PDA

View Full Version : CC HOLIDAY CONTACT / 1 STATE CAR

03-31-2013, 04:51 PM
so i work in an office with 8 cc officers. i know of another office with twice the number of cc officers. so how are we all to make our contacts sharing 1 car on the next holiday? i'm sure central office/region/circuit will figure something out.

03-31-2013, 05:45 PM
so i work in an office with 8 cc officers. i know of another office with twice the number of cc officers. so how are we all to make our contacts sharing 1 car on the next holiday? i'm sure central office/region/circuit will figure something out.

You'll be given a 3 hour window to get all your contacts completed and you will have to drive at least 65 mph between residences. Make it happen! Sign Central Office! Always remember, we are on your side! :snicker:

04-10-2013, 01:24 AM

You'll be given a 3 hour window to get all your contacts completed and you will have to drive at least 65 mph between residences. Make it happen! Sign Central Office! Always remember, we are on your side! :snicker:

We were told to have all our CC cases be at a particular park at the same time for our entire unit. That way only one officer from the unit would have to work, and could make the holiday contacts for the entire unit in one stop!

04-10-2013, 01:47 AM
I really hope you are joking about making all the CC cases in one office report to some random location at the same time to satisfy the holiday contact standard.

04-10-2013, 02:18 AM
I really hope you are joking about making all the CC cases in one office report to some random location at the same time to satisfy the holiday contact standard.

Why - they want the travel bills down at all costs.

04-11-2013, 12:57 AM
You should notify the news that there is a "Felons 4 Trayvon Memorial" happening at the park that day... should have no problem getting CNBC and some of the other drive-by media there! :snicker:

We were told to have all our CC cases be at a particular park at the same time for our entire unit. That way only one officer from the unit would have to work, and could make the holiday contacts for the entire unit in one stop!

04-19-2013, 02:50 AM
The 17a office has 14 CC officers. Each officer has at least 22 cases. It has to take between 3-4 hours to pick up the state car, see 22 CC cases, and bring it back. Even with two cars its impossible to all 14 officers to see all their CC cases on Memorial Day. Also, someone is going to have to take the 3-4 hour shift between midnight and 8am. Which means a longer time for the CC offenders to get out of bed to open the door.And during the day some of these CC cases may be working throughout the county.

04-19-2013, 03:21 AM
Look on the bright side, the midnight to 8am worker gets his NIGHT, WEEKEND, and HOLIDAY contacts all rolled into 1 trip!! :lol:

The 17a office has 14 CC officers. Each officer has at least 22 cases. It has to take between 3-4 hours to pick up the state car, see 22 CC cases, and bring it back. Even with two cars its impossible to all 14 officers to see all their CC cases on Memorial Day. Also, someone is going to have to take the 3-4 hour shift between midnight and 8am. Which means a longer time for the CC offenders to get out of bed to open the door.And during the day some of these CC cases may be working throughout the county.

04-19-2013, 10:46 PM

Sounds like some Cir 17 CC Officers need to learn discipline.

04-22-2013, 12:15 PM
Solution: Use your own car, don't claim mileage and see offenders when heading to the Memorial Day BBQ and when you return home. Why should DoC care if you show up in flip flops and a Jimmy Buffet tank top? No one carries their equipment anyway...It's April, the powers that be will think of a solution. :lol: This moment of sarcasm brought you by a 20 year career in the Department of Confusion.

04-23-2013, 12:01 AM
Hers is a great Idea CAR POOL FOUR OFFICERS TO ONE CAR :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :cop: :cop: :cop:

05-09-2013, 02:40 AM
Also, someone is going to have to take the 3-4 hour shift between midnight and 8am.

You might want to check out Tamika Brown v. State before you schedule those hours.

05-09-2013, 01:53 PM
Ref: Tamika Brown v. State

Very good point. Without another resident (saying the offender is not home) and a walk through, no one answering the door may not be enough for a revocation. But it is usually enough to get a warrant signed and getting a break from having to see that case for a few weeks while he sits in jail. :devil:

05-09-2013, 03:57 PM
"The 17a office has 14 CC officers. Each officer has at least 22 cases. It has to take between 3-4 hours to pick up the state car, see 22 CC cases, and bring it back".

I thought we make contacts every other holiday. That would cut the above numbers in half. Start at 7am and end at midnight, 16 total hours to make contact for 7 caseloads. Impossible?

John Augustus
05-09-2013, 05:35 PM

Very good point. Without another resident (saying the offender is not home) and a walk through, no one answering the door may not be enough for a revocation. But it is usually enough to get a warrant signed and getting a break from having to see that case for a few weeks while he sits in jail. :devil:

If an offender's failure to open the door is not enough to sustain a revocation circa Brown v. State, then it may be considered bad-faith for an officer to submit an affidavit to the Court in support of a request for a warrant based solely upon such an allegation. You'd better think that one through all the way before acting.

05-10-2013, 12:51 AM
"The 17a office has 14 CC officers. Each officer has at least 22 cases. It has to take between 3-4 hours to pick up the state car, see 22 CC cases, and bring it back".

I thought we make contacts every other holiday. That would cut the above numbers in half. Start at 7am and end at midnight, 16 total hours to make contact for 7 caseloads. Impossible?

I wont get into what the cc holiday standard is on a public forum. But remember it is not based on which holiday the officer works. It is based on the offender and making sure each individual offender is seen per the standard. Cases get assigned throughout the year. So an officer can see his whole CC caseload on one holiday, but because of a transfer or a new intake will may have to work the next holiday. Remember the holiday standard is now on the PP89.

05-10-2013, 01:00 AM

If an offender's failure to open the door is not enough to sustain a revocation circa Brown v. State, then it may be considered bad-faith for an officer to submit an affidavit to the Court in support of a request for a warrant based solely upon such an allegation. You'd better think that one through all the way before acting.

I don't know what circuit you work in, but in mine we aren't allowed not to violate when an offender claims "I didn't hear you knocking". Our sups even run the Attempted Personal report weekly. Officers have to justify why an AP was not a VOCC.

05-10-2013, 02:07 AM
What if you call their cell phone and they don't answer or you knock so hard the neighbors come outside? Again, PO's are stuck in the middle of bullshit, The judge puts them on CC but won't back you when the idiot doesn't answer his door.

John Augustus
05-10-2013, 09:46 PM

I don't know what circuit you work in, but in mine we aren't allowed not to violate when an offender claims "I didn't hear you knocking". Our sups even run the Attempted Personal report weekly. Officers have to justify why an AP was not a VOCC.

Sounds like the whole C.C. program needs to be re-evaluated and possibly eliminated.

John Augustus
05-10-2013, 09:48 PM
What about GPS? Aren't the GPS reports inadmissible hearsay? Last I checked, the Court cannot sustain a Violation of C.C. solely upon hearsay?

05-10-2013, 10:00 PM
sounds like someone is fishing for information

05-12-2013, 12:29 AM
No fishing trip intended. HTF did some of you get hired? Whine and cry, ***** and moan. I posted the Brown decision because I wanted to read the dramatic. The Brown decision is 10+ years old, yet some of you guys make comments as if you are Batman. Hell, C17 cc officers do drive-by contacts. How any of you actually go INSIDE the offender's home after the initial HV to conduct SCH/WPS?

05-12-2013, 01:45 AM
No fishing trip intended. HTF did some of you get hired? Whine and cry, ***** and moan. I posted the Brown decision because I wanted to read the dramatic. The Brown decision is 10+ years old, yet some of you guys make comments as if you are Batman. Hell, C17 cc officers do drive-by contacts. How any of you actually go INSIDE the offender's home after the initial HV to conduct SCH/WPS?

Any one who REALLY works for the department knows how often CC cases need to be seen on holidays. They would also know if GPS reports are inadmissible at VOCC hearings. It is nice to know offenders, private attorneys, and ex employees are on this site.

But lets say you do work for us. Don't you think we have a valid reason to WHINE & CRY about having to share 1 state car as a CC Officer? 8 to 16 of us having to share a car have to see 20 cases each (x amount of times) per week. Don't forget having to compete with the other non CC officers in the office. God forbid someone brings the car back late for the next guy. No wonder some of us do drive by contacts. Who wants to be known as a car hog who brings the car back late for the next guy.

05-12-2013, 04:27 AM
Hearsay cannot be the SOLE basis of the VOP! How can an offender say "that's not me on the GPS Reports"? If they are a Sex Offender and it shows them travel to a school or playground...who else could it be? Would they claim they lent their equipment to someone? Impossible without directly admitting to a different violation! :snicker:

What about GPS? Aren't the GPS reports inadmissible hearsay? Last I checked, the Court cannot sustain a Violation of C.C. solely upon hearsay?

05-12-2013, 11:56 AM
Plenty of Offenders have been sent to prison on GPS alone. Those cases are not all encompassing just like there has been cases in the 4th Circuit of Appeals saying missing one reporting month is not a willfull violation if the person has been on like a year or more and not missed any other appts and the officer had no contact with him that month but I guarantee you if they miss a month and you do a VOP they will put out a warrant and pick them up.

05-14-2013, 02:48 PM
Have circuit contact your local police chief and sheriff for additional/surplus cars. Tax write off for their agency addition cars to DC fleet.

John Augustus
05-14-2013, 04:54 PM
Plenty of Offenders have been sent to prison on GPS alone. Those cases are not all encompassing just like there has been cases in the 4th Circuit of Appeals saying missing one reporting month is not a willfull violation if the person has been on like a year or more and not missed any other appts and the officer had no contact with him that month but I guarantee you if they miss a month and you do a VOP they will put out a warrant and pick them up.

Only because the issue has never been brought up on appeal. I guarantee if an offender gets an attorney smart enough to pick up on this and appeals the issue, the appeals courts will find that GPS reports are hearsay (they are hearsay by definition), and a VOP/VOCC cannot be sustained upon hearsay alone.

05-14-2013, 08:03 PM
Perhaps it's a good reason to list 3M rep as a witness on GPS violations. I do.

John Augustus
05-14-2013, 08:18 PM
Perhaps it's a good reason to list 3M rep as a witness on GPS violations. I do.

Perhaps, but it's unlikely that will cure the hearsay problem. The State is having the same problem with enforcement of their red-light cameras. They subpoena the Corporate Reps of the company that maintains the cameras, but because the Corporate Reps were not personally present when the violations took place, he/she cannot give any testimony that the picture or video fairly and accurately depicts the scene about which he or she is testifying.

Just as an aside, I received one of those red light camera tickets last year. When I was cross-examining the Corporate Rep. in court, he actually testified that the date/time stamp was not part of the picture and video, but was added later. The judge immediately dismissed my ticket and everyone else's that day.

05-14-2013, 11:02 PM

Only because the issue has never been brought up on appeal. I guarantee if an offender gets an attorney smart enough to pick up on this and appeals the issue, the appeals courts will find that GPS reports are hearsay (they are hearsay by definition), and a VOP/VOCC cannot be sustained upon hearsay alone.

Not sure on the GPS appeal stuff but many have been sent up the river even with good private attorneys. I think the State paid a few times to bring the company people in.

05-15-2013, 12:50 AM
We should not be talking about this in an open forum.

05-15-2013, 12:54 AM
Why? Do you really think there are any secrets out there? Anyone can get any information they want . . . If they want it bad enough.

John Augustus
05-15-2013, 01:55 PM
We should not be talking about this in an open forum.

We absolutely should be talking about this in the open. If offenders are wrongfully being convicted of probation and/or C.C. violations based solely upon hearsay evidence, then as public servants, we have an ethical obligation to do something to prevent it from continuing.

05-23-2013, 02:36 AM
The whole state care thing makes the department of corrections a VERY BIG JOKE in the criminal justice community! As a CC officer, I'm tired of the availbilty of the state car determining when I can go check up on my CC cases!

05-23-2013, 02:49 AM
The whole state care thing makes the department of corrections a VERY BIG JOKE in the criminal justice community! As a CC officer, I'm tired of the availbilty of the state car determining when I can go check up on my CC cases!

:lol: :lol:

Kind Regards

Secretary Michael Crews :twisted:

05-23-2013, 11:48 AM
Highest standards for employment of any other agency, lowest standards during employment.