PDA

View Full Version : Sergeants Exam

09-17-2012, 05:33 PM
Can someone who's taken this exam give some insight? A friend of mine has failed a number of times. I'm not eligible to take it yet, but plan to when I can. He did nothing to prepare, so I'm guessing that's why he continues to fail.

09-17-2012, 07:21 PM
Don't worry it has nothing to do with experience or leadership. You just have study a book and memorize it. Passing the test makes you qualified to make decisions that only experienced cops should make. Should be a breeze for you!

09-17-2012, 07:22 PM
Can someone who's taken this exam give some insight? A friend of mine has failed a number of times. I'm not eligible to take it yet, but plan to when I can. He did nothing to prepare, so I'm guessing that's why he continues to fail.
Does he swallow or spit? He got clean knee pads to wear?

09-17-2012, 07:48 PM
Don't worry it has nothing to do with experience or leadership. You just have study a book and memorize it. Passing the test makes you qualified to make decisions that only experienced cops should make. Should be a breeze for you!

YOURE RIGHT ! LOOK AT PELFREY !

09-17-2012, 09:04 PM

Case in point: #1480

09-18-2012, 12:22 AM

Case in point: #1480

Aint that the truth!

09-18-2012, 09:35 PM
Lately the people taking the test were never good patrol deputies and spent very little time as a patrol deputy. They just read and study for the exam hoping one day they will make sgt. Problem is they make poor Sgt's and it shows! Test taking does not make you a leader and good cop !!!!

09-19-2012, 02:22 AM
Lately the people taking the test were never good patrol deputies and spent very little time as a patrol deputy. They just read and study for the exam hoping one day they will make sgt. Problem is they make poor Sgt's and it shows! Test taking does not make you a leader and good cop !!!!
This seems to be common practice agency wide! Comm employees who can pass a multiple choice test promoted to floor supervisor, but know nothing about dispatching or call taking! Some have taken the test upwards of 5 times! No leadership skills, no people skills required!
Desire for more cash, less responsibility, and large ego preferable!

09-19-2012, 03:08 PM
This seems to be common practice agency wide! Comm employees who can pass a multiple choice test promoted to floor supervisor, but know nothing about dispatching or call taking! Some have taken the test upwards of 5 times! No leadership skills, no people skills required!
Desire for more cash, less responsibility, and large ego preferable![/quote]

they should add a common sense test! certain ones never would have made it!

09-19-2012, 03:39 PM

I agree with your theory 100%, BUT...

These promotional theories (turds) have been floating around here for the last 30 years. Nothing is new, except for your "new" discovery of the old stinky turds. It's new to you because you're a rookie, but it's not new to SSO old timers. How do you think Wonder Boy (Kevin Kenney) got promoted? How do you think Steve Burns got promoted? They both had uncles in the business who pulled them up and "covered" their mistakes (criminal battery charges, etc...).

Here are the two things you need to know for promotional success inside the Sarasota Sheriff's Office, in this order:
#1: Find a high ranking uncle in the business. Worship him. Make him laugh. Lie to him and make him feel good about himself. Befriend him. He will ensure that you get promoted.
. [/*:m:lgzh9bab]
#2: Score high on the promotional "oral" board. Refer to #1 above on how to achieve this.[/*:m:lgzh9bab]

Getting promoted has nothing to do with being a good cop. Apples and oranges.