PDA

View Full Version : Sun-Sentinel investigation on speeding cops

02-12-2012, 03:22 PM
Cops among Florida's worst speeders, Sun Sentinel investigation finds

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/speeding-cops/fl-speeding-cops-20120211,0,3706919.story

Miami Police cop sped long before his high-profile traffic stop

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/speeding-cops/fl-fausto-lopez-speeding-cop-20120211,0,1362387.story

02-12-2012, 06:02 PM
Now I know why Elgin Jones has been able to break the last six or seven police scandals. It's because the Sun Sentinel has been using all of it's vast investigative resources for the past 3 months to break this incredible tale of police corruption and abuse of power. And to do it be violating people's right to privacy by obtaining people's personal sun pass information. I would like to know:
A) How are they allowed to obtain people's personal sun pass information with out warrants
B) Was everyone's sun pass information obtained or were they just specifically targeting cops and what was the average speed of the general public on the same stretch of roads.
C) What outside entity was used to verify the accuracy of the sun pass time stamps or the calculations used to figure out roads.
Once again Sum Sentinel way to break the police scandal of the century right out from Elgin Jones.

02-12-2012, 06:15 PM
Now I know why Elgin Jones has been able to break the last six or seven police scandals. It's because the Sun Sentinel has been using all of it's vast investigative resources for the past 3 months to break this incredible tale of police corruption and abuse of power. And to do it be violating people's right to privacy by obtaining people's personal sun pass information. I would like to know:
A) How are they allowed to obtain people's personal sun pass information with out warrants
B) Was everyone's sun pass information obtained or were they just specifically targeting cops and what was the average speed of the general public on the same stretch of roads.
C) What outside entity was used to verify the accuracy of the sun pass time stamps or the calculations used to figure out roads.
Once again Sum Sentinel way to break the police scandal of the century right out from Elgin Jones.

If the Sunpass was issued to the agency, whether it is a revenue or non-revenue transponder, it is public record. For the officers who were within their jurisdiction the entire time, I have to believe they were running lights and sirens to an emergency. The Sentinel apparently did not request records of calls for service regarding those vehicles at those times. Unfortunately for some LEO's they were obviously driving FROM their jurisdictions at incredibly high speeds. This is unacceptable and makes us all look bad.

02-12-2012, 06:34 PM
How can I get an agency sunpass? I'm the moron that pays for one out of my own pocket. Is it just a "special few" who get this surpass?

02-12-2012, 06:59 PM
How can I get an agency sunpass? I'm the moron that pays for one out of my own pocket. Is it just a "special few" who get this surpass?
I was told by a supervisor at turnpike office that leo's don't need surpass
On patrol vehicles. Been going through for years and never been questioned
About it.

02-12-2012, 09:35 PM
You might want to read your PP and read the emails from the Sheriff once in awhile. If in fact you are an employee at all. You are absolutely responsible. Unit #'s are sent with violations from the FTP to BSO. The Sheriff specifically addressed this last year.

As a frequent user of the turnpike I would have to agree with the SS. Dade Co. Is by far the worst with local PD's a close second. BSO units/FR in my experience have always driven within reasonable limits to maintain the flow of traffic. I'm not talking about 90+ but 5-10mph over the posted is within reason to maintain the flow of traffic around you on an interstate.

I can see it coming. EVERY marked unit all across the county doing exactly the posted speed and not a hair over. South Florida will look like the Daytona 500 on a yellow flag caution with us being the pace car.

02-12-2012, 09:45 PM
I have worked for BSO for 11-years, drive a marked unit and never had a Sun-pass. And why do I do this, because I know my rights. The Sheriff can put in a memo all he wants about toll usage. unless it's contractual a memo isn't worth the paper it's printed on. FACT. The Sheriff and his cronies love to make the rules and violate the law at their own convenience. 11 YEARS,NEVER PAID A TOLL AND NEVER WILL.

02-12-2012, 09:57 PM

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/speeding-cops/fl-speeding-cops-20120211,0,3706919.story

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/speeding-cops/fl-fausto-lopez-speeding-cop-20120211,0,1362387.story

Is Tropper Lopez going to cuffed her self and also be issued a reckless driving citation, Oh I forgot she nevers speeds Ha ha, :devil: Remember she stated she was tired of cops speeding.

02-12-2012, 11:38 PM

Is Tropper Lopez going to cuffed her self and also be issued a reckless driving citation, Oh I forgot she nevers speeds Ha ha, :devil: Remember she stated she was tired of cops speeding.

It wasn't Trooper Lopez...it was officer Lopez that was arrested by Trooper Watts...Way to pay attention....hope your not an investigator.

02-13-2012, 04:08 PM
wow!!!this a quote from the citizens comments on the SS story. if this is true it could be very bad and maybe someone does need to re-examin the case.

"i sure hope you include the wreck the now bso deerfield beach chief was involved in when he was a deputy. he was supposedly "following" a suspect when the suspect lost control and killed a pedestrian. the then deputy, now chief, claimed he did not have his emergency lights or siren on and was merely following the suspect. there were reportedly several witnesses to the contrary who said he DID have his lights and sirens on and was chasing the other vehicle (which would have been a violation of sheriffs office policy). did he lie to investigators to cover his violation and escape a charge of culpable negligence? did his wife, who also works at the bso as an attorney get him out of it?"

02-13-2012, 08:16 PM
Of course the real question is 'What time did the individual officers go 10-7' and were they supposed to be at a toll booth or still patrolling their respective zones?

Public records request for dailies is next..

02-13-2012, 08:32 PM

I'm sure somehow this is all Al's fault as well. It couldn't be the that the integrity of the entire profession is going down hill and that today's professional has no respect for anything....especially the law that he is sworn to uphold. Yet, we get on here and ***** about every decision made by command, good or bad.

I remember for a solid month, the only comments on here were about whether we could get tinted windows. In the grand scheme of things...seems like a pretty stupid argument in light of recent articles about law enforcement's take home cars.

Keep acting the way your acting in the public's eyes and see if we don't lose a lot more then take homes.

02-13-2012, 09:52 PM
Thanks Sun-Sentinel for exposing these egregious crimes! I find it strange that you failed to mention there were 15,665 traffic fatalities from 2005-2009 in Florida. So your huge headline story makes up much less than 1% of fatalities.

Obviously the law enforcement community would prefer it to be zero but we don't live in a perfect world.

02-14-2012, 02:38 PM
Since the day after this story broke, everyday to/from I have not gone 1mph over. The public wants it they get it. Leaving 5-10 minutes earlier is worth the price of admission. Hey just doing my part :snicker:

02-14-2012, 06:23 PM
I agree!!! I drove 65 mph in the left lane like a senior citizen. People were flying by me!! I just smiled :devil:

02-14-2012, 09:17 PM
Since the day after this story broke, everyday to/from I have not gone 1mph over. The public wants it they get it. Leaving 5-10 minutes earlier is worth the price of admission. Hey just doing my part

I did the same and had a parade of vehicles behind me for miles. All scared to pass the marked unit.
Some pissed off citizens this morning :)

02-14-2012, 11:10 PM
Since the day after this story broke, everyday to/from I have not gone 1mph over. The public wants it they get it. Leaving 5-10 minutes earlier is worth the price of admission. Hey just doing my part

I did the same and had a parade of vehicles behind me for miles. All scared to pass the marked unit.
Some pissed off citizens this morning :)

Ah you guys really know how to prove your stupidity. Good luck with that!

02-14-2012, 11:19 PM
How come all BSO marked units don't have have transponders? Miami Dade has over 1500 issued to those that drive marked units. I guess a 10-8 agency takes care of it's people.

02-15-2012, 12:13 AM
How come all BSO marked units don't have have transponders? Miami Dade has over 1500 issued to those that drive marked units. I guess a 10-8 agency takes care of it's people.

No dash cams either!

02-15-2012, 01:57 AM
"Transponders???....Where we're going we don't need ...Transponders"

02-15-2012, 08:37 AM
Why don't you BSO guys grow up. Your driving a MARKED patrol vehicle for god sake. You have a billboard on the side of your car that reads Broward Sheriff. You are suppose to set an example to the community. I for one am tired of pulling cars over and listening to the people whine about how fast the Sheriffs Office drives. Hey if it's not your emergency then why speed to it and possibly kill someone? This is the stupid crap that gives us all a bad rap. To all the haters out there just remember once it's done, it's done. You crash into someone now a days and you are screwed, kill them and your super screwed. It's not only your life but my life and all of our families who drive on the roads....

02-15-2012, 09:58 AM
First it was everyone had video cameras and we were told no more tune ups. When the GPS went in my car and I had a captain asking why I was sitting at a certain area for more than 45 minutes I resigned shortly thereafter. Im not sure what to call it but I know its not police work anymore and Im glad Im retired. Maybe Im a dinosaur who needed to go but how the job is done now is nothing like how it was done 30 years ago. Good luck guys with public sentiment making policies.

02-15-2012, 01:52 PM
From PSL or PB? I agree with what was said about spot on mph. I'm coming from out west and ppl aren't passing me. Are you in your pov with a pba tag? :shock:

I agree!!! I drove 65 mph in the left lane like a senior citizen. People were flying by me!! I just smiled :devil:

02-15-2012, 01:58 PM
very interesting

wow!!!this a quote from the citizens comments on the SS story. if this is true it could be very bad and maybe someone does need to re-examin the case.

"i sure hope you include the wreck the now bso deerfield beach chief was involved in when he was a deputy. he was supposedly "following" a suspect when the suspect lost control and killed a pedestrian. the then deputy, now chief, claimed he did not have his emergency lights or siren on and was merely following the suspect. there were reportedly several witnesses to the contrary who said he DID have his lights and sirens on and was chasing the other vehicle (which would have been a violation of sheriffs office policy). did he lie to investigators to cover his violation and escape a charge of culpable negligence? did his wife, who also works at the bso as an attorney get him out of it?"

02-15-2012, 10:38 PM
The toll plaza sun pass cameras are not Synchronized; therefore, the speeds are off.

THE STUDY WAS FLAWED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

02-16-2012, 12:22 AM
The toll plaza sun pass cameras are not Synchronized; therefore, the speeds are off.

flsucks

It's not the camera's that reads the time. It is the sensor that time stamps exactly when your signal from the transponder was recieved and that is dead on.

02-16-2012, 01:03 AM
the graphic for the story says bso has 65 transponders and there were 96 instances where the cars were driven over 90 mph. who has these transponders? i thought the agency didnt issue them. oh no,say it aint so, could it be someone in the upper admin? :oops:

02-16-2012, 01:51 AM
I'm just guessing but the transponders probably belong to Shift Commanders, SWAT, K9 and the like

02-16-2012, 02:18 AM
could it be someone in the upper admin? :oops:

of course it is. The hypocrisy here is non stop. Do you think Lou would pay tolls from Boca?

02-16-2012, 04:33 PM

Hate to give you the bad news...they weren't using the cameras to do the investigation. They pulled the records of the transponders issued to each agency (not personally owned, as they are not subject to the same Public Records laws) and looked at the time the transponder activated when enetring the toll plaza and when they exited the final destination toll plaza. By measuring the distance between the two and employing the simple formula S= D/T, ( S=Speed, D= Distance, T= Time) they were able to calculate the number.

Moral to the story
#1. Don't speed more than what would be acceptable to you by citizens you issue traffic tix to,
#2. Return your dept issued transponder and pay your own tolls...it's a tax write off anyways and not subject to records requests,
#3. Don't buy the SS

02-16-2012, 05:43 PM
I tried it today also, 65 mph on I95. I had traffic behind me for at least a quarter of a mile (10:30 am) after leaving court. I could not stop laughing. I LOVE this job (FTP)

02-16-2012, 06:06 PM
Finally something we all agree on. FTP. Green wall!!!! Let's all do 65 or whatever the limit is on the road you are on and when a car flies past us 10-50 it and tell them to send a thanks to Scum sentinel!

02-16-2012, 10:56 PM
I think I figured out why most of the violators were FHP & The City of Miami. I think it was FHP chasing the City of Miami for speeding trying to make more arrests on LEO'S..

02-17-2012, 12:52 AM
I think I figured out why most of the violators were FHP & The City of Miami. I think it was FHP chasing the City of Miami for speeding trying to make more arrests on LEO'S..

LOL, That is some funny zhiiit. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

02-17-2012, 01:42 AM
I tried it today also, 65 mph on I95. I had traffic behind me for at least a quarter of a mile (10:30 am) after leaving court. I could not stop laughing. I LOVE this job (FTP)
Obviously, you're one of the morons who constantly speeds or you would not be commenting about how traffic stays behind you. those of us who travel the limit have known this for years. Thanks for giving us all a black eye you idiot!!!!!

02-17-2012, 06:21 AM
Sorry Jacka$$, I am a far cry from a speeder just sticking with my brothers. FTP, If they want to stick it to us for going over the speed limit then I will do the LIMIT.

I feel sorry for the first person that drives pass me. Can you spell (UTC) BABY!!!!

Black eye, you are kidding me right. I guess you don't read the papers much you douche bag!!!

02-17-2012, 02:57 PM
Sorry Jacka$$, I am a far cry from a speeder just sticking with my brothers. FTP, If they want to stick it to us for going over the speed limit then I will do the LIMIT.

I feel sorry for the first person that drives pass me. Can you spell (UTC) BABY!!!!

Black eye, you are kidding me right. I guess you don't read the papers much you douche bag!!!

im going to try it today! I only wish my unit had cruise control!! Im going to do 63 MPH and grab the first speeder I see!!! Best part is 3 Hrs OT for traffic court!!! Power of the PEN!! (Just make sure its blue)

02-19-2012, 05:40 PM
Report this postReply with quoteRe: Sun-Sentinel investigation on speeding cops
by Come Get Me » 02/12/12 16:45:15

I have worked for BSO for 11-years, drive a marked unit and never had a Sun-pass. And why do I do this, because I know my rights. The Sheriff can put in a memo all he wants about toll usage. unless it's contractual a memo isn't worth the paper it's printed on. FACT. The Sheriff and his cronies love to make the rules and violate the law at their own convenience. 11 YEARS,NEVER PAID A TOLL AND NEVER WILL.Come Get Me

Wow. This shows the mentality that I and my fellow taxpayers deal with everyday. BSO stands for Basically Stupid Oafs!! I watched two marked units leave the station in Pompano and head north on Cypress. One makes the first light, the other gets caught. Second Oaf flips on his lights, blows through, and then gets back on the bumper of his buddy. On a whim, we followed as they were not speeding. All the way to the one Oaf's residence in North Pompano where they parked and hung out.
Our neighborhood has had to arm itself, even though we are adjacent to the Donut Shop on 3rd street because response time can be timed with an hourglass. Severtal times I have had to face a responding OAF and force them to do their job as mandated by law. Protect us. I give them an ultimatum--you do it or I do. Period.
And we pay you idots for this????

02-21-2012, 02:47 AM

I have worked for BSO for 11-years, drive a marked unit and never had a Sun-pass. And why do I do this, because I know my rights. The Sheriff can put in a memo all he wants about toll usage. unless it's contractual a memo isn't worth the paper it's printed on. FACT. The Sheriff and his cronies love to make the rules and violate the law at their own convenience. 11 YEARS,NEVER PAID A TOLL AND NEVER WILL.Come Get Me

Wow. This shows the mentality that I and my fellow taxpayers deal with everyday. BSO stands for Basically Stupid Oafs!! I watched two marked units leave the station in Pompano and head north on Cypress. One makes the first light, the other gets caught. Second Oaf flips on his lights, blows through, and then gets back on the bumper of his buddy. On a whim, we followed as they were not speeding. All the way to the one Oaf's residence in North Pompano where they parked and hung out.
Our neighborhood has had to arm itself, even though we are adjacent to the Donut Shop on 3rd street because response time can be timed with an hourglass. Severtal times I have had to face a responding OAF and force them to do their job as mandated by law. Protect us. I give them an ultimatum--you do it or I do. Period.

you sir, um watch too much reality TV...but by all means go ahead and do it. you dont have the guts to do so. stay behind your desk or keyboard or what ever it is you do. Ill leave with just saying. why? thats, right because we can ...smile....

02-21-2012, 02:16 PM

If you had the hair on your balls or on your wife's balls you could do this job too. I hear McDonlads is hiring, no experience necessary

03-07-2012, 11:16 PM
You are allowed to get your own transponder per the state. Just go to the office at glades road turnpike exit with your marked unit. It will cost you $25 for it and gives u unlimited tolls with your marked unit.

03-08-2012, 12:19 AM
You are allowed to get your own transponder per the state. Just go to the office at glades road turnpike exit with your marked unit. It will cost you $25 for it and gives u unlimited tolls with your marked unit.

Does that cover the mattress on top of your unit? :lol:

03-08-2012, 02:58 AM

Does that cover the mattress on top of your unit? :lol:

That mattress was for safety in case of a vehicle roll over. :cop:

03-08-2012, 03:04 AM
What about unmarked ...SWAT?

03-08-2012, 07:03 PM
Not sure about unmarked. Bring the vehicle there with registration to prove its a police vehicle.

03-08-2012, 08:17 PM
Just go online to your sunpass account you have for your personal vehicle and add your marked or unmarked unit as a Law Enforcement vehicle and you are covered. It does not coast you a dime and if there is ever a need to rebut usage on a toll road you have added your police car and it is incumbent on Florida DOT to properly charge it against your personal account. I've done this for the past 3 years and have never been charged a dime and I've never had a problem with BSO on why I didn't pay a toll. Problem solved without any hassle and you don't even have to leave the house or the safety of wearing your jockey brands while sitting behind your keyboard. Which for most on here is a scary thought!