PDA

View Full Version : Bill Grove for Sheriff

06-02-2011, 09:21 PM
Candidate vows to up deputies' pay

BY ADAM LINHARDT Citizen Staff
alinhardt@keysnews.com

Retaining deputies amid the high cost of living in the Florida Keys and keeping their morale up are key issues facing the Monroe County Sheriff's Office, according to a former deputy and sheriff's candidate.

Edwin "Bill" Grove, 42, a law enforcement instructor at Florida Keys Community College and a State Attorney's Office investigator, is the only candidate so far to challenge Sheriff Bob Peryam in 2012.

"I understand it's going to be an uphill battle, and that's one of the reasons I filed so early," Grove said. "Bob is a nice guy and a very likable person and he's very popular with citizens, but morale at the agency is the worst it's been in a long time when we start talking about those issues."

Peryam declined to comment, saying it's too early to begin discussing politics and the upcoming race. Peryam last year worked with the Monroe County Commission to get corrections and patrol deputies making less than $70,000 a 4 percent raise and 2 percent bonus, after three years of no raises and at a time when other county employees were not receiving raises.

Grove said if he wins, he won't ask the County Commission to increase the Sheriff's Office budget, but will find a way to increase deputies' pay by restructuring the department while still providing the "same level of excellent service."

Grove was not ready, however, to say how he intends to do that. "I think some inspired leadership will go a long way, but I really don't want to get into specifics at this time," he said.

Grove's father was in the Army and his parents hail from northern Florida, but he spent much of his early life outside the state before moving back in 1996, when he began his six-year tenure working with the Florida Department of Corrections.

Grove then studied law enforcement and became an officer with the Miccosukee police in Miami-Dade County before joining the Sheriff's Office in January 2005. He remained there until May 2010, when he joined the State Attorney's Office in Tavernier.

During his time with the Sheriff's Office, Grove worked mainly in the Upper Keys as a road patrol deputy and a narcotics detective, also in the Upper Keys.

"There was a small group of us (deputies) who had been talking about a candidate," Grove said. "When several people decided not to, I decided I would do it."

Grove downplayed his 2008 demotion back to road patrol after another narcotics detective accused him of slapping a handcuffed suspect and calling him a profane name, according to Internal Affairs documents. Internal Affairs sustained allegations that Grove used unnecessary force and profanity, and he was suspended for five days, ordered to undergo anger management classes and received a letter of reprimand in his personnel file.

"I'm not upset about that and I'm not going to cry over spilled milk," Grove said. "There's nothing I can do about that, other than to challenge it legally. I didn't believe that would help me and (would) only tarnish the Sheriff's Office."

Grove said he left the Sheriff's Office nearly two years later not because of that incident, but because the State Attorney's Office offered better health benefits for his children. He is married with three young children.

"It goes back to why I'm running," Grove said. "I couldn't afford to pay for the insurance for my children through the Sheriff's Office, and that's something we need to fix. We need to keep deputies here after we train them and get our money's worth. Keeping them improves safety and quality of life in our communities."

Peryam is serving his first term after winning the 2008 election after longtime Sheriff Rick Roth retired.

06-03-2011, 02:00 AM
Has my vote.

06-04-2011, 04:46 PM
Great news. Good luck Mr. Grove, hope you can really help these deputies out. Having lived in Miami all my life and now retired in the Keys, some persons just do not know how good the MCSO's "customer service" is. But I also speak to the officers of Marathon, and they are stuck in the 1980's. A change will really lift the morals of the road patrol officers. You also have my vote (Retired CGPD Officer)!

06-06-2011, 01:33 AM
Great news. Good luck Mr. Grove, hope you can really help these deputies out. Having lived in Miami all my life and now retired in the Keys, some persons just do not know how good the MCSO's "customer service" is. But I also speak to the officers of Marathon, and they are stuck in the 1980's. A change will really lift the morals of the road patrol officers. You also have my vote (Retired CGPD Officer)!

I appreciate your kind words of support. I work in sectors 4 and 5, and have been here long enough to remember Sheriff Freeman in the 80's. However BG is not the answer, Freeman would have booted him out as well.

I am not sure who will run but one thing is sure, unless there is a wholesale change from captains on up on the LE side, nothing will change.

I supported Bob but will not this time.

06-06-2011, 07:16 PM
BG was not booted out by anyone. The blog you quote was not wishing for the good old days, I believe they were refering to the lack of progress in Marathon and within the agency. If you indeed where around when Sheriff Freeman was here you are clearly one of the two Sgt's in Marathon. If Bob is not the answer why would BG not be? If you believe the problem is with the senior leadership as I do, then why not give BG a chance?

06-07-2011, 03:45 AM
BG was not booted out by anyone. The blog you quote was not wishing for the good old days, I believe they were refering to the lack of progress in Marathon and within the agency. If you indeed where around when Sheriff Freeman was here you are clearly one of the two Sgt's in Marathon. If Bob is not the answer why would BG not be? If you believe the problem is with the senior leadership as I do, then why not give BG a chance?

Record,
I am not a SGT. I am not sure what SM's hire date is but I don't think any of the 5 Sergeants in Marathon worked under Freeman. The only Sergeant who worked under Freeman is RR in Sector one. I am also not the LT or Capt , both of them worked for Freeman. Remember there are a lot of cops in Sector 4 and not just the SO but any off the other agencies or divisions based in Marathon.

My point is BG is not the person to lead the MCSO out of wilderness that Defoor, Roth and now Peryam have the SO wandering around in. Neither are any of the current Captains and above. I have worked with BG and in My Opinion he is not the answer, your mileage will vary, that is the great thing about opinions.

There will be more candidates announcing within the next year, my choice is to wait and see.

My preference is someone from outside the agency, but someone UNLIKE KEN DAVIS, we need someone who has local experience in dealing with local issues. I remember the eighties differently I guess from you. Sheriff Freeman came into office and rooted out the corruption and ran our department as a professional business. He instituted regular performance reviews and merit raises ( he butted heads every year with the County Commission on this issue), Deputies drove a new patrol car every two years, promotions were based on assessment centers not political affiliations. I could go on and on, but you get the point. Do any of these *****es sound familiar? They should since these are what I hear deputies complaining about the most.

So stay safe.

06-07-2011, 01:10 PM
Sector 4,

I also worked with BG and had spoken with him about the election. I think the two of you share opinions about problems with th agency. I think you are right about ken Davies not being the answer. We both know Bob is not. I only wish we could bring you over to help us support BG. I hope we can all stick together on this, because if we support several different canidates bob gets it again and that certainly won't be good for us. Grove in 12. Be safe

06-14-2011, 01:51 PM
I think we should be out with the old and in with the new. Bob hasn't done anything to boose morale, in fact morale is probably at an all time low. I would love to stay in this department but it's just getting harder to justify the pay. On top of that, you never know who's going to be your partner because either they get moved around or leave. You should be able to trust you life with someone you work with but you never know that person. Hopefully it will be Bill Grove but if it's not, we can't keep on with the bubbas. We must get Bob out.

06-14-2011, 03:50 PM
From reading these posts, it would appear that an overwhelming majority of us, have NO DESIRE to see current administration someone in their likeness take the lead at MCSO. To say comment that BG would not be the answer is a little premature I think. He has barely started his campaign and to judge him based on 1 newspaper article hardly fair. Heck, I feel he came off well in the article anyway. It would appear that the only people that would oppose BG in 2012 after this short a campaign would be ones that have something to hide themselves and they know they would be exposed for their misgivings should BG be elected. Lucky for them, I am sure BG will not act as randomly or with as little regard for citizens (and deputies/corrections) as the current administration. Let's at least give BG a chance to tell us what he is about before we pass judgment. We have had PLENTY of information provided to us by the current administration to form an opinion (for the good or bad) now let's give BG the same respect and opportunity.

06-14-2011, 04:11 PM
The Monroe County Sheriff's Office needs a real leader not another bubba. This department needs real change. From the bottom to the top we need change. The next sheriff needs to get rid of all the worthless bottom feeding lazy deputies from sector 1 to Ocean Reef and All Lieutenants and Captains making six figures who come in to work when they want, take lunch and go home for the day. Our agency has to many chiefs and very few Indians. Because of the bubba systems Peryam and the gutless administration below him always manage to promote the wrong person for the job and they always fail to take appropriate measures when one of its own breaks the law and tarnishes our badge. I don't pretend to know who the next Sheriff is going to be but I do know that we cant afford another bubba. We need change and we need it now... Enough with the sudden knee jerk reactions, enough with baby sitting us using the Arbitrator. Enough of letting their chosen ones get away with adultery, stealing and lying. Enough... We need a Sheriff who is going to watch out for his deputies. DO THE RIGHT THING FOR THE RIGHT REASON ALL THE TIME are not words that Sheriff Peryam lives by. To him they are just words that got him elected. He fed on our desire, thirst and need for change. He made a lot of promises and has kept none. Sheriff Peryam is a true politician, but what we need and what the citizens of Monroe County need in 2012 is a real Sheriff. A Sheriff that keeps his promises, one who watches out for his deputies. A Sheriff who can get rid of the bubba system and one who is not afraid to get his hands dirty. What we need and what the great citizens of Monroe County need is GROVE in 2012.

06-14-2011, 07:42 PM
The Monroe County Sheriff's Office needs a real leader not another bubba. This department needs real change. From the bottom to the top we need change. The next sheriff needs to get rid of all the worthless bottom feeding lazy deputies from sector 1 to Ocean Reef and All Lieutenants and Captains making six figures who come in to work when they want, take lunch and go home for the day. Our agency has to many chiefs and very few Indians. Because of the bubba systems Peryam and the gutless administration below him always manage to promote the wrong person for the job and they always fail to take appropriate measures when one of its own breaks the law and tarnishes our badge. I don't pretend to know who the next Sheriff is going to be but I do know that we cant afford another bubba. We need change and we need it now... Enough with the sudden knee jerk reactions, enough with baby sitting us using the Arbitrator. Enough of letting their chosen ones get away with adultery, stealing and lying. Enough... We need a Sheriff who is going to watch out for his deputies. DO THE RIGHT THING FOR THE RIGHT REASON ALL THE TIME are not words that Sheriff Peryam lives by. To him they are just words that got him elected. He fed on our desire, thirst and need for change. He made a lot of promises and has kept none. Sheriff Peryam is a true politician, but what we need and what the citizens of Monroe County need in 2012 is a real Sheriff. A Sheriff that keeps his promises, one who watches out for his deputies. A Sheriff who can get rid of the bubba system and one who is not afraid to get his hands dirty. What we need and what the great citizens of Monroe County need is GROVE in 2012.

Please, what happeneds when all BG dirty Laudry comes out?

07-06-2011, 03:26 PM
If by dirty laundry you are referring to the IA Investigation in which BG was accused of using excessive force....well then let's take a look....... The subject who BG battered, a suspect who had just been found with ten pounds of marijuana in his studio apt, was handcuffed behind his back and sitting in his taxi. BG said the suspect was showing signs of getting ready to flee and he struck him once to prevent this from happening. The suspect wrote a sworn written statement on the scene stating he did not want to press charges, at the urging of Sgt AR. The suspect was contacted by the Sao and IA investigators and stated he did not wish to speak with them and o ly that "I must have done something to make that cop hit me". Sgt AR from the beginning was the one who filed the IA complaint. Sgt AR lied in his sworn taped statement to ia and contradicted himself by changing his version of events in two separate interviews. But the important part of this is when asked if he saw BG strike the suspect he answered yes when asked if he saw the entire incident he replied yes. When asked what hand BG used to strike the suspect he answered "I don't know". When asked was it a closed fist or open fist he answered "I don't know". Was it a backhand or forehand. "I don't k ow it happened so fast all I saw was he head go back and his glasses fly off". This is the only witness to the incident besides BG and he admits he didnt see it. After searing under oath he saw the hole thing. BG admitted striking the suspect and gAve the justification why he had to do it BG was still found guilty of this and fought it all the wAy to the undersheriff who found him guilty but removed the disapline thus preventing BG from taking the case to binding arbitration. We all know how well the sheriffs office has done with that process Anytime an outside professional looks at the sheriffs office's case they get over turned. So ask yourself why did the undersheriff take away the discipline. BG told the undersheriff " if you believe I did this you should fire me. If I was you and I believed a deputy working for me did this I would fire him".

So is that the dirty laundry you are referring to. I don't think BG has a problem talking about that at all. Or the reasons he was put in that position. Be safe Grove on 2012

07-06-2011, 07:22 PM
Ok, so I'm just asking. Is Bill Grove qualified to run an agency the size of the SO? I'm not saying that he isn't, not saying that he is. I don't know and would like to find out.

07-06-2011, 08:30 PM
Not a bad question....what qualifications do the people running it now have? BP was the former captain in marathon where he was in charge of a Lt four sgt's and maybe sixteen deputies. So 21 people. I think the important thing is to no know everything there is to know about running a sheriffs office. But maybe it's to have the ability to understand that you have to have people who have the knowledge to run it and your job as sheriff is to be able to trust your people and lead. Set the example as sheriff with your integrity and leadership and trust your people. Because you as sheriff are responsible for the action and in action of all of your people. However one man or woman can't run the sheriffs office alone. The problem with the current administration is a lack of defined leadership. BP is the sheriff or is it still Roth or is it RR or LC. No one is sure. Most public events ate attended by RR where is the sheriff, yet when it comes to threatening a deputies job BP and RR do that together. BP is a figure head with a huge ego. Therefore he can't make public events but he must be there to show his power and viscousness. He can't make an appearance at a memorial for a fallen deputy but he will personally threaten his living deputies. To make sure they remain in fear of his almighty power. BP does not have the support of his own deputies but he does own their fear. He is a very angry man who is no above ruining his deputies careers to retain his kingdom.

I got off topic to answer your question Grove has never been above the rank of Sgt he has supervised more than 21 people before and pocesses none of the abilities described above that are attributed to BP. He does lack the super sized ego that is cripling BP 's administration. Grove does plan to delegate key leadership positions to law enforcement professionals currently with the SO and outside the SO. However if you don't believe me watch the election you will see very few deputies supporting grove because of fear of retaliation from BP But I bet if you ask deputies privately they will tell you BP and his administration is a complete failure Be safe Grove in 12

07-12-2011, 04:03 PM
I have to agree. Wait until his dirty laundry gets out. Sleeping with underage explorers, deputies' wives, sleeping with new hires. Wife swapping/swinging.

I apologize. I thought we were talking about the current admin.

BG in 12!

07-31-2011, 07:16 PM
As a long time resident with close ties to the MCSO, I remember a time when there was a leader with strong moral character, who was fair and played no political games. I'm speaking of retired Captain Bob Wilkinson who lead both PK and Marathon. I think we should bring him out of retirement and give him a chance to bring back a sense of duty and integrity to the MCSO. Besides the fact he has so much dirty history on the current administration and he is above using it. No one is perfect, there is no perfect candidate, it will have to be someone who can bring together the agency and community.

Bob Wilkinson in 2012

08-18-2011, 03:16 PM
I agree we need a leader who will be fair and bridge the gap between the community and the department. Unfortunately Capt Wilkinson's son is in his mid fifties and about to retire. I don't think even if he was alive he is interested in the job. It's hard for the department to bridge the gap with the community with officers leaving after two years because of low pay, bad health benefits and mostly because they are all treated poorly by the current administration. The administration that has not changed from Roth to Peryam. Deputies in the department supported Bob because we believed he would remove the poisonous undersheriff and his high school buddies who run this agency and have for years. Creating a huge morale problem with their treatment of anyone who didn't attend Marathon High school. Only promoting buddies and creating a whole different set of rules for the marathon mafia. These guys purchase items from sheriffs sales for their own profit. We all remember the "engines don't work" sign placed on a boat by the know ia commander. Only to purchase the boat himself and sell it at a huge profit. The sheriffs office is great if you are in the right group. Bob did not fix this problem it continues to this day with the same group