PDA

View Full Version : Moving Forward

01-14-2013, 02:30 AM
I would like to thank the Chief and City Mgr. for hiring a 10 -08 man and a cop's cop, the new DC, GL.

We want you, DC, to feel great about coming to CCPD. We want you to enjoy your new position, you certainly have EARNED it. You had an outstanding career at BSO and I am sure you are already missed. We are all looking forward to meeting you, as please do take the time to meet all of us. We heard your impressive résumé last Thursday, but keep in mind, we all have a resume too, that is the men and woman of CCPD have many experiences and history to share with you. Many of us are proud of what we HAVE DONE and continue to do day in and day out to make our department a great place to work.

Clearly there have been days over the last three years that absolutely sucked for some and great for others. You can't make everyone happy, but you can treat your employees, who make this place work with dignity, honor and respect, which has not always been the case.

IA's have been a contentious issue here. I am all for accountability and professionalism. Nobody is perfect and mistakes are made. However, if the mistake was not intentionally done or a policy not exactly followed, sometimes a good ass chewing goes a long way. Most of us learn from our mistakes, especially if you and the Chief can give us your point of view on an issue in a respectful, professional manner. Again, not always the case.

But this post is not about the past, it's about moving forward.

All we ask is that when scrutinizing anything, an arrest, a SWAT Mission, a call for service, etc., keep an open mind and ask yourself one question, "Was the END RESULT a success?" If the answer is yes, a thank you or "Good Job" will do. If not, we will listen and learn from your constructive criticism, keeping in mind, your 30 years of service and experience. And hopefully, enjoy being treated like an adult and being treated like the professional officers we are. Just keep in mind, the result may not have been accomplished exactly the way you or the Chief would have done it, but in the end, if the act was a success; Embrace that and build on it. We can always improve anything we do, but the key is to involve all, so we all feel part of the team and can be proud and take ownership of all our endeavors moving forward. You have that luxury in a dept. of our size.

Lets be a proactive force to be reckoned with, instead of a patrol of report takers. Listen to suggestions, that if make sense, try it.

Many of us are committed to the Chief's vision and mission of CCPD as long as we keep it "real" and we are treated with dignity, honor and respect.

Great leadership is contagious and we are all looking forward to standing with you and the Chief to move forward.

Welcome to the team.

Moral of this story, if you can get us to a place where we can agree to disagree in a respectful, and honorable manner, someday we can sign our name to these post without fear of retribution or fear of being kicked back to the road, as if the road (patrol) was a dishonorable place to be. Really?

Yours Truly,

Mr. Attitude

01-14-2013, 11:23 PM
Over the course of the past three and half years this website has been filled with all sorts of finger pointing and excuses for the problems that have plagued this agency since the change in administration. Make no mistake about it, the sole reason this agency is in such disarray and suffering from a complete lack of morale is the lack of leadership. I have worked very closely with the leadership since its inception and I can tell you that the lack of leadership the agency has experienced is a direct result of a lack of self-confidence, professional integrity, knowledge of current police practices, and overall leadership skills.

The first sign that we were in trouble was the hiring of multiple friends to positions within the department. This was, for all intents and purposes, a security blanket. Having a group of friends close by gave the leadership a greater comfort level, and a fan base per se, that would unconditionally come to the leadership’s defense against poor decision making and the overall lack of leadership skills. In order to build on the trust of friends, favoritism was extended to many of them in the form of specialty assignments, etc. This became even more of an issue when the friends that were hired: clerical staff, entry level officers etc. had more input in the day-to-day operations of the department than the command staff. Ultimately, the complete and udder downfall of the leadership began with the establishment of a Deputy Chiefs position.

The ex-DC easily identified just how weak the leadership was and quickly began acting as the de-facto head of the agency by taking complete advantage of the weak leadership and instilling a sense of paranoia that would enable him to control the leadership. Make no mistake about it; the ex-DC was the head of the agency right up to the point that the CM advised the ex-DC (through his intermediary) that his services were no longer needed. For the record, the ex-DC retired, but the fallout from his “retirement” resulted in the bitter end of a friendship that spanned many years. A relationship that was more about a bully and his weak, inept side kick, than anything else. *See letter to wife following dismissal.

Needless to say, life under the ex-DC’s reign became a living hell for most of us: attempts to prosecute numerous employees with phantom criminal charges, serving I.A. papers to an employee while he held vigil over a gravely ill daughter, orchestrating a quid pro quo situation to oust a long term employee, relieving people of their specialty assignments because they had the nerve to defend themselves during internal investigations. The list goes on and on. There is neither the time nor the space in this post to document all of the inequities. The history of his tenure has left an indelible stain on this agency and the damage he inflicted is known to all of us.

While everybody knows the evil that was perpetrated upon us during the ex-DC’s reign, the one question nobody seems to be asking is: Where was the leadership while the ex-DC was independently investigating us, terrorizing us, and threatening our livelihoods and the welfare of our families?

Being a party to, and condoning unethical and immoral practices, and showing no semblance of a moral compass are character flaws that no law enforcement agency should condone in their leadership. When the CM resorted to holding a meeting with the entire agency to deliver a message of: This is the leadership. If you don’t like it leave. The underlying message was: I’m stepping in to exert my will because the leadership has failed to earn the trust and has lost the respect of its followers. The minute the CM stood in front of us and uttered those words, the leadership lost any shred of credibility that may have remained amongst us. (For me personally, I lost that last bit of respect for the leadership after I witnessed the embarrassing, gushing, school boy crush routine that took place during a sergeant promotional ceremony – I was embarrassed for the agency that such an episode was put on public display).

There is nothing the leadership can do at this point to gain our trust and respect or reestablish any sense of credibility. Being invited to the Christmas party after being snubbed in the past does not absolve the leadership from the sins of the past. The Emperor Has No Cloths….we have seen the leadership, and it does not possess any redeemable leadership qualities. The observations of our leadership’s qualities are not restricted to those of us in the police department either. Employees throughout the city, including many of the Department Directors, speak quietly behind closed doors about the dysfunctional leadership of the agency. Most, if not all, wonder how low the CM will allow the agency to sink before stepping in and acknowledging a change must be made.

None of us are going to take the CM up on his offer to leave. Our personal well-being and the welfare of our families depend on our jobs. Please don’t confuse our need to remain employed with the approval of the leadership’s actions, character, or abilities. I for one will bide my time in the hope that new leadership is not far off. Anybody who believes that unethical, retaliatory behavior is a thing of the past, need only to look at the Support Lieutenant who was reassigned because he simply exerted his right to have lunch with a friend. Keep in mind that it was not the leadership’s decision to oust the ex-DC. The leadership had no problem with his continued unethical behavior. It was the CM’s mandate that put an end to the ex-DC’s wrath.

There will be those that will say: Let it go (with all due respect to Angela – and I do respect her). I would suggest those people were not the ones who were targeted by this administration. This administration tried to destroy people’s lives, people’s families. You don’t just forget that the welfare of your family, your children, was threatened. And for no other reason than someone wanted to justify their own existence and to showcase their investigative skills (or in this case, lack thereof). Until you’ve experienced it, don’t pretend to know what it’s like to be targeted for the sake of someone else’s ego. I refuse to pretend nothing ever happened. Those who ignore history are destined to repeat it. Never forget……don’t ever forget!

I know job one for the leadership will be an all-out attempt to try and identify the author of this post. Trust me; I have been present for many of their internal witch hunts. Inevitably, the leadership will assign blame to someone, with little to no proof, and someone’s career will suffer (without them even knowing). I realize the likelihood of the leadership questioning the content of their character in all of this is non-existent, but the leadership should know how the past three and half years are viewed by the majority of us. Not the few that the leadership would like everyone to believe. If there’s any doubt which side represents the few, let’s take a vote!

01-15-2013, 04:15 AM
Welcome back

01-15-2013, 04:33 AM
This is definitely

01-15-2013, 08:18 AM
Who cares who it is its fantastic

01-15-2013, 08:25 AM
My team see's it different .. It was way way way worse 3 years ago. Only the minority of disgruntled cops would say that. Please find a new department because we like what we see here.

01-27-2013, 10:28 PM
I have just read the "moving forward and bottom line" post. I have to say a lot in those posts are true and I too hope we can move forward and get our leadership act together.

I do not come on this site often because it seems to be filled personal attacks, not facts. I try to stay clear of the politics, but I have many questions and do wonder WHY many of the decisions made over the last three years were made. Maybe someone can honestly answer my questions.

Some of the people I am about to mention have taught me some great lessons when it comes to leadership, tactics, professionalism and most importantly, family first and getting home safe at the end of the day. Why, because they were given the gift of natural born leaders and when they speak, I listen. Clearly, it seems the Chief does not. Maybe because they are not "yes men " and yes, I have heard them speak their mind, with respect I might add.

One thing that sticks with me is that the few I am about to mention have clearly EARNED their status by virtue of hard work and dedication to their respective jobs, no matter what division or unit they have been attached to. They all have worked their share of holidays, weekends, and nights. Unlike those who have been recently promoted. Simply going from one specialty unit to the road for a few months then back to a specialty does not give that newly promoted person a chance to learn, team build or learn to make critical decisions in the heat of the moment and most importantly, gain the RESPECT and TRUST of their subordinates and peers. It is no fault of there own, they are good people, but have they earned their position?

We all saw right through the last sergeant's test and how good officers were passed up in order to get to Sgt BD. Thank God the Chief finally saw the light and at least promoted #1 and he seems to be a fine LT. But, the 1st five on the list would have made fine sergeants. Instead some skipped, WHY?

I have been here long enough to see some great officers and leaders in which I would follow anywhere; Lt JL, Sgt KC, Sgt CM, Lt DB, just to name a few, beat down, and demoralized. I have heard many rumors as to why, because none of them discuss what has happened to them with me. In a way, I admire that, because they have integrity. I have always been able to go to any of them and discuss issues with confidence they would lead me in the right direction. And they have never let me down.

But what I do not understand is why, for example, Sgt CM was moved from SET / SCU. His unit seemed to arrest bad guys daily and he always included patrol in there operations when possible and he always gave credit where credit was due. If it wasn't for him, many would not have the ribbons on your chest. For my own selfish reasons, I am glad he is back to patrol as he is one of the best road sergeants we have. He has always treated me and others with respect and exudes confidence for all of us to do our jobs tactfully, professionally and safely. He demands nothing but your best effort on every call for service. Why was he kicked off SWAT? I would go thru any door with him. I liked what Mr. Attitude said in his/her last post- Was the event a success? Seemed like all his operations got the bad guy. Anyway, sorry, I went off on a tangent, I just admire the man.

The last great training we did when he was in charge of training and SET / SCU. It was the best. Me along with all the officers I know said it was the best realistic training we had in a long time. He challenged us in so many demensions. So what happened? At least, why isn't he in Training? Officer C B and DE are fantastic too, but it is not fair to CB to take on that responsibility and not get paid for it. And if training was a higher priority around here, which it is not, a supervisor would be assigned to the TU to help the TU be the best it can be. Not just to put a Sgt in charge of the TU in name, who has no qualifications or interest to handle the reponsibilty. Again, that just shows where the priorities are.

Why was Lt DB was moved from CID ? He has dedicated his on duty and off duty time to this city and citizens I have learned a great deal from him throughout my career.

Why was the 1st five on the sergeant's list not promoted?

Why was Sgt KC removed from K-9? A great Sgt. who has dedicated his whole career to K-9. Why isn't he in charge of that unit?

These outstanding veteran officers have earned the privilege to serve in these high liability specialized units.

These veteran officers will retire within several years, opening up the window for movement through natural attrition.

But instead the Chief has promoted or moved inexperienced people who should still be on the road. Lets check there attitude after working the road as a supervisor for at least 5 years?? Sure the select rookie sergeant's and LT attitude is wonderful now with every weekend and holiday off and home every night with there families. They haven' had a chance to screw up, not that I wish for anyone to mess up, but you will learn from experience and mistakes.

I guess seniority means absolutely NOTHING! I hope that the new DC, a man who has worked his way through the ranks, will honor those who have "paid there dues" with a competitive selection process. It seems like those who work hard and smart go no where, while those who are buddies go everywhere. I want to take the next sergeants exam, but with some of the poor leaders above me , will I get the mentoring one looks to be the best and succeed?

The rumors are already flying around the department for future movement. LT RM-Captain, Sgt HB-CID, Sgt BD-CIU. Why bother having a selection process at all ? The writing is on the wall. Anything to get Sgt BD off the road. Ever think about Sgt KM? She has the personality and skill set for CIU. And she is way senior than others. I am not here to pick on Sgt BD. She is a good person, and well suited as an SRO. But again, the assessors on the sergeant exam pick the best and they did, and they were the top 5. Another slap was to send a rookie sergeant to an assessment center. I guess all the other sergeants do not qualify... Right!

There are so many talented and dedicated officers in this department. I can only hope those who are supervisors on patrol or chosen for a specialized unit in the future are picked because they are the best person for the job based on qualifications, merit, past evaluations, and EXPERIENCE. And more importantly, they are set up for success, not micro managed and literally bullied and disrespected. This job is hard enough. And even tougher if your own Chief does not have your best interest at heart.

I am not on this sight to *****. I, like so many of us want only the best for OUR police department.

I have asked a lot of questions and hope someone will tell me the truth.

01-28-2013, 01:26 AM
Great post but unfortunately you will never get the answers that deserved to be answered. Change is coming just wait.

01-28-2013, 07:24 PM
ONE MORE VOTE

01-29-2013, 04:59 AM
ONE MORE VOTE

Seriously, this is so often repeated, what the **** does it mean? And then when nothing changes, what will you be repeating then? Does this VOTE know how intrical to the machinations of whatever is supposed to be going on really mean? or are you hoping for something without saying what you are hoping for, as you even doubt you will get this VOTE, let alone, if it will actually mean anything.

Just shut up and do your job.

02-03-2013, 02:57 AM
[/u]ote="Mr Attitude"]I have just read the "moving forward and bottom line" post. I have to say a lot in those posts are true and I too hope we can move forward and get our leadership act together.

I do not come on this site often because it seems to be filled personal attacks, not facts. I try to stay clear of the politics, but I have many questions and do wonder WHY many of the decisions made over the last three years were made. Maybe someone can honestly answer my questions.

Some of the people I am about to mention have taught me some great lessons when it comes to leadership, tactics, professionalism and most importantly, family first and getting home safe at the end of the day. Why, because they were given the gift of natural born leaders and when they speak, I listen. Clearly, it seems the Chief does not. Maybe because they are not "yes men " and yes, I have heard them speak their mind, with respect I might add.

One thing that sticks with me is that the few I am about to mention have clearly EARNED their status by virtue of hard work and dedication to their respective jobs, no matter what division or unit they have been attached to. They all have worked their share of holidays, weekends, and nights. Unlike those who have been recently promoted. Simply going from one specialty unit to the road for a few months then back to a specialty does not give that newly promoted person a chance to learn, team build or learn to make critical decisions in the heat of the moment and most importantly, gain the RESPECT and TRUST of their subordinates and peers. It is no fault of there own, they are good people, but have they earned their position?

We all saw right through the last sergeant's test and how good officers were passed up in order to get to Sgt BD. Thank God the Chief finally saw the light and at least promoted #1 and he seems to be a fine LT. But, the 1st five on the list would have made fine sergeants. Instead some skipped, WHY?

I have been here long enough to see some great officers and leaders in which I would follow anywhere; Lt JL, Sgt KC, Sgt CM, Lt DB, just to name a few, beat down, and demoralized. I have heard many rumors as to why, because none of them discuss what has happened to them with me. In a way, I admire that, because they have integrity. I have always been able to go to any of them and discuss issues with confidence they would lead me in the right direction. And they have never let me down.

But what I do not understand is why, for example, Sgt CM was moved from SET / SCU. His unit seemed to arrest bad guys daily and he always included patrol in there operations when possible and he always gave credit where credit was due. If it wasn't for him, many would not have the ribbons on your chest. For my own selfish reasons, I am glad he is back to patrol as he is one of the best road sergeants we have. He has always treated me and others with respect and exudes confidence for all of us to do our jobs tactfully, professionally and safely. He demands nothing but your best effort on every call for service. Why was he kicked off SWAT? I would go thru any door with him. I liked what Mr. Attitude said in his/her last post- Was the event a success? Seemed like all his operations got the bad guy. Anyway, sorry, I went off on a tangent, I just admire the man.

The last great training we did when he was in charge of training and SET / SCU. It was the best. Me along with all the officers I know said it was the best realistic training we had in a long time. He challenged us in so many demensions. So what happened? At least, why isn't he in Training? Officer C B and DE are fantastic too, but it is not fair to CB to take on that responsibility and not get paid for it. And if training was a higher priority around here, which it is not, a supervisor would be assigned to the TU to help the TU be the best it can be. Not just to put a Sgt in charge of the TU in name, who has no qualifications or interest to handle the reponsibilty. Again, that just shows where the priorities are.

Why was Lt DB was moved from CID ? He has dedicated his on duty and off duty time to this city and citizens I have learned a great deal from him throughout my career.

Why was the 1st five on the sergeant's list not promoted?

Why was Sgt KC removed from K-9? A great Sgt. who has dedicated his whole career to K-9. Why isn't he in charge of that unit?

These outstanding veteran officers have earned the privilege to serve in these high liability specialized units.

These veteran officers will retire within several years, opening up the window for movement through natural attrition.

But instead the Chief has promoted or moved inexperienced people who should still be on the road. Lets check there attitude after working the road as a supervisor for at least 5 years?? Sure the select rookie sergeant's and LT attitude is wonderful now with every weekend and holiday off and home every night with there families. They haven' had a chance to screw up, not that I wish for anyone to mess up, but you will learn from experience and mistakes.

I guess seniority means absolutely NOTHING! I hope that the new DC, a man who has worked his way through the ranks, will honor those who have "paid there dues" with a competitive selection process. It seems like those who work hard and smart go no where, while those who are buddies go everywhere. I want to take the next sergeants exam, but with some of the poor leaders above me , will I get the mentoring one looks to be the best and succeed?

The rumors are already flying around the department for future movement. LT RM-Captain, Sgt HB-CID, Sgt BD-CIU. Why bother having a selection process at all ? The writing is on the wall. Anything to get Sgt BD off the road. Ever think about Sgt KM? She has the personality and skill set for CIU. And she is way senior than others. I am not here to pick on Sgt BD. She is a good person, and well suited as an SRO. But again, the assessors on the sergeant exam pick the best and they did, and they were the top 5. Another slap was to send a rookie sergeant to an assessment center. I guess all the other sergeants do not qualify... Right!

There are so many talented and dedicated officers in this department. I can only hope those who are supervisors on patrol or chosen for a specialized unit in the future are picked because they are the best person for the job based on qualifications, merit, past evaluations, and EXPERIENCE. And more importantly, they are set up for success, not micro managed and literally bullied and disrespected. This job is hard enough. And even tougher if your own Chief does not have your best interest at heart.

I am not on this sight to *****. I, like so many of us want only the best for OUR police department.

I have asked a lot of questions and hope someone will tell me the truth.[/quote]

Nice try 'Nathan"

02-08-2013, 04:11 PM
Trash talking about certain supervisors is a sign of jealousy because you couldn't make the cut. You blame everyone else for not getting promoted instead of yourselves. The fact remains that if any of you cowards had the intestinal fortitude, you wouldn't hide behind a fictitious name and confront the person face to face. Most of you have severe self esteem issues and lack confidence, maybe because you were bullied or picked on. You think having a badge and a gun makes you somebody? Give me a break, most of you creek cops couldn't fight your way out of a wet paper bag.

02-08-2013, 04:19 PM
Trash talking about certain supervisors is a sign of jealousy because you couldn't make the cut. You blame everyone else for not getting promoted instead of yourselves. The fact remains that if any of you cowards had the intestinal fortitude, you wouldn't hide behind a fictitious name and confront the person face to face. Most of you have severe self esteem issues and lack confidence, maybe because you were bullied or picked on. You think having a badge and a gun makes you somebody? Give me a break, most of you creek cops couldn't fight your way out of a wet paper bag.

This post is here to annoy and get a response. Please don't give this person the satisfaction.