PDA

View Full Version : Tickets and FDLE

Unregistered
09-08-2014, 09:40 PM
I really need to understand something here. Is a against the law in Florida to set goals and quotas? I know that some of you "real tough ass cops" are going to come to the defense of the Sheriff and his staff so I will sort through that and wait for a proper answer. http://www.leoaffairs.com/news/waldo-police-officers-complain-quotas/

Unregistered
09-09-2014, 07:44 AM
Goal and objectives can be set by supervisors in any agency. Quotas cannot.

Unregistered
09-09-2014, 08:06 AM
State Law Prohibits STATE AGENCIES from having Quotas. I dare you to find a Statute that prohibits local police departments or Sheriff's Offices from having Quotas.

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?mode=View%20Statutes&SubMenu=1&App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=quota&URL=0300-0399/0316/Sections/0316.640.html

FSS 316.640 Enforcement.—The enforcement of the traffic laws of this state is vested as follows:
(1) STATE.—

2. An agency of the state as described in subparagraph 1. is prohibited from establishing a traffic citation quota. A violation of this subparagraph is not subject to the penalties provided in chapter 318.
3. Any disciplinary action taken or performance evaluation conducted by an agency of the state as described in subparagraph 1. of a law enforcement officer’s traffic enforcement activity must be in accordance with written work-performance standards. Such standards must be approved by the agency and any collective bargaining unit representing such law enforcement officer. A violation of this subparagraph is not subject to the penalties provided in chapter 318.

Unregistered
09-09-2014, 02:31 PM
State Law Prohibits STATE AGENCIES from having Quotas. I dare you to find a Statute that prohibits local police departments or Sheriff's Offices from having Quotas.

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?mode=View%20Statutes&SubMenu=1&App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=quota&URL=0300-0399/0316/Sections/0316.640.html

FSS 316.640 Enforcement.—The enforcement of the traffic laws of this state is vested as follows:
(1) STATE.—

2. An agency of the state as described in subparagraph 1. is prohibited from establishing a traffic citation quota. A violation of this subparagraph is not subject to the penalties provided in chapter 318.
3. Any disciplinary action taken or performance evaluation conducted by an agency of the state as described in subparagraph 1. of a law enforcement officer’s traffic enforcement activity must be in accordance with written work-performance standards. Such standards must be approved by the agency and any collective bargaining unit representing such law enforcement officer. A violation of this subparagraph is not subject to the penalties provided in chapter 318.
Correct. Quotas are illegal for certain state agencies, but not for sheriff's offices in Florida. Ticket quotas for the Sarasota Sheriff's Office may be immoral, but they are not illegal. However, the public is completely unaware of these nuances in Florida law.

Unregistered
09-13-2014, 02:23 AM
Washable do your job and shut up. Freaking cry babie. I guess doing law enforcement is out of the question. Let's summarize. If a car salesman does not sell cars. Is he still doing his job. Same principle dummy

Unregistered
09-13-2014, 11:14 PM
Washable do your job and shut up. Freaking cry babie. I guess doing law enforcement is out of the question. Let's summarize. If a car salesman does not sell cars. Is he still doing his job. Same principle dummy

Why do you think that quotas are illegal in some areas? Do you think that stopping a free willed United States Citizen and giving them a mediocre citation for the sake of putting a number up is OK? So you correlate protecting serving and taking an oath to protect the constitution, to selling used cars? Wow! You are probably the same guy listening to Rush and constantly watching FOX News and asking yourself why people hate cops.

Unregistered
09-15-2014, 06:16 PM

Law enforcement cannot be compared to being a salesman. If a salesman doesn’t make enough sales, then he goes out of business. But if a sheriff orders deputies to write X number of tickets (a quota), then it causes BS tickets to be written to meet the minimum standard – or else the deputy gets in trouble. Quotas cause deputies to write weak/crappy/BS tickets (quantity) to keep from getting in trouble, instead of writing a few quality tickets. A quota removes officer discretion and turns us into mindless ticket writing assembly line where quantity is more important than quality (common sense). Quotas push for quantity over quality under the belief that deputies are inherently lazy.

In the old days (before your time), deputies could arrest for anything and everything and they were paid based on the number of arrests that they made, but that encouraged deputies to make too many BS arrests because it increased their pay. That caused too many BS arrests to be made, so the Florida legislators created the “misdemeanor exception rule” which ties our hands and now, subsequently, a LEO can only make arrests under certain circumstances.

The Florida legislators have already made it illegal for state officers to have ticket quotas. It’s now time to get the state legislators to stop county sheriffs’ from having ticket quotas.

Unregistered
09-15-2014, 11:48 PM
I have yet to see someone getting hounded for not writing enough tickets. It is usually the other way around. Certain patrol deputies writing numerous tickets and they begin to be bs tickets. Leaving their zone partners hanging and arresting over and over for same traffic crimes.

Your idea of quota leads me to believe you are just mad because your supervisor wants activity out of you. It is called initiated police work. This isn't a one red light town. It is metropolitan highly populated. I find it hard to believe that you can come on here and whine over your lack of enforcement abilities. Perhaps you are in the wrong line of work.

Unregistered
09-16-2014, 12:14 AM
I find it hard to believe that you can come on here and whine over your lack of enforcement abilities.
Ahhhhh another famous nutty 2nd floor quote.

Perhaps you are in the wrong line of work.
Pot calling kettle.

Unregistered
09-16-2014, 04:26 AM
I have yet to see someone getting hounded for not writing enough tickets. It is usually the other way around. Certain patrol deputies writing numerous tickets and they begin to be bs tickets. Leaving their zone partners hanging and arresting over and over for same traffic crimes.

Your idea of quota leads me to believe you are just mad because your supervisor wants activity out of you. It is called initiated police work. This isn't a one red light town. It is metropolitan highly populated. I find it hard to believe that you can come on here and whine over your lack of enforcement abilities. Perhaps you are in the wrong line of work.

Well said!

Jim Crowe
09-16-2014, 01:03 PM
Quotas cause deputies to write weak/crappy/BS tickets (quantity), instead of writing a few quality tickets. A quota removes officer discretion and turns us into a mindless ticket writing assembly line.

Quotas are established under the false belief that deputies are inherently lazy.
Well said!

Unregistered
09-16-2014, 03:45 PM
Ray Pilon is a former SSO Deputy and could speak to the delegation about amending FSS 316.640 to make it illegal for all Sheriff's to set quotas or goals (or whatever you want to call them) in the form of tickets to their deputies. The SHT or the observer should pick up on this. It would seem like a simple fix. Amend the law to protect the citizens. If quotas or goals are not really happening then all Sheriffs should stand behind the proposed change no harm no foul. Seems like the right thing to do as a safeguard.

If they resist the change then there might be a problem.

There have been deputies who have received counseling for not writing enough tickets. This is a fact.

Unregistered
09-16-2014, 11:29 PM
Michael,

Check your peas. I think you have a problem dear.

Mama