PDA

View Full Version : City of Miami will always be a dumping ground

10-23-2013, 09:38 AM
Miami-Dade commissioners upset over jail inmates released in her district.

The thing about criminals is, no politician wants them in their district.

So when the Miami-Dade County corrections department changed the way it releases people booked at one of its jails, elected officials noticed.

Last week, the department began allowing released inmates who had rides of their own to leave jail directly from the Turner Guilford Knight Correctional Center in West Miami-Dade. The remaining inmates are bused to the civic center in Miami, which houses the main jail and criminal courthouse and offers round-the-clock access to public transportation.

That irked Commissioner Audrey Edmonson, who represents the civic center district and only just found out that’s where inmates get released — even though that’s been county practice since 1961.

“We already have a high crime rate,” she told Corrections Director Tim Ryan. “What you’re doing is increasing it.”

Ryan noted the new policy letting inmates get picked up at TGK has actually reduced the number of people bused to Edmonson’s district in the past week to about 125 a day from about 200 a day over the past two and a half years.

That’s how long it had been since any inmates had been booked at TGK while the jail’s intake facility was renovated to comply with a federal mandate from the U.S. Department of Justice. During the renovation, all inmates had been booked and released at the main jail in the civic center.

“We give them a bus pass,” Ryan said. “The buses do not run 24/7 in front of TGK. They stop a little bit before 10 p.m.”

Then maybe the jail shouldn’t release anyone after 10 p.m., Edmonson suggested.

Ryan said he would like to halt releases between 10 p.m. and 6 a.m. But judges and the public defender have told him that would run afoul of a person’s constitutional protections.

“I have an obligation to get them out in four hours if they’re to be released,” he said.

Commissioners who represent the neighborhoods around TGK don’t want released inmates there, either.

“We have been facing constant break-ins into Miami Springs, Virginia Gardens,” Chairwoman Rebeca Sosa said. “They let them go in the middle of the night. They walk.”

“Somebody is going to get killed” in the neighborhoods around TGK, added an angry Commissioner Jose “Pepe” Diaz, who represents the district around the jail. He accused Edmonson of “ambushing” him by bringing up the jail discussion without previously placing it on the meeting agenda.

That led Edmonson to accuse Diaz of not being a gentleman.

Without a resolution to their concerns — and an acknowledgment that people who have been booked and released must be let out somewhere — commissioners agreed to revisit the issue soon.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/10/22/3 ... rylink=cpy (http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/10/22/3704879/miami-dade-commissioners-upset.html#storylink=cpy)

10-23-2013, 09:50 AM
Do Miami cops get extra money for all of these criminals around dade county being released in the city? You guys must be really over worked dealing with all of these drunks, murders, drug addicts, robbers etc etc being bus and released in your city.

Your city is garbage and you get paid the lowest. **** you losers

10-23-2013, 11:29 AM
Of course it is the dumping ground. MPD is where all of the police applicant rejects from MDPD and all other agencies end up because they failed to qualify elsewhere. MPD's hiring standards are less that MDPD and other agencies which leads to corruption and incompetence down the road.

10-23-2013, 01:37 PM
Of course it is the dumping ground. MPD is where all of the police applicant rejects from MDPD and all other agencies end up because they failed to qualify elsewhere. MPD's hiring standards are less that MDPD and other agencies which leads to corruption and incompetence down the road.

Hey Brown Clown, look into your own department and be amazed at how under the G-menez - Rev. Patterson regime it mirrors MPD. You are dreaming of the past, MDPD is NOT the same department it was when Fred Taylor led it. So you who live in a glass house should cast no stones, lest they ricochet on you.

10-23-2013, 05:41 PM
Shut the **** up! His right

10-23-2013, 08:28 PM
NO! You Shut the **** up! His wrong

10-23-2013, 11:43 PM
No his right! Just look at your pay. This place is garabage

10-24-2013, 01:44 AM
No his right! Just look at your pay. This place is garabage

GARABAGE? C'mon man! Garbage is what many of you post here. I know that when my idol, Luis Cabrera, MBA is appointed Miami’s police chief, things will change; believe it!

10-24-2013, 03:19 AM

Followed by Hollywood.

10-24-2013, 04:14 AM
Miami = opa locka, and Hialeah.

10-25-2013, 03:34 PM
If it's so bad here LEAVE? Why would you work some place that treat you like shit, pay's the lowest? The grass is NOT always greener on the other side. Ya MPD has changed for the worst over the years. I worked In Broward when Navarro came sheriff. Left when he fired 29 top deputies and gave favors to ALL that helped get him in officer. When I started with Miami it was a good place with good people. Yes we had are assholes but what place doesn't. Now we have everyone coming on here calling each other GED cops and WE couldn't get hired anywhere else. Maybe that's true. Maybe not. I really don't care what other's opinion of me are. I do the job I was hired to do. Like most of you do.

You want a change for the better? get rid of your worthless FOP. Funny on here we talk about certain staff members like their shit but when I see some of you in person around them. If they suddenly stopped we would have to pull your head out of their ass. All this *****ing we do about others or this place being the dumping ground IS over the pay. If we got what we should have over the years or at least the last few we wouldn't be saying shit. Yes lets get on a web page and vent but do nothing to correct this place.