PDA

View Full Version : Which One Drove The Bus

02-27-2013, 02:50 PM
As the article tells it, a number of your officers threw your Sgt under the bus. I'm just wondering which officer drove the bus and kept going back and forth over the Sgt.

I understand that the Sgt was DUI. But come on guys, give the guy a break. He has worked for your agency for 24 years and this is the thanks that his coworkers give him? I sure wish the paper had printed the names of the officer's involved, so I would know who the back stabbers were.

In all my years, I have never written a LEO a ticket and never arrested 1 for DUI. With that said, I usually had the highest number of DUIs and tickets on my squad. I believe in the brotherhood and the thin blue line. You do have discretion in DUI cases. I have given breaks to civilians too, so I'm not saying that you have to do something special for a brother LEO that you wouldn't do for a civilian.

I just think it's crazy that you would call another agency to arrest someone from your agency for DUI. If you are going to dishonor the brotherhood, by all means, have the balls to do it yourself.

02-27-2013, 05:15 PM
First of all I would agree with you except you don't know this guys history. Read the article in todays Sun-Sentinel which tells of his past. (just what is in writing) I can go on and on. Maybe it's just Creeks way of washing their hands. Cowardly but effective. And the only reason the arbitrator overturned his termination

02-27-2013, 10:14 PM
As the article tells it, a number of your officers threw your Sgt under the bus. I'm just wondering which officer drove the bus and kept going back and forth over the Sgt.

I understand that the Sgt was DUI. But come on guys, give the guy a break. He has worked for your agency for 24 years and this is the thanks that his coworkers give him? I sure wish the paper had printed the names of the officer's involved, so I would know who the back stabbers were.

In all my years, I have never written a LEO a ticket and never arrested 1 for DUI. With that said, I usually had the highest number of DUIs and tickets on my squad. I believe in the brotherhood and the thin blue line. You do have discretion in DUI cases. I have given breaks to civilians too, so I'm not saying that you have to do something special for a brother LEO that you wouldn't do for a civilian.

I just think it's crazy that you would call another agency to arrest someone from your agency for DUI. If you are going to dishonor the brotherhood, by all means, have the balls to do it yourself.

You weren't there and you don't know the history. It was a shitty situation to be in for everyone involved that night and it's no one's fault but the sergeant. He knows it and has acknowledged it. Let's leave it at that please.

02-28-2013, 02:13 PM
You guys are scums broke all unwritten rules of LEO. How are you gonna give a dui to one of your owb? WOW

02-28-2013, 04:02 PM

You weren't there and you don't know the history. It was a shitty situation to be in for everyone involved that night and it's no one's fault but the sergeant. He knows it and has acknowledged it. Let's leave it at that please.

I have read what history is available and what history has been posted here.

1. Yes, it's s shitty situation.

2. Yes, it's the Sgt's fault.

3. Kudos to the Sgt if he acknowledged it. He's a much bigger man than the officers that threw him under the bus and ran him over and over.

It does not negate the fact that the whole situation could have been handled differently, without a man possibly losing his career. It sounds to me like someone wan't him gone get his stripes. Hopefully on involved will get promoted.

We have to look out for each other. No one else will.

03-01-2013, 05:12 AM
Wow I'm lost for words... To do a fellow LEO for DUI specially without injuries or damage to another person is a slap to the face to the brotherhood, something only one could expect from FHP. But to do one of your own?? Keep your lack of loyalty to yourself!! dont get us (BSO) involve in your disgrace!! :evil:

03-01-2013, 04:56 PM
Wow I'm lost for words... To do a fellow LEO for DUI specially without injuries or damage to another person is a slap to the face to the brotherhood, something only one could expect from FHP. But to do one of your own?? Keep your lack of loyalty to yourself!! dont get us (BSO) involve in your disgrace!! :evil:

I have known Curt since the 4th grade. He was with me when my first wife died 20 years ago, and my best man when I remarried last year. In the 45 years that I have called him my best friend, we have had more than a few beers together. And for those from other departments who feel the need to trash CCPD for arresting Curt, know that I have been a cop in Creek for almost 30 years. Curt is as good of a friend as one could have. That said, arresting Curt was not only the only action that could be taken, it was the right thing to do. Curt has holds no animosity, why do you? Are BSO deputies stuck in the 80's mentality of anything goes for cops? Nothing has damaged the credibility of our profession more than the public perception that cops think they are above the law. Curt was lucky. No one was hurt and he was able to immediately retire with full benifits.

I will never understand the disease of Alcoholism. What compels intelligent, ration persons to engage in high risk behavior, like drinking and driving, is beyond my comprehension.

I too have never issued a ticket to a cop or a member of a cop's family. If you can't distinguish the difference between overlooking a traffic violation and what occurred to Curt, you should find another profession. One of the gutsiet decisions I have ever seen a sergeant make, was by the sergeant on the arrest scene. Fyi, the sergeant is also a close friend of Curts. It seems to me that your "loyalty" is misplaced, not ours.

If you frequent this site at all, you know we are really good at trashing our own department. But, we are a family, some might say a dysfunctional family, but still a family. If we trash each other that's one thing, but to be trashed by someone from an agency apparently unable to understand what our profession is all about, is laughable.

03-01-2013, 06:46 PM

The above poster is either ignorant, or an a-hole, or both and does not speak for ANY LEO

It is very difficult to know people and I don't think one can ever really know any but one's own countrymen. For men and women are not only themselves; they are also the region in which they are born, the city apartment or the farm in which they learnt to walk, the games they played as children, the old wives' tales they overheard, the food they ate, the schools they attended, the sports they followed, the poets they read, and the God they believed in. It is all these things that have made them what they are, and these are the things that you can't come to know by hearsay, you can only know them if you have lived them.
W. Somerset Maugham (1874 - 1965)

03-01-2013, 10:00 PM
Brotherhood? That does not exist , brotherhood is a thing of the past. Wake up guys, brotherhood in pingas.

03-01-2013, 10:04 PM
The main problem is most of the senior people at Coconut Creek Police Department were Fireman first. Enough said, they do not have a cop mentality and never will. Disfunctional is an understatement.

03-01-2013, 11:07 PM
The main problem is most of the senior people at Coconut Creek Police Department were Fireman first. Enough said, they do not have a cop mentality and never will. Disfunctional is an understatement.

If you are implying that Creek officers don't have a "cop mentality" because we don't consider ourselves above the law, than you would be right. It is shocking to think that a cop, in 2013, would think they are. Dude, you are embarrassing all of us if you think otherwise. You think only cops read these posts?

03-02-2013, 04:58 AM

If you are implying that Creek officers don't have a "cop mentality" because we don't consider ourselves above the law, than you would be right. It is shocking to think that a cop, in 2013, would think they are. Dude, you are embarrassing all of us if you think otherwise. You think only cops read these posts?

It's not about being above the law, it's about looking out for each other. You do have discretion on tickets and DUIs. You don't kick a brother when he's down, you help him out. If that means getting them help when they need it then then that's what you do. Not calling another agency to take them to jail for a discretionary misdemeanor.

03-03-2013, 03:41 AM

I have known Curt since the 4th grade. He was with me when my first wife died 20 years ago, and my best man when I remarried last year. In the 45 years that I have called him my best friend, we have had more than a few beers together. And for those from other departments who feel the need to trash CCPD for arresting Curt, know that I have been a cop in Creek for almost 30 years. Curt is as good of a friend as one could have. That said, arresting Curt was not only the only action that could be taken, it was the right thing to do. Curt has holds no animosity, why do you? Are BSO deputies stuck in the 80's mentality of anything goes for cops? Nothing has damaged the credibility of our profession more than the public perception that cops think they are above the law. Curt was lucky. No one was hurt and he was able to immediately retire with full benifits.

I will never understand the disease of Alcoholism. What compels intelligent, ration persons to engage in high risk behavior, like drinking and driving, is beyond my comprehension.

I too have never issued a ticket to a cop or a member of a cop's family. If you can't distinguish the difference between overlooking a traffic violation and what occurred to Curt, you should find another profession. One of the gutsiet decisions I have ever seen a sergeant make, was by the sergeant on the arrest scene. Fyi, the sergeant is also a close friend of Curts. It seems to me that your "loyalty" is misplaced, not ours.

If you frequent this site at all, you know we are really good at trashing our own department. But, we are a family, some might say a dysfunctional family, but still a family. If we trash each other that's one thing, but to be trashed by someone from an agency apparently unable to understand what our profession is all about, is laughable.

Anyone who has ever worked at CCPD will know who wrote this. Knowing who it is I would say that post should answer any question raised by this thread. I'm sure that this was a painful situation for everyone involved but if he says that it was handled properly then it was, I assure you. I understand where you are coming from and I'm sure that you mean well but you do not know the history here or the people involved. You need to just respect the above poster and re-read what he wrote. I guarantee that this was handled as it needed to be. Just relax and be thankful that no one was hurt. Your blind defense of a fellow LEO is not applicable here.

03-03-2013, 05:37 AM

Truer and more heartfelt words could not be spoken. This situation was unavoidable for everyone involved but Curt and he would tell you that himself...God bless you Curt and I hope you get the help you need!!

03-03-2013, 06:46 AM
With friends like all of you who needs enemies or bad guys. I mean really I wouldn't expect a friend to have me arrested or try to justify a coworker doing it in a situation like that.

I call BS on any of you who wouldn't hope and pray for a break if in Curt's shoes.

03-03-2013, 09:48 AM
With friends like all of you who needs enemies or bad guys. I mean really I wouldn't expect a friend to have me arrested or try to justify a coworker doing it in a situation like that.

I call BS on any of you who wouldn't hope and pray for a break if in Curt's shoes.

Wow, what a novel idea, let's all pray for Curt. Thanks.

While late, here is a thought for you;

"Better to keep your mouth closed and be thought a fool than open it and remove all doubt." Mark Twain

DO NOT judge us until you know us, DO NOT underestimate us until you have challenged us, AND, DO NOT talk about us until you have talked to us.

happy happy happy

03-03-2013, 01:58 PM

I don't know why I am wasting my time trying to explain this to you but I will try again. You do not know the history or the people involved here. Curtis was a fine officer and had the potential to be much more if he had been able to control his alcohol addiction. It has reached a point where all other alternatives were exhausted. He has certainly received more than his share of breaks over the years. If he was allowed to continue he, or someone else was going to die. I know and trust those involved here. I know how difficult this was for them but there really was no alternative. Your criticism of the way this was handled is unwarranted and wrong.

My prayers go out for Curt and his friends who he forced into this difficult situation.

03-04-2013, 03:20 AM

I don't know why I am wasting my time trying to explain this to you but I will try again. You do not know the history or the people involved here. Curtis was a fine officer and had the potential to be much more if he had been able to control his alcohol addiction. It has reached a point where all other alternatives were exhausted. He has certainly received more than his share of breaks over the years. If he was allowed to continue he, or someone else was going to die. I know and trust those involved here. I know how difficult this was for them but there really was no alternative. Your criticism of the way this was handled is unwarranted and wrong.

My prayers go out for Curt and his friends who he forced into this difficult situation.

You prove my point in your post. He had an addiction and needed help, not an arrest and forced retirement. Sounds likes somebody was looking for some stripes.

03-04-2013, 05:27 AM
Some people can't be helped, he already went thru rehab. All of us (his friends) have done everything we could for him. You really should butt out of this one because you really have no idea of what you are talking about. We supported him then and we are supporting his decision to retire. Letting him skate one more time would have done nothing. I know you think somehow if you we're there it would have been ok but you again don't know him we do. we are just glad that he didn't hurt or kill someone else. Do your loved drive on these roads? How do you feel about people driving DUI. I am not talking a little over the limit, I am talking severely impaired. Last DUI he was 3x over the legal limit. Are you ok with that? Because the experts on the scene thaought he was well over 3x times over this time

On a separate note it is sad that you still defend the position that we are above the law. That is a sad comentary that people like you infest our profession. If you want to be a thug with a gun practice your trade somewhere else maybe some third world country. This was not a mater of professional curtosity this was serious serious stuff for a man who has had a 2nd, 3rd and 4th chance. Curt is more of a professional then you will ever be because he realized that given the circumstance of his arrest it was Best that he pack it in and retire, he manned up and told everyone that he has no one to blame but himself. Your comments in your posts are embarrassing to the law enforcement profession. Move on and stop dishonoring a very noble profession.

03-04-2013, 01:51 PM
Some people can't be helped, he already went thru rehab. All of us (his friends) have done everything we could for him. You really should butt out of this one because you really have no idea of what you are talking about. We supported him then and we are supporting his decision to retire. Letting him skate one more time would have done nothing. I know you think somehow if you we're there it would have been ok but you again don't know him we do. we are just glad that he didn't hurt or kill someone else. Do your loved drive on these roads? How do you feel about people driving DUI. I am not talking a little over the limit, I am talking severely impaired. Last DUI he was 3x over the legal limit. Are you ok with that? Because the experts on the scene thaought he was well over 3x times over this time

On a separate note it is sad that you still defend the position that we are above the law. That is a sad comentary that people like you infest our profession. If you want to be a thug with a gun practice your trade somewhere else maybe some third world country. This was not a mater of professional curtosity this was serious serious stuff for a man who has had a 2nd, 3rd and 4th chance. Curt is more of a professional then you will ever be because he realized that given the circumstance of his arrest it was Best that he pack it in and retire, he manned up and told everyone that he has no one to blame but himself. Your comments in your posts are embarrassing to the law enforcement profession. Move on and stop dishonoring a very noble profession.

This will be my last post on this subject, obviously you are too close to the situation to see it clearly.

I have NEVER defended anyone being above the law. Professional Courtesy is different. You have discretion and the right to use it with anyone that you like. I have used my discretion with Joe Blow citizen. Does that make them above the law? I have used my discretion with members of the military, does that make them above the law? I have used my discretion with ER Nurses and Doctors, does that make them above the law?

I have had the most DUIs in my squad most of my career, as well as have had the highest in the agency before. People come to me for help with DUIs. The point I am trying to make here, is that I hate Drunk Drivers, but, I still use discretion and still make plenty of arrests for it.

Now if you still want to blast me, go ahead. I don't think anyone is above the law. I think crooked cops should be buried under the jails. I have no acceptance for crooked cops. There is a difference between being crooked, and being sick, or making a mistake, or speeding.

I know of a while back an officer tried to call someone to a bar to pick them up and his ride was taking a while to get there. Anyway, he sat in his truck in the parking lot and fell asleep waiting for the ride. Another agency arrested him for DUI, as he was in "actual physical control" with his keys in his pocket and behind the wheel sleeping. Technically this is a good arrest, but I wouldn't even charge Joe Blow Citizen with DUI in this case.

As officers we have no one to watch our backs except each other. Even the public who used to support us is more out to get us than ever before. We need to have the brotherhood now more than ever. We need to get rid of the Watts mentality.

03-04-2013, 02:22 PM

You are absolutely correct on all counts. There is just no reasoning with some people. They have their mind made up and that is it. I don't think he even reads what we are writing or if he does he doesn't understand. As long as Curt and everyone else there is satisfied with this that is all that really matters.

God bless y'all and stay safe.

03-04-2013, 04:13 PM

This will be my last post on this subject, obviously you are too close to the situation to see it clearly.

I have NEVER defended anyone being above the law. Professional Courtesy is different. You have discretion and the right to use it with anyone that you like. I have used my discretion with Joe Blow citizen. Does that make them above the law? I have used my discretion with members of the military, does that make them above the law? I have used my discretion with ER Nurses and Doctors, does that make them above the law?

I have had the most DUIs in my squad most of my career, as well as have had the highest in the agency before. People come to me for help with DUIs. The point I am trying to make here, is that I hate Drunk Drivers, but, I still use discretion and still make plenty of arrests for it.

Now if you still want to blast me, go ahead. I don't think anyone is above the law. I think crooked cops should be buried under the jails. I have no acceptance for crooked cops. There is a difference between being crooked, and being sick, or making a mistake, or speeding.

I know of a while back an officer tried to call someone to a bar to pick them up and his ride was taking a while to get there. Anyway, he sat in his truck in the parking lot and fell asleep waiting for the ride. Another agency arrested him for DUI, as he was in "actual physical control" with his keys in his pocket and behind the wheel sleeping. Technically this is a good arrest, but I wouldn't even charge Joe Blow Citizen with DUI in this case.

As officers we have no one to watch our backs except each other. Even the public who used to support us is more out to get us than ever before. We need to have the brotherhood now more than ever. We need to get rid of the Watts mentality.

Let me understand your logic; WE don't understand YOU, because WE, are to close to the situation to see it clearly? What? Are you serious? Wtf does that possibly mean, except that WE know what we are talking about and YOU don't. What I take from your statement is that you finally admit you don't have a clue about the situation, but just have to keep putting your foot in your mouth.

03-05-2013, 08:28 PM
Wow, you all really think he deserves retirement benifits? And you, his very best friend, birds of a feather etc. you were charged with burglary, battery and witness tamp. You only got away with it because you cried to your daughter. I guess Curt can show his retirement badge to his cellmates. :devil:

03-05-2013, 11:39 PM
Wow, you all really think he deserves retirement benifits? And you, his very best friend, birds of a feather etc. you were charged with burglary, battery and witness tamp. You only got away with it because you cried to your daughter. I guess Curt can show his retirement badge to his cellmates. :devil:

It's all good. :snicker: