PDA

View Full Version : Preserving the Integrity of MPD

11-05-2011, 01:49 PM
This morning I was taken aback by an article in the Herald that spoke volumes of either the lack of police knowledge by Interim Chief Manuel Orosa or, even worst, how Chief Orosa has relinquished control of the Miami Police Department to politicians and civilian administrators whose knowledge of police work derives from watching "Miami CSI" and "the Wire".

The article in the newspaper brings home the point that a police department cannot be dismantled as Chief Orosa has begun to do and has plans to continue to do at MPD. Chief Exposito and the chiefs before him created proactive community policing units such as TOS, TRU, PST's, etcetera, which are responsible for keeping violent crime in check. Exposito went even one step beyond his predecesors by expanding the hours of those units, realizing that crime does not stop at 5 pm or on Friday afternoon. Chief Orosa proposes to cut down the PST units from nine of them to three. The Tactical Robbery Unit, responsible for bringing robberies down to levels not seen in almost half a century has been trimmed considerably. The investigative units are also a skeleton of what they were.

I will quote from the newspaper article, and you be the judge if the Miami Police Department under Orosa isn't doing exactly what the Miami-Dade Police Department is trying to avoid:

'Had the layoffs gone through, Miami-Dade Police Director Jim Loftus might have faced disbanding certain community policing units, plus demoting some lieutenants and sergeants.

He praised the deal on Friday.

“It preserves the overall integrity of the police department,” said Loftus, who is popular among the rank-and-file. “It lets us field the most complete team possible.” '

directing my comments to Interim Chief Orosa, as you can see from The comments by Director Loftus, a leader strives to preserve the integrity of a police agency. They don't succumb to the pressures of politicians for personal gain. I want to emphasize that leadership includes doing what is necessary to get the job done CORRECTLY, and not caving in to politicians and unions so you can get their support in landing the chief's job on a permanent basis. As has been discussed adnauseam, In Chief Exposito's last year, he had roughly the same police officer vacancies that exist in thecdepartment today. As everyone agreed at his termination hearing, including the city manager and commissioners, he had enough salary savings from the vacant police officers position that it exceeded what he was spending on overtime, while maintaining a full service police department, and more importantly keeping the proactive community policing units intact (something that Miami-Dade PD is striving to do). The fact that Exposito was saving the city money was so obvious that they dropped the charge of overtime overages against him at his hearing.

I don't know if the courts will side with the previous chief in his quest to get his job back, although it appears that he has a valid claim, but if he doesn't come back, I hope his permanent successor is someone who will run the department professionally and will not allow city hall or the police union to run the department. If you are going to allow this interference, have the City Manager run the department and cut out the middle man.

That is my humble opinion.

By the way, before you start identifying me as a member of the previous administration and attacking me, I will tell you that I am not. I will also tell you that I may not have agreed with all of Exposito's decisions, but I recognize the fact that his heart was in the right place and he did some good things for this department. If that wasn't the case, he would still be here and he would have allowed the politicians to direct the department as Orosa is doing now.

11-05-2011, 01:58 PM
Amen to that brother. I thought the same thing as I read the article.

11-05-2011, 03:07 PM
The poster only focus' on the dismantling of tactical units as an example of Orosas failures. However, the tactical units are too large for the size of MPD and must be trimed back and used more efficiently with new leadership to ensure they are used properly.

The more troubling facet of Orosas tenure so far is the personnel decissions he has made to this point and the ones he wants to make after January. Assigning Roque to the chief's office, assigning Armando Jr to the chief's office, Colina to IA, McQueen to SIS, Moss to Major, Cabrera back to DC, are all poorly thought out and either signal a man that is totaly controlled by politicians and who will do anything to be chief or a total idiot who has no idea what he is doing. Or perhaps, a combination of the two.

Expositos adminstration was politically and morally corrupt. His methods were out dated and he and his followers were petty and vindictive men who cried in public when they were ousted. Orosa adminstration is shaping up to be much of the same but with perhaps more political corruption than this department has ever seen.

11-05-2011, 03:18 PM
Make no mistake about it this a Regalado created department run by politics. The same vindictive acts you are talking about was just done to the hardworking cops in specialized units. With no notice, direction or even a meeting to discuss the problems that needed to be addressed all of these cops that go above and beyond their normal call of duty were just kicked to the curb. What ever issues this administration had with Exposito was just lashed out on hardworkers. The only proactive approach I have seen by this administration is towing police cars from the station. Is trooper Watts running this place?

WHats really sacry is that you have a so called union pushing these political agendas and their all in the same bed.

11-05-2011, 03:33 PM
The poster only focus' on the dismantling of tactical units as an example of Orosas failures. However, the tactical units are too large for the size of MPD and must be trimed back and used more efficiently with new leadership to ensure they are used properly.

The more troubling facet of Orosas tenure so far is the personnel decissions he has made to this point and the ones he wants to make after January. Assigning Roque to the chief's office, assigning Armando Jr to the chief's office, Colina to IA, McQueen to SIS, Moss to Major, Cabrera back to DC, are all poorly thought out and either signal a man that is totaly controlled by politicians and who will do anything to be chief or a total idiot who has no idea what he is doing. Or perhaps, a combination of the two.

Expositos adminstration was politically and morally corrupt. His methods were out dated and he and his followers were petty and vindictive men who cried in public when they were ousted. Orosa adminstration is shaping up to be much of the same but with perhaps more political corruption than this department has ever seen.
I disagree totally with your assessment. Perhaps you issues with Both Exposito and Orosa is that you weren't in either one's plans.

11-05-2011, 03:55 PM
Let us suppose, for the sake of this discussion, that Orosa is not made chief and an outsider gets the nod. I know it is a stretch, given the writing on the wall, but let us suppose it nevertheless to advance the argument. What do you recommend be done? What innovative strategies should the newly minted Miami Police Chief employ to efficaciously and safely serve and protect Miami’s population; while concurrently maintaining staffing levels that assure a modicum of officer safety?

11-05-2011, 04:01 PM
BUT WE HAVE MORE BRASS THAN A COLLEGE BAND! AND MORE SERGEANTS ACTING AS SECRETARIES THAN A SECRETARIAL POOL IN AN UNEMPLOYMENT OFFICE...BRING THE GUNS AND BADGES BACK TO THE STREET TO CHASE THE BAD GUYS AND GET RID OF THE BAND..

11-05-2011, 04:27 PM

I agree. We can't have fully functional specialized units and less than minimum patrol officers. Especially those with no real direction or objectives. I agree the specialized units are needed, but the priority has to be patrol. Maybe in the future when manpower is increased those units can be beefed up again but for now patrol needs bodies. The appointed people are probably favors and friends as with all of the administrations except timoney. My opinion, Expo made super poor choices when it came to appointing people and he definitely was political until the lovers spat with the mayor.

11-05-2011, 04:31 PM
Let us suppose, for the sake of this discussion, that Orosa is not made chief and an outsider gets the nod. I know it is a stretch, given the writing on the wall, but let us suppose it nevertheless to advance the argument. What do you recommend be done? What innovative strategies should the newly minted Miami Police Chief employ to efficaciously and safely serve and protect Miami’s population; while concurrently maintaining staffing levels that assure a modicum of officer safety?

Training, Training and more Training. Take those street level resources (Actual cops that work) in the department and allow them to take advance training in supervision, tactical and community policing. Reward honest hardwork. There should be clear communication from top to bottom and I dont mean rulling with an iron thumb. Have more meetings with supervisors that run the day to day operations on the street and critical departments. SEPERATE THE POLITICAL WHORING FROM THE DEPARTMENT INCLUDING THE UNION.

11-05-2011, 05:14 PM
orosa is following in the foot steps of Exposito. He is a political whore who is taking care of people who worked on the mayors campaign, Roque, Cabrera, Aguilar, and his cronies. He is trying to get the blacks on his side, the blacks he never wanted to pay attention to before by promoting Moss, moving McQueen to SIS and not getting rid of Moffet. He is making campaign contributions and attending fund raisers. In short he has sold out to be chief.

Until Regalado is gone MPD will never be a professional department. Orosa doesn't have the inner fortitude to keep the politics out of the department and actually is part of the political inner circle.

11-05-2011, 06:13 PM
orosa is following in the foot steps of Exposito. He is a political whore who is taking care of people who worked on the mayors campaign, Roque, Cabrera, Aguilar, and his cronies. He is trying to get the blacks on his side, the blacks he never wanted to pay attention to before by promoting Moss, moving McQueen to SIS and not getting rid of Moffet. He is making campaign contributions and attending fund raisers. In short he has sold out to be chief.

Until Regalado is gone MPD will never be a professional department. Orosa doesn't have the inner fortitude to keep the politics out of the department and actually is part of the political inner circle.

My dear guess you have personal issues, If you look at the personnel record of each person you have named, the shoes they wear wont fit in your feets. All of them have excellent records, they are good leaders, and all have their degrees to back them up. check around before you open your mouth.

11-05-2011, 09:48 PM
I agree with the statement that until regalado is gone the department will not posess any moral and remain devided. I believe that we need a chief who has the knowledge and experience of a leader, someone who will not be a puppet! We need a "leader" who brings the department together and cares about the officers and not go on national tv and render a vertic prior to the investigation being complete. I also believe that patrol is the backbone of the department but we should not neglect the intricate role that specialized units play in productivity, crime and moral. I honestly don't see the department heading on the right path until regalado is out of office

11-06-2011, 12:45 AM
Guys stop crying because you guys are being sent to patrol. You are pathetic, have some honor, are you that scared of working? Stop using the excuse of "We catch violent criminals" , if you are a real cop you will still catch them even in a marked patrol car and wearing a uniform, god knows many of us do it everyday. You dont need to wear all that gear and look like a private security contractor from Iraq to catch bad guys, lol. Stop comming on here like little cry babies thinking the chief or anyone will be dumb enought to listen to your cries and believe that you are really concerned with crime going up if these unnecessary units get dismantled. I live in an very good part of the city and I have been a victim of crime 5 times and I have never once seen these so called crime stopping tactical units anywhere near my house, and I pay really high taxes. Me and my nieghbors are happy to hear these tactical units will go to patrol because it will be comforting to see more uniformed officers driving patrol cars on the streets. I hope now I will see a cop make a cameo appearance while I am trimming my rose bushes.

11-06-2011, 04:09 AM
Guys stop crying because you guys are being sent to patrol. You are pathetic, have some honor, are you that scared of working? Stop using the excuse of "We catch violent criminals" , if you are a real cop you will still catch them even in a marked patrol car and wearing a uniform, god knows many of us do it everyday. You dont need to wear all that gear and look like a private security contractor from Iraq to catch bad guys, lol. Stop comming on here like little cry babies thinking the chief or anyone will be dumb enought to listen to your cries and believe that you are really concerned with crime going up if these unnecessary units get dismantled. I live in an very good part of the city and I have been a victim of crime 5 times and I have never once seen these so called crime stopping tactical units anywhere near my house, and I pay really high taxes. Me and my nieghbors are happy to hear these tactical units will go to patrol because it will be comforting to see more uniformed officers driving patrol cars on the streets. I hope now I will see a cop make a cameo appearance while I am trimming my rose bushes.

Yeah wait on it Mr citizen!!! You still won't see a cop while your trim your bushes because we will be parked some where, with the car off saving gas, drinking coffee to save you a tax increase again. So your welcome in advance.

11-06-2011, 04:31 AM
Orosa-no degree, turned fed witness to testify against cops to avoid being indicted, no significant accomplishments in 30 years

Roque-no degree, file full of reprimands and investigation, kicked out of SIS for lying, stealing OT and problems with his personal finances, drove elderly voters to polls for mayor, kicked out of Gangs

McQueen- no degree, affirmative action sgt and lt, kicked out of SOS, SIS, NDSS, CDSS, and even the friggin Honor Guard, zero accomplishments

Cabrera-baker act, matchbook cover degree, kicked out of PAL, KICKED OUT OF MPD, has crying fits, drove mayor around during campaign to get promoted,

Sounds like a very well qualified group to run the department

11-06-2011, 04:54 AM
Orosa-no degree, turned fed witness to testify against cops to avoid being indicted, no significant accomplishments in 30 years

Roque-no degree, file full of reprimands and investigation, kicked out of SIS for lying, stealing OT and problems with his personal finances, drove elderly voters to polls for mayor, kicked out of Gangs

McQueen- no degree, affirmative action sgt and lt, kicked out of SOS, SIS, NDSS, CDSS, and even the friggin Honor Guard, zero accomplishments

Cabrera-baker act, matchbook cover degree, kicked out of PAL, KICKED OUT OF MPD, has crying fits, drove mayor around during campaign to get promoted,

I DON'T KNOW ABOUT THE OTHERS, BUT ARE THESE LIES?

Major Craig E. McQueen joined the City of Miami Police Department on April 27, 1981. He earned his Bachelor’s Degree in Public Administration – Cum Laude from Florida international University, awarded the Who’s Who among students in American Universities & Colleges award and was placed in the Golden Key National Honor Society. He attended the FBI – National Academy Session # 188 and the Senior Management Institute for Police (SMIP) PERF – Executive Strategic Management Session # 31 Boston University – Harvard John F. Kennedy School of Government. FBI – Florida Police Chiefs – Florida Executive Development. The National Crime Prevention Institute-University of Louisville.
He as achieved the following ranks Sergeant in 1992, Lieutenant in 1995, Captain in 2002, Commander 2001 and Major 2003. Major McQueen has worked in the following areas; Patrol all shifts, Honor Guard Detail, Community Relations, Criminal Investigations Tactical Apprehension Team (C.I.T.A.T.) Accident Investigations Unit (A.I.U.) Traffic Enforcement (Motorcycle Squad), Training Unit, Recruitment and Selection Unit, and the Special Investigations Section and Special Operations Section. Major McQueen has served as the Departmental Representative for multiple Major Criminal Investigations with the FBI, ATF and DEA, Organizational of American States 2005, Presidential Debates 2004, MTV-Video Awards 2004, Incident Commander (Bravo – Shift ) Four (4) Major Hurricanes that threatened the City of Miami 2004, Free Trade Areas of the Americas (FTAA) Bravo –Shift. Major McQueen represents the department at the annual Police Olympics where he has won over 30 medals.

11-06-2011, 05:07 AM
Another clarification, the chief never low enough to turn witness against officers even though the feds tried hard to get him to and he is against rats in the department. Now they try to use anything they can pull out of a hat to tarnish his good name.

11-06-2011, 05:31 PM

The key to a turnaround of this police department is getting Regalado out. Unfortunately when the FOP President and Vice-president backstab us and support him for personal gain and Kathy Fernandez-Rundle refuses to file criminal charges against him, we will waddle in mediocrity.

11-06-2011, 06:48 PM
Mcqueenie
SMIP is conducted by PERF which uses Boston University facilities to house the course. Some instructors come form Harvard. It does not have anything to do with Boston University or the John F. Kennedy School of Government beside that. Another misrepresentation of the facts by Mcqueen.

All "Who's who" books are for profit books that an individual PAYS a fee to have their name included.

He never actually attained the rank of captain. He was on the captains list when Raul Martinez made all Net Lt's staff members and making them commnaders. He then was promoted to captain through a technicality in Civil Service rules. All the other civil service ranks were through affirmative action.

McQueen was a member of CITAT when that unit become the subject of an internal affairs investigation. McQueen was transfered from the unit during the investigation.

McQueen was the commander of the Honor Guard Detail but was removed from that post due to his incompetence in running the unit and his racial favoritism.

McQueen was not the Incident Commander in OAS, had no rule in the OAS excepting answering the phone in the CP.

Mcqueen was not the Incident Comander and had no command responsibilities during FTAA, he was assigned to midnights where he could not mess up anything.

McQueen was removed from commands in SIS, SOS, NDSS (2) for his inability to command those sections.

McQueen was not the Incident Commander for any hurricane mobilizations. He was the midnight EOC commander where as in the FTAA he would not have to make any decissions.

Burden supervised the 2004 MTV awards planning. Just prior to the MTV Burden was promoted and McQueen was the coomander of SOS. He was not the Incident commander, Childress was.

McQueens long post to defend himself is full of misrepresentations and half truths. He has proven to be the less than honest and everyone knows he is nothing but an "empty suit", nothing below the surface. Just the fact that he feels he has to come on this site to post exagerations about his resume says all you need to know about his true personality. He is scum of the lowest form.

11-06-2011, 07:11 PM
HeHehe, looks like the posters have gotten to McQueen for him to come on here and try to defend himself to post lies.

Too bad they left out about him trying to screw over Burden in sexual harassment complaint and how he is now bad mouthing Brown. Nothing like a brother looking out for a brother.

11-07-2011, 12:12 AM

The key to a turnaround of this police department is getting Regalado out. Unfortunately when the FOP President and Vice-president backstab us and support him for personal gain and Kathy Fernandez-Rundle refuses to file criminal charges against him, we will waddle in mediocrity.

the truth! but the media wont report this their to busy covering youtube videos and Chuck Rabin is Regalado cronie........this department is doomed!

11-08-2011, 03:49 AM
Yea, Yea, Yea Expo / hippo ass kisser , Oh is that you Blom you useless piece of crap