PDA

View Full Version : Community Control/Probation

04-19-2013, 02:14 PM
I'm a police officer and I've often arrested subjects on community control and others on various type of probation. What is the difference between the two? I'm assuming that CC is a more stringent form of probation but I'm not 100% sure on that. Thanks!

04-19-2013, 04:31 PM
Community Control is what's commonly referred to as 'house arrest'. You're correct, it is a more stringent form of community supervision; one step above incarceration. Basically, a person on community control is serving a jail sentence at their approved residence. Persons on community control are allowed to work, attend church/AA/CA/NA meetings, etc, but any activity outside their residence must be approved by their supervising officer, in advance and in writing. If you're arresting a community controlee, it's likely they're already in violation.

04-19-2013, 07:28 PM
Community Control is what's commonly referred to as 'house arrest'. You're correct, it is a more stringent form of community supervision; one step above incarceration. Basically, a person on community control is serving a jail sentence at their approved residence. Persons on community control are allowed to work, attend church/AA/CA/NA meetings, etc, but any activity outside their residence must be approved by their supervising officer, in advance and in writing. If you're arresting a community controlee, it's likely they're already in violation.

Thanks for the information. I don't interact with the Probation Officers of the suspects due to the unit I'm in (just catching, no cleaning!) but I was curious as to the difference. Thanks!

04-19-2013, 10:21 PM
You sound like you know what your doing. You should come interact with us if you can. The information that is shared can be priceless. Most local Law Enforcement no very little about what we actually do. Heck some don't even know we have arrest powers. This of course is no fault of there own. Its FDOC's fault for not cooperating the local Police and showing them what we do. In Pasco County (at least the west side) we have Detectives in our office everyday. Some Major crimes, some V&N, some warrants. They help us, we help them. Through the years I think most of us in New Port Richey think of it as 1 agency with 1 common goal. Even though many in DOC have done everything they can to stop this, it has grown to the point that we actually seem to make a difference.