PDA

View Full Version : FHPA Requirements?

12-16-2013, 02:45 PM
I'm considering joining the FHPA. I understand that there are certain criteria that must be met such as the PAT, BI, Poly etc.

My question is, does one still have to go down to Miami to do the pysch evaluation or is it handled at the local Troop HQ?

Thank you in advance, and be safe! 8)

12-29-2013, 06:28 PM
Good day Troopers. I'm the OP to this thread, and see that there have been over 40 views and no replies. Troopers, any help or direction to my question would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all again, and be safe!

12-29-2013, 07:52 PM
Good day Troopers. I'm the OP to this thread, and see that there have been over 40 views and no replies. Troopers, any help or direction to my question would be greatly appreciated.

Applicants are not required to travel to Miami anymore. The selection process for Auxiliary Troopers is identical to the hiring process for full-time Troopers.

12-31-2013, 02:18 PM

Applicants are not required to travel to Miami anymore. The selection process for Auxiliary Troopers is identical to the hiring process for full-time Troopers.

If it's identical, then FHPA applicants will have to go to Miami for the psych evaluation, as that is what current FHP applicants must do.

03-29-2014, 12:59 PM
Do you have a pulse? Are still breathing? FHPA is full of 70 and yes even 80 year olds. Don't tell me that these 70 and 80 year olds can pass the same requirements that troopers do.

Have you seen them, they are over weight, slow and most in poor health, no way they could pass the tests.

03-30-2014, 12:44 AM
Do you have a pulse? Are still breathing? FHPA is full of 70 and yes even 80 year olds. Don't tell me that these 70 and 80 year olds can pass the same requirements that troopers do.

Have you seen them, they are over weight, slow and most in poor health, no way they could pass the tests.

Have you seen them, they are over weight, slow and most in poor health, no way they could pass the tests
There are no physical tests for active members: full time, auxiliary, or reserve.

04-26-2014, 12:09 AM

Have you seen them, they are over weight, slow and most in poor health, no way they could pass the tests
There are no physical tests for active members: full time, auxiliary, or reserve.

Some truth to the above statement. "THERE ARE NO TESTS" for auxiliary members. Very true. Most are not certified and never attended an academy; thus never took a state test. As Paul Harvey would say, "...and that's the rest of the story"

NON-Certified, under trained, ego maniacs = FHPA

04-26-2014, 01:29 AM

Some truth to the above statement. "THERE ARE NO TESTS" for auxiliary members. Very true. Most are not certified and never attended an academy; thus never took a state test. As Paul Harvey would say, "...and that's the rest of the story"

Although you are certainly entitled to your opinion about Auxiliary Troopers, the "non-certified" statement is incorrect. Auxiliary officers from any agency are issued a certification by CJSTC which can be suspended or revoked just like a full-time certificate. Currently, CJSTC issues three classes of certificates: Law enforcement, correctional, and correctional probation. Within the law enforcement class there are three types: full-time, part-time, and auxiliary. Any person holding one of those certificates is under the purview of CJSTC. When FHP completes a sustained IA against an Auxiliary Trooper the file has to be sent to CJSTC to determine if any action will be taken against their certificate. You are correct in that most are not fully certified, although some are.

05-04-2014, 10:01 PM
FHPA = FUPA
A bunch of loser that are more of a libility then worth what little they do.

05-07-2014, 11:46 PM

Although you are certainly entitled to your opinion about Auxiliary Troopers, the "non-certified" statement is incorrect. Auxiliary officers from any agency are issued a certification by CJSTC which can be suspended or revoked just like a full-time certificate. Currently, CJSTC issues three classes of certificates: Law enforcement, correctional, and correctional probation. Within the law enforcement class there are three types: full-time, part-time, and auxiliary. Any person holding one of those certificates is under the purview of CJSTC. When FHP completes a sustained IA against an Auxiliary Trooper the file has to be sent to CJSTC to determine if any action will be taken against their certificate. You are correct in that most are not fully certified, although some are.

An AUXILIARY Certificate does NOT equal being certified. Please, stop saying this.
If you can NOT act without an actual CERTIFIED leo, then you are NOT really certified in anything.
Auxiliary trained people NEVER EVER took a state exam. Thus they are NOT certified.
Many old timers had little or no training. Same people claim that they are Aux. Certified took a 140 hour class!

When a full time leo goes to an academy, upon graduation they are also NOT certified. They must complete two very important things before they are certified.
1) Take and pass the state exam.
2) Have an agency in Florida activate the certification.

No matter how you say it, word it, or spin it, an auxiliary certificate CAN'T create a certified member. If you have been told otherwise, then someone lied to you.

The truth may hurt, but it is the truth.

05-08-2014, 06:54 PM
Not so sure why so many are so concerned about certification? The reality is Auxiliary Troopers are here to 'support' the FHP mission. Would anyone argue it is better to have an Auxiliary Trooper sit with a young mother with infant children on the interstate till help arrives, rather than a full time trooper? When a full time trooper gets out of his/her car on a traffic stop (10-50) and the driver looks in the mirror to see "2 uniforms officers", don't you think he/she may think twice before doing something stupid? There have been many times when I have directed traffic while my 'partner' investigated the crash. Recently one of our A/men on LSP stopped a driver clearly out of control of her car and headed toward two troopers on traffic stops. She was arrested and charged with DUI. Had he not been there we may be attending another funeral like the one for Trooper Chelsea Richard today. People should stop comparing FHP with FHPA and focus on the positive impact the FHPA has on the FHP and the community. Current A/men have the same complete 'testing' phase as a full time applicant and 320 hours of ABRC. Including 80 hours of Firearms, 80 hrs of DT and much more. They don't get the training that pertains to what they don't do. i.e. Traffic investigation, that comes with Level 4 -- an additional 40 hours classroom and 160 hours FTO.

05-10-2014, 05:13 PM
If a former full time, experienced sworn LEO becomes a FHPA member, is there ever a point where that Aux member has full LEO powers while working? As a 20 yr Deputy Sheriff, now civilian LE employee, would that have any bearing on what they can or cant do?

05-11-2014, 12:13 AM
If a former full time, experienced sworn LEO becomes a FHPA member, is there ever a point where that Aux member has full LEO powers while working? As a 20 yr Deputy Sheriff, now civilian LE employee, would that have any bearing on what they can or cant do?

CAREFUL - there are people that will tell you maybe someday. Fact is NO, NEVER. It won't happen.

05-11-2014, 02:02 AM

No. The FHPA "Level 5" was officially abolished last year. If you are a member of the Auxiliary you will not have full powers at any time. This also applies to retired Florida LEOs. For example, there is an auxiliary member who came to the FHPA after retiring as Chief of Police for a city. Even though he was a career LEO in Florida, he does not have full powers when acting in the capacity of an Auxiliary Trooper.

05-12-2014, 12:31 AM

No. The FHPA "Level 5" was officially abolished last year. If you are a member of the Auxiliary you will not have full powers at any time. This also applies to retired Florida LEOs. For example, there is an auxiliary member who came to the FHPA after retiring as Chief of Police for a city. Even though he was a career LEO in Florida, he does not have full powers when acting in the capacity of an Auxiliary Trooper.

So what was the reason for the level 5 going away? I mean the real reason.