PDA

View Full Version : British guy, looking into US police.

Madgod
12-30-2011, 10:34 PM
I am an 18 year old student currently in the UK and i am interested in the Police force but well, with the cut backs here they are not hiring atleast until late 2013. Anyway, i have always been interested in the US and my cousin's cousin has came back from the US for football. He says it is amazing an so much better than the UK, furthering my interest in moving to the US one day.

Anyway, what is the training like? The health checks? I tried to join the Royal Marines but got deferred because of a heart murmur, my doctor however suggests i am fit, healthy and should of got in. The health test was testing the joints, heart screenings, urine test and along with physical tests suchs as a 1 and half mile run in 8 minutes, 10 or more pull-ups, communication exercises (talking with other hopefulls on how to do tasks before another group) and carrying jerry-cans from one side of a room to the other side with both cans full of water. This was pre-selection by the way.

Is the New York Police Department similair to do this or bit more relaxed on the tests? i read on the New York website and there is no mention of health checks apart from personality tests and morals which i think it is along with a course which must be done under a time limit which includes holding a gun or jumping over somthing. Correct me if i am wrong.