PDA

View Full Version : Load Bearing Vests - OPTIONAL

08-19-2013, 02:36 AM
To those of you who say that load bearing vests are paramilitary, do not forget that BSO is a paramilitary organization.

To those of you who think that load bearing vests are intimidating, do not forget that the only difference is the presence of pockets and moving gear from a gun-belt to your torso. How can a TASER/Baton/Magazines be intimidating once moved from a belt to a vest for the average citizen?

To those of you who think that load bearing vests will cost the taxpayers ANYTHING, do not forget that they are requested to be OPTIONAL and at the expense of the deputy who desires to wear one.

To those of you who think that load bearing vests increases police impersonation, please direct your attention to at least 75% of the municipalities who are currently using load bearing vests such as Ft. Lauderdale and Boca Raton. They have had no such incidents of increased police impersonation.

To those of you who think that load bearing vests are unprofessional looking, consider that load bearing vests are offered to color coordinate with uniforms and look clean/organized. The manner in which the deputy conducts his/her self is what portrays professionalism, not the method by which gear is carried.

To those of you who think that load bearing vests will somehow create a more casual environment or even more aggressive environment at BSO, I direct your attention to other departments who have implemented modern uniforms and have not changed ANYTHING with regard to the aforementioned.

To those of you who support law enforcement, and want them to be better protected, more comfortable, more mobile, more efficient, and less prone to injury - support us having the ability to purchase and wear a load bearing outer vest.

Name calling, belittling, and ranting only proves your lack of maturity. Opposing the above pros of an outer load bearing vest also shows that you are either an enemy of law enforcement, or even a sheep or wolf hiding amongst the sheepdogs.

May the brotherhood live on forever.

08-19-2013, 02:58 AM
Stfu Already. you wannabe swat. Go join swat if u want the damn vest or your probably too fat. I want my raise in October lets talk about that.

08-19-2013, 05:37 AM
Stfu Already. you wannabe swat. Go join swat if u want the damn vest or your probably too fat. I want my raise in October lets talk about that.

I was SWAT for 6 years. You apparently were never SWAT.

If you think SWAT gear looks ANYTHING like road patrol uniforms with load bearing vests, you are delusional.

Also, WTF does our 2% Raise have to do with a policy change that costs the dept absolutely NOTHING?

You're probably the D10 Bravo unit who sits under a tree and self initiates 10-6 on the CAD and keeps pressing "arrived" to reset the timer to dodge calls.

08-19-2013, 07:25 AM
To those of you who say that load bearing vests are paramilitary, do not forget that BSO is a paramilitary organization.

To those of you who think that load bearing vests are intimidating, do not forget that the only difference is the presence of pockets and moving gear from a gun-belt to your torso. How can a TASER/Baton/Magazines be intimidating once moved from a belt to a vest for the average citizen?

To those of you who think that load bearing vests will cost the taxpayers ANYTHING, do not forget that they are requested to be OPTIONAL and at the expense of the deputy who desires to wear one.

To those of you who think that load bearing vests increases police impersonation, please direct your attention to at least 75% of the municipalities who are currently using load bearing vests such as Ft. Lauderdale and Boca Raton. They have had no such incidents of increased police impersonation.

To those of you who think that load bearing vests are unprofessional looking, consider that load bearing vests are offered to color coordinate with uniforms and look clean/organized. The manner in which the deputy conducts his/her self is what portrays professionalism, not the method by which gear is carried.

To those of you who think that load bearing vests will somehow create a more casual environment or even more aggressive environment at BSO, I direct your attention to other departments who have implemented modern uniforms and have not changed ANYTHING with regard to the aforementioned.

To those of you who support law enforcement, and want them to be better protected, more comfortable, more mobile, more efficient, and less prone to injury - support us having the ability to purchase and wear a load bearing outer vest.

Name calling, belittling, and ranting only proves your lack of maturity. Opposing the above pros of an outer load bearing vest also shows that you are either an enemy of law enforcement, or even a sheep or wolf hiding amongst the sheepdogs. I was with you until you talked about the ranting and belittling. If you check the posts the most offensive rants and name calling come from those who want the load bearing vests. Personal Opinions on the subject of vest covers have nothing to do with supporting law enforcement in general. Your opinion is yours and like many others but just because someone disagrees with one opinion in the vast law enforcement ideology does not make them your enemy. It is the US vs THEM attitude which restricts the favorable outcome of this vest cover issue for you and the rest of us. Try being a little more positive without the snarky end comments.

May the brotherhood live on forever.

08-19-2013, 10:33 AM

I was SWAT for 6 years. You apparently were never SWAT.

If you think SWAT gear looks ANYTHING like road patrol uniforms with load bearing vests, you are delusional.

Also, WTF does our 2% Raise have to do with a policy change that costs the dept absolutely NOTHING?

You're probably the D10 Bravo unit who sits under a tree and self initiates 10-6 on the CAD and keeps pressing "arrived" to reset the timer to dodge calls.

go join the military and take your vest w/you

08-19-2013, 01:13 PM
Don't engage the cop hating trolls...hopefully the #1 guy gets the message and approves them soon....

08-19-2013, 07:13 PM
Don't engage the cop hating trolls...hopefully the #1 guy gets the message and approves them soon....

I think he will. If we put up enough protest about it, it might happen.

Stay vocal at your district level and stay vocal on the "Ask The Sheriff" section.

08-19-2013, 09:05 PM
Yeah no...I would not recommend using the Ask the Sheriff venue ..those get intercepted by his staff and they weed out most requests like this

08-19-2013, 10:18 PM
I HAVE THE SOLUTION ....... EVERYONE JUST GO OUT AND BUY THESE , AND WEAR THEM.... WE WILL MAKE OUR OWN POLICY.

http://pointblankenterprises.com/pointblankbodyarmor/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2013/03/maverick_front.png

http://pointblankenterprises.com/pointblankbodyarmor/?product=maverick

08-19-2013, 11:11 PM
SWEET! Can I fit a cup of coffee in one of those slots :)

08-19-2013, 11:55 PM
I HAVE THE SOLUTION ....... EVERYONE JUST GO OUT AND BUY THESE , AND WEAR THEM.... WE WILL MAKE OUR OWN POLICY.

http://pointblankenterprises.com/pointblankbodyarmor/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2013/03/maverick_front.png

There it is...very nice

08-20-2013, 12:23 AM

Those are the EXACT same ones that BSO just bought for every single unit except for road patrol. They are EXCELLENT high quality vests, but unfortunately do not have a zipper front, which isn't required, but would be pretty useful.

Now think about how skewed our current policy is. ALL specialized units, including: SET, Detectives, K9, Marine, Fugitive, SID, etc. all were issued these vests. However, Road Patrol is the ones that have to 10-65 calls all day and are the first responders to any type of dangerous situation including an active shooter.

So what sense does it make to issue this to specialized units, and not even allow road patrol to buy their own?

The answer is absolutely none.

The price of these vests directly through point blank is approximately $200. I'd gladly buy my own for the sake of comfort, and get some composite rifle plates for it (about another $600). That grand total of $800 would last a minimum of 5 years and greatly improve safety, comfort, and mobility.

08-20-2013, 01:47 AM
I like to use your mom and grandma as a load bearing vest. Give it a rest aleady dingle berry face.

Ron Paul for President

08-20-2013, 01:54 AM
http://pointblankenterprises.com/pointblankbodyarmor/?product=maverick[/quote]

The price of these vests directly through point blank is approximately $200. I'd gladly buy my own for the sake of comfort, and get some composite rifle plates for it (about another $600). That grand total of $800 would last a minimum of 5 years and greatly improve safety, comfort, and mobility.[/quote]

The Maverick Molly Carrier only, without any ballistic panels, is $167.40 on State Contract. A set of 5 molly pouches is another $148.20. Soft panels and trauma plate, another $500-$700, depending on which models you choose (more, if you want higher threat levels and/or lighter weight / more flexible panels).

08-20-2013, 04:27 AM

The price of these vests directly through point blank is approximately $200. I'd gladly buy my own for the sake of comfort, and get some composite rifle plates for it (about another $600). That grand total of $800 would last a minimum of 5 years and greatly improve safety, comfort, and mobility.[/quote]

The Maverick Molly Carrier only, without any ballistic panels, is $167.40 on State Contract. A set of 5 molly pouches is another $148.20. Soft panels and trauma plate, another $500-$700, depending on which models you choose (more, if you want higher threat levels and/or lighter weight / more flexible panels).[/quote]

So when I said approximately $200....and you say $167.40...what's the point?

The bottom line is that if it's OPTIONAL, and we pay for it out of our own pockets, what difference does it make what the cost is?

If deputies don't want it, or can't afford it, they won't wear it.

For those of us who do want it, we can purchase it at our own discretion.

08-20-2013, 09:13 AM
What type of vest is most effective against an inactive shooter??

08-20-2013, 10:42 AM
go do the research. loser!

08-20-2013, 10:31 PM
It may seem simple and logical to have load bearing vests but I will attempt to explain why it will not happen and the reason is way bigger than SI. First of all the current D.O.J. does not like police, they do not care if you get hurt and are much more worried about protecting a certain specific population at all cost ( in my opinion). They do not want "specialized units" they do not want "tactical units" as they are perceived (wrongly) to be problematic and hint of racial profiling. Now we all know this is NOT true but the truth does not matter. If you read the finding in the following article you will see that the Miami tactical teams that rooted out violent offenders and defended themselves against armed offenders were not only not appreciated but criticized. Many of those specialized tactical teams were disbanded in favor of unformed officer friendly and patrol officer units. Yes I know it is silly that it should not matter if a cop is wearing a patrol uniform or a tactical fatigues or plain clothes when approaching a guy armed with an ak-47 walking down the street in an area known for its armed robberies and homicides but I guess it does matter to the folks in Washington. Now the city of Miami has to have chaperone while the thugs and criminals continue to shoot up dade county. Unfortunately the people this hurts the most are the victims being forced to live in these neighborhoods. So the shooting and homicides will continue and you will not be allowed to wear the tactical vest so as not to rock the boat at the D.O.J. Just my opinion but read this article,... it will make you sick. http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/08/20/3 ... ds-we.html (http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/08/20/3575220/miami-police-chief-to-feds-we.html)

08-21-2013, 01:16 AM
It may seem simple and logical to have load bearing vests but I will attempt to explain why it will not happen and the reason is way bigger than SI. First of all the current D.O.J. does not like police, they do not care if you get hurt and are much more worried about protecting a certain specific population at all cost ( in my opinion). They do not want "specialized units" they do not want "tactical units" as they are perceived (wrongly) to be problematic and hint of racial profiling. Now we all know this is NOT true but the truth does not matter. If you read the finding in the following article you will see that the Miami tactical teams that rooted out violent offenders and defended themselves against armed offenders were not only not appreciated but criticized. Many of those specialized tactical teams were disbanded in favor of unformed officer friendly and patrol officer units. Yes I know it is silly that it should not matter if a cop is wearing a patrol uniform or a tactical fatigues or plain clothes when approaching a guy armed with an ak-47 walking down the street in an area known for its armed robberies and homicides but I guess it does matter to the folks in Washington. Now the city of Miami has to have chaperone while the thugs and criminals continue to shoot up dade county. Unfortunately the people this hurts the most are the victims being forced to live in these neighborhoods. So the shooting and homicides will continue and you will not be allowed to wear the tactical vest so as not to rock the boat at the D.O.J. Just my opinion but read this article,... it will make you sick. http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/08/20/3 ... ds-we.html (http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/08/20/3575220/miami-police-chief-to-feds-we.html)

Although this is true for city departments, county depts, such as BSO, have the supreme law enforcement official as the Sheriff. The Sheriff supersedes any Federal Entity within his/her county jurisdiction.

That being said, no Federal mandate can change how the Sheriff enforces the law so much as that he/she does not violate the constitution.

However, even moreso, f you study the overall city depts that have gone to outer load bearing vests:

Boca, Boynton, Delray, Ft. Lauderdale, Wilton Manors, or even a giant dept such as Chicago, have not had any issues with the DOJ.

As much as you are right about the Federal Government attempting to protect the gangbangers, thugs, and criminals, I still believe that our dept has the ability to make a uniform policy change without incident.

At this point, it's entirely up to Sheriff Israel, who I hope is listening to the troops.

08-21-2013, 02:35 AM

Although this is true for city departments, county depts, such as BSO, have the supreme law enforcement official as the Sheriff. The Sheriff supersedes any Federal Entity within his/her county jurisdiction.

That being said, no Federal mandate can change how the Sheriff enforces the law so much as that he/she does not violate the constitution.

However, even moreso, f you study the overall city depts that have gone to outer load bearing vests:

Boca, Boynton, Delray, Ft. Lauderdale, Wilton Manors, or even a giant dept such as Chicago, have not had any issues with the DOJ.

As much as you are right about the Federal Government attempting to protect the gangbangers, thugs, and criminals, I still believe that our dept has the ability to make a uniform policy change without incident.

At this point, it's entirely up to Sheriff Israel, who I hope is listening to the troops.
I think SI would probably like to approve such vest covers but being that the sheriff is a political position and the commission is predominately democrat will denounce the implementation of such vest covers. Should politics play a role?, no of course not but it is the reality. The commissioners are all jockeying for the "look at me, I'm on board" with the democratic heavy hitters. Without any fact or info, they will blindly go along with what this D.O.J mandates and SI will have to pick and choose his battles and I don't think he will pick this battle. I think if you could get a bug in a like-minded commissioners ear I think you would have a chance to get the load bearing vests. And yes Ft. Lauderdale and the like don't have the D.O.J investigating them, true enough. But those cities don't have the area and amount of violent crime that BSO encompasses and that Miami encompasses . The area of Miami is more comparable to bso than Ft Lauderdale is to BSO and thus would draw more attention because BSO is addressing more violent crime than Ft Lauderdale. The violent crime is more comparable to BSO than Ft Lauderdale. I think BSO admin. and the commissioners ( most not all) are Democratic butt kissers and will not go out on a limb for this issue. In the end I think they want you to fight crime while looking like Mr Rogers and I don't think that will change. Until several of the commissioners get home invaded or get caught in the middle of an armed robbery they will not understand the true depth of violence Broward Co has become and therefore will not support true and safe crime fighting efforts. FYI just my opinion and I am NOT a republican.

08-21-2013, 07:21 AM

I think SI would probably like to approve such vest covers but being that the sheriff is a political position and the commission is predominately democrat will denounce the implementation of such vest covers. Should politics play a role?, no of course not but it is the reality. The commissioners are all jockeying for the "look at me, I'm on board" with the democratic heavy hitters. Without any fact or info, they will blindly go along with what this D.O.J mandates and SI will have to pick and choose his battles and I don't think he will pick this battle. I think if you could get a bug in a like-minded commissioners ear I think you would have a chance to get the load bearing vests. And yes Ft. Lauderdale and the like don't have the D.O.J investigating them, true enough. But those cities don't have the area and amount of violent crime that BSO encompasses and that Miami encompasses . The area of Miami is more comparable to bso than Ft Lauderdale is to BSO and thus would draw more attention because BSO is addressing more violent crime than Ft Lauderdale. The violent crime is more comparable to BSO than Ft Lauderdale. I think BSO admin. and the commissioners ( most not all) are Democratic butt kissers and will not go out on a limb for this issue. In the end I think they want you to fight crime while looking like Mr Rogers and I don't think that will change. Until several of the commissioners get home invaded or get caught in the middle of an armed robbery they will not understand the true depth of violence Broward Co has become and therefore will not support true and safe crime fighting efforts. FYI just my opinion and I am NOT a republican.

I think you have some very valid points here.

Although, I'm not sure if the largely Democrat county commission, DOJ, and upper echelon at BSO would really care/notice outer load bearing vests that much.

I could be wrong, but I'm not sure if they're opposed to it. It would be interesting to hear that come up at a county commission meeting.

08-21-2013, 11:17 PM
these vests you speak of, are they for FAT cops?

08-22-2013, 07:49 PM
Interestingly enough, with the removal of Daily Logs in districts with OSSI (except Tamarac apparently), morale was greatly improved.

If the Sheriff takes pen to paper and simply allows deputies to purchase an authorized outer load bearing vest, such as the matching one made by Point Blank, you would see morale further improve.

Coupled with the 2% COLA raise in October, I think you'd see morale hit an all time high to be honest. And all it would take....is a signature.

08-22-2013, 10:31 PM
If you are still doing Daily's and using OSSI, let a certain LT. Colonel know that and I am sure that will stop.

08-22-2013, 11:42 PM
Interestingly enough, with the removal of Daily Logs in districts with OSSI (except Tamarac apparently), morale was greatly improved.

If the Sheriff takes pen to paper and simply allows deputies to purchase an authorized outer load bearing vest, such as the matching one made by Point Blank, you would see morale further improve.

Coupled with the 2% COLA raise in October, I think you'd see morale hit an all time high to be honest. And all it would take....is a signature.

What do these look like, any pictures?

08-23-2013, 03:45 AM

So what is he waiting for..this place needs the morale boost

08-23-2013, 07:50 PM

Add your own pouches w/ the MOLLE webbing.

08-23-2013, 10:08 PM
Sadly...Another week..and no action on this by the Sheriff

08-24-2013, 12:54 AM

BSO bad asses. Right from the tough streets of Lauderdale by the Sea, Weston, Cooper City and the like. I know, I know, you have Pompano, where the shitty deputies go on their final chance. So much violent crime, how do you all find the time to LIVE on this blog? Wear the vest you're given and shut it.

08-24-2013, 01:16 AM
Yeah..cause Central..Oakland..West Park..Dania..Deerfield. .North Lauderdale. ..and Lauderdale Lakes are so soft....hush up boy

08-24-2013, 02:09 AM
Yeah..cause Central..Oakland..West Park..Dania..Deerfield. .North Lauderdale. ..and Lauderdale Lakes are so soft....hush up boy

Appears to me you are scared of black people.

08-24-2013, 04:11 AM

BSO bad asses. Right from the tough streets of Lauderdale by the Sea, Weston, Cooper City and the like. I know, I know, you have Pompano, where the shitty deputies go on their final chance. So much violent crime, how do you all find the time to LIVE on this blog? Wear the vest you're given and shut it.

We are only "given" a concealed vest. We are asking for the ability to purchase and wear our own outer vests. There is absolutely NO reason not to allow deputies to PAY FOR THEIR OWN outer vests if they want them.

08-24-2013, 04:30 AM

It amazes me when you put facts out that confirm a certain area is dangerous and prone to violent crime the only response can be a personal insult. That's how you know that what you are saying is true, the opposing party calls you names or makes personal derogatory statements. If that 89 year old WWII vet in Washington had been a little more scared he might not have gone out from his home and ultimitly been beaten to death with flashlights by two young boys, younger than Treyvon Marton. And really do I need to mention the 15 year old that shot the Australian student in the back... but lets get back to broward hmmm what was the race of the guy who shot at the tow truck driver who was doing her job? By the way, isn't Obama pushing for Ray Kelly for director of homeland security? If so you will find this interesting
"In New York from January to June 2008, 83 percent of all gun assailants were black, according to witnesses and victims, though blacks were only 24 percent of the population. Blacks and Hispanics together accounted for 98 percent of all gun assailants. Forty-nine of every 50 muggings and murders in the Big Apple were the work of black or Hispanic criminals.

New York Police Commissioner Ray Kelly confirms Mac Donald’s facts. Blacks and Hispanics commit 96 percent of all crimes in the city, he says, but only 85 percent of the stop-and-frisks are of blacks and Hispanics.

And these may involve the kind of pat-downs all of us have had at the airport.

Is stop-and-frisk the work of racist cops in New York, where the crime rate has been driven down to levels unseen in decades?"

08-24-2013, 04:37 AM

should they be scare of black people, someone working for homeland security seems thinks so, http://www.theatlanticwire.com/national ... ior/68600/ (http://www.theatlanticwire.com/national/2013/08/homeland-security-employee-moonlights-race-warrior/68600/)

It amazes me when you put facts out that confirm a certain area is dangerous and prone to violent crime the only response can be a personal insult. That's how you know that what you are saying is true, the opposing party calls you names or makes personal derogatory statements. If that 89 year old WWII vet in Washington had been a little more scared he might not have gone out from his home and ultimitly been beaten to death with flashlights by two young boys, younger than Treyvon Marton. And really do I need to mention the 15 year old that shot the Australian student in the back... but lets get back to broward hmmm what was the race of the guy who shot at the tow truck driver who was doing her job? By the way, isn't Obama pushing for Ray Kelly for director of homeland security? If so you will find this interesting
"In New York from January to June 2008, 83 percent of all gun assailants were black, according to witnesses and victims, though blacks were only 24 percent of the population. Blacks and Hispanics together accounted for 98 percent of all gun assailants. Forty-nine of every 50 muggings and murders in the Big Apple were the work of black or Hispanic criminals.

New York Police Commissioner Ray Kelly confirms Mac Donald’s facts. Blacks and Hispanics commit 96 percent of all crimes in the city, he says, but only 85 percent of the stop-and-frisks are of blacks and Hispanics.

And these may involve the kind of pat-downs all of us have had at the airport.

Is stop-and-frisk the work of racist cops in New York, where the crime rate has been driven down to levels unseen in decades?"

08-24-2013, 01:38 PM
Where is Obama and Holder on that white baseball player hunted down and shot in the back on Oklahoma by someone that could be his son?...Where is Obama and Holder on that WW2 veteran that was beat to death by someone who looks like his son?...Where is Obama and Holder on that baby that was shot in the face in Atlanta by someone who could have been his son?...Better yet, where is the MEDIA on these news events that have all just happened back to back?...

No we get news reports that Trayvons Mom is cutting a rap album...it doesn't work the other way around.

08-25-2013, 12:13 AM
The use of load bearing vests in certain situations is very practical and can be an aid in the efficiency, effectiveness and safety of the wearer. The use of such vests under the terms described should be allowed.

08-25-2013, 12:27 AM

Add your own pouches w/ the MOLLE webbing.

SWEET, I want one.

08-25-2013, 01:31 AM
Vests help officers carry a heavy load

Sanger Police Officers Ramiro Garza and Jeff Bise wearing the new weight-bearing vests. (Photo by Andrew Melkonian)

Weight redistribution is intended to cut down on fatigue and injuries
By Andrew Melkonian
Sanger Herald
Published: Wednesday, July 29, 2009 4:20 PM PDT
Sanger police officers are sporting a new look these days. They are now outfitted with a load bearing vest that allows them to equally distribute the weight of the equipment they are required to carry. This takes a lot of weight off the officer’s waist and reduces the trauma that is put on the back and abdomen.

The average police officer usually carries most of his equipment on his utility duty belt and has about 20-25 pounds hanging around his waist.

The vest is intended to improve the officer’s overall movement and prevent injuries and trips to the chiropractor’s office.

The vests were purchased by the Sanger Police Officers and the Police Officers Association.

The external weight vests are not a rare tool to police officers. Some departments on the east coast and in middle America are already using the vests. However, the west coast is only slowly becoming aware of the vests.

“We are one of the few agencies in the state that uses the vest, that I am aware of,” said Officer Chris Williams of the Sanger Police Department. “Arizona is a big external vest state due to the heat.”

The idea of an load bearing vest first reached the Sanger Police Department, when Officer Jason Boust brought in a story from an Oregon newspaper that discussed how a police agency in Oregon, Gresham Police Department, was going from a traditional body vest to an external patrol vest.

Sanger Police Chief Thomas Klose saw the story, liked the idea and asked Williams to look into it.

Williams did his research by contacting other police departments and asking about the types of vests they wore.

Klose also visited his brother, who works in a police department in Gilbert, Arizona and noticed that his brother’s department was using an external vest. Williams found out who made the vests for the Gilbert Department.

“The basic idea behind the external vests is to reduce lower back injuries,” said Klose. “The officers are extremely happy with the vests. Within a week or two, every time I ran into one of them, they would say, ‘there is no more back pain.’”

The company that makes the vests is LCS Enterprises and it specializes in police and military uniform alterations, custom outer vest carrier, embroidery, and memorial banners. The company sent Sanger police a vest for testing. They did a test and evaluation and compared the results with the results of other vests that they were testing. There was about a two month test and evaluation period. Within a week, Sergeant Sanders and Officer Parton realized a significant decrease in back pain.

Lily Kincheloe is the main manufacturer of the weight bearing vests at LCS Enterprises and believes in her product with all her heart. “I believe that I use my whole heart to make the vest. I care about the officer’s life. They use their life to protect us. Each one of my vests is custom tailored. I want to help them,” said Kincheloe. She uses nylon fabric and asks officers their input when designing their vests.

Kincheloe has made vests for police agencies in New Mexico, California, Arizona, and Minnesota.

The vests are intended to reduce workers compensation claims and loss of work time because of back pain.

“Ninety percent of back pain is from twisting of the hips like from entering and leaving the police car because of the weight on the hips from the duty belts,” said Williams.

The average duty belt holds a sidearm, two magazines, two handcuffs, radio, taser, flashlight, etc. With the vest, an officer can take heavier items off his belt and place the weight on his shoulders. Williams has moved most of his equipment onto his belt. An average of about six to eight pounds of equipment is displaced.

Officer Jorge Fernandez has also noticed a big change. “It’s a big relief on my back and hips. It allows you more ability,” said Officer Fernandez.

The vests are also easy to take off, which allows the officer to cool himself down faster in the summer months. The vest lets the officer keep a professional look for patrol officers and doesn’t create the appearance of a tactical officer.

The Sanger Police Department has been using the load bearing vests since April of this year.

08-25-2013, 02:54 PM
Vests help officers carry a heavy load

Sanger Police Officers Ramiro Garza and Jeff Bise wearing the new weight-bearing vests. (Photo by Andrew Melkonian)

Weight redistribution is intended to cut down on fatigue and injuries
By Andrew Melkonian
Sanger Herald
Published: Wednesday, July 29, 2009 4:20 PM PDT
Sanger police officers are sporting a new look these days. They are now outfitted with a load bearing vest that allows them to equally distribute the weight of the equipment they are required to carry. This takes a lot of weight off the officer’s waist and reduces the trauma that is put on the back and abdomen.

The average police officer usually carries most of his equipment on his utility duty belt and has about 20-25 pounds hanging around his waist.

The vest is intended to improve the officer’s overall movement and prevent injuries and trips to the chiropractor’s office.

The vests were purchased by the Sanger Police Officers and the Police Officers Association.

The external weight vests are not a rare tool to police officers. Some departments on the east coast and in middle America are already using the vests. However, the west coast is only slowly becoming aware of the vests.

“We are one of the few agencies in the state that uses the vest, that I am aware of,” said Officer Chris Williams of the Sanger Police Department. “Arizona is a big external vest state due to the heat.”

The idea of an load bearing vest first reached the Sanger Police Department, when Officer Jason Boust brought in a story from an Oregon newspaper that discussed how a police agency in Oregon, Gresham Police Department, was going from a traditional body vest to an external patrol vest.

Sanger Police Chief Thomas Klose saw the story, liked the idea and asked Williams to look into it.

Williams did his research by contacting other police departments and asking about the types of vests they wore.

Klose also visited his brother, who works in a police department in Gilbert, Arizona and noticed that his brother’s department was using an external vest. Williams found out who made the vests for the Gilbert Department.

“The basic idea behind the external vests is to reduce lower back injuries,” said Klose. “The officers are extremely happy with the vests. Within a week or two, every time I ran into one of them, they would say, ‘there is no more back pain.’”

The company that makes the vests is LCS Enterprises and it specializes in police and military uniform alterations, custom outer vest carrier, embroidery, and memorial banners. The company sent Sanger police a vest for testing. They did a test and evaluation and compared the results with the results of other vests that they were testing. There was about a two month test and evaluation period. Within a week, Sergeant Sanders and Officer Parton realized a significant decrease in back pain.

Lily Kincheloe is the main manufacturer of the weight bearing vests at LCS Enterprises and believes in her product with all her heart. “I believe that I use my whole heart to make the vest. I care about the officer’s life. They use their life to protect us. Each one of my vests is custom tailored. I want to help them,” said Kincheloe. She uses nylon fabric and asks officers their input when designing their vests.

Kincheloe has made vests for police agencies in New Mexico, California, Arizona, and Minnesota.

The vests are intended to reduce workers compensation claims and loss of work time because of back pain.

“Ninety percent of back pain is from twisting of the hips like from entering and leaving the police car because of the weight on the hips from the duty belts,” said Williams.

The average duty belt holds a sidearm, two magazines, two handcuffs, radio, taser, flashlight, etc. With the vest, an officer can take heavier items off his belt and place the weight on his shoulders. Williams has moved most of his equipment onto his belt. An average of about six to eight pounds of equipment is displaced.

Officer Jorge Fernandez has also noticed a big change. “It’s a big relief on my back and hips. It allows you more ability,” said Officer Fernandez.

The vests are also easy to take off, which allows the officer to cool himself down faster in the summer months. The vest lets the officer keep a professional look for patrol officers and doesn’t create the appearance of a tactical officer.

The Sanger Police Department has been using the load bearing vests since April of this year.

Excellent...would somebody please show this to the Sheriff already

08-25-2013, 03:52 PM
I'll put it in his in box monday

08-26-2013, 02:01 AM
Of course, the money it would save in terms of health care premiums, and the increase in efficiency - doesn't even cross the mind of some of the ancient command staff set in their ways.

If we get vocal enough about wanting the load-bearing vests for road patrol use, even if they are OPTIONAL (we buy them ourselves), the command will eventually have to approve it.

08-26-2013, 02:38 AM
Of course, the money it would save in terms of health care premiums, and the increase in efficiency - doesn't even cross the mind of some of the ancient command staff set in their ways.

If we get vocal enough about wanting the load-bearing vests for road patrol use, even if they are OPTIONAL (we buy them ourselves), the command will eventually have to approve it.

It will have to come via the sheriff himself...the generals below him are the cause of the blockage...

08-26-2013, 08:29 AM
Well, if anyone here has the Sheriff's ear....tell him what we want! A simply adjustment to uniform policy allowing us to purchase our own load bearing vests.

It will have to come via the sheriff himself...the generals below him are the cause of the blockage...

08-26-2013, 10:25 AM
Consider it done.

08-26-2013, 07:49 PM
Sheriff, if you're reading this -

Consider the following:

1. The difference between Load-Bearing Vests and Traditional uniforms is that the SAME equipment is simply worn approximately 3-6 inches higher on the deputy, and that pockets are added to the upper body of the deputy. It is unreasonable to say that normal citizens would find higher equipment and pockets to be "intimidating." Regular citizens would probably not even notice the difference. Criminals, however, would immediately notice the difference, which shouldn't matter to us in the least.

2. Our health would be greatly improved by distributing the 25-40 lbs of gun belt weight onto our torso rather than our hips/lower back. This in turn would reduce health care premiums. You would then be able to approach the Broward County Commission and explain that you were able to implement this strategy to save the taxpayers in the long-term by helping cut down deputy injury and medical treatment needed for back/hip injuries.

3. Deputies would be MUCH more comfortable, and thus more happy and efficient. You would see more deputies becoming proactive and eager to perform their job. Bravo-Shift would also be much happier and more diligent now that they can cool down in their car by simply unzipping the front of the vest and letting the A/C run.

4. Deputies would also be safer and better protected because such vests would be able to accomidate composite level III and level IV plates, which protect against rifle threats and high velocity armor piercing handgun rounds. These composite plates only weigh approximately 1-2 lbs each, and can be easily added to outer load bearing vests (but not to the current uniform shirt outer vests, or the internal concealed vest).

5. Deputies would enjoy increased mobility and not have the misfortune of getting stuck on fences and other objects where the spare-tire of a gun belt gets caught. Some deputies, who are very proactive, would greatly benefit from this during foot-chases, surveillance, and 49A calls, among other things.

6. The best part of these Outer Load Bearing Vests.....is that they cost BSO, the taxpayers, and Broward County - absolutely NOTHING. All we are asking for is an approval of an outer-vest so that individuals deputies can purchase their own, just like the current approved uniform shirt type, which has proven to be worthless, as it simply add an additional layer of polyester, with a vest in-between, and fabric that tends to tear and easily show dirt/debris.

So, Sheriff, if you're the type of guy I think you are - a warrior, a real cop who cares about the troops, you'll consider placing pen to paper and giving the guys and girls on the road what they need....at the cost of....a signature worth of ink.

Thank you.