PDA

View Full Version : Update on pay raises

04-27-2013, 10:58 PM
House and Senate budget negotiators this evening agreed to raises for state workers, the first in six years.

The deal would provide a $1,400 pay hike for state employees who make less than $40,000 a year and $1,000 for those who earn more than that.

In addition, bonuses of up to $600 would be available as merit incentives.

"This is a great day," said Doug Martin, a lobbyist and spokesman for the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees. "Also, the way that they've structured these raises acknowledges that the great majority of state employees make less than $40,000 a year."

Lawmakers are working through final differences in the state’s $74 billion spending plan. They have until Tuesday to reach a final deal to meet a constitutionally mandated cooling-off period before voting on Friday and adjourning on time for the scheduled end of the regular session.

At the behest of Senate budget chief Joe Negron, R-Stuart, the pay package includes an additional 3 percent pay raise for law enforcement officers working for state government, and another 2 percent pay hike for officers with more than five years' experience. Negron said he wanted to raise the salaries of experienced officers, who are often plucked by municipal police forces once they get trained by the state.

To make the budget numbers work, the raises would take effect on October 1.

"Considering it's been six or seven years, I think that state employees will happily wait until October 1st," Martin said

04-28-2013, 12:31 AM
After six years, just about anything is a welcome relief! Sure hope they don't use the "merit incentives" later against those who receive them though. They were offered many years ago on a percentage basis. That was great until you went for a promotion; if you actually got promoted, the "incentive" was deducted from the step increase. :(

04-28-2013, 01:19 AM
does this additional 3% and 2% for 5+ years of service include corrections and p/p or are we just the run of the mill state workers that will get either 1000 or 1400 if we make less than 40k per year?

04-28-2013, 11:58 AM
does this additional 3% and 2% for 5+ years of service include corrections and p/p or are we just the run of the mill state workers that will get either 1000 or 1400 if we make less than 40k per year?

The additional pay raise "compression" money was negotiated by PBA for PBA members. You decided to drop PBA and now you are stuck holding an empty sack. Enjoy your $83 a month raise BEFORE taxes. Will probably amount to $50 after the taxes are taken. :lol:

04-28-2013, 12:07 PM
how will the pay be done, I will guess it on the review .Anyone with over a 4.5 gets it , lol.
PBA never tried to get them to fund the step pay when they had us,so please do not tell me if we were w them they would have. If you say that put your money where you mouth is and show me where they seriously tried to get it just for us. we got step pay the first year and then every year after that we had to have it funded, never even asked for it again.
PBA could not ask for it for us because it was too high of a ticket item ,lot cheaper for FOP who they always help since they walked away from them.
PBA promised them a raise if they voted to come back. since we left PBA they had to try and keep any bigger one from leaving ,hence the work for state Leo. I am happy for the troopers they deserve it too.
I have 9 months left to be done, so glad because the abuse continues.

04-28-2013, 02:32 PM
how will the pay be done, I will guess it on the review .Anyone with over a 4.5 gets it , lol.
PBA never tried to get them to fund the step pay when they had us,so please do not tell me if we were w them they would have. If you say that put your money where you mouth is and show me where they seriously tried to get it just for us. we got step pay the first year and then every year after that we had to have it funded, never even asked for it again.
PBA could not ask for it for us because it was too high of a ticket item ,lot cheaper for FOP who they always help since they walked away from them.
PBA promised them a raise if they voted to come back. since we left PBA they had to try and keep any bigger one from leaving ,hence the work for state Leo. I am happy for the troopers they deserve it too.
I have 9 months left to be done, so glad because the abuse continues.

We got compression pay from the PBA in the good budget years and we got a real raise when other state employees got a bonus. The Teamsters are a joke and powerless because they are clueless and dont pay to play like the PBA does. Unbelievable.