallas officers, fire and paramedics. The terms of that contract reflect that Dallas officers will receive merit increases of 10% the first year, 5% second year, and 10% third year.
Dallas Police Association President Mike Mata said, “Those individuals who possibly were thinking of leaving, yes, I think this prevents them from leaving. It helps them stay,” said Mata. “So it was definitely a move in the right direction.”

Fiscal year 2017 --FHP Troopers are to receive nothing (management get's ??)
Troopers to get swift kick in the ARSE which will raise them about 2" off the ground!!
Fiscal year 2018 --FHP Troopers are to receive nothing (management get's ??)
Same kick in the Arse.
Fiscal year 2019 --FHP Troopers are to receive nothing (management get's ??)
Same kick in the Arse.

Got the picture. You guys are the brightest "bulb" in the pack!!

Unregistered
12-15-2016, 11:11 AM
People don't want to get shot by some thug for 44k a year?!? Damn, this is shocking news!

Unregistered
12-15-2016, 12:19 PM
State law enforcement will never see a raise like this or like the one in Georgia. The problem is the citizens dont care about all of us because they dont know there are 3000 of us doing the job. If we were all one unit it would help a lot but still is will not do enough because of other issues.

The first is we are not all united. If we would all get together and stand up and support each other instead of looking down on others in the other state agencies would be the biggest start. The only way I could ever see this even happening is if they merge all of the units into one. 3000 is better than 1500, 500, 200, 200, etc.. oh and for those who say its the Sheriff's and Chief's that will stop this, they dont care and even they suggested a full merger when Scott was elected. The ones that dont want this are the agency directors and assistant directors because thier easy 100k jobs (and future jobs) will be on the line. Those are the ones who dont want a merger the two associations could care less becuse it would never effect them but would help them to add a unified state agency to assist when they need them instead of trying to figure out which one to call for help with this issue.

Next we would need to have a legislation that would break the mold and bind the future legislation to step plan. This would allow us to have a path. The current one proposed is nice but we all know it will never work. The plan is also flawed because it stops at 10 years and does nothing past that. I dont understand this. Plus with DMS not wanting to negotiate has shown it is going nowhere.

Then we would need a strong union. We either get one of 2 types. We get the PBA type that has some nice points because they know the players in Tally but are also in bed with these players. We dont need a union that will hug a member while stabing them in the back. On the other hand we get IUPA who will go to Tally and steamroll over those who stomp on the members making sure the members rights and the contract is enforced but in the process will never get a pay raise since the state does not get their way. We need the best of these 2 unions to be able to move forward.

These are the 3 issues that are stopping us from getting anything for us. I hope it does change but will not hold my breath because I know change takes forever and there are so many fighting it we will always take 2 steps forward and 1.75 steps back.

Unregistered
12-15-2016, 02:23 PM
You knew what you were getting when you signed up with FHP. If you're still a Trooper after 2, 3, or even 5 years, you have no right to b!tch about your crappy pay - do something about it or shut the @#$% up!

Unregistered
12-15-2016, 11:35 PM
State law enforcement will never see a raise like this or like the one in Georgia. The problem is the citizens dont care about all of us because they dont know there are 3000 of us doing the job. If we were all one unit it would help a lot but still is will not do enough because of other issues.

The first is we are not all united. If we would all get together and stand up and support each other instead of looking down on others in the other state agencies would be the biggest start. The only way I could ever see this even happening is if they merge all of the units into one. 3000 is better than 1500, 500, 200, 200, etc.. oh and for those who say its the Sheriff's and Chief's that will stop this, they dont care and even they suggested a full merger when Scott was elected. The ones that dont want this are the agency directors and assistant directors because thier easy 100k jobs (and future jobs) will be on the line. Those are the ones who dont want a merger the two associations could care less becuse it would never effect them but would help them to add a unified state agency to assist when they need them instead of trying to figure out which one to call for help with this issue.

Next we would need to have a legislation that would break the mold and bind the future legislation to step plan. This would allow us to have a path. The current one proposed is nice but we all know it will never work. The plan is also flawed because it stops at 10 years and does nothing past that. I dont understand this. Plus with DMS not wanting to negotiate has shown it is going nowhere.

Then we would need a strong union. We either get one of 2 types. We get the PBA type that has some nice points because they know the players in Tally but are also in bed with these players. We dont need a union that will hug a member while stabing them in the back. On the other hand we get IUPA who will go to Tally and steamroll over those who stomp on the members making sure the members rights and the contract is enforced but in the process will never get a pay raise since the state does not get their way. We need the best of these 2 unions to be able to move forward.

These are the 3 issues that are stopping us from getting anything for us. I hope it does change but will not hold my breath because I know change takes forever and there are so many fighting it we will always take 2 steps forward and 1.75 steps back.

I don't think that whether the citizen care or not is the issue, unless many Floridians were to protest and threaten our State politicians to not re-elect them, my guess is that the legislators don't give a **** period.
IF they want to look some facts, they can easily find a couple small rural SO where a Deputy gets actually a bit less $$$ than a Trooper, they will tell you that you are paid to go through the academy, while most other LEO in FL sponsor themselves (except Miami PD and Miami Dade PD where they hire mostly non certified applicants).
Sadly if you want more $$$ you should just put an application with a PD or an SO, or another State Agency if you are willing to relocate out of state.

Unregistered
12-16-2016, 09:06 PM

When Scott was first elected the talk went from merging all state leo's to limiting the jurisdiction of FHP. All the talk of merging took a back seat thanks to putting a sheriff on the committee board. He sure knew how to deflect the topic and here we all are still separated. The Sheriff's love to ***** about how we don't do this or that yet they are the first to scream "someone's trying to create a state police" when the talk of merging comes up.

Unregistered
12-16-2016, 11:46 PM
When Scott was first elected the talk went from merging all state leo's to limiting the jurisdiction of FHP. All the talk of merging took a back seat thanks to putting a sheriff on the committee board. He sure knew how to deflect the topic and here we all are still separated. The Sheriff's love to ***** about how we don't do this or that yet they are the first to scream "someone's trying to create a state police" when the talk of merging comes up.

they don't want to merge with YOU deal with it and quit crying!

Unregistered
12-17-2016, 07:13 AM
they don't want to merge with YOU deal with it and quit crying!
As the Bandit once said, "Sheriff, do the letters F.O. mean anything to you!"

Unregistered
12-17-2016, 04:55 PM

FHP needs a union to support only FHP! ONe of the consistent reasons for no raise, is that the state cannot afford to give all LEOs a raise. We all know that the state can afford to do just about whatever the policy makers choose to do, so a raise is a choice made by the legislature.

Forming the FHP Chpater of PBA was suppposed to solve the issue. Nope, didn't happen. FHP needs a strong, hard charging collective bargaining unit that has the ability to negotiate and not make enemies. Its called statesmanship.