PDA

View Full Version : Online Training - Safety/Effectiveness

Unregistered
04-11-2016, 02:50 AM
Recently, FHP command sent word down through the entire state about troopers not having all of their online training segments current and completed. So everyone had to stop what they were doing and finish any of their online training courses. Kicker is, the system assigns DUE DATES to the courses and most of us were not due yet.

Another part of this topic - it may sound a little paranoid to those who are not in the know and do not keep up with the violence against police, but it is very hard to find a safe place where no one can approach you (and internal affairs won't open a case against you), and it is incredibly dangerous to be glued to a video and computer (because your attention is suppose to be on learning the content) while you are exposed out in the real world.

So a couple of questions.

1. What is the point of having online training due dates if command isn't going to go by them????
2. Just how effective do you think the online training is, when you have to complete it while driving crash to crash (because there just isn't a safe place or you are that busy)?
3. What would FDLE think about training being mandated in this way?
4. Why can't we have dedicated time in a safe environment to learn?
5. Does anyone really think this stuff is effective when done this way? Are we just going through the motions?

Unregistered
04-11-2016, 12:22 PM
Recently, FHP command sent word down through the entire state about troopers not having all of their online training segments current and completed. So everyone had to stop what they were doing and finish any of their online training courses. Kicker is, the system assigns DUE DATES to the courses and most of us were not due yet.

Another part of this topic - it may sound a little paranoid to those who are not in the know and do not keep up with the violence against police, but it is very hard to find a safe place where no one can approach you (and internal affairs won't open a case against you), and it is incredibly dangerous to be glued to a video and computer (because your attention is suppose to be on learning the content) while you are exposed out in the real world.

So a couple of questions.

1. What is the point of having online training due dates if command isn't going to go by them????
2. Just how effective do you think the online training is, when you have to complete it while driving crash to crash (because there just isn't a safe place or you are that busy)?
3. What would FDLE think about training being mandated in this way?
4. Why can't we have dedicated time in a safe environment to learn?
5. Does anyone really think this stuff is effective when done this way? Are we just going through the motions?

iLearn was being migrated to a new host, so while there were due dates put in place by FHP, those dates were trumped by DHSMV's order to clear out all outstanding iLearn's Department-wide prior to the migration. Everyone in the Department, not just FHP, had to clear their open iLearn's by the migration date even if their individual division had a later due date.

As for FDLE, I'm sure they're quite OK with online training since they publish quite a bit of their own.

Unregistered
04-11-2016, 09:27 PM
And everyone in the upper command staff is probationary and trying to make a name for themselves by showing how good of a job they are doing beating deadlines.

Unregistered
04-12-2016, 01:50 AM
With all the issues that could be debated, some moron has to whine about learning policies he has to follow. If this is the biggest problem you can come up with, please count your blessings.

Unregistered
04-12-2016, 11:40 AM
What if they made you goto tallahassee for every iLearn? That would suck.

Unregistered
04-12-2016, 11:38 PM
iLearn was being migrated to a new host, so while there were due dates put in place by FHP, those dates were trumped by DHSMV's order to clear out all outstanding iLearn's Department-wide prior to the migration. Everyone in the Department, not just FHP, had to clear their open iLearn's by the migration date even if their individual division had a later due date.

As for FDLE, I'm sure they're quite OK with online training since they publish quite a bit of their own.

Nothing wrong with doing iLearns.
But there is with trying to do them while working crashes, or running radar out in public - where people walk up on you, or see you trying to watch while driving.

The iLearns are pretty limited to start with. When we have to multi-task like that, I don't get anything at all out them.

There's a time and place for them. And it's not during patrol.

Unregistered
04-13-2016, 01:31 AM
And everyone in the upper command staff is probationary and trying to make a name for themselves by showing how good of a job they are doing beating deadlines.

The upper command are never off probation, they are SES, so your point is useless.

Unregistered
04-13-2016, 01:04 PM
ILearn and PowerDMS are NOT FHP programs. They are both used by agencies across the country. If you think we are overwhelmed with ILearns and PowerDMS you should ask people from other departments aboht theirs. I know of one agency in southwest Florida that basically uses Power DMS like an email system. Imagine having to sign off on every email that we get?

Unregistered
04-13-2016, 04:21 PM
ILearn and PowerDMS are NOT FHP programs. They are both used by agencies across the country. If you think we are overwhelmed with ILearns and PowerDMS you should ask people from other departments aboht theirs. I know of one agency in southwest Florida that basically uses Power DMS like an email system. Imagine having to sign off on every email that we get?

Signing off on emails...? Ohkay. Emails are already a paper trail. I wouldn't put the thought past FHP, but you demonstrate how incredibly stupid government and inefficient government is.

Like texting, it's only a matter of time 'til some LEO does something stupid while doing an iLearn (like crashes into someone), or gets hurt (like a bad guy walking up on you) because they are distracted by the iLearn - because their agency (like FHP) doesn't allow them proper time and place to go do the training.

Unregistered
04-18-2016, 03:31 AM
We should have dedicated time to go to the station to do these iLearn trainings, so we don't have to worry about some cop hating crack head sneaking up on us while we are glued to the computer.

Unregistered
04-18-2016, 04:24 PM
Simple solution. Promote from tomorrow's test off the road as a superior like I did and sit at your own desk each and every day waiting for new ilearns and power dms to pop up. Complete immediately and harass your squad of lazy, no good for nothing troopers to hump calls and get their crap done. Simple as that, so stop being a stupid bottom feeding trooper and get those stripes like me!!

Unregistered
04-27-2016, 03:16 AM
We should have dedicated time to go to the station to do these iLearn trainings, so we don't have to worry about some cop hating crack head sneaking up on us while we are glued to the computer.

It's true. But what you gonna do

Unregistered
05-10-2016, 09:42 AM
Simple solution. Promote from tomorrow's test off the road as a superior like I did and sit at your own desk each and every day waiting for new ilearns and power dms to pop up. Complete immediately and harass your squad of lazy, no good for nothing troopers to hump calls and get their crap done. Simple as that, so stop being a stupid bottom feeding trooper and get those stripes like me!!

On a side note, having stripes really doesn't do anything except make you responsible for more stuff.
It doesn't automatically give you any more authority or respect, and my Sgt says it's just as hard to get anything done as it was as a trooper. I believe this.

Unregistered
05-11-2016, 10:15 AM

Yeah, true.

Unregistered
01-18-2017, 09:26 PM
Signing off on emails...? Ohkay. Emails are already a paper trail. I wouldn't put the thought past FHP, but you demonstrate how incredibly stupid government and inefficient government is.

Like texting, it's only a matter of time 'til some LEO does something stupid while doing an iLearn (like crashes into someone), or gets hurt (like a bad guy walking up on you) because they are distracted by the iLearn - because their agency (like FHP) doesn't allow them proper time and place to go do the training.

FHP is pretty stupid. Sort of like them sending out the list of pending items that aren't no due yet because they won't actually look to see who in particular is past due. Just lazy.

Then expecting people to do office work like listening to a hour video and answer questions in a cramped car while worried about ambush situations out in public view.

Unregistered
01-19-2017, 11:49 AM
FHP is pretty stupid. Sort of like them sending out the list of pending items that aren't no due yet because they won't actually look to see who in particular is past due. Just lazy.

Then expecting people to do office work like listening to a hour video and answer questions in a cramped car while worried about ambush situations out in public view.

Officer safety is one thing. However, if you are that scared, perhaps you need to look into another line of work.