PDA

View Full Version : fLiP fLoPs

05-08-2014, 10:28 PM
Who on the 2nd floor wrote the off-duty flip flop (http://poppygall.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/flips2.jpg) policy? Who is the legal mastermind?

05-09-2014, 01:30 AM
Does vpd, spd, nppd, DOC or ANY other agency in Florida prohibit off-duty employees in plain clothes from wearing flip flops while going to or from work?

05-09-2014, 02:47 AM
A new survey of the ever-dwindling number of employed Americans found that the number one thing people shouldn't wear to work in the summer is flip-flops. Duh! That's because flip-flops are disgusting and inappropriate.

My opposition to the scourge of flip-flops is a matter of public record, but I'm pleased to hear that most people agree with me,

For Police Officers, it could be a fatal mistake. God forbid they run into a life or death situation while wearing flip-flops. From hot asphalt to running after suspects or to a position of cover during a shootout, flip-flops would be a big distraction.

Then there is driving: Flip-flops have been blamed for some truly tragic traffic accidents—including one in New York in which a woman lost control and crashed into a church foyer, killing three people. Flip-flops can slip off and either get stuck under the brake and gas pedals or depress both pedals at the same time, says former police officer and certified traffic safety and crash expert John E. Langan. “Driving is the most dangerous activity the average person will do in his lifetime. Why would anyone want to make it even more dangerous by wearing the wrong shoes?”

A policy to prevent wearing of flip-flops would be a great idea for any agency.

05-09-2014, 03:29 PM
Some jailers and bailiffs do not like to wear a uniform to and from work because they do not want to be identified as employees of the Sarasota Sheriff's Office, so they wear civilian clothes during this 15-30 minutes of travel time in privately owned vehicles or while on-foot. [/*:m:2ausbeyw]
However, off-duty employees are now being told how to dress while traveling, which means that we are now on-duty and in the performance of our employment duties (with sanctions for those who disobey), so we are now legally entitled to be compensated for the travel time.[/*:m:2ausbeyw]

05-11-2014, 01:59 AM
Some jailers and bailiffs do not like to wear a uniform to and from work because they do not want to be identified as employees of the Sarasota Sheriff's Office, so they wear civilian clothes during this 15-30 minutes of travel time in privately owned vehicles or while on-foot. [/*:m:3rfovlt0]
However, off-duty employees are now being told how to dress while traveling, which means that we are now on-duty and in the performance of our employment duties (with sanctions for those who disobey), so we are now legally entitled to be compensated for the travel time.[/*:m:3rfovlt0]

Yeah, right on Sully! :roll:

05-11-2014, 03:01 PM
Some jailers and bailiffs do not like to wear a uniform to and from work because they do not want to be identified as employees of the Sarasota Sheriff's Office, so they wear civilian clothes during this 15-30 minutes of travel time in privately owned vehicles or while on-foot. [/*:m:1psoy5k7]
However, off-duty employees are now being told how to dress while traveling, which means that we are now on-duty and in the performance of our employment duties (with sanctions for those who disobey), so we are now legally entitled to be compensated for the travel time.[/*:m:1psoy5k7]

Case law already exist on policies that are similar to this (requiring employers to pay employees when employees are traveling under employer mandate), according to the U.S. Department of Labor. This elephant slipped past Kurt Hoffman undetected. Its not as simple as carrying a pager or a phone.

1. You will come to work now.
2. And you will travel to work in the prescribed way....

05-11-2014, 07:06 PM
Here's the question What supervisor would look and enforce this? it has no bearing on cops just jailers and bailiffs. Something triggered this. ASK yourself what person screwed the pooch and got this policy?

05-12-2014, 01:54 PM
Here's the question What supervisor would look and enforce this?
Are you suggesting that supervisors should disobey the policy and "look the other way"? Exactly what are you saying? :snicker:

it has no bearing on cops, just jailers and bailiffs.
A lot of people from patrol are working as bailiffs because of the good hours with weekends off. Are they no longer cops? :roll:

It's still a legal issue, even more for corrections than for bailiffs. If Knight is going to tell us how to dress while traveling off-duty in our privately own vehicles, then we must be legally compensated for it. Call up Investigator Al Hernandez at the federal Department of Labor office in Tampa and ask for yourself. He is in the wage and hour division and you can call the toll free number at 866-4-USWAGE (866-487-9243).

Something triggered this. ASK yourself what person screwed the pooch and got this policy?
The person did his job, but Knight was embarrassed. So what?

It's a gun issue and the 2nd floor is trying to write a blanket policy, even for those who do not carry guns, which shows a total lack of common sense, but it's nothing new. We're used to it.

And for those who do carry guns: provide a locker to store the gun in at the courthouse or pony up and pay up. You can keep your crummy gun and I'll store it at the courthouse. It's too freaking big of a cannon to carry off-duty anyways. I'll carry what I want, when I want and the way I want CCW.

Pony up or pay up jacktard.

05-13-2014, 02:29 PM
Nothing wrong with correction deputies coming to work in plain clothes, then changing before work. That should be the prefered way anyways. Corrections don't carry firearms in uniform, so the less we are In public in uniform, the better.