PDA

View Full Version : Need a math tutor?

09-05-2013, 04:29 PM
Who is the moron that forgot to add in to the budget nearly $600,000? Good grief! And they bust my chops about a .5 on my time sheet!!!!!!

http://www.tampabay.com/news/localgovernment/commissioners-not-open-to-sheriffs-budget-increase-request/2139952

09-06-2013, 01:22 AM
FYI 600,000 is only about 2 days of budget.

09-06-2013, 12:04 PM

FYI- Do your homework before you submit a budget so you don't look like a complete moron.

09-06-2013, 02:33 PM
Maybe they are a little short after the recent payout!

We thought it was a joke before, YIKES

09-06-2013, 02:57 PM
How am I wrong???? If you're going to call someone out atleast bring something to the table other than you are wrong...or you look like a complete moron :devil:

09-06-2013, 10:26 PM

If it is only two days worth of budget, he surely could find that money in other parts of his total budget to fund these items. Maybe give up on some of the OT he pays out? No probably not. We are so short staffed in areas OT is mandatory.

How about we recall the SWAT vests we bought for NPRPD members two years ago and use them for SO SWAT team members? Or quit spending so much money on tanks, laptop computers for people who don't use them (Sheriff?), or how about blackberry phones for detectives?

09-07-2013, 01:41 AM

If it is only two days worth of budget, he surely could find that money in other parts of his total budget to fund these items. Maybe give up on some of the OT he pays out? No probably not. We are so short staffed in areas OT is mandatory.

How about we recall the SWAT vests we bought for NPRPD members two years ago and use them for SO SWAT team members? Or quit spending so much money on tanks, laptop computers for people who don't use them (Sheriff?), or how about blackberry phones for detectives?

The budget is complicated and every aspect of the agency has its own allocations. I know it sounds stupid but that is the money the commissioners gave us to use for those specific areas and if they dont get used (we cannot transfer it) then it goes back to the county. But think about it, most of the things you mentioned cost very little in the overall scheme of things. 250,000 a day to run this place. Getting rid of Blackberries wont help anything.

09-07-2013, 02:15 AM
By your own admission, it costs $250,000 a day to run this place. The vast majority of that money is allocated for salary and inmate related expenditures. These two areas are not what the additional request for money was for. So your suggestion that these expenditures would amount to "merely" two days worth of "running this place" really doesn't add up (couldn't pass up the pun). Would you give up two days of YOUR salary to cover these additional costs??

If there was truly $600,000 worth of capital property needing to be replaced, then the staff should have known it and added it in when they made their proposal. It makes them look like buffoons when they don't realize they need more than half a million dollars worth of money to keep the place rolling.

09-07-2013, 07:41 AM
By your own admission, it costs $250,000 a day to run this place. The vast majority of that money is allocated for salary and inmate related expenditures. These two areas are not what the additional request for money was for. So your suggestion that these expenditures would amount to "merely" two days worth of "running this place" really doesn't add up (couldn't pass up the pun). Would you give up two days of YOUR salary to cover these additional costs??

If there was truly $600,000 worth of capital property needing to be replaced, then the staff should have known it and added it in when they made their proposal. It makes them look like buffoons when they don't realize they need more than half a million dollars worth of money to keep the place rolling.
Coming from someone that knows nothing about accounting maybe it does seem that way.My spouse works as an accountant for one of the largest companies in the world. This crap happens alot (even for the big guys). My spouse comes home often telling me how they caught a minor mistake that added up to tens of millions of dollars. That is with hundreds of accountants working. So to tell me that a 600k mistake was made on the budget here doesnt surprise me at all. You never made a small error that got you in a bind? Im sure this person didnt go unnoticed. We all screw up, deputies get written up all the time. Let it go.

09-08-2013, 11:43 AM
You have to be kidding with this whole string. Read the papers and listen. The Sheriffs submitted a budget. The county reduced it and took stuff out. The Sheriff then asked to put back in a part of what had been taken out by the county. No one "forgot" to put something in the budget. Just follow what is going on instead of rumors.

09-08-2013, 12:35 PM
You have to be kidding with this whole string. Read the papers and listen. The Sheriffs submitted a budget. The county reduced it and took stuff out. The Sheriff then asked to put back in a part of what had been taken out by the county. No one "forgot" to put something in the budget. Just follow what is going on instead of rumors.

Even if that is the case who cares! At least he tried. It's better than not trying at all, the worst that could happen is they say no. The last guy that ran this place didn't even have the balls to ask for a raise for his people.

09-08-2013, 01:01 PM

Even if that is the case who cares! At least he tried. It's better than not trying at all, the worst that could happen is they say no. The last guy that ran this place didn't even have the balls to ask for a raise for his people.

We are missing something here. What I said is that the Sheriff submitted a budget, the county took stuff out and the Sheriff tried to find a way to get some back that the county took out. We both agree that he is trying to get more for the office.