PDA

View Full Version : Applying to pasco county from Palm Beach County, is it worth it??

Unregistered
11-13-2014, 04:30 AM
Greetings,

I am certified and looking for employment.

I am located in Palm Beach County and things around here arnt looking great job wise so i decided to expand my search,
I have a PT test scheduled for the 20th of Nov. It will be a 4 hour drive there and back for each step of the process.

My question is what is it like working for the county. I have decided that i will give two years to a department to get my foot in the door then see where i go from there. For me the most important thing is getting experience. Im looking for a department with high call volume and diversity in the calls for service so I can best gain experience.

Here in Palm Beach County the Sheriffs office has contracts with most of the cities and towns. there are really only a hand full of municipalities with the rest being patrolled and serviced by the SO.

Is this how Pasco county is ??

Aslo if i did get picked up is there a place they generally stick the new hires?? For us down here, every rookie goes straight to Belle Glade once off FTO( the most roughest part of the county )

Also can anyone direct me to map of the county that is patrolled and serviced by the SO vs city departments.

Thank you all for the insight.

Unregistered
11-13-2014, 10:15 PM
Do yourself a favor. STAY THERE ! WERE SINKING FAST !

MOD 1
11-14-2014, 12:17 AM
I will give you what info I can as an outsider. Pasco SO is a busy agency that runs from call to call. They handle all of the calls in the unincorporated parts of the county. The cities of New Port Richey, Port Richey, Dade City, and Zephyrhills have their own police departments. There are no contract cities that I know of. Not sure what San Antonio does for law enforcement.

My understanding is that after FTO the new recruits go where ever the most need is.

That's about all I can tell you other than what I read here on the Message Boards.

Mod 1

Unregistered
11-14-2014, 12:25 AM
thank you both very much. I need work bad but im worried about relocating and regretting it before im even out of FTO.

I know all agencies have their issues but from what i have read on here ive become very concerned.

Keep the opinions and info coming guys the PT test is on the 20th so i have a little time to pull out if i can.

Unregistered
11-14-2014, 01:52 AM
Not for anything but I hope HR looks at this post. It wouldn't be hard to pick you out. Just look for the home address. Our FTOs are getting thin here, especially the good ones. We need more dedicated recruits not just another guy wanting to use us as a two year stepping stone. If you have experience just go to somewhere you want and not the first place that gives you a call.

Unregistered
11-14-2014, 03:04 AM
If its a great agency then I would have no issues riding out a full career there. But when I come onto this forum and see nothing but negative threads about leadership and staff it raises concerns for me, especially given relocating and such.

Trust me, I would much rather not start retirement over again after two years but I have told my self I will stay with any agency I start with for a minimum of two years and then see what my experience has been like.

I dont think anything i have said would indicate that I am not committed, especially due to the fact that I am considering on traveling all that way for the whole process and relocating for an agency I really have no idea about.

All I can do is look at the county website, the news and forums like this for intel. I am just trying to make an informed decision for my future as an officer.

Thank you for your input and opinion, its good to know that the skill level of the FTO's are not the best right now according to you and that most new recruits ( my possible future back up) are not committed and dedicated.

Unregistered
11-14-2014, 06:12 PM
Do us a favor Palm Beach keep looking elsewhere.

Unregistered
11-14-2014, 07:54 PM
If it is such a great place to work, why have numerous deputies left the agency in the past years to go work for other agencies. Mr Palm Beach County, you might want to reconsider! They have a Sheriff that has no or at best minimal law enforcement experience. Do yourself a favor and check all the facts before you make a decision you might regret.

Unregistered
11-15-2014, 12:29 AM
Do us a favor Palm Beach keep looking elsewhere.

With pleasure, Sour puss.

Unregistered
11-17-2014, 12:39 PM
This sums it up! Pasco Sucks

Anyone with a bright future and physical abilities leaves and goes to Tampa or another agency to our south.

UNDERPAID
OVER WORKED
WORST LEADERSHIP
POLITICS AT IT'S WORST
NO SUPPORT FROM COUNTY
COMPUTER SOFTWARE THAT SUCKS
HUGE COUNTY LAND AREA AND YOU GET PUT WHERE EVER

Unregistered
11-19-2014, 02:52 AM
If you have experience and want to work for a good agency with good benefits apply to Tampa P.D. alot of deputies from Pasco have made the transition. Best of luck to you.

Unregistered
01-03-2015, 02:35 AM
If the negative replies to this thread are from Pasco employees then there lies the problem with Pasco Cnty SO...

Unregistered
01-05-2015, 01:46 AM
PBC...How did the PT test go? I'm looking at PSO myself.

Unregistered
01-05-2015, 07:50 PM
If you have experience and want to work for a good agency with good benefits apply to Tampa P.D. alot of deputies from Pasco have made the transition. Best of luck to you.

Please check your spelling before replying to post. ------> a lot not alot

Unregistered
01-08-2015, 08:47 PM
You should apply with Pasco SO because they now have super training captain Hartnett. He left TPD and soon Pasco SO will be as super as TPD.

Unregistered
01-08-2015, 08:51 PM
Ok Mr Super Spell Checker. I might have a little trouble with my spelling but my math is really good. Last time I checked, the bus drivers in Pasco County make more money than you do.

Unregistered
01-13-2015, 02:14 AM
Save yourself time, and avoid. As for the boat sinking fast. When the Titanic went sank it was classy and had a band, this place doesn't even rate a band

Unregistered
01-13-2015, 11:32 AM
We don't have a band but do you do get free tickets to the daily Circus which is full of clowns.

Pasco sucks so much that DYSON has contacted Nocco about putting their logo on our cars!