PDA

View Full Version : Sgt List

Unregistered
02-24-2015, 12:20 AM
Rumor has it that it is done, but they had to do a little " massaging" to get it finalized.

Unregistered
02-24-2015, 12:33 AM
When will it be released? Will it be organized by political affiliations or some other demographic?

Unregistered
02-24-2015, 01:06 AM
When will it be released? Will it be organized by political affiliations or some other demographic?

Yes to both

Unregistered
02-24-2015, 10:52 PM
It is out. 138 people on it. Congratulations to those that passed.

Unregistered
02-24-2015, 11:36 PM
I told you I passed, I cheated my butt off and had a couple of my buddies/monitors look the other way. I will be in the first round and get to pick where I want to go.

Good luck suckers, it pays to cheat!

Unregistered
02-25-2015, 02:41 AM
For those of you that wondered who set the curve, just look at the last name on the list.

Unregistered
02-25-2015, 04:31 PM
can someone post the list please

Unregistered
02-25-2015, 06:49 PM
The top four scorers were Ronnie, Bobby, Ricky and Mike.

Unregistered
02-25-2015, 08:32 PM
Who let the dog out?

Unregistered
02-26-2015, 12:36 AM
5 points for veterans preference. Another 5 points for being deployed while a BSO employee. Top 3 are vets. 4 of top 6 as well.

Unregistered
02-26-2015, 02:38 AM
Right so technically the top 2 are Michelle and Melissa. Good job ladies. You both earned the top spots. Got it without needing extra points. Earned it fair

Unregistered
02-26-2015, 03:08 AM
If Sheriff handles this list the way he has handled other recent lists, he goes right down the list in order of rankings (except for his "rule of 5" discretionary picks). The rankings are real and count for something.

Unregistered
02-26-2015, 03:33 AM
How many Sgts were made during the last list?

Unregistered
02-26-2015, 04:28 AM
There were a total of 28 sergeants made last round

Unregistered
02-26-2015, 05:48 AM
Isn't Melissa entitled to veteran's preference?

Unregistered
02-26-2015, 01:27 PM
5 points for veterans preference. Another 5 points for being deployed while a BSO employee. Top 3 are vets. 4 of top 6 as well.

Veterans preference is set by state law. Nothing you can do about that if you aren't a veteran.

Unregistered
02-26-2015, 02:44 PM
If Sheriff handles this list the way he has handled other recent lists, he goes right down the list in order of rankings (except for his "rule of 5" discretionary picks). The rankings are real and count for something.

The rankings on the last list were not followed in exact order. There were several good cops who were passed over. The discretionary picks make a joke out of the whole testing process. It is insulting to everyone involved. So, do not kid yourself that the new list will be any different.

Unregistered
02-26-2015, 02:53 PM
Veterans preference is set by state law. Nothing you can do about that if you aren't a veteran.

Veteran preference should only matter for new hires. Once in the same position, two deputies should be considered equal.

Unregistered
02-26-2015, 04:45 PM
Veteran preference should only matter for new hires. Once in the same position, two deputies should be considered equal.

Perhaps true as a personal feeling ... but that isn't what the law says.

Unregistered
02-26-2015, 04:58 PM
Imagine if Sergeants were picked straight down the list? Just because you can pass an exam doesn't mean you'll be a good supervisor.

Unregistered
02-26-2015, 05:01 PM
Still better from when Jenne and Lamedirty were around. Especially the last round of promos right before Lamo left

Unregistered
02-26-2015, 07:35 PM
Imagine if Sergeants were picked straight down the list? Just because you can pass an exam doesn't mean you'll be a good supervisor.

There is more to it than just an exam. You are not going to rank in the top 25% if you are an idiot. If you are one of the potential "good supervisors" then you should study hard & earn your spot on the list.

Unregistered
02-26-2015, 07:48 PM
If you were not deployed while working for BSO, no points. If you were deployed while working at BSO, 10 points. No five points for having been in the military before you were hired by BSO, correct?

Unregistered
02-26-2015, 09:11 PM
There is more to it than just an exam. You are not going to rank in the top 25% if you are an idiot. If you are one of the potential "good supervisors" then you should study hard & earn your spot on the list.

I would take my chances with a bad supervisor who studies hard, over a clown who gets magic wanded from the bottom of the list. Follow the order of the list or just go back to the pass fail system.

Unregistered
02-26-2015, 10:25 PM
If you were not deployed while working for BSO, no points. If you were deployed while working at BSO, 10 points. No five points for having been in the military before you were hired by BSO, correct?

I think that is how it works. Plus there are 5 points, I think, if you have some service connected disability from that deployment while working at BSO. Not totally sure.

Unregistered
02-26-2015, 11:51 PM
The rankings on the last list were not followed in exact order. There were several good cops who were passed over. The discretionary picks make a joke out of the whole testing process. It is insulting to everyone involved. So, do not kid yourself that the new list will be any different.

And that's why it took almost 2 weeks to post said list. A little tweaking.

Unregistered
02-27-2015, 12:47 AM
And that's why it took almost 2 weeks to post said list. A little tweaking.

The top twenty five people on the list look very strong.

Unregistered
02-27-2015, 12:49 AM
If you think the lost was tweeked, look who's dead last on the list

Unregistered
02-27-2015, 12:51 AM
oops *list

Unregistered
02-27-2015, 12:52 AM

I agree with this comment 100%.

A lot of people pass and at the end have a really bad moral character.

Appoint them all. There should be a way to include that I the test. A lot of
A.H.s. already Sgts., Lts., at least our good sheriff keep those at bay.

Unregistered
02-27-2015, 02:41 AM
If you think the lost was tweeked, look who's dead last on the list

You can not fix stupid

Unregistered
02-27-2015, 02:59 AM
I agree with this comment 100%.

A lot of people pass and at the end have a really bad moral character.

Appoint them all. There should be a way to include that I the test. A lot of
A.H.s. already Sgts., Lts., at least our good sheriff keep those at bay.

So, you want @zz kissers instead of AH's?

Unregistered
02-27-2015, 05:49 AM
You can not fix stupid

True. If he gets promoted it will be the ultimate FU to everyone else on the list.

Unregistered
02-27-2015, 04:08 PM
How does MB end up so low on the list after scoring the highest on the written? That seems a little suspicious to me.

I'm not saying she would be a good supervisor. Just calling it like I see it.

Unregistered
02-27-2015, 05:56 PM
How does MB end up so low on the list after scoring the highest on the written? That seems a little suspicious to me.

I'm not saying she would be a good supervisor. Just calling it like I see it.

That's easy the real test is the assessment. That's where they find out if your prepared and if you can think on your feet. The variation on the assessment scores is much wider than the equally weighted multiple choice test.

Unregistered
02-27-2015, 06:06 PM
That's easy the real test is the assessment. That's where they find out if your prepared and if you can think on your feet. The variation on the assessment scores is much wider than the equally weighted multiple choice test.

So apparently she went into the assessment and drooled all over herself for a few minutes. Gotcha.

Unregistered
02-27-2015, 07:14 PM
Already promoted, so n dog in this fight. I love and respect the veterans for their service, which we all should have to do a couple years of, but that's another thread. Veterans preference can only be used once. I'll bet more than one of those 'preferred' on this list used their one shot to get hired. Then they can't use it again for promotion.

10 points is absolutely ridiculous on a 100 point scale. It leap-frogs the veterans over too many who did better. And why double points if you were deployed while a deputy? You already received double pay for 240 hours each year deployed. How about 1 point for veterans preference, 1 point for every 5 years of BSO service, 1 point for bachelors, 1 point for masters, etc for a max of 5 points no matter what?

The sheriff should also go straight down the list, unless his free pick is used to skip some obviously unqualified person, who although eligible to test, has previously demonstrated poor judgement by being demoted, arrested, hugely disciplined, etc. there are a couple of those on the list. If someone is a moron but good test taker they ca be weeded out during probation. That is if they would actually use probation correctly instead of as a rubber stamp. The length of the list is also a joke. Why would we need more than 50 names on a 2 year list? Oh, I forgot, so they can skip way down after the first 10 or so.

Congrats to all any way. The process is a ***** and will never make everyone happy.

Unregistered
02-27-2015, 08:16 PM
Veterans preference can only be used once.

That's the old law. Legislature changed it a year or two ago. Now you get another veteran's preference each time you get deployed after a return to work here.

Unregistered
02-27-2015, 08:47 PM
Military veterans more often than not a more prepared to be supervisors anyway.

Unregistered
02-27-2015, 09:58 PM
Military veterans more often than not a more prepared to be supervisors anyway.

Such an ignorant statement. So if you are not a veteran, you are somehow less prepared to be a supervisor? Try growing a brain!

Unregistered
02-27-2015, 10:09 PM
So apparently she went into the assessment and drooled all over herself for a few minutes. Gotcha.

Ask anyone who has tested more than once to compare their assessment scores. Should be similar with slight improvement unless you have had some sort of head injury. However the results are erratic because the test is subjective which makes it flawed.

Unregistered
02-27-2015, 11:05 PM
Such an ignorant statement. So if you are not a veteran, you are somehow less prepared to be a supervisor? Try growing a brain!

I said "more often than not" meaning its not always the case. I believe the average cop with a military background is typically a better employee than the ones without military experience. This is actually a pretty common opinion that is shared by the private sector.

One thing the military is good at though (at least in my experience) is teaching the principles of supervision. Additionally, the supervisory experience one can receive in the military correlates closely with our profession.

Whatever the case, your displeasure with the law is no different than your typical speeder having sour grapes after receiving a speeding ticket. It's the law and everyone knew it going in. It's there for a perfectly good reason just like those speed limit signs on the side of the road.

Unregistered
02-28-2015, 11:25 AM
You get 5 veterans points if you deployed while employed by BSO. 10 points if you saw combat during that deployment and 15 points if you have a service connected disability. By law when you get hired they have to use the veterans points even if you said you didn't not want to use them and save them for promotion.

Unregistered
02-28-2015, 01:32 PM
I personally know a few of the deps in the 70-90 ranking and believe they would be good fair supervisors. These tests do not mean you will be a good sgt, which everyone knows if they have been here long enough. We need supervisors who will not try to screw people just to make a name for themselves to get ahead. I've worked for many sgts over my 20+ years and just offering my opinion.

Unregistered
02-28-2015, 02:12 PM
All this crying about veterans preference and who should or shouldn't make a good supervisor.

Cheat cheat and more cheat. I scored high and will get promoted. I don't care if I suck as a supervisor just make probation and then it's showtime.

Got a few people in mind that got on my bad side in the many years I've been here. Lol don't be scared...... you know who you are.

Unregistered
02-28-2015, 02:22 PM
I said "more often than not" meaning its not always the case. I believe the average cop with a military background is typically a better employee than the ones without military experience. This is actually a pretty common opinion that is shared by the private sector.

One thing the military is good at though (at least in my experience) is teaching the principles of supervision. Additionally, the supervisory experience one can receive in the military correlates closely with our profession.

Whatever the case, your displeasure with the law is no different than your typical speeder having sour grapes after receiving a speeding ticket. It's the law and everyone knew it going in. It's there for a perfectly good reason just like those speed limit signs on the side of the road.

The intent of the law is to reward people who risk their lives in service of their country which is a good thing. However, let's not pretend being in the military is going to make someone a better leader than someone who was not in the military. If that were true they wouldn't need to be given extra points to get them to a portion of the list which increases their chance of promotion. I liked the post that suggested points for years of service, education, specialized units, and other variables that are strong indicators of someone that would make a good leader. Perhaps the strongest factors would be work product, education, and frankly what your Sgt.s you have worked for have to say about you. And did you put forth the effort to get yourself to a place on the list where you should be taken seriously. Whether you had extra points or not.

Unregistered
02-28-2015, 02:40 PM
The intent of the law is to reward people who risk their lives in service of their country which is a good thing. However, let's not pretend being in the military is going to make someone a better leader than someone who was not in the military. If that were true they wouldn't need to be given extra points to get them to a portion of the list which increases their chance of promotion. I liked the post that suggested points for years of service, education, specialized units, and other variables that are strong indicators of someone that would make a good leader. Perhaps the strongest factors would be work product, and education. And did you put forth the effort to get yourself to a place on the list where you should be taken seriously. Whether you had extra points or not.

Additionally, none of the military preference candidates on this list necessarily needed the points as they all did well regardless. In fact the top 25-30 on this list are all very strong candidates. A lot of experience and education in that group.

Unregistered
02-28-2015, 03:06 PM
I personally know a few of the deps in the 70-90 ranking and believe they would be good fair supervisors. These tests do not mean you will be a good sgt, which everyone knows if they have been here long enough. We need supervisors who will not try to screw people just to make a name for themselves to get ahead. I've worked for many sgts over my 20+ years and just offering my opinion.

You're opinion is noted. However, when people get skipped in favor of someone much lower on the list it does two things. It damages the credibility of the process and it destroys morale. It also weakens the position because people are winking at each other when those promotions are made. Mostly because the sense of fair play is lost. I am confident that our Sheriff will do the honorable thing with this list. Regardless of what anyone here says I will maintain that confidence unless and until proven otherwise.

Unregistered
02-28-2015, 03:16 PM
Many departments throughout the country weight promotional exams by seniority. It seems the average is around 10% of the overall score. How come our department does not do this? It seems a deputy with fifteen years experience would fair better as a supervisor over one with five years on the job.

Unregistered
02-28-2015, 03:19 PM
You're opinion is noted. However, when people get skipped in favor of someone much lower on the list it does two things. It damages the credibility of the process and it destroys morale. It also weakens the position because people are winking at each other when those promotions are made. Mostly because the sense of fair play is lost. I am confident that our Sheriff will do the honorable thing with this list. Regardless of what anyone here says I will maintain that confidence unless and until proven otherwise.

It was already proven otherwise on the last list.

Unregistered
02-28-2015, 03:38 PM
It was already proven otherwise on the last list.

Once again I am confident that the honorable thing will be done with this list.

Unregistered
03-06-2015, 11:58 AM
Congrats to all who got the call!!!!!