PDA

View Full Version : carrying a concealed firearm

01-11-2012, 11:41 PM
what is the requirement to carry a concealed weapon while working for DOC. I have heard I can get a permit that is only good while working for DOC. How do I get it

01-11-2012, 11:48 PM
I am sure someone can answer this better than me but the ? has some merit. Policy prevents you from carrying concealed on duty but FL. Statue allows for Concealed Carry by Leo/Cpo/CO without a concealed weapons permit. However, to this day even though I carry for DC as a CPO I have for 15 years recommended that you have a CWP also. In many respects you have more protection as a fl. citizen than as an employee of fl.

01-12-2012, 12:44 AM
Yea, I know nobody carries on duty but I have heard as an employee I can carry when not at work

01-12-2012, 01:21 AM
A DOC firearms cards only covers you while on duty. While off duty the department will not back you. There are state and federal statues that say we can carry off duty, but to play it safe I would recommend getting a concealed weapons permit.

01-12-2012, 02:52 AM
A DOC firearms cards only covers you while on duty. While off duty the department will not back you. There are state and federal statues that say we can carry off duty, but to play it safe I would recommend getting a concealed weapons permit.

I agree. Just be safe and get a concealed weapons permit and then nobody can question you!

01-12-2012, 03:09 AM
From F.S. 790.06

(5)?The applicant shall submit to the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services:
(a)?A completed application as described in subsection (4).
(b)?A nonrefundable license fee not to exceed $85, if he or she has not previously been issued a statewide license, or a nonrefundable license fee not to exceed $70 for renewal of a statewide license. Costs for processing the set of fingerprints as required in paragraph (c) shall be borne by the applicant. However, an individual holding an active certification from the Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission as a “law enforcement officer,” “correctional officer,” or “correctional probation officer” as defined in s. 943.10(1), (2), (3), (6), (7), (8), or (9) is exempt from the licensing requirements of this section. If any individual holding an active certification from the Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission as a “law enforcement officer,” a “correctional officer,” or a “correctional probation officer” as defined in s. 943.10(1), (2), (3), (6), (7), (8), or (9) wishes to receive a concealed weapons or firearms license, such person is exempt from the background investigation and all background investigation fees, but shall pay the current license fees regularly required to be paid by nonexempt applicants. Further, a law enforcement officer, a correctional officer, or a correctional probation officer as defined in s. 943.10(1), (2), or (3) is exempt from the required fees and background investigation for a period of 1 year subsequent to the date of retirement of said officer as a law enforcement officer, a correctional officer, or a correctional probation officer.

I'd say this is pretty clear for anyone who isn't a jail house lawyer. CPO's DO NOT need a concealed permit to carry CONCEALED while off duty !

01-12-2012, 08:38 PM
You have more rights as a citizen of florida than as a state leo/co/cpo. Get a CWP and sleep easier. Rely on your employment/certification in the state of florida....Let the Buyer Beware!

01-13-2012, 03:55 AM
the statute is
790.052?Carrying concealed firearms; off-duty law enforcement officers.—
(1)?All persons holding active certifications from the Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission as law enforcement officers or correctional officers as defined in s. 943.10(1), (2), (6), (7), (8), or (9) shall have the right to carry, on or about their persons, concealed firearms, during off-duty hours, at the discretion of their superior officers, and may perform those law enforcement functions that they normally perform during duty hours, utilizing their weapons in a manner which is reasonably expected of on-duty officers in similar situations. However, nothing in this subsection shall be construed to limit the right of a law enforcement officer, correctional officer, or correctional probation officer to carry a concealed firearm off duty as a private citizen under the exemption provided in s. 790.06 that allows a law enforcement officer, correctional officer, or correctional probation officer as defined in s. 943.10(1), (2), (3), (6), (7), (8), or (9) to carry a concealed firearm without a concealed weapon or firearm license. The appointing or employing agency or department of an officer carrying a concealed firearm as a private citizen under s. 790.06 shall not be liable for the use of the firearm in such capacity. Nothing herein limits the authority of the appointing or employing agency or department from establishing policies limiting law enforcement officers or correctional officers from carrying concealed firearms during off-duty hours in their capacity as appointees or employees of the agency or department.
(2)?The superior officer of any police department or sheriff’s office or the Florida Highway Patrol, if he or she elects to direct the officers under his or her supervision to carry concealed firearms while off duty, shall file a statement with the governing body of such department of his or her instructions and requirements relating to the carrying of said firearms.
History.—ss. 1, 2, 3, ch. 72-84; s. 235, ch. 77-104; s. 23, ch. 79-8; s. 3, ch. 88-183; s. 4, ch. 95-318; s. 1204, ch. 97-102.

What I found amusing back in the day before CPO's could carry on duty, was it was legal to carry off duty by virtue of my CPO certification but I could be fired for carrying on duty!!!

That being said EVERYONE knows what a CCW license is very few the statute on CPO being immune from FS 790.052. So go get one.