PDA

View Full Version : STATE LAW ENFORCEMENT CONSOLIDATION

07-21-2011, 11:24 PM
Enough with everyones childish posts and comments. You better read this in detail and start being professional at all times.

Scott, lawmakers turn cost-cutting attention to law enforcement .
A task force in Tallahassee will explore ways of saving tax dollars by consolidating law enforcement agencies.

Gov. Rick Scott
Steve Cannon / AP
Herald/Times Tallahassee Bureau
TALLAHASSEE -- After eliminating thousands of rank-and-file jobs from the state work force, Gov. Rick Scott and the Legislature are turning their cost-cutting attention to a more politically sensitive area: law enforcement.
A little-noticed bill the governor signed last month creates a task force on law enforcement consolidation — an idea likely to send shivers up the spines of police officers in a time of double-digit unemployment.
The legislation directs the task force to “evaluate any duplication of law enforcement functions,” including training, legal services, cars, airplanes and the regional deployment of police officers.
The idea comes from Sen. Jack Latvala, a Clearwater Republican, who says he was motivated by hearing that 11 state agencies have police officers, which he said is bound to create duplication.
“I thought it was a good idea to look at what consolidation could be done and maybe save the taxpayers a little money,” Latvala said. “Let the chips fall where they may.”
During the spring legislative session, a much more radical proposal surfaced. In informal talks, senators discussed whether sheriffs should be required to handle some duties now performed by the Florida Highway Patrol, which is understaffed. FHP has long grappled with high turnover among troopers and is about to undergo a reorganization.
But sheriffs successfully killed the idea in its infancy.
Steve Casey, executive director of the Florida Sheriffs Association, said his group opposed it because of uncertainty over whether the state would provide money to sheriffs to do that work. “We’d have to lobby for contract funds,” he said. “The FHP does that now.”
Casey said his group thought a better idea would be to allow sheriffs to contract with FHP on a case-by-case basis for short-term needs such as adding traffic investigation support.
The sheriffs’ long-time lobbyist, Frank Messersmith, said: “We did not advocate eliminating FHP, and if you ask any sheriff in the state, every one would say FHP has been unfairly criticized. They have been cut, over and over, personnel- and budget-wise.”
FHP spokesman Capt. Mark Welch said the patrol welcomes “anything that improves our operations and benefits the taxpayers.”
But turf wars among police agencies are legendary, and reducing the level of police protection is fraught with political peril.
Among the agencies with officers serving various missions are state universities, the Florida Department of Law Enforcement, Attorney General, Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission and Departments of Business and Professional Regulation, Transportation and Agriculture.
Latvala questioned why the agriculture agency needs its own police force to “patrol our forests,” but the agency said those officers safeguard “world-class public lands.”
Agriculture Commissioner Adam Putnam strongly defended the need for his 266 “ag law” officers, whose “unique mission,” he said, is to prevent pests and disease from threatening public health and to help pursue consumer complaints.
But Putnam said his agency and the Department of Transportation have offices close to each other along Interstate 10 in North Florida, which he said was a “missed engineering opportunity” for consolidation by the state.
Gov. Scott, in a letter to statewide police agencies this week, urged the task force to get to work quickly.
“The task force must commence as quickly as possible to ensure ample time to conduct the meetings and workshops required,” Scott wrote. “This task force provides an opportunity to chart a path for common sense and cost effective state law enforcement.”
Members will include representatives from the sheriffs’ association, the Florida Police Chiefs Association, and other statewide police agencies. The chairman is Julie Jones, executive director of the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles, the parent agency of the highway patrol.
Times/Herald staff writers Katie Sanders and Janet Zink contributed to this report. Steve Bousquet can be reached at bousquet@sptimes.com or (850) 224-7263.

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/06/29/2 ... z1QiIAUUNd

07-21-2011, 11:45 PM
Just Found The House Bill Info:

[b]Replaces section 30 of SB 2160:

Effective July I, 2011, a Law Enforcement Consolidation
Task Force is created.

(1) Members of the task force shall consist of the
executive director of the Department of Highway Safety and Motor
Vehicles, the executive director of the Department of Law
Enforcement, a representative from the Office of the Attorney
General, a representative from the Department of Agriculture and
Consumer Services, the Colonel of the Florida Highway Patrol,
the Colonel of the Division of Law Enforcement of the Fish and
Wildlife Conservation Commission, a representative from the
Florida Sheriffs Association, and a representative from the
Florida Police Chiefs Association.
(2) The Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles
shall provide administrative assistance to the task force.

However, this does not include travel expenses incurred by
members of the task force, which shall be borne by the agency
that the member represents.
(3) The task force shall evaluate any duplication of law
enforcement functions throughout state government and identify
any functions that are appropriate for possible consolidation.
The task force shall also evaluate administrative functions,
including, but not limited to, accreditation, training, legal
representation, vehicle fleets, aircraft, civilian-support
staffing, information technology, and geographic regions,
districts, or troops currently in use. The task force shall also
evaluate whether the Florida Highway Patrol should limit its
jurisdiction, except while in fresh pursuit, to the State
Highway System or the Florida Intrastate Highway System. If the
task force concludes that any state law enforcement
consolidation is appropriate, the task force shall make
recommendations and submit a plan to consolidate those state law
enforcement responsibilities. Any plan submitted must include
recommendations on the methodology to be used to achieve any
state law enforcement consolidation recommended by the task
force by June 30, 2013. The task force shall submit to the
President of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of
Representatives a report which includes any recommendations and
plan developed by the task force by December 31, 2011. The task
force expires June 30, 2012.

07-22-2011, 04:48 AM
KYSAGB.

Between this and **** Scott's plan to deregulate businesses, ABT is royally screwed. Being professional at all times won't do much in the way of the Governor's "slash-and-burn" policies. Anything outside of alcohol/tobacco regulation can be (and is) done by the locals and (at times) even feds. Scott will even kick-in money to the locals for the enforcement, just not as much as ABT costs.

What's worse is that ABT's LE powers and take-home cars are not needed to complete its core mission, which can be accomplished via the use of inspectors, and the entire legislature knows it. This is one time that I truly believe the industry is SOL and will be rather powerless against the government. In the face of his total dedication to privatize, lay off, and "save", added to his blatant disregard of anyone but himself, he will do what he wants and the industry will have to shove it.

I'd watch this VERY closely and distrust any "positive" rumors heard in Tally.

07-22-2011, 08:14 AM
KYSAGB.

Between this and **** Scott's plan to deregulate businesses, ABT is royally screwed. Being professional at all times won't do much in the way of the Governor's "slash-and-burn" policies. Anything outside of alcohol/tobacco regulation can be (and is) done by the locals and (at times) even feds. Scott will even kick-in money to the locals for the enforcement, just not as much as ABT costs.

What's worse is that ABT's LE powers and take-home cars are not needed to complete its core mission, which can be accomplished via the use of inspectors, and the entire legislature knows it. This is one time that I truly believe the industry is SOL and will be rather powerless against the government. In the face of his total dedication to privatize, lay off, and "save", added to his blatant disregard of anyone but himself, he will do what he wants and the industry will have to shove it.

I'd watch this VERY closely and distrust any "positive" rumors heard in Tally.

Look for ABT to be merged into FDLE

07-22-2011, 11:32 AM
The days of Elliott Ness are gone, get rid of ABT, they are a joke. Keystone cops who think they are the real deal. Go find a real job and get to work!!

07-22-2011, 12:56 PM
We won't be done in altogether IF this happens, but if it does and your alpha number is below about 90, be looking for a new job!

07-22-2011, 01:00 PM
The days of Elliott Ness are gone, get rid of ABT, they are a joke. Keystone cops who think they are the real deal. Go find a real job and get to work!!
I'm retired and don't reall give a rat's ass.

07-22-2011, 01:58 PM
LONG Overdue.

Having a consolidated State Police agency will finally bring meaning to ALL of the state LEOS who have been languishing in medocre management who are all political hacks.

07-23-2011, 12:32 AM
Look for ABT to be merged into FDLE

I don't see that happening. Maybe a few people, but not any significant portion of the staff.

A - Surveys can be done by locals, and even inspectors.

B - Admin cases can be filed by any inspector or representative of ABT.

C - Drugs, prostitution, gambling, unlicensed sales, non-taxed, etc. can ALL be done by locals and inspectors.

D - ABT brings NO specialty to the table.

E - With only but a few exceptions, the beverage and tobacco laws are all misdemeanors.

F - The state has to constantly team-up with locals because it has no money or people for investigations.

07-23-2011, 12:35 AM
LONG Overdue.

Having a consolidated State Police agency will finally bring meaning to ALL of the state LEOS who have been languishing in medocre management who are all political hacks.

Don't kid yourself, top management and politics will never change, it will never change!!!

07-23-2011, 02:04 AM
Troopers are really the only agency I can see this happening to. EVERYTHING they do could be handled by sheriff's offices and municipal PD's. Traffic and S.4's ???

07-23-2011, 04:08 AM
Objectively speaking, please tell me what ABT and similar agencies do that can't be handled by the locals and state civilian inspectors? What specialized Law Enforcement function do we provide that isn't provided locally? Why does the state need an ABT-BLE?

These are some of the questions that will have to be answered in Tallahassee, and we had better be prepared to answer them thoroughly and with precision.

07-23-2011, 05:55 AM
Almost every State in the U.S. has some sort of alcohol enforcement agency though.

07-23-2011, 06:10 AM
Almost every State in the U.S. has some sort of alcohol enforcement agency though.

I'm well aware of that fact, but we're the only state with Governor Rick Scott, CEO of the slash-and-burn government corp.

Look, I don't want to see any agency's personnel get laid off, but the questions I posed are as real as they get. My questions are still unanswered, and if we can't answer them definitively, then that stands as proof that we should tread with caution, and keep as many doors open as possible.

07-23-2011, 06:48 AM

I'm well aware of that fact, but we're the only state with Governor Rick Scott, CEO of the slash-and-burn government corp.

Look, I don't want to see any agency's personnel get laid off, but the questions I posed are as real as they get. My questions are still unanswered, and if we can't answer them definitively, then that stands as proof that we should tread with caution, and keep as many doors open as possible.

You are right Tricky Ricky **** Scott is something else.

07-23-2011, 07:16 AM
I have read each of the above posts. Each post is valid in one way or another. The only thing that stands out more than anything else is that each State agency with law enforcement officers and powers are all in the same boat. There isn't one State agency that their duties couldn't be done by the local agencies. Our saving grace to this statement is, most local agencies don't want the additional work nor do those agencies have the additional manpower or funding to take on these tasks.

At this point in time, I believe that Sheriff's Association will be one of our greatest advocates in keeping the SLEO's with a job. Gov. Scott is a man with a plan no matter how detrimental it may be to us or our families. We have to hold on to this sinking ship until 2012 and hopefully the Lord with protect all SLEO'S from any further damage from our elected officials. We need to get involved and remind these officials that they work for us. Get your friends and family to remind the elected officials that they also helped to elect them and the officials will need our support and our family and friends support for re-election.

It is time that our elected officials start representing our agenda instead our their own. Will you participate in saving your job? Please contact your Representative and Senator and let them know how you feel. Personally go to Tallahassee and meet with them. If enough of us put a little effort into saving our jobs, we might make a difference. Thank you for your time.

07-23-2011, 01:48 PM
Is this not the function of the PBA? To protect our jobs, rights, benefits, etc.

We have had no raise in over five years and now we have lost an additional 3% of our pay. Next year we will probably lose more or pay more due to the current administration, and the PBA nor our state representatives will truly be there to help, because if there is no gain there is no reason to fight. State law enforcement agencies are some of the least paid throughout the state and the PBA has done nothing to change that, PBA and IUPA are/were both useless to state law enforcement officers.

07-25-2011, 02:00 PM
The post regarding the PBA is a very true statement. All members of the PBA should stop paying the PBA and put the money in the bank. I have been saying for a long time that you are paying the PBAA for nothing. You do not need the PBA. I have had dealing with the PBA, they are useless. zeros

07-25-2011, 07:39 PM
Word is that ABT is going to be abolished. In its stead will be Girl Scout Troop G which will take over inspections and surveys while at the same time being allowed to sell cookies. They will have the enforcement powers to collect sales taxes on their cookies thereby contributing more to the state's collection of revenue than ABT agents do. Since little girls of that tender age have no interest in going to Home Depot or Lowes, it is estimated that their productivity will far exceed what the present day slackers of ABT produce. Also, state vehicles will be replaced with state bicycles thereby saving tons of money that can be used to give all the governor's hacks a 10% raise. This transformation has the PBA's stamp of approval and awaits only the gov's signature. :evil:

07-26-2011, 12:51 AM
Word is that ABT is going to be abolished. In its stead will be Girl Scout Troop G which will take over inspections and surveys while at the same time being allowed to sell cookies. They will have the enforcement powers to collect sales taxes on their cookies thereby contributing more to the state's collection of revenue than ABT agents do. Since little girls of that tender age have no interest in going to Home Depot or Lowes, it is estimated that their productivity will far exceed what the present day slackers of ABT produce. Also, state vehicles will be replaced with state bicycles thereby saving tons of money that can be used to give all the governor's hacks a 10% raise. This transformation has the PBA's stamp of approval and awaits only the gov's signature. :evil:

The Lts and Capts are going to be assigned mules to ride. The Director, Majors, and Chief will ride donkeys. :cop: This inf is from the hairless man, :devil:

07-27-2011, 01:53 AM
DPS - Superintendent

Division of Investigations

ABT
BEI
Fire Marshal
Insurance Fraud
FDLE

Division of State Troopers/Patrol (COL)

FHP
DEP
FWC
AGLAW (If they survive)

07-27-2011, 01:50 PM
DPS - Superintendent

ABT
BEI
Fire Marshal
Insurance Fraud
FDLE

FHP
DEP
FWC
AGLAW (If they survive)
DPS - Superintendent

ABT
BEI
Fire Marshal
Insurance Fraud
FDLE

FHP
DEP
FWC
AGLAW (If they survive)

This looks like it might have promise? Where did you get your information from?

07-29-2011, 08:05 AM
[quote=Get Ready]DPS - Superintendent

ABT
BEI
Fire Marshal
Insurance Fraud
FDLE

FHP
DEP
FWC
AGLAW (If they survive)
DPS - Superintendent

ABT
BEI
Fire Marshal
Insurance Fraud
FDLE

FHP
DEP
FWC
AGLAW (If they survive)

This looks like it might have promise? Where did you get your information from?[/quote:15ukib73]
I think it was an educated guess by the poster

07-29-2011, 07:52 PM
Consolidate all you want. For those of us that are retired, we really don't care. Also, today (7/29/11) was payday and we got our 3% COLA. It always comes at the end of July.

07-30-2011, 11:56 AM
1. FDLE will never agree to taking you in - that issue was resolved during similar discussions in the 80's, and FDLE will be fighting to keep their current crop of agents employed.

2. I'll bet that you didn't know that your current Director is part of this, did you ? Did you not think it strange that he escaped Scott's axe ? Powell is still there to oversee the dismantling of the Beverage Department. Some of you may have noticed that as an agency you have become a little less responsive to requests for help from local agencies, particularly Sheriff's Offices. Scott learned that there is no greater political power in the State than the combined 66 Sheriffs who successfully fought off the FHP sub-contracting initiative. He is building antagonism toward the Dept from the Sheriffs so that they will push for Beverage's destruction, or at least not fight it...if you're smart you'll be out there cementing relationships with your sheriffs, supervisors be damned.

3. Why do you think Powell brought two Dothan Captains and Kunert and Kelly - they have no ties there, ready made hatchet men ?

4. Why do you think Powell is running for Sheriff in Escambia County ? (Hint: He knows there soon won't be a Beverage Dept to be Director of...)

07-30-2011, 01:25 PM
1. FDLE will never agree to taking you in - that issue was resolved during similar discussions in the 80's, and FDLE will be fighting to keep their current crop of agents employed.

2. I'll bet that you didn't know that your current Director is part of this, did you ? Did you not think it strange that he escaped Scott's axe ? Powell is still there to oversee the dismantling of the Beverage Department. Some of you may have noticed that as an agency you have become a little less responsive to requests for help from local agencies, particularly Sheriff's Offices. Scott learned that there is no greater political power in the State than the combined 66 Sheriffs who successfully fought off the FHP sub-contracting initiative. He is building antagonism toward the Dept from the Sheriffs so that they will push for Beverage's destruction, or at least not fight it...if you're smart you'll be out there cementing relationships with your sheriffs, supervisors be damned.

3. Why do you think Powell brought two Dothan Captains and Kunert and Kelly - they have no ties there, ready made hatchet men ?

4. Why do you think Powell is running for Sheriff in Escambia County ? (Hint: He knows there soon won't be a Beverage Dept to be Director of...)

I just read thi post on the FWC site:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Re: WILL THEY CHANGE OUR NAME IF WE MERGE WITH DEP?

by Guest » 07/29/11 22:22:05

I hear that ABT agents are going to be made non-sworn just like DOT weight inspectors!

Hvae a nice day

07-30-2011, 08:31 PM
You are all full of sh**. I heard from a reliable source that Scott likes ABT and wants our number of sworn increased. So settle down kids. ABT isn't going anywhere. I heard we will will be one of two LE agencies that stays autonomous from the others.

07-30-2011, 09:08 PM
You are all full of sh**. I heard from a reliable source that Scott likes ABT and wants our number of sworn increased. So settle down kids. ABT isn't going anywhere. I heard we will will be one of two LE agencies that stays autonomous from the others.
And yet another big hand for Lance [claps]

Thank you Lance...

07-30-2011, 09:46 PM

For ABT to be autonomous, it would have to sever its relationship with DBPR. That ain't gonna happen. Kinda strange that in order to be what it once was it would have to go back to what it once was.

07-31-2011, 12:38 AM

Thank you Lance...

nope... not lance, I'm a 15+ guy and earned my job here.

07-31-2011, 01:19 AM

Thank you Lance...

Reliable source ? Like Scott himself, because that's the only reliable source that I know when it comes to a Governor who HATES regulatory agencies....

07-31-2011, 12:55 PM

Thank you Lance...

Reliable source ? Like Scott himself, because that's the only reliable source that I know when it comes to a Governor who HATES regulatory agencies....

Get out there and regulate somebody's ass to jail. In other words.........get to work!

08-01-2011, 03:35 AM

Thank you Lance...

exactly

08-01-2011, 03:47 AM
Remaining as one of two "free-standing" agencies, separate from the other LE agencies will just put a larger target on ABT next year.

08-01-2011, 01:10 PM
Remaining as one of two "free-standing" agencies, separate from the other LE agencies will just put a larger target on ABT next year.
So, look at the upside of that scenaro. It will give you that much more time to look for another job. :D

08-01-2011, 08:05 PM
Does anyone no what happen at the 1st meeting of consolidation task force?

08-01-2011, 08:10 PM
1st agenda item was to eliminate us.

08-01-2011, 08:25 PM
Does anyone no what happen at the 1st meeting of consolidation task force?
Let us no if anybody nos.

08-01-2011, 09:43 PM

Easiest decision they had to make.

08-02-2011, 08:49 PM

Then why hasn't it been announced?

08-03-2011, 04:29 AM
It was the FIRST of various meetings to take place. There will be plenty of time to figure out just what will happen down the line. The PBA was present, and according to an email response I received from them, it is not in Julie Jones' plans to lay off anyone.

With that said, we all know that the consolidation cannot occur without (any) layoffs, especially at the supervisory level. **** Scott wants to deregulate business, which puts ABT in a very bad spot, and as I see it, if ABT-BLE sticks around in some form, it will be radically different than now. At the end of the day, the decision is beyond us, and the safest position to have is that of agent. LT's might escape relatively unscathed, but if the consolidation occurs, I see plenty of demotions with pay cuts, just like happened with the FHP/DOT merger.

08-03-2011, 12:17 PM

Then why hasn't it been announced?

It just never stops. Today we are here, tomorrow we are not, and so on. This agency has survived all these years for one reason, THE INDUSTRY. We will be the last ones standing.

08-03-2011, 01:37 PM
It was the FIRST of various meetings to take place. There will be plenty of time to figure out just what will happen down the line. The PBA was present, and according to an email response I received from them, it is not in Julie Jones' plans to lay off anyone.

With that said, we all know that the consolidation cannot occur without (any) layoffs, especially at the supervisory level. **** Scott wants to deregulate business, which puts ABT in a very bad spot, and as I see it, if ABT-BLE sticks around in some form, it will be radically different than now. At the end of the day, the decision is beyond us, and the safest position to have is that of agent. LT's might escape relatively unscathed, but if the consolidation occurs, I see plenty of demotions with pay cuts, just like happened with the FHP/DOT merger.
Please explain how you can reduce something that an agency does when if fact regarding ABT that would be nothing, to something less than nothing and say that it will survive.

08-03-2011, 05:47 PM

Please explain how you can reduce something that an agency does when if fact regarding ABT that would be nothing, to something less than nothing and say that it will survive.
Say what?
I think what you were trying to say was that ABT doesn't do anything so how can they do less than that?

08-19-2011, 05:44 PM
No consolidation for ABT--the bill currently drafted modifies Sec. 20.165 to remove the provision authorizing the agency to employee sworn personnel to enforce alcohol and tobacco laws. It is a done deal.

How can this happen, you ask? Why ABT?

For the shrewd investigators among you this comes as no shock. The Governor's transition team made two primary observations regarding ABT:

1) you can't maintain a decent vehicle fleet

2) you and the relevancy of your mission are dubious in modern times.

Oh, and the division has made how many substantive criminal arrests during this calendar year? What's that? Underage possession arrests you say? Sorry, I said "substantive" arrests. And the city/county operations yield more results than you do...

08-19-2011, 08:43 PM
No consolidation for ABT--the bill currently drafted modifies Sec. 20.165 to remove the provision authorizing the agency to employee sworn personnel to enforce alcohol and tobacco laws. It is a done deal.

For the shrewd investigators among you this comes as no shock. The Governor's transition team made two primary observations regarding ABT:

Oh, and the division has made how many substantive criminal arrests during this calendar year? What's that? Underage possession arrests you say? Sorry, I said "substantive" arrests. And the city/county operations yield more results than you do...

Nice try getting folks ramped up a$$hole... unfortunately, for a miserable person like yorself, some folks like myself know better. Not only are we not part of consolidating from what I'm told... there is SERIOUS talk about increasing our sworn personnel.

Keep spinning your sh** though. Pretty creative!

08-19-2011, 09:34 PM

Nice try getting folks ramped up a$$hole... unfortunately, for a miserable person like yorself, some folks like myself know better. Not only are we not part of consolidating from what I'm told... there is SERIOUS talk about increasing our sworn personnel.

Keep spinning your sh** though. Pretty creative!

An earlier poster stated that in effect, ABT would be reorganized. I've copied (and pasted) it here for re-examination. This sounds more logicial to me than any other explanation:

Word is that ABT is going to be abolished. In its stead will be Girl Scout Troop G which will take over inspections and surveys while at the same time being allowed to sell cookies. They will have the enforcement powers to collect sales taxes on their cookies thereby contributing more to the state's collection of revenue than ABT agents do. Since little girls of that tender age have no interest in going to Home Depot or Lowes, it is estimated that their productivity will far exceed what the present day slackers of ABT produce. Also, state vehicles will be replaced with state bicycles thereby saving tons of money that can be used to give all the governor's hacks a 10% raise. This transformation has the PBA's stamp of approval and awaits only the gov's signature.

08-20-2011, 01:08 PM
consolidation is being considered by a committee who must report mid next year to the governor their findings.....then it goes to the legislature to vote on.....ALL law enforcement is being considered for consolidation.....not just us.....but we are not being voted out so quick trying to get everyone into a panic.....as i've said before and will say again.....they want us here....they being the alcohol industry as well as the legislature and governor

08-21-2011, 01:44 PM
consolidation is being considered by a committee who must report mid next year to the governor their findings.....then it goes to the legislature to vote on.....ALL law enforcement is being considered for consolidation.....not just us.....but we are not being voted out so quick trying to get everyone into a panic.....as i've said before and will say again.....they want us here....they being the alcohol industry as well as the legislature and governor
Corkie and his "best director ever" wants us here also. How U doing today Cork? Still got your nose where the sun don't shine? :devil:

08-21-2011, 05:05 PM
Corkie and his "best director ever" wants us here also. How U doing today Cork? Still got your nose where the sun don't shine? :devil:

Hey Corkie: I heard you still had your nose where the sun don't shine. Is this true. The D said you were good. Maybe you will be his chief deputy. Not. Him being elected sheriff is a big joke. Just watch and see :devil:

08-30-2011, 04:29 PM
First of all, Ill say right up front Im not a cop....23 years military but NOT a cop.
That being said, I think yall are looking at this from the wrong angle. Do you really believe that the powers that be care about how many busts you make or how well you do your job? If you do then have another cup of coffee cause youre still asleep.

" Management" is the same whether public or private sector.... money. The minute that they feel that the cash they spend on you would be more profitable elsewhere, you will be gone. If keeping the FHP in business buys me more votes and a nice vacation in Bermuda the the FHP stays, if it doesnt, the money goes where it will! Follow the money gentlemen!

08-30-2011, 04:40 PM
BTW... I used the FHP as an example only...dont want to get anyone bent out of shape!

08-30-2011, 06:23 PM
First of all, Ill say right up front Im not a cop....23 years military but NOT a cop.
That being said, I think yall are looking at this from the wrong angle. Do you really believe that the powers that be care about how many busts you make or how well you do your job? If you do then have another cup of coffee cause youre still asleep.

" Management" is the same whether public or private sector.... money. The minute that they feel that the cash they spend on you would be more profitable elsewhere, you will be gone. If keeping the FHP in business buys me more votes and a nice vacation in Bermuda the the FHP stays, if it doesnt, the money goes where it will! Follow the money gentlemen!

Believe me when I say this............. We really believe (and care) what you say and think. :evil:

08-30-2011, 06:44 PM
Sorry to have bothered you. Im probably wrong anyway. With your attitude they most likely want rid of you for other reasons.

Semper Fi asshole.

08-30-2011, 08:40 PM
Don't let that idiot get you down...you're right, and it has nothing to do with being a cop or not. The most famous line in Forrest Gump (next to "Jennaey") is "Stupid is as stupid does", and that line applies to government work at every level. It's never about what's right and what's wrong, just what they want, no matter the cost.

You started off by saying that you're not a cop; don't worry, the majority of the agents in this agency aren't either. We have our good ones for sure, but the bulk of these agents have no earthly idea what it really means to be a cop.

Thanks for your service to our country.

Semper Fi, and Ilegitimi Non Carborundum!

08-30-2011, 10:13 PM
Sorry to have bothered you. Im probably wrong anyway. With your attitude they most likely want rid of you for other reasons.

Semper Fi asshole.

Having a bad attitude is what keeps you alive in this work place because for sure, no one has your back. As for your Semper Fi remark.................I've got your Semper Fi hanging. Take that personally, not directed to the Marine Corp but you're probably a "leg" which is a term you may (or may not know)) If you do know the term, then you know a little of my background which is to say at a personal level, blow it out your ass. If by chance you were in Marine Recon then perhaps you're not a leg and we might be able to talk turkey? I'm as proud of my service as you are yours so on that note, we're OK

08-31-2011, 12:16 AM
LEG?

Youd be surprised at my qualifications.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q55/ssgt1/MARSOC_LOGO.jpg

08-31-2011, 02:07 AM

I would agree with that statement and as of late it seems that as an agency we are getting further and further from actually enforcing laws. The "Management" (Who are at the will of the governor, in drop and nearing retirement) are blocking the majority of major cases that even the good/bad agents are trying to make. As the years go by I watch enforcement of laws inside of licensed premise get less and less administrative prosecution.

Part of which I will blame the governor's "Pro Business" mentality, but the other portion of it is our current management has no vested interest, loyalty, and I sometimes wonder about the moral turpitude they have (if any), they are all either short timers or looking for the their next step out/up.

09-03-2011, 10:32 PM
LEG?

Youd be surprised at my qualifications.
You might be right and if so, then we're on the same page. It appears that you're familiar with the term "leg" so that, along with your Marine Special Ops emblem, I will ASSUME (that's a proposition I rarely do) that you're ariborne qualified. If that's the case, then we're brothers and it's you and me against "them", whoever the hell they may be. Today, I think the Navy Seals are the cream of the crop and when I was a young whippersnapper I do believe that I could have made it save for one issue. I'm a native Floridian and I don't think I could have made it through that ice water BS unless somebody there told me that I couldn't do it. That was my pole star in getting through airborne trainning. Many of I my high school buddies laughed at me and said I couldn't make it so since I did make it, they can kiss my ass. Thanks for your service and hopefully, from time to time someone will come along and say just that.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q55/ssgt1/MARSOC_LOGO.jpg

09-06-2011, 03:18 PM
If you are thumping your chest with that emblem on an Internet forum chances are more often than not, you are a poser. ABT has probably more people than MARSOC does so from a management perspective you have zero sway with the argument regarding the subject at hand.

The thread is regarding the state consolidating overlapping agencies into a larger and hopefully more relevant law enforcement agency. Florida struggles with that and the decentralization is a part of why.

09-06-2011, 10:14 PM
If you are thumping your chest with that emblem on an Internet forum chances are more often than not, you are a poser. ABT has probably more people than MARSOC does so from a management perspective you have zero sway with the argument regarding the subject at hand.

The thread is regarding the state consolidating overlapping agencies into a larger and hopefully more relevant law enforcement agency. Florida struggles with that and the decentralization is a part of why.

ABT probably has only a few people that have a military experience or background. If, however, those few came from a specialized military unit such as MARSOC or Army Airborne, then they have a quality about their demeanor that translates into dicipline, respect for authority and unit cohesiveness.
Those not having experienced the military training involved with Special Ops units would not understand the significance or importance of being a part of a specialized unit which begs the question: what does any of this have to do with ABT? Certainly, it makes no sense to have people with these qualifications out there conducting inspections or surveys. Overkill to say the least. I think the issue here regarding reference to the military comes from someone who has that past experience. When that person is exposed to conditions currently reflective of ABT's mission (as compared to its past history) and its current day makeup of people unmotivated, there is disappointment and uncertainty about that individual's future. If some type of change is forthcoming that a motivated individual can hang his hat on, then it's easy to understand that person's hope that consolidation of the state's law enforcement agencies would be a good thing. Just thinking out loud.

Bar fly

09-06-2011, 11:04 PM
No good will come from consolidation. Let's look at the facts. A non-sworn investigator can do what the average agent does for half the cost. You know it and the consolidation working group knows it. The need for badge carrying gun toting law enforcement investigators has diminished each year for the last 30 years. It has happened despite efforts to reverse the trend and there is nothing that can be done now. The current governor will administer the final blow and history will be made. It isn't about what Florida needs. It is about what Florida is willing to pay for. Law enforcement is necessary but not important. If you don't believe that, watch what happens next spring. I am a realist and I see nothing good coming our way. I hope I am proved wrong.

09-07-2011, 01:46 PM
No good will come from consolidation. Let's look at the facts. A non-sworn investigator can do what the average agent does for half the cost. You know it and the consolidation working group knows it. The need for badge carrying gun toting law enforcement investigators has diminished each year for the last 30 years. It has happened despite efforts to reverse the trend and there is nothing that can be done now. The current governor will administer the final blow and history will be made. It isn't about what Florida needs. It is about what Florida is willing to pay for. Law enforcement is necessary but not important. If you don't believe that, watch what happens next spring. I am a realist and I see nothing good coming our way. I hope I am proved wrong.

I don't think that it's a matter of "proving you wrong." In all probability, you're right. From my perspective, the one bright light in the darkness of ABT's possible demise is that the agents have police certification and therefore a continued career in law enforcement will become an indiviual matter of becoming an officer of a different stripe. This of course will hinge on the mindset and determination of the individual and in that vein I give you the wisdom of an anonymous source:

"Who we are never changes.
What we are is always changing."
~Unknown

Bar fly

09-07-2011, 03:41 PM
Correction

I got the above quote ass backwards. It should read:

"What we are never changes.
Who we are is always changing."

Bar fly

09-07-2011, 03:58 PM
hey bar fly, do you think we can consolidate JP into the SO before the election. he is driving us in a downward spiral.

09-07-2011, 05:52 PM
hey bar fly, do you think we can consolidate JP into the SO before the election. he is driving us in a downward spiral.

Well, if you take some lessons from ACORN you might be able to garner enuff votes to do that. :snicker:

09-21-2011, 10:06 PM
Whatever happened to the post(s) about So. Florida being in turmoil and oswannie running rudshod over people and Lts asking for demotions etc. I know the mod deleted the original thread but why isn't anybody saying anything?

09-22-2011, 12:07 AM
I GUESS THE POST WAS DELETED BECAUSE THE TRUTH HURTS!!! The mess in the South Region and the Central region is disgusting. Time will tell if the Sec' will make some much needed changes.

09-22-2011, 01:17 PM
I GUESS THE POST WAS DELETED BECAUSE THE TRUTH HURTS!!! The mess in the South Region and the Central region is disgusting. Time will tell if the Sec' will make some much needed changes.
The mod tod won't allow anything about oswannie to be posted. Nothing will happen to her while DP is acting director. We need someone with a pair of kahuans to clean up this sorry excuse of an agency.

09-22-2011, 10:10 PM

Can't say about the southern region, but the demotion in the central region was long over due. BB has been a problem since he got here.

09-22-2011, 10:24 PM
Whatever happened to the post(s) about So. Florida being in turmoil and oswannie running rudshod over people and Lts asking for demotions etc. I know the mod deleted the original thread but why isn't anybody saying anything?

I SAY OSWANNIE FOR DIRECTOR! THE SOUTH HAS THE LARGEST NUMBER OF SLUGS IN THE STATE. SHE IS CLEANING HOUSE SO WATCH OUT.

06-24-2013, 04:07 AM
Spoke to my senator today, changes are a coming... get ready.

06-24-2013, 12:28 PM
Yep... I heard that 15 years ago... I'm still here a$$hole! :devil:

06-24-2013, 12:52 PM
Spoke to my senator today, changes are a coming... get ready.
Where the hell have you been? This place changed many years ago from 1st class to last class bunch of do nothings.

06-24-2013, 02:31 PM
When are your Dimwits going to get it through your thick skulls that ALL State Police Agencies with the exception of FDLE are part of a larger REGULATORY Agency. Our ability to enforce the laws applicable to our mission depends entirely on the regulatory side of the house. They are in control and we are just their Bogie Men. We are not cops; we are regulators with guns.

:roll:

06-24-2013, 09:29 PM
When are your Dimwits going to get it through your thick skulls that ALL State Police Agencies with the exception of FDLE are part of a larger REGULATORY Agency. Our ability to enforce the laws applicable to our mission depends entirely on the regulatory side of the house. They are in control and we are just their Bogie Men. We are not cops; we are regulators with guns.

:roll:
None of what you profess has ever stopped me from "regulating" someone's ass to jail for whatever violation that I witnessed him/her commit in my presence nor has it stood in the way of my having obtained an arrest warrant and serving the same so what's your point? :cop:

06-25-2013, 01:28 AM
WAKE UP. FWC, DEP, even FHP for the most part... REGULATORS... of civil and non-criminal stuff.

06-25-2013, 01:25 PM
WAKE UP. FWC, DEP, even FHP for the most part... REGULATORS... of civil and non-criminal stuff.
Do you have a life? :snicker: Apparently not. :mrgreen:

06-27-2013, 02:07 AM
Like puppets on a string.