PDA

View Full Version : New Sheriff's

Unregistered
04-07-2016, 06:26 PM
I just wanted to get a feel from the other troopers around the state where they stand, opinions etc. on any new incoming sheriffs in your area. I know the county I work is getting a new sheriff because the current sheriff is retiring. I know some of yall work more than one county as well. I know we dont deal directly with the Sheriff however if the Office gets a new leader the rest of the department can potentially change how things go down. I know some troopers don't like some local sheriffs because of his or her lack of support for FHP. Is your area having that problem? I am aware that some sheriffs are huge supporters of FHP, and would like to hear they are running again for office.

*Disclaimer* This post is not to stir political debate or bad mouth the patrol or the local SO. It is intended on starting an intelligent conversation of the nature of the patrol in your area and how much, if any, a new sheriff may or may not affect your/our job. Thanks.

Unregistered
04-08-2016, 01:51 AM
I just wanted to get a feel from the other troopers around the state where they stand, opinions etc. on any new incoming sheriffs in your area. I know the county I work is getting a new sheriff because the current sheriff is retiring. I know some of yall work more than one county as well. I know we dont deal directly with the Sheriff however if the Office gets a new leader the rest of the department can potentially change how things go down. I know some troopers don't like some local sheriffs because of his or her lack of support for FHP. Is your area having that problem? I am aware that some sheriffs are huge supporters of FHP, and would like to hear they are running again for office.

*Disclaimer* This post is not to stir political debate or bad mouth the patrol or the local SO. It is intended on starting an intelligent conversation of the nature of the patrol in your area and how much, if any, a new sheriff may or may not affect your/our job. Thanks.

Here in Polk County we're Sheriff's Grady Judd's number 1 agency . . .to get rid of!! You know . . .I think he's got it right.

Unregistered
04-08-2016, 07:00 AM
Here in Polk County we're Sheriff's Grady Judd's number 1 agency . . .to get rid of!! You know . . .I think he's got it right.

Ya I heard he tells his deputies to beat FHP to a crash. I heard they have their own THI as well. Do you know if he running un-opposed?

Unregistered
04-08-2016, 01:16 PM
The St. Lucie county sheriff has no use for FHP.

Unregistered
04-08-2016, 02:25 PM

The only sheriffs that like FHP are the small counties, especially in North Florida.

Unregistered
04-08-2016, 02:38 PM

I don't think Mascara has THI.

Unregistered
04-08-2016, 06:58 PM
The only sheriffs that like FHP are the small counties, especially in North Florida.

I disagree. Hillsborough County Sheriff is a supporter of FHP. By supporter, I mean he's not actively out to stick it to us. It's not a matter of which sheriff likes FHP or not. They are elected officials and trust me, they are not running around worrying about a few troopers per county.

Unregistered
04-08-2016, 08:12 PM
I disagree. Hillsborough County Sheriff is a supporter of FHP. By supporter, I mean he's not actively out to stick it to us. It's not a matter of which sheriff likes FHP or not. They are elected officials and trust me, they are not running around worrying about a few troopers per county.

1. I would imagine the Sheriff of Hillsborough County is a supporter of FHP, given the fact that his son is a Trooper.
2. The second part of your statement is factually incorrect. I've been in meetings where the Troop Commander told us to "slow down" (and he wasn't referring to our driving speed) in certain areas of the County because the Sheriff himself was getting uncomfortable with the number of citations written.

Sheriffs run the show in LE here. It doesn't matter if you wear green, blue or tan....he (or she in Alachua and Highlands County) sets the tone and everyone else falls in line. Here's some examples.

A few years ago FHP considered the idea of asking the Sheriff of Orange County at the or time to start working wrecks (like they do in South Florida) and the Sheriff told FHP "absolutely not".... and that was the end of it.

When Larry Campbell was Sheriff of Leon, there was a brief time where the Tallahassee city council and the media was making an issue out of his policy to assign Deputies to zones within the city of Tallahassee. He pretty much said " I'm the Sheriff, that's how it's always been done, and that's how it will always be done" And that was the end of it. He pushed through consolidated dispatch so now LCSO and TPD are on the same frequency.

Before Capitol Police had its own SRT, Campbell also convinced FDLE to make LCSO's SWAT team the designated tactical responder to the Capitol even though it's in the middle of downtown Tallahassee.

Unregistered
04-11-2016, 12:11 AM
1. I would imagine the Sheriff of Hillsborough County is a supporter of FHP, given the fact that his son is a Trooper.
2. The second part of your statement is factually incorrect. I've been in meetings where the Troop Commander told us to "slow down" (and he wasn't referring to our driving speed) in certain areas of the County because the Sheriff himself was getting uncomfortable with the number of citations written.

Sheriffs run the show in LE here. It doesn't matter if you wear green, blue or tan....he (or she in Alachua and Highlands County) sets the tone and everyone else falls in line. Here's some examples.

A few years ago FHP considered the idea of asking the Sheriff of Orange County at the or time to start working wrecks (like they do in South Florida) and the Sheriff told FHP "absolutely not".... and that was the end of it.

When Larry Campbell was Sheriff of Leon, there was a brief time where the Tallahassee city council and the media was making an issue out of his policy to assign Deputies to zones within the city of Tallahassee. He pretty much said " I'm the Sheriff, that's how it's always been done, and that's how it will always be done" And that was the end of it. He pushed through consolidated dispatch so now LCSO and TPD are on the same frequency.

Before Capitol Police had its own SRT, Campbell also convinced FDLE to make LCSO's SWAT team the designated tactical responder to the Capitol even though it's in the middle of downtown Tallahassee.

Okay, why don't the state just get rid of all other LE agencies and become a police state with just the Sheriff?

Unregistered
04-12-2016, 05:55 PM
Okay, why don't the state just get rid of all other LE agencies and become a police state with just the Sheriff?

Not sure what you mean by "Police State", but i think any officer, Trooper, Deputy Etc. who is a lover of Liberty would not want a "Police State" If that's what you want, Cuba and Venezuela are a short flight away.

Unregistered
04-13-2016, 02:26 PM
I don't think Mascara has THI.

No, he does not, but he works all crashes that aren't on the interstate and some that are. We had a hireback on SR70 for quite a while. He hated that. He told a sergeant that was working out there that had stopped his girlfriend, that we had no business being out there and belonged on the interstate. Of course he lives out there and we were stopping his neighbors and what not...
He was one that voted for abolishing FHP in Scott's cost saving study....

Unregistered
04-26-2016, 08:42 PM
No, he does not, but he works all crashes that aren't on the interstate and some that are. We had a hireback on SR70 for quite a while. He hated that. He told a sergeant that was working out there that had stopped his girlfriend, that we had no business being out there and belonged on the interstate. Of course he lives out there and we were stopping his neighbors and what not...
He was one that voted for abolishing FHP in Scott's cost saving study....

You can thank D. Frye for all that he did for FHP/SLCSO relations during his time there.

Unregistered
04-29-2016, 04:39 PM
Does any trooper on here know or have worked with Steve Theodoropoulos. He was a trooper and is now running for Osceola Sheriff. Any thoughts?

Unregistered
04-30-2016, 02:18 AM
"Theo" as he was called bounced in and out of FHP a few times. He ran a circus (no joke) for a while. Was an air marshal a while. Not a bad guy just never stayed long in phone place.

Unregistered
04-30-2016, 01:11 PM
Does any trooper on here know or have worked with Steve Theodoropoulos. He was a trooper and is now running for Osceola Sheriff. Any thoughts?

He was fired from the FAMS for abusing his GOV issued credit card.

Unregistered
05-01-2016, 08:07 AM
Thanks for the input.