PDA

View Full Version : PSL Pay/Benefits

08-03-2011, 12:19 AM
Could someone here tell me what the basic salary?
Whats the top pay and how long it takes to reach it?
20 yr or 25 yr pension..contribution or no contributary

09-30-2011, 12:22 AM
Base pay starts at around $40,000, step 10 you end up at $66,000. If you come on with more than 5 years prior LEO, you start at step 3. Pay goes up about $2,200 per year, just not right now. That is base without OT, which you will get.

At the state LEO area, pay is about half of what I mentioned.

10-03-2011, 03:29 AM
thanks for the info!

How many years it would take you to get to about 66K per year?

10-06-2011, 02:39 AM
If you had 9 years in now, you would be at the $66,000 mark, base. When it gets better again, the raises will come back at about $2,200 per step. If you started at step 3 which should be around $46,000 the contract would be much higher top out in ( 7 years) than it is now. Contract is 10 steps, 1 step per year.

Retirement is 9% at 3+ % multiplier per year. 25 years in and you get roughly 75 % of your highest paid years. Then you also get DROP. Officers can come out with a lump sum of $250,000 at the end of their last 5 years.
You can also buy back 5 additional years with prior LEO or Military.

10-06-2011, 09:00 PM
250,000 sum payout?

With the 3 percent and muliplier u sound confusing.
25 yrs and take any top highest pay calculated.

How much would you get per month an average?
Is there a lot of overtime in psl or is it 8 hrs and go home?

10-07-2011, 02:32 AM
Sorry, say you work 20 years, your last 5 years you earned $100,000 per year. 20 years x 3 would be 60% so if you retired at the end of those 20 years you would receive $60,000 per year until you pass.

At that time you have the option to put in another 5 years (DROP) benefit is simply your normal pension benefit paid monthly, but instead of the check being paid to you, it is deposited into your DROP account, where it earns interest (currently 6.5%). It is basically simple math. The DROP period allows you to work for a longer period, and your pension is paid into a special account until you must quit working (maximum of 60 months). At 25 years of service, that amount is 75% of your average final compensation (your average pay over the last five years). Please refer to MyFRS.com for the DROP calculator, or see the chart below. Because you are retired, your Pension is capped, and you get no additional retirement benefit for additional years of service or raises and promotions

10-10-2011, 09:40 PM
Thanks for all your info on the blog.

Do you think if I come down to Treasure coast training complex in Fort Pierce pass the Leo exam

you think psl pd or any surrounding pd will hire me?
I know there isn't no job guarantee.
Any chances of getting hired or i just shouldn't think about going down there?

10-11-2011, 02:22 AM
Well, if you are certified (Florida) it looks a LOT better to this and other agencys' than someone who is not. This department has many officers from the NY, tri- state area.

We are going to start hiring again in the near future. Currently, there are agency's hiring in the area, the are looking for LEO experience. Every agency now whats the guys with experience , not looking at the guys fresh out of the academy anymore.

10-12-2011, 12:04 AM
I have Correction experience do you think that will help with some kind of experience in that field and having a bachelor of science in police studies.

I know the unemployment is pretty high in psl and surrounding areas so if I wanted to go down to port st luice for the academy pass it pay for out of state resident ,,,where will I find a job in the surrounding areas.I don't want to work in Publix or security guard.