PDA

View Full Version : FHP Trooper Watts Cleared

01-07-2012, 05:14 AM
By Sally Kestin, Sun Sentinel

1:58 p.m. EST, January 4, 2012
The state trooper who stopped a Miami cop for driving more than 120 mph in October did not violate any policies in pulling the officer over, drawing her gun or handcuffing him, an internal review by the Florida Highway Patrol has concluded.

Trooper Jane Watts "used her judgment and discretion afforded to her as a Florida state trooper'' in stopping Officer Fausto Lopez on Oct. 11 well outside his jurisdiction, said the report released Wednesday by the FHP's inspector general. "Watts used this same judgment pointing her firearm in the direction of Lopez, handcuffing him, and charging him with reckless driving.''

The trooper did disobey an order from a supervisor, Sgt. Reynaldo Sanchez, to "back off'' during the pursuit on Florida's Turnpike in Broward County, the review concluded. Sanchez said in a statement to the inspector general that he gave the order because the patrol car "could have been responding to a call.''

Watts said in her statement that she thought Sanchez meant for her to slow down, which she did. She turned off her emergency lights and then reactivated them after catching up to Lopez. Rather than pull over, Watts said the officer accelerated.

"She believed he was intentionally not stopping for her,'' the report says. "The driver was driving recklessly. She thought that possibly the police vehicle could have been stolen.''

No action will be taken against Watts, said Capt. Mark Brown, an FHP spokesman.

"There's no discipline that will be coming out of it,'' he said. "There may be some things we can do better, but that will be handled through coaching and counseling.''

The traffic stop, videotaped on Watts' in-car camera, made national news and started a feud between Miami police and FHP on law enforcement blogs.

The internal review provides new details of the incident that began at 6:28 a.m. in the southbound lanes of the turnpike around Commercial Boulevard.

Watts, traveling 78 mph, was passed by Lopez at "a high rate of speed'' and began following him. The trooper's camera malfunctioned a short time later and stopped recording her speed. When she got the order to back off, she said she was going more than 120 mph trying to catch up to him.

Lopez pulled over around Hollywood Boulevard. From the time the trooper first saw him until then, he had gone 12.5 miles in 7 minutes and 17 seconds, according to the report. That would make his average speed 103 mph.

Watts told investigators she handcuffed Lopez "because he was fleeing me, and he was in my mind at that time, I was seriously thinking he's going to jail for fleeing to elude.''

But FHP Major Joseph Saucedo gave an order not to arrest Lopez, who instead was given a notice to appear in court on the reckless driving charge. Another supervisor called Watts on the scene and told her to remove the handcuffs.

As she walked Lopez back to his car, he "asked her if this was the best that she could do,'' Watts told investigators. "He asked her about professional courtesy, and she stated to him that this was not a case of professional courtesy.''

Asked if she would do anything differently in hindsight, Watts told investigators, "No.''

Lopez has pleaded not guilty to reckless driving. Neither he nor his attorney could be reached Wednesday.

01-07-2012, 09:27 AM
This has been brought up before,but keep this in mind . "Hillbilly Hanna" aka trooper Watts , lost sight of our guy for quite sometime (watch the video) so much time that it could have been another police car ? So then, she must have done 120 + :roll: to be able to catch up to him,thats if he was actually going 120 ? :lol: But all that nonsense about it being a stolen police car,could have easily been handled via the radio to her HQ, and then through our complaint room, checking the vehicle number ,and contacting the officer, if it was a 22 etc. Bottom line ,when she got him stopped, then saw him in uniform did she really think that the car was stolen ? Or was it because of her feeble brained backwoods mentality, and the fact that "he was speeding on her highway" , or she was having cramps, or she uses VERY POOR judgement ! Pathetic,to say the least. All her excuses just don't add up, and then her brass backs the bimbo up ! Hey trooper Watts,wanna wear a uniform ? Then go to Burger King , cause thats the type of job you need, with your ignorant moronic way of thinking :roll: Definitely more your speed Janey :oops:

02-01-2012, 11:09 PM
I guess fhp gives troopers the ok to be insubordinate and drive 120mph with no lights n sirens to chase a cop car going "120" cough bullshyt cough cough

02-02-2012, 01:13 AM
we see you thomas vokaty :cop:

02-02-2012, 02:49 AM
I guess fhp gives troopers the ok to be insubordinate and drive 120mph with no lights n sirens to chase a cop car going "120" cough bullshyt cough cough
what does that say about miami pd? guess they give ofcrs the ok to disrespect the laws and drive over 120 and reckless with no lights n sirens wayyyyyy out of your agency limits... no cough just plain bulshnit

02-03-2012, 12:01 AM
I'm very disappointed about the clearing of trooper Watts. The FHP really showed their lack of properly managing the agency, that not only puts the troopers at risk but also the general public. The FHP send a clear msg to all the SO and PD's that is, we don't care about you folks we are the FHP and we do what we want. So my question for you all MPD officers is will you guys play with the same rules?, have no mercy with the troopers in your city if you guys see a trooper doing a traffic stop on city property send them packing you guys need to stand up for yourselves and show them who is boss in the city. I'm a police officer in the northeast and we never see the state police making traffic stops on city streets they know better, this only creates an officer safety issue since we are on different frequencies. Also you see a marked FHP cruiser disobeying a traffic law then stop and cite them as well. The MPD brass needs to play by the same rules as FHP or else FHP will be telling them what to do next. GROW BALLS MPD BRASS.

02-03-2012, 01:27 AM
I'm very disappointed about the clearing of trooper Watts. The FHP really showed their lack of properly managing the agency, that not only puts the troopers at risk but also the general public. The FHP send a clear msg to all the SO and PD's that is, we don't care about you folks we are the FHP and we do what we want. So my question for you all MPD officers is will you guys play with the same rules?, have no mercy with the troopers in your city if you guys see a trooper doing a traffic stop on city property send them packing you guys need to stand up for yourselves and show them who is boss in the city. I'm a police officer in the northeast and we never see the state police making traffic stops on city streets they know better, this only creates an officer safety issue since we are on different frequencies. Also you see a marked FHP cruiser disobeying a traffic law then stop and cite them as well. The MPD brass needs to play by the same rules as FHP or else FHP will be telling them what to do next. GROW BALLS MPD BRASS.

You see in the N E you guys only do police work in your patrol zone. If it is across a line on a map, you keep on going and do nothing . We do not give a rat's anus who puts the dirt bags away as long as they go AWAY. And to be honest, traffic is an after thought. Unless you ride a motor then it's your life. We like to put felons in jail. In the past we did as you suggest, all it did was, cops writing cops tickets. Watts and troopers like her are not the norm. But you need to go away and let us handle our business. Go write a trooper a ticket up there, anywhere, just go away. I am sure the troopers up there act in kind, write yourselves to death. But go away. But have a wonderful Friday.

03-14-2012, 01:39 AM
Fausto
Dont take a plea and let them win. take the sob to court you will win!! hang in there:) :D :D

03-15-2012, 02:10 PM

Lopez IS GUILTY AND ****ED UP BY DRIVING RECKLESSLY IN OUR HIGHWAYS. THANKS TO TROOPER WATTS MY FAMILY IS NOW SAFE FROM THIS IDIOT THAT FAILED TO OBEY THE LAW. AND I AM NOT A TROOPER BUT A CITY OF MIAMI COP. :evil:

03-15-2012, 02:48 PM
[quote="Myron Gaines":2ay88vs7]I guess fhp gives troopers the ok to be insubordinate and drive 120mph with no lights n sirens to chase a cop car going "120" cough bullshyt cough cough

Lopez IS GUILTY AND ****ED UP BY DRIVING RECKLESSLY IN OUR HIGHWAYS. THANKS TO TROOPER WATTS MY FAMILY IS NOW SAFE FROM THIS IDIOT THAT FAILED TO OBEY THE LAW. AND I AM NOT A TROOPER BUT A CITY OF MIAMI COP. :evil:[/quote:2ay88vs7]

bullshit and go fvck yourself

03-16-2012, 01:24 AM
[quote="Myron Gaines":36ikx4bo]I guess fhp gives troopers the ok to be insubordinate and drive 120mph with no lights n sirens to chase a cop car going "120" cough bullshyt cough cough

Lopez IS GUILTY AND ****ED UP BY DRIVING RECKLESSLY IN OUR HIGHWAYS. THANKS TO TROOPER WATTS MY FAMILY IS NOW SAFE FROM THIS IDIOT THAT FAILED TO OBEY THE LAW. AND I AM NOT A TROOPER BUT A CITY OF MIAMI COP. :evil:[/quote:36ikx4bo]

I believe it when you say that you're a Miami Cop! You cannot correctly write English!

By the way, your sentance syntax is totally off the charts. You cannot possibly drive "in" the highway, but rather, "on", the highway!

Here end of the lesson.

Oh, and no, I'm not a Trooper!

03-16-2012, 02:03 AM
[quote="Myron Gaines":2h3nth75]I guess fhp gives troopers the ok to be insubordinate and drive 120mph with no lights n sirens to chase a cop car going "120" cough bullshyt cough cough

Lopez IS GUILTY AND ****ED UP BY DRIVING RECKLESSLY IN OUR HIGHWAYS. THANKS TO TROOPER WATTS MY FAMILY IS NOW SAFE FROM THIS IDIOT THAT FAILED TO OBEY THE LAW. AND I AM NOT A TROOPER BUT A CITY OF MIAMI COP. :evil:

I believe it when you say that you're a Miami Cop! You cannot correctly write English!

By the way, your sentance syntax is totally off the charts. You cannot possibly drive "in" the highway, but rather, "on", the highway!

Here end of the lesson.

Oh, and no, I'm not a Trooper![/quote:2h3nth75]
" sentance?" shitbrain you are. Stop kissing your cousin stupid.

03-16-2012, 12:29 PM
I am a city Cop and totally embarrassed by Lopez's actions. He is a immature fool the Chief should fire him. Quit blaming the Trooper. If he wasn't so reckless with OTHER peoples lives this would not have been an issue.

03-20-2012, 02:04 PM
I am a city Cop and totally embarrassed by Lopez's actions. He is a immature fool the Chief should fire him. Quit blaming the Trooper. If he wasn't so reckless with OTHER peoples lives this would not have been an issue.

Exactly.

03-20-2012, 05:00 PM
Now that Lopez has accepted a plea deal, will MO fire him or not? Will, MO expose the City of Miami to future Negligent Retention law suits?

03-20-2012, 05:05 PM
Now that Lopez has accepted a plea deal, will MO fire him or not? Will, MO expose the City of Miami to future Negligent Retention law suits?

Speeding Miami officer in cop vs. cop case takes plea deal

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/03/20/2 ... rylink=cpy (http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/03/20/2703865/speeding-miami-officer-in-cop.html#storylink=cpy)

03-20-2012, 06:10 PM
he was silly for taking a plea.. yeah i wonder if they will now fire him because by taking a plea he admitted to watts version of what happened. now he will be a liabilty to the city of miami taking the plea is the same as pleading guilty no matter how you spin it.

03-20-2012, 11:20 PM
He would have won the case. Why the plea?

03-21-2012, 01:55 AM
I think he did good, taking the plea deal and getting over it already, only thing that sucks is the $3,500.00 fine he has to pay. He is going to have to work alot of off duties at that place he works with all the "High end People".

03-21-2012, 03:05 AM
He should have gone to trial, i don't know what his lawyer told him but he will not be able to write a speeding ticket again, he will be impeached and made to look like a fool. For all intended purposes he plead "GUILTY" so the lawyers are going to have a Field day in court. He is either a coward or he got the wrong advice.

03-21-2012, 05:54 AM
He should have gone to trial, i don't know what his lawyer told him but he will not be able to write a speeding ticket again, he will be impeached and made to look like a fool. For all intended purposes he plead "GUILTY" so the lawyers are going to have a Field day in court. He is either a coward or he got the wrong advice.
Maybe youre just stupid

03-21-2012, 11:15 AM
or maybe he messed up and now has to grow up and take it like a man. if he is able to keep his job. property room is in his future.

03-21-2012, 11:34 AM
you are exactly correct.......because all lawyers pull your ia jacket before a case goes to trial to see what they can find out about the arresting officer...

03-21-2012, 11:41 AM
or maybe he messed up and now has to grow up and take it like a man. if he is able to keep his job. property room is in his future.
so does he keep his police salary and now gets a monday through friday job?

03-21-2012, 01:16 PM
you are exactly correct.......because all lawyers pull your ia jacket before a case goes to trial to see what they can find out about the arresting officer...

Any time he gives a depo, goes to court or appears in any legal procedure he will spend all his time defending himself. He is done as a PO. Maybe he is going to resign.

03-21-2012, 03:17 PM
I really think he is wrong if he takes the deal. He needs to fight it and win! I believe that his career depends on it. Plus it would shut up all these idiots who think that Watts is right.

03-21-2012, 04:03 PM
I'm with a big department in central Florida, but I've been watching this case since it first hit the news. I'm not going to judge Lopez because he's the one who has to live with this situation. I think he did something foolish, and because he's a cop, he's paying a much higher price than the average citizen would pay. Yeah, we're held to a higher standard, but I think this is overkill on the part of the prosecutor. It was a freaking misdemeanor traffic offense! Yet the prosecutor threatens to double charge him, and go for jail time if he doesn't accept the plea? That amounts to extortion. Everyone has a right to a trial...except cops? That's BS! It's a real shame that he took the plea, because he could have beaten the charge in court. Juries historically don't like to convict cops. That along with the turmoil over the stop could have turned things in his favor. I've seen citizens beat tickets with far less problems in their cases. Even if he didn't beat the case, it's a traffic misdemeanor! According to Florida standards, he wouldn't lose his job over the conviction. I would hate to see anyone who has taken on this profession, risking their life everyday for their community, lose that over something this petty. So I hope he's learned something of value, and I wish him luck.

As for Trooper Watts, I really don't know what to think of her actions. Watching the video, she gives the impression of being unbalanced. She's obviously upset when she gets out of her patrol unit. She's screaming at Lopez, calling him a criminal, refusing to listen to anything he's trying to say. To call another officer a criminal over something like this is unacceptible! What cop in their right mind would have believed she was actually trying to pull him over? He was in uniform, in a marked patrol unit, for crying out loud! And to take him out of the car at gunpoint, well, she needs a fitness for duty evaluation if this is how she deals with other cops. There's something wrong with her thinking, and she's dangerous. She's very lucky that Lopez wasn't a more experienced officer. Otherwise, she might have gotten that gun shoved up her arse. And there wouldn't have been any handcuffing going on.

I'm not suggesting that she should have turned a blind eye to Lopez's driving. Only she can make that call. What I am suggesting is that she handled the entire situation all wrong. She disobeyed an order to back off. That is insubordination, and should be addressed by her supervision. If he really was driving recklessly, then so was she in order to catch up with him. That should also be addressed by her agency. And her entire demeanor toward him was disrespectful, rude, and unprofessional. Wherein he was respectful toward her the whole time, she treated him like a piece of garbage. For one officer to do that to another officer just shows she's a loose cannon. If she did that to him, how does she treat the general public...and all over a stupid traffic misdemeanor?! She's unfit to wear the uniform. I hope she doesn't get transferred to my area. We get along great with our troopers.