PDA

View Full Version : the state wants us to DropDead Cars

01-20-2013, 12:26 AM
Below was taken straight from the DMS Fleet rules for state vehicles.....

Florida Department of Management Services Division of Specialized Services
Minimum Equipment Replacement Criteria

????
Cars and light trucks (up to and including 1 ton pickups trucks) replacement eligibility is determined by using the Replacement Eligibility Factor (REF) calculation. All other vehicle classes must use the standard Units (Miles or Hours) and Age (in months) table (page 3).
Vehicles with a minimum REF score of 300 points are deemed eligible for replacement. In addition, the criteria establishes maximum values, referred to as a “DROPDEAD” values, for a vehicle’s age and miles. Once a vehicle reaches a “DROPDEAD” value it is automatically deemed eligible for replacement regardless of any other factors.
REF calculation:
DROPDEAD Age: 12 years (standard vehicle)
8 years (pursuit vehicle)
DROPDEAD Miles: 120,000 (standard vehicle up to 1/2 Ton pickup) 150,000 (3/4 & 1 Ton pickup)
80,000 (pursuit vehicle)
1. Age in Years (using the greater of either Date in Service or Model Year (use June as the Model Year's month)) divided by DROPDEAD Age.
if > 99.9% vehicle meets DROPDEAD value based on age
or > 89.4% add 150 to REF
or > 74.4% add 125 to REF
or > 65.4% add 100 to REF
or > 49.4% add 75 to REF
or > 32.4% add 50 to REF
or > 24.4% add 25 to REF
2. Life Odometer divided by DROPDEAD Miles.
if > 99.9% vehicle meets DROPDEAD value based on miles or > 89.4% ADD 150 to REF
or > 74.4% ADD 125 to REF
or > 65.4% ADD 100 to REF
or > 49.4% ADD 75 to REF
or > 32.4% ADD 50 to REF
or > 24.4% ADD 25 to REF
3. Using condition for last 12 months, for each month: if W (Wrecked) or P (Poor) add 5 to REF
or B (Burned) add 10 to REF

01-20-2013, 02:20 PM
Arent most of those cars they gave us over 120k. And 120k on a state care is much worse than on most POV's.

01-20-2013, 02:25 PM
Just continue to take car of the vehicle like it has bee to date and you won't have it long. The maintenance bills alone along with the towing fees will force them to get rid of them. Just play the game.

01-20-2013, 06:37 PM
What does the dept do when the vehicle reaches the drop dead limit? Do they sell them at auctions? Place adds on Craigslist? Trade them in?

01-20-2013, 08:57 PM
My guess would be auction, don't think they bring much money either. We had vehicles from 1980's that they finally got rid of. It's a joke when they do get new vehicles they let them rot in the sun, and use them like a back up vehicle. Yes considering they break down all the time now, they are now using used parts to fix them. As long as the brakes, tires and it steers straight I'm happy, and has working ac or air to defrost the window if needed.

01-20-2013, 11:57 PM
Just continue to take car of the vehicle like it has bee to date and you won't have it long. The maintenance bills alone along with the towing fees will force them to get rid of them. Just play the game.

You nailed it! Just play the game, these POS cars will break down! :snicker: :snicker:

01-21-2013, 03:03 AM
The really sad thing is, this would not fly in any other agency. The prisons have it bad but overall the things that DOC does to both of us would never be done in other agencies. I just want to know if someone gets in an accident and hurt bad in a drop dead vehicle does Nimer still fall under qualified immunity since she is putting "drop dead" cars in signicant usage with us. How about if my car is stolen in the parking lot while I do curfew checks or if I breakdown in the hood late at night with a state car that stands out like a sore thumb and some thugs take me out?

I think we should have cars for field. It's long overdue but they are not doing this for us. They are doing something with no thought to our safety in a knee jerk reaction to fulfill some quick mandate to save money. DOC and the state are not so broke....it is where they are spending the money that is the problem. Meanwhile we get treated like dirt. I really don't think I can take much more and despite having loved what I do, will start planning for a mid-life career change.

There is absolutely no dignity left in this JOB.

01-21-2013, 04:09 AM
If a POV is stolen your insurance would have to cover it. If you wreck that would fall under workmans comp I would think.

01-21-2013, 12:01 PM
There is absolutely no dignity left in this JOB

Thanks to Jenny Nimer and the Tallahassee Criminals.

01-27-2013, 05:48 AM
There is absolutely no dignity left in this JOB

Thanks to Jenny Nimer and the Tallahassee Criminals.

Ok genius, Jenny Nimmer putting Drop Dead vehicles in the fleet. Is it her fault that is all that is left. We bought most of our vehicles since 1996 from other agencies at auction. I drove one the other day and whose name was on top of the use list? Jenny Nimmer.

I don't like the idea either but overall it is a cost savings. Look at the big picture- Acadmy class more officers or mileage? We are the redheaded step children of this Governor. The Governor clearly marked us as a target during his campaign. Do you really think that is going to change? The only way to stop privatization is to save, save, save. $490 million surplus but DC is still 190 million in the whole. Why? It is not beacuse of our administration but the overall attitude of the legislature and governors budgets. 2 more sessions to survive before we can even think of a decent chance of getting anytging and not running in the red.

01-27-2013, 02:30 PM
Nimer may to be a bad person. However, she has sat by and allowed this to occur. We have 0 respect from other agencies. The cars are a ploy to get us to eat our own mileage. We continue to place reentry before public saftey. We have not rec'd a raise in 7 years. We dont even have computers that work correct. There needs to be vast changes. The entire administartion should be fired. Mrs. Nimmer, I'm sorry but all you do is continue to say yes to our Govenor while you and the Secretary get raises. This is a total lack of leadership. In the private world you would have been fired long ago.

01-27-2013, 10:29 PM
I agree fire the idiots who allowed us to get this far in debt. Hello who has been using all these vechicles, why could central office have 30 to spare. What the hell is the useless positions in central office , fire them all and lets try this over.

01-28-2013, 01:06 AM
I agree fire the idiots who allowed us to get this far in debt. Hello who has been using all these vechicles, why could central office have 30 to spare. What the hell is the useless positions in central office , fire them all and lets try this over.

This far in debt ? We have taken the biggest % and overall cuts than any agency. They need to stand up for DOC period.

01-28-2013, 03:17 AM
Stand up for DOC? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

01-28-2013, 07:58 AM

I was wondering that myself. How did they find all these vehicles suddenly? Why weren't POs using them all along? Who else could have possibly needed these vehicles more than a PO? Seriously, we really need to fire whoever let these cars sit around. The one in my office is busy every morning, afternoon and night. Love it.

07-19-2013, 01:48 PM
Thought it was a good time to resurect this thread. Now I know where the "drop dead" lingo came from.

07-20-2013, 12:20 AM
Nimer may to be a bad person. However, she has sat by and allowed this to occur. We have 0 respect from other agencies. The cars are a ploy to get us to eat our own mileage. We continue to place reentry before public saftey. We have not rec'd a raise in 7 years. We dont even have computers that work correct. There needs to be vast changes. The entire administartion should be fired. Mrs. Nimmer, I'm sorry but all you do is continue to say yes to our Govenor while you and the Secretary get raises. This is a total lack of leadership. In the private world you would have been fired long ago.

The needs of the many (clients) outweigh the needs of the few (PO's). :snicker:

Glok007
07-20-2013, 03:05 AM
i think us using state cars is a good idea...if they were worth driving. fhp is asking for their chargers to be taken off their hands because they keep bottoming out in the middle of the higways. local sheriff has offered to give us their cars that due to policy they can't drive anymore (75,00 miles) a lot of this has to do with good fleet management contract negotiations. we are DOC - we are huge. any car dealership would be drooling to get a contract with us. i bet we could get a huge discount on some tahoes (wishful thinking) if the state committed to buying only those through them for a set amount of time. you think fhp pays anywhere near full price for the base charger/thaoe before they sup it up? hell no...pennies on the dollar. we don't need pursuit vehicles, so all that extra money isnt' needed to put into the engine and graphics and such...maybe just a workable computer (wishful thinking again)

07-20-2013, 03:16 AM
i think us using state cars is a good idea...if they were worth driving. fhp is asking for their chargers to be taken off their hands because they keep bottoming out in the middle of the higways. local sheriff has offered to give us their cars that due to policy they can't drive anymore (75,00 miles) a lot of this has to do with good fleet management contract negotiations. we are DOC - we are huge. any car dealership would be drooling to get a contract with us. i bet we could get a huge discount on some tahoes (wishful thinking) if the state committed to buying only those through them for a set amount of time. you think fhp pays anywhere near full price for the base charger/thaoe before they sup it up? hell no...pennies on the dollar. we don't need pursuit vehicles, so all that extra money isnt' needed to put into the engine and graphics and such...maybe just a workable computer (wishful thinking again)

DOC wants to pay literally nothing for the cars and that is why they are straight junk mostly. The one our circuit got from the Sheriffs Office was such junk that no one would buy it at the auction but now we are forced to drive the broke down safety trap.

Glok007
07-20-2013, 01:47 PM
speaking of which, I just found this online from this site>>>>

http://www.tampabay.com/news/publicsafe ... vs/2132113 (http://www.tampabay.com/news/publicsafety/crime/in-debate-over-best-patrol-cars-pinellas-sheriff-supersizes-to-suvs/2132113)

Florida police cars

The Florida Department of Management Services' state contract for police vehicles lists these base prices. Agencies can choose to use different state contracts. The exact price also depends on what features each vehicle has.

Chevy Impala: $19,864
Dodge Charger: $22,359
Ford Interceptor: $22,614
Ford Utility Interceptor: $24,400
Chevrolet Tahoe: $25,564
Chevrolet Caprice: $26,194

Here's what local law enforcement agencies are mostly buying now:
Chevrolet Impala: Pasco County
Dodge Charger: Tampa, Hillsborough County, Gulfport, Tarpon Springs, Florida Highway Patrol
Ford Interceptor: St. Petersburg, Hernando County
Chevrolet Tahoe: Pinellas County
Chevrolet Caprice: Clearwater, Largo, Pinellas Park

how many p&p offices are there? i would drive the wheels off of any one of these...

Glok007
07-20-2013, 03:21 PM
according to the doc site, there are 131 probation offices throughout the state...2.65 million solves all our problems. wonder how much we spend in upkeep/down time?

07-20-2013, 04:26 PM
Interesting report
http://www.oppaga.state.fl.us/MonitorDo ... 231rpt.pdf (http://www.oppaga.state.fl.us/MonitorDocs/Reports/pdf/0231rpt.pdf)

Seems the problem is NOT new and NOT just DOC.

Glok007
07-20-2013, 06:01 PM
Interesting report
http://www.oppaga.state.fl.us/MonitorDo ... 231rpt.pdf (http://www.oppaga.state.fl.us/MonitorDocs/Reports/pdf/0231rpt.pdf)

Seems the problem is NOT new and NOT just DOC.

DMS is the real problem. so much control, but no one can say squat to them...

07-20-2013, 10:27 PM
We have the left over worst crap cars in the whole state. DJJ and them weren't even driving wrecks like this before. Locals and Feds wouldn't even allow most of these cars to be used by their people.

07-22-2013, 12:18 AM
Boring,