PDA

View Full Version : Videotaping Cops

08-30-2011, 02:17 AM
Arresting someone for filming the police is a constitutional violation, a Federal Appeals Court has ruled

By PoliceOne Staff

BOSTON — Arresting someone for filming the police is a constitutional violation, the Massachusetts district court announced Friday.

The case began when Simon Glik was taken into police custody for recording an arrest with his cell phone camera, according to Tech Dirt. Glik told police he saw an officer punch the suspect and believed their use of force was excessive, sources say. Officers reportedly asked him to stop recording because audio recording — a capability of Glik’s phone — violated Massachusetts wiretap laws.

Glik was charged with disturbing the peace and aiding in the escape of a prisoner — charges that were later dropped — but he sued the officers who arrested him and the City of Boston for failing to investigate the case further. His First and Fourth Amendment rights were violated, he said.

The police officers filed for qualified immunity, which is designed to protect them against frivolous charges, but the district court ruled in Glik’s favor, unequivocally stating that recording police in public is protected under the First Amendment.

“A citizen’s right to film government officials, including law enforcement officers, in the discharge of their duties in a public space is a basic, vital, and well-established liberty safeguarded by the First Amendment,” the decision said.

The court also ruled that the use of Massachusetts wiretapping laws to arrest Glik was a violation of his Fourth Amendment rights.

http://www.policeone.com/legal/articles/4274274-Court-upholds-citizens-right-to-film-cops/

08-30-2011, 03:03 AM
Thank goodness we are in Florida and the Florida Supreme Court has allowed that people be arrested for violating Florida's wiretap laws when recording police without consent.

08-30-2011, 03:05 AM
Please get back with us when you make a point that is relevant to florida! Please show me one example when a FHP Trooper arrested someone for merely videotaping them??? I bet you can't even present one case, so how is this relevant to FHP?

08-30-2011, 04:13 AM
Havent you boys learned anything on the patrol yet! Step 1.. a bee lands on the camera or camera phone you are being filmed with. Step 2.. swat the bee but try to avoid knocking the camera or camera phone to the ground. Step 3.. make sure you step on the bee and sqaush it, if the camera or camera phone ends up destroyed as a result of preventing bee stings to anyone around...oh well..Step 4 assure the individual with the camera or camera phone that you had to do that to prevent the bee from harming anyone around. :cop:

vintagesquads
08-30-2011, 05:49 AM
About 15 years ago a civilian was arrested for filming a takedown in Coral Gables. He was filming from an office window across the street. The court threw it out as it is legal to film any actions in a public place as long as it is not interfering with the business at hand. I think each case should be weighed on how much involvement the person filming has and where the action is taking place.
Standing across the street....OK
Standing in a doorway of the scene....not OK

08-30-2011, 07:29 AM
Thank goodness we are in Florida and the Florida Supreme Court has allowed that people be arrested for violating Florida's wiretap laws when recording police without consent.

I guess you don't under stand the term "a Federal Appeals Court has ruled".

08-30-2011, 07:43 AM
Please get back with us when you make a point that is relevant to florida! Please show me one example when a FHP Trooper arrested someone for merely videotaping them??? I bet you can't even present one case, so how is this relevant to FHP?

Here is a typical exchange between a Florida Highway Patrol officer and a citizen filming an FHP vehicle. The citizen has every right under the Constitution to film an police officer in a pubic venue – and the officer wants to deny that right:

http://extranosalley.com/?p=12314

08-30-2011, 07:53 AM

"South Florida model sues cops who arrested her on wiretapping charges"

The charges were quickly dropped because the wiretapping law in Florida specifically states that there must be “an expectation of privacy” for the charge to stand.

Ford, who was videotaping the cops in the parking lot in front of a movie theater in Boynton Beach, made it very clear she was videotaping them"

http://www.pixiq.com/article/south-florida-model-sues-cops-who-arrested-her-on-wiretapping-charges

08-30-2011, 11:53 AM
Youll do as youre told boy.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q55/ssgt1/icartman.jpg

08-30-2011, 12:09 PM

Where? Please cite your facts. I hope to God you're not a trooper because your lack of high school government class knowledge will make you the focus of a first amendment case one day.

This is America. If you have a problem being on camera than you have picked the wrong career choice, especially in the technological age we live in. Just do your job to the book and don't mess with people with cameras unless they're are actually interfering with your job. Not worth being splatted over the internet and embarrassing the agency. Not to mention the lawsuit, suspension, or termination that would be soon to follow.

We have other things to worry about.

08-30-2011, 01:16 PM

Here is a typical exchange between a Florida Highway Patrol officer and a citizen filming an FHP vehicle. The citizen has every right under the Constitution to film an police officer in a pubic venue – and the officer wants to deny that right:

I still can't see where he was arrested or charged with anything? The person probably has ground for a complaint to be filed against the Troopers but he wasn't arrested so legally he wasn't harmed.

Nevertheless, this issue has been beaten to death already. The courts already have ruled that, so long as you don't interfere, a citizen has a constitutional right to video tape while in public. Some citizens abuse that by walking up to a traffic stop instead of filming from across the street, then scream they have an absolute right to film wherever they want, which isn't so. Film from a distance.

08-30-2011, 02:52 PM
Film me and I see the phone or camera then it gets smashed into bits schoolboys.

08-30-2011, 04:02 PM
Film me and I see the phone or camera then it gets smashed into bits schoolboys.

"If you have nothing to hide...."

Isnt that what you guys always say?

08-30-2011, 06:13 PM

That would be a criminal act, just saying. A quick way to get fired!

08-30-2011, 09:51 PM

If you follow policies and procedures while effecting an arrest not using unnecessary force or abuse your authority you shouldn't worry about people video taping you.

But this does not apply to FHP. Troopers are professionals and treat the public good.
This applies to Miami-Dade, City of Miami, Miami Beach, Sweetwater and Hialeah.

08-30-2011, 10:38 PM

More than one way to skin a cat folks. Simply issue them a case number and thank them them for videoing yourself and a subject. Your phone is now evidence. Swipe---- thank you for your assitance. Here is a receipt you may claim your property in 30days bahhhhaaaa or call the evidence techs downtown and check on the status of the case. Only then if and you may take them to jail for obstruction when they become a horses butt.

08-30-2011, 11:11 PM

More than one way to skin a cat folks. Simply issue them a case number and thank them them for videoing yourself and a subject. Your phone is now evidence. Swipe---- thank you for your assitance. Here is a receipt you may claim your property in 30days bahhhhaaaa or call the evidence techs downtown and check on the status of the case. Only then if and you may take them to jail for obstruction when they become a horses butt.

Then you get sued for a violation of the 4th Amendment, you know, the one about unlawful search and SEIZURE.

08-31-2011, 01:01 AM

And then get ARRESTED, and then get SUED.

08-31-2011, 01:12 AM

PROVE it happened college boy...your word against mine so they equal themselves out! You have to know how internal affairs works my boy.

08-31-2011, 07:08 AM
http://www.wtsp.com/news/reporter/artic ... urt-ruling (http://www.wtsp.com/news/reporter/article/208132/79/Freedom-to-film-cops-in-action-affirmed-in-court-ruling)

To the idiot saying he's going to start smashing phones... there are many apps out there on cell phones that stream video to a website as it's recording. So even if you smash the hell out of the phone, a copy of it is already saved on the web for the victim to sell to the news. Please be smart.

08-31-2011, 07:23 AM

PROVE it happened college boy...your word against mine so they equal themselves out! You have to know how internal affairs works my boy.

Typical Crooked Mentality - you should be in prison.

08-31-2011, 01:56 PM

Then you get sued for a violation of the 4th Amendment, you know, the one about unlawful search and SEIZURE.

Unlawful search and seizure only works if you can prove it doesnt aide in the act or the the scope of my duties. If I am a making a contact and possibly criminal investigation. I have every right to seize your data to determine if it is useful in the aide of my investigation. You presented the data to me. I didnt ask foir it remember. I too can use word games to assist me in the realm of my duties as long as I am acting in GOOD FAITH. Then if it useless. Thirty days later. You are without our your little phone and you get it back. Hey good for you for but I guarantee you will think twice about being Mr candid camera and sticking it in my face. Now get to school little boy. The bell is going toring. If you are going to study Constitutional Law,, also try Florida state law as well. You think we have done this beofre. We do it all the time. The gang bangers in the hood use to do this but now I dont see one phone when I am out making contacts or Terry Stops if you want to look that up.

Their is an old saying. "You may beat the wrap but you wont beat the ride"

08-31-2011, 06:00 PM

Unlawful search and seizure only works if you can prove it doesnt aide in the act or the the scope of my duties. If I am a making a contact and possibly criminal investigation. I have every right to seize your data to determine if it is useful in the aide of my investigation. You presented the data to me. I didnt ask foir it remember. I too can use word games to assist me in the realm of my duties as long as I am acting in GOOD FAITH. Then if it useless. Thirty days later. You are without our your little phone and you get it back. Hey good for you for but I guarantee you will think twice about being Mr candid camera and sticking it in my face. Now get to school little boy. The bell is going toring. If you are going to study Constitutional Law,, also try Florida state law as well. You think we have done this beofre. We do it all the time. The gang bangers in the hood use to do this but now I dont see one phone when I am out making contacts or Terry Stops if you want to look that up.

My civil attorney says different. How much will your attorney cost you when the PBA and FHP hang you out to dry for doing something so blatantly stupid?

08-31-2011, 06:28 PM
[quote="Guest":2hl8rewa]Please get back with us when you make a point that is relevant to florida! Please show me one example when a FHP Trooper arrested someone for merely videotaping them??? I bet you can't even present one case, so how is this relevant to FHP?

My civil attorney says different. How much will your attorney cost you when the PBA and FHP hang you out to dry for doing something so blatantly stupid?[/quote:2hl8rewa]

I think some you need to read title 42 section 1983 of the USC. I can assure you there are plenty of AUSA's out there that will educate you in it if you even think about doing some of the stuff that has been mentioned in this post and you damage property or arrest based on this really bad advise.

08-31-2011, 07:55 PM
For those incapable of using a search engine....

§ 1983. Civil action for deprivation of rights

Every person who, under color of any statute, ordinance, regulation, custom, or usage, of any State or Territory or the District of Columbia, subjects, or causes to be subjected, any citizen of the United States or other person within the jurisdiction thereof to the deprivation of any rights, privileges, or immunities secured by the Constitution and laws, shall be liable to the party injured in an action at law, suit in equity, or other proper proceeding for redress, except that in any action brought against a judicial officer for an act or omission taken in such officer’s judicial capacity, injunctive relief shall not be granted unless a declaratory decree was violated or declaratory relief was unavailable. For the purposes of this section, any Act of Congress applicable exclusively to the District of Columbia shall be considered to be a statute of the District of Columbia.

09-01-2011, 12:56 AM

DoucheBag. The Federal appellate court issuing that ruling does not have jurisdiction over us. Because you are so frigging dumb (as a box of rocks) I will have to teach you about the Federal Courts. The 1st Circuit Federal Court made that ruling in Boston and it does not apply in the domain of the 11th Circuit Court which covers Florida. How does someone as dumb as you actually get out of high school? Here is a pretty little picture for you to play with. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/df/US_Court_of_Appeals_and_District_Court_map.svg/620px-US_Court_of_Appeals_and_District_Court_map.svg.png

Perhaps you can get some Crayons and draw out the map on paper so you can try to learn. That GED may be coming your way, after all.

09-01-2011, 01:42 AM
You are an IDIOT.

FEDERAL COURTS outweigh State Courts, no matter what district they are in.

09-01-2011, 04:28 AM

DoucheBag. The Federal appellate court issuing that ruling does not have jurisdiction over us. Because you are so frigging dumb (as a box of rocks) I will have to teach you about the Federal Courts. The 1st Circuit Federal Court made that ruling in Boston and it does not apply in the domain of the 11th Circuit Court which covers Florida. How does someone as dumb as you actually get out of high school? Here is a pretty little picture for you to play with. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/df/US_Court_of_Appeals_and_District_Court_map.svg/620px-US_Court_of_Appeals_and_District_Court_map.svg.png

Perhaps you can get some Crayons and draw out the map on paper so you can try to learn. That GED may be coming your way, after all.

11th Circuit rejects Fla. woman’s suit against Fox’s ‘Cops’

First Amendment Center

Thursday, July 7, 2011

A federal appeals court ruled this week that the Fox reality show “Cops” didn’t violate the privacy rights of Arlene Spilfogel when her interactions with police during a traffic stop were recorded without her knowledge. The 11th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals upheld a lower court’s order dismissing the case.

The Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press reported that Spilfogel sued Fox Broadcasting Co., Langley Productions Inc. and Turner Broadcasting System Inc. after she was recorded on a public street and the incident was later broadcast. She claimed the “defendants invaded her privacy through the public disclosure of private facts and intrusion upon her seclusion.”

According to the Reporters Committee article, “the courts agreed that recording interactions with police during a traffic stop on a public street cannot give rise to either cause of action.”

The 11th Circuit wrote: “The broadcast of ‘eccentric reactions and behavior in stressful situations’ does not amount to the publication of private facts that are offensive and not of public concern.”

http://www.firstamendmentcenter.org/11th-circuit-rejects-fla-woman%E2%80%99s-suit-against-fox%E2%80%99s-%E2%80%98cops%E2%80%99

Most Federal Courts think alike.

09-01-2011, 11:32 AM
The 11th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Atlanta has already ruled that filming police activity is legal and does not qualify under the "wiretapping" laws or "Privacy" laws.

09-01-2011, 08:10 PM
[quote="Guest":3t6x00n2]Please get back with us when you make a point that is relevant to florida! Please show me one example when a FHP Trooper arrested someone for merely videotaping them??? I bet you can't even present one case, so how is this relevant to FHP?

My civil attorney says different. How much will your attorney cost you when the PBA and FHP hang you out to dry for doing something so blatantly stupid?[/quote:3t6x00n2]

You are such an idiot. Your Paralegal is not an attorney. As far as seizing your phone for evidence. Hey feel free to go speed by a State Trooper or Deputy Sheriff or interupt them them when they are performing their duties hindering them as a LEO. Start running your mouth and start taping I guarantee you will not like the outcome. Nobody is going to hang nobody out to dry as long as I can justify my actions. I GUARANTEE you I CAN. You are not the first to cry like a little babie and I assure you wont be the last.

To better educate you on weapons. Check this out.http://www.google.com/search?q=cell+phone+weapons&hl=en&biw=1920&bih=873&prmd=ivns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=NOZfTuz9MpGgtwfs4aGmCw&sqi=2&ved=0CFIQsAQ

This is why you WILL NOT hold your phone on my stop or have it anywhere near you. Good luck in court.

09-01-2011, 10:06 PM
You're the IDIOT.

No Agency would stand up for a MORON like you.

09-02-2011, 05:36 AM

Wow, I certainly hope that you guys are smarter than this. You are giving law enforcement a bad name. First of all, you have no expectation of privacy when you are in a public place. If they can legally stand on the side of the road and film cars going by, then they can legally film you doing a traffic stop. Now, I will agree that if they are very close while you’re conducting your traffic stop or call and they are hindering you from doing your job or causing some sort of safety concern then you may have an obstruction charge. Secondly you can’t seize the cell phone or camera unless it contains evidence of a crime. Even if you did seize the cell phone or camera you would have to obtain a search warrant to examine the contents of the phone. Florida statutes specifies the types of crimes for which you can obtain a search warrant, a traffic violation is not one of them. Maybe they should spend a little more time on search and seizure training at the FHP academy. If someone wants to film me doing a traffic stop or working a call I really don’t care. If you seize someone’s phone or camera without proper legal authority or process you have committed theft. Just be professional and you don’t have to worry about some idiot who has nothing better to do than film you doing your job.

09-02-2011, 07:39 AM
[quote="Guest":zmd2sqvc][quote="Guest":zmd2sqvc]Please get back with us when you make a point that is relevant to florida! Please show me one example when a FHP Trooper arrested someone for merely videotaping them??? I bet you can't even present one case, so how is this relevant to FHP?

My civil attorney says different. How much will your attorney cost you when the PBA and FHP hang you out to dry for doing something so blatantly stupid?[/quote:zmd2sqvc]

You are such an idiot. Your Paralegal is not an attorney. As far as seizing your phone for evidence. Hey feel free to go speed by a State Trooper or Deputy Sheriff or interupt them them when they are performing their duties hindering them as a LEO. Start running your mouth and start taping I guarantee you will not like the outcome. Nobody is going to hang nobody out to dry as long as I can justify my actions. I GUARANTEE you I CAN. You are not the first to cry like a little babie and I assure you wont be the last.

To better educate you on weapons. Check this out.http://www.google.com/search?q=cell+phone+weapons&hl=en&biw=1920&bih=873&prmd=ivns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=NOZfTuz9MpGgtwfs4aGmCw&sqi=2&ved=0CFIQsAQ

This is why you WILL NOT hold your phone on my stop or have it anywhere near you. Good luck in court.[/quote:zmd2sqvc]

You can't be serious. Good luck convincing anyone that you thought a cell phone was a weapon. Unless they're being detained and are blabbing on the phone instead of speaking to you on a stop, they don't have to surrender the phone or separate themselves from it. I bet you'd never ask anyone to surrender their phone if they weren't recording. Talk about selective paranoia enforcement...

"Is that a cell phone? PUT YOUR HANDS IN THE AIR WHERE I CAN SEE THEM! 10-46, I have a cell phone in the center console, I got the subject at gunpoint!"

GOOOOOOOOOD LUCK with that! :snicker:

Last time I was recorded on a stop... I smiled, waved at the phone, and said sign here. Take off the tin foil hat.

09-02-2011, 12:06 PM
You're the IDIOT.

No Agency would stand up for a MORON like you.
Why because i speak the truth. Hey dont hate player. Hate the game. Your just mad because u can justify my actions.

09-02-2011, 12:15 PM
When you have been to as many cop funerals as i had. Youll learn new guy it is my stop. Hey u wanna record me with your phone from a console or wherever but it will not be within your grasp or ill take ut from you. Been doing it for years. Never had any probl with it. Anyome with a brain complies fine and doesnt mess with it. Paranoia has keep me alive for over 20 years now. Say what u will

09-02-2011, 02:40 PM
How many of those funerals in those 20 years were caused by camera phones? You're using the deaths of your brothers and sisters to justify your issue with cameras, I find that insulting. It's obvious you only care about phones when they're recording. Yes it's your stop, but you can't make up the rules as you go along. You are a trooper, not a lawmaker...

09-02-2011, 03:32 PM
How many of those funerals in those 20 years were caused by camera phones? You're using the deaths of your brothers and sisters to justify your issue with cameras, I find that insulting. It's obvious you only care about phones when they're recording. Yes it's your stop, but you can't make up the rules as you go along. You are a trooper, not a lawmaker...

Dont tell him that, he will vapor-lock!

09-02-2011, 11:09 PM

Did you not see the Camera Phones weapons? I could care less about taping. My car does that for me. I could care less if they tape me. You missed the entire point. My point is I am not going to let some person whom obviously shows no respect for law enforcement hold something could possibly include a weapon. Remember we dont need signatures. With that being said. Their is no reason for them to have ANYTHING in their hands. That was my sole point. I am NOT disrepsecting any LEO KIA. Maybe I should of been more descriptive. If this tool doesnt care about respect of authority. That leads me to believe my safety could also be in question.

In closing having a cell phone record me for the 10 seconds I am at the window who cares. My issue would be if I am performing other duties and this tool steps up to hinder me.

09-02-2011, 11:22 PM
Smashed phone = no problems not to mention the look on schoolboys face when you do it..priceless.

09-03-2011, 12:31 AM
Smashed phone = no problems not to mention the look on schoolboys face when you do it..priceless.

No wonder people hate cops. Comments like that make us all look stupid!!!!

Besides criminal mischief and depriving someone use of their property (theft), both crimes, it is unprofessional conduct.

Someone who would "smash" a phone belonging to someone else does not have the maturity or self control to be allowed to carry a sidearm.

And if you're afraid of a cell phone, you have real issues. Anyone with an IQ above 10 would take the 5 seconds it takes to look at it and see if it is a weapon and then give it back.

09-03-2011, 12:59 AM

Besides criminal mischief and depriving someone use of their property (theft), both crimes, it is unprofessional conduct.

Someone who would "smash" a phone belonging to someone else does not have the maturity or self control to be allowed to carry a sidearm.

And if you're afraid of a cell phone, you have real issues. Anyone with an IQ above 10 would take the 5 seconds it takes to look at it and see if it is a weapon and then give it back.

Go back to the academy again rook...well on second thought your just another troll. You'll never wear the badge but you can dream about it at your security job tonight. You're just too easy pal. :shock:

09-03-2011, 01:07 AM

Go back to the academy again rook...well on second thought your just another troll. You'll never wear the badge but you can dream about it at your security job tonight. You're just too easy pal. :shock:

26 years on the job, DUMBASS. I've worked more Traffic Homicides than you have ever directed traffic around.

You on the other hand should be in jail, or digging a ditch somewhere.

09-03-2011, 01:37 AM
26 years on the job,

Ahhh your quote says it all, "on the job", another "wanna be" NYPD clown posing on board...like I said Troll, go back to your flashlight security gig and leave the real police work to active cops. You're just too dam* easy man. :snicker:

09-03-2011, 02:45 AM
26 years on the job,

Ahhh your quote says it all, "on the job", another "wanna be" NYPD clown posing on board...like I said Troll, go back to your flashlight security gig and leave the real police work to active cops. You're just too dam* easy man. :snicker:

Wrong again Jackass. You are too gullible. You'll never been an investigator, you don't have the brains. I worked with Jeff Young before he was shot to death on I-75 in 1987. I've been working crashes on the Interstate Highways and back country roads while you were in diapers, which you appear to still be wearing. No put your big boy pants on and try being a man for a change.

09-03-2011, 03:22 AM
It's your lie...tell it any way you want too New York guy. Now get to security guardin' you dipshi*! It's just too easy! :evil:

09-03-2011, 03:48 AM
After reading some of the posts on here it is no wonder the public hates law enforcement. And if these comments are really coming from troopers it proves the point that the agency has sunk to new lows. Most officers, and yes troopers too, have totally lost sight of what they are employed for. All of you should remember this:

Police, at all times, should maintain a relationship with the public that gives reality to the historic tradition that the police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full-time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence.

The reason a lot of these idiots want to film you in the first place is because of the stupid actions that you are bragging about on here. The profesion as a whole is it's own worst enemy. With the morons we are hiring today I am so glad that my time in this line of work is almost done. I just feel sorry for the rest of society and fear that I may run into one of these out of control nut jobs with a badge one day when I am but a civilian again. Remember before you got this job you were just a regular member of society and all of you will be again one day.

09-03-2011, 05:43 AM
You're right. The good thing is that most bad cops are eventually weeded out, fired, or arrested. it takes time, but in almost 30 years, I've seen many come and go.

They get this "I'm the LAW and I can do whatever I want to" attitude and then reality slaps them down as they get their badge taken away and shown the door.

Then they end up selling used cars or starting a lawn service.

09-03-2011, 10:35 AM
26 years on the job,

That term is no longer a northern term. It is used nation wide. Give the vet some respect. I wouldnt break anyones property but at hear him out