PDA

View Full Version : IS the SSO taking over SPD?

02-23-2011, 05:02 PM
I think so, soon.

02-23-2011, 08:27 PM
If we take you over, then it sucks to be you!!! All those years of contract building will be flushed down your toilet and you'll have the rights of a sheriff's deputy, which is none. :roll: As the sheriff's deputy, you can be suspended up to 40 hours and there is NOTHING that you can do about it. If you're suspended for more than 40 hours or if you're fired, then you can appeal it with a watered down "career service board" made up of five sheriff's deputies: Three of them are appointed by the sheriff and the other two are appointed by the accused deputy and you will need 3+ votes to win your job back. You can see where this is going! :roll: It's really too bad that SPD has been or is going to be busted, but if there is any way that SPD can stay independent of the Sarasota Sheriff's Office, then you'll be better off. Remember: It was ILLEGAL for the sheriff's deputies to unionize until the 21st Century!!! If that doesn't give you a wake-up call on how backwards it is in Florida's sheriff's offices, then you'll find out the hard way when you get hired by us -- if we hire you. There is no guarantee that all of SPD's officers will get hired. Most will make the cut, but not all. A consolidation would be good, but this won't be a consolidation. It will be a "takeover" and your commissioners won't bat an eye. :roll: Tom Knight is the current sheriff and he's a royal hothead. He has a GREAT personality, but once he gets pissed, then watch out!!! More sheriff's deputies have been punished and fired in Knightmare's two year reign than under the last few sheriffs. If you have any blemishes in your SPD jackets, then good luck on getting hired. Tom Knight was previously arrested for disorderly conduct, but that was due to his being a hothead. It looks like the Knightmare will be spreading from the unincorporated county into the municipal city limits. :shock: When will the Knightmare end? If you know of any good Sarasota GOP Republican who can run against the Knightmare in the next election, start whispering into the ears of the Republican bosses. You can only win the upcoming election with the the support of the Sarasota GOP. Electing a SPD command staff officer might help us all.

02-23-2011, 11:32 PM
He felt dead inside, he could never escape that simple fact - inside, dead.

And that was his life. So he comes on to LEO Affairs to complain about his employer to try to make himself feel better, but it never works…….people see thru his lies and venom…….and he is never happy……………………….….because he’s just dead inside.

02-24-2011, 04:17 AM
He felt dead inside, he could never escape that simple fact - inside, dead.

And that was his life. So he comes on to LEO Affairs to complain about his employer to try to make himself feel better, but it never works…….people see thru his lies and venom…….and he is never happy……………………….….because he’s just dead inside.

Haaaaaaaaa sort of like the lies and venom that comes from the 2nd floor at the Sarasota S/O???? The truth stings!!!

02-24-2011, 04:38 AM
When I come back, just for fun, the subject will be alternative history. Specifically, how you would have been a different person if you would have been born with a brain.

02-24-2011, 04:44 AM
Federal courts have ruled that sheriff deputies do NOT have a legal right to continued employment under the Florida police officer bill of rights. You can read about it in section 97.021(3), 106.011(16) FSS.

In 1992, the Florida legislature specifically stated that in section 112.532(2) does NOT apply to Florida sheriff deputies.

The horror stories that you hear are true.

02-24-2011, 03:06 PM
Wow, SSO election politics is already bleeding over into SPD's forum!!! No surprise here!!! :shock:

02-24-2011, 11:51 PM
Sheriff Knight and Chief Hollaway at the Tiger Bay Club on March 3rd.
Ask them!

02-25-2011, 12:55 AM
If Hollaway has a uniform on please take a picture so we know what he looks like. Thanks.

02-27-2011, 11:12 AM
Pensions to outweigh revenue
Date: February 24, 2011 - by: Robin Roy | City Editor – Sarasota Observer
For the first time in Sarasota’s history, City Hall’s pension obligations will cost more than tax revenue will generate, according to city projections.

“This is the biggest issue the commission will face this decade, ” said City Manager Bob Bartolotta.
Next fiscal year, the city expects to pay $16.8 million in retirement benefits to general employees and police officers, as well as contributing to the county’s fire department pensions.

At the same time, it is expecting to take in $14.9 million of ad valorem tax revenue in the general fund.
Those projections are based on the assumption that property values will decrease by 8% next year and the millage remains steady at 2.7771.

Mayor Kelly Kirschner believes drastic measures will be needed if nothing changes.

“You either start eliminating great numbers of staff or raise taxes,” he said.

The city is currently negotiating with the teamsters union, which covers nearly all non-management city employees.

Its negotiations with the police union are currently at an impasse and are going to a special magistrate.

If either side rejects the ruling, city commissioners will impose a one-year contract, and the commission has already advocated changing to a 401(k)-style plan.

Much of the consternation at City Hall centers on police pensions.

But police union President Sgt. **** McHale said there’s a good reason Sarasota police officers receive the pension benefits they do.

“I don’t think the public is aware that police officers don’t pay into Social Security,” he said.

If they don’t take another job that does pay into Social Security, they will not receive Social Security benefits upon retirement.

McHale said pensions are the only safety blanket officers have.

“When you’re asking men and women to risk their lives, it’s only fair the city gives some assurances to guarantee the officer can sustain his standard of living upon retirement,” he said.

03-02-2011, 01:39 PM
THE DEAL IS BEING BROKERED AT THIS VERY TIME. THE CITY MANAGER AND COMMISSIONERS WANT THIS MORE THAN ANYTHING. IT IS EASY TO SEE THAT IN EVERYTHING THEY DO REGARDING THE POLICE DEPT., POLICE PANELS, COMPLIANT PANELS, CORRUPTION EXPERTS, DOWNSIZING, TAKING AWAY BENIFITS TO THE POINT YOU CANT EVEN GET ANYONE QUALIFIED TO APPLY. THE RECENT EMAIL FROM CAPT. BONNER " ARE THERE ANY AREAS WE CAN CONTRACT OUT SERVICES" THOSE ARE WORDS RIGHT FROM THE CITY MANAGERS MOUTH, BUT THATS HOW A PUPPET WORKS ANYWAY.

THE PROBLEM AT SPD IS THAT ALL THE UPPER LEVEL SUPERVISORS INCLUDING THE CHIEF HAVE ALL READY GOTTEN THIERS. THEY MADE IT, THEY HAVE THIER PENSIONS, THIER HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS IN DROP MONEY, MEDICAL BENIFITS. ETC.ETC... WHY WOULD THEY CARE ABOUT THE REST WHO ARE STILL WORKING FOR THIS? THEY DONT AND IT IS OBVIOUS. THE SHIP IS SINKING AND THEY HAVE ALL THE LIFE BOATS, WE ARE THE RATS THAT GO DOWN WITH THE SHIP.

THIS IS A BATTLE THAT WE WILL HAVE A HARD TIME WINNING. WE HAVE THE CITY MANAGER AGAINST US, ALL THE COMMISSIONERS ARE AGAINST US, ALL THE UPPER LEVEL SUPERVISORS DONT GIVE A SH-- THEY ARE JUST ON CRUISE CONTROL COUNTING THE DAYS. THINK ABOUT IT, THE CHIEF, ALL THE CAPTIANS, MOST LT'S ARE ALL IN THE DROP. THEY NO LONGER HAVE A VESTED INTREST IN ANYTHING OTHER THAN WHAT THEIR DROP ACCOUNTS ARE EARNING, WHY CARE ABOUT ANYTHING ELSE, THEY DONT.

YOU WANT SUGGESTIONS ON HOW TO SAVE MONEY, GET RID OF THOSE USELESS VOLUNTEERS. SAVE THE MONEY SPENT ON TRAINING THEM, THE UNIFORM COSTS. RADIOS,CARS, GAS, AND THE AGGRAVATION OF LISTENING TO THEM ON THE RADIO.

NEXT GET RID OF THAT GANG DETECTIVE, WHAT A WASTE, THERE IS NO GANG PROBLEM. GO BACK TO THE WAY IT WAS WITH GANG OFFICERS ON EACH SQUAD, AT LEAST THEY WORK THE STREET AND KNOW WHAT IS GOING ON. ALL THE DETECTIVE DOES IS TAKE INFO FED TO HER AND THEN COPIES IT AND PUTS IT OUT.

GET RID OF THE CAREER CRIMINAL DETECTIVE. WHO CARES, THE COURTS WILL LET THESE GUYS OUT ANYWAY, WHY PAY SOMEONE TO SIT IN COURT AND DO NOTHING. FROM WHAT I HEAR ITS PRETTY THIN IN THE DETECTIVE AREA. MAKE THAT GUY WORK CASES.

YOU COULD ALSO DO AWAY WITH HALF THE FOOT PATROLS, THEY DONT DO ANYTHING ANYWAY EXCEPT DODGE CALLS ALL DAY. PUT THEM IN A ZONE CAR AND HOLD THEM ACCOUNTABLE FOR DOING SOMETHING.

CRIME PREVENTION/BUM PATROL, DO AWAY WITH IT. BY PUTTING EXTRA PEOPLE BACK ON PATROL YOU COULD DESIGNATE A OFFICER FOR EACH SHIFT TO TAKE ON SOME OF THOSE DUTIES LIKE GOING TO NIEGHBORHOOD MEETINGS, BUSINESS SURVEYS, ETC..

BUT WHAT IT ALL COMES DOWN TOO IS THAT NO MATTER WHAT SUGGESTIONS ARE MADE REGARDING SAVING MONEY OR CONSESSIONS REGARDING BENIFTS AND PENSIONS, THE CITY MANAGER AND COMMISSIONERS DONT CARE AND WONT EXCEPT ANYTHING LESS THAN THE DISMANTELING OF THE POLICE DEPT AS A WHOLE, THAT IS THE BOTTOM LINE AND TOTAL OBJECTIVE FOR THEM.

03-02-2011, 01:59 PM
We have Crime Prevention?

03-02-2011, 02:19 PM
Get a life and learn how to type without the CAPITAL LETTERS. It makes you look stupid.

03-02-2011, 06:00 PM
you must be one of the more intelligent ones at SPD. yor right, the fact that it was typed in all capitals discredits everything that was said. you really nailed me on that one.

is this where i now say, "I know you are but what am I". give me a break.

03-03-2011, 08:31 AM
Sheriff Knight and Chief Hollaway at the Tiger Bay Club on March 3rd.
Ask them!

Today's the Day!!!!!

Go Ahead, Ask Them !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The City of Sarasota Government will NEVER give up control of the Police Department and the level of service and accountability it delivers. It just will not happen.
In communities where mergers happen, the police agencies are small, like (Mulberry, Florida P.D.) and have extreme financial problems, not a blip in the economy we are currently going through.
Mergers and takeovers require very public, expensive, feasibility studies, public input, and political vetting.
It’s something that the newspapers would be constantly reporting, not a few nuts on an obscure website.

Get real.

03-03-2011, 08:53 AM
Polk Sheriff's Office to Replace Mulberry Police Department and will provide one sergeant, eight patrol deputies, two school resource deputies, two telecommunicators and a secretary.

A source tells FOX 13, of the city's twelve sworn officers, two have already gotten jobs elsewhere, and five have submitted job applications with other agencies.

http://www.theledger.com/article/20091124/NEWS/911249961
http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/dpp/news/local/polk/Copy_of_Mulberry_may_shut_down_police

If Pinellas County Sheriff took over Clearwater policing, 54 jobs could be cut.

By the numbers
Law enforcement salaries
Clearwater police officers: $43,000-$65,000.
Pinellas County sheriff's deputies: $41,000-$67,000
Clearwater Police Department
Patrol officers: 112
Other officers (K9, traffic, etc.): 39
Detectives: 39
Police supervisors: 49
Non-sworn positions: 140

http://www.tampabay.com/news/localgovernment/if-pinellas-county-sheriff-took-over-clearwater-policing-54-jobs-could-be/1094273

03-03-2011, 09:35 AM
The emphasis is on fixing the Police Pension Plan, not replacing the Police Department.

Sarasota Police Officers DO NOT WANT the Sheriff's Pension plan.

We like our plan.

UNDER “DEFINED BENEFITS”, THE PLANNED RETIREMENTS ARE ACTUARIALLY PLANED…WITH AVERAGING OF INVESTMENTS PLANNED OUT OVER 30 YEARS…IN ORDER TO AVOID HIGHS & LOWS IN THE INVESTMENT STRATEGIES. THAT WAY AN EMPLOYEE KNOWS APPROXIMATELY WHAT THEIR RETIREMENT WILL BE AND CAN PLAN ACCORDINGLY.

"DEFINED CONTRIBUTIONS"…THIS IS BASICALLY A 401 K PLAN…WHICH THE EMPLOYEE CONTRIBUTES TO…THE CITY CLAIMS THEY WILL MATCH THE EMPLOYEE CONTRIBUTIONS.

HOWEVER, THERE ARE POTENTIAL PROBLEMS & RISKS WITH DEFINED CONTRIBUTIONS:

EXAMPLE OF WHAT CAN GO WRONG:

AN EMPLOYEE WORKS AND CONTRIBUTES TO THIS 401 K PLAN FOR 25-30 YEARS, THEN, JUST A YEAR OR TWO BEFORE RETIREMENT…ANOTHER STOCK MARKET DROP {RECESSION} TAKES PLACE….THE 401 K PLAN LOSES HALF OR MORE OF IT’S VALUE…

UNFORTUNATELY, THERE IS INSUFFICIENT TIME FOR THE 401 K PLAN TO RECOVER, BEFORE THE EMPLOYEE’S RETIREMENT TAKES PLACE. THAT EMPLOYEE, ON THE VERGE OF RETIREMENT, IS LEFT WITH A VERY SMALL INVESTMENT INCOME…AND MUST GO INTO RETIREMENT…BASICALLY BROKE.

THAT IS WHY A “DEFINED BENEFIT PLAN” IS CRUCIAL…IT IS STRUCTURED OVER A 30 YEAR PERIOD…SO THAT SUCH RISKS ARE SPREAD OUT OVER 30 YEARS AND IS CONSTANTLY ADJUSTED TO MAXIMIZE THE INVESTMENT RETURNS & GREATLY ELIMINATES SUCH RISK.

03-03-2011, 04:26 PM
Well thats great what are the guys that have been here 8 or 9 years going to do. A 401 was designed to supplement a retirement account not be one. There is not enough return from a 401 to use it as a retirement account. I don't have the answers, but I can tell you this what the city has on the table will not work and we better come together to fight it, and yes that means all you guys that are allready vested. Because after you leave we will be in control of the plan and we may make decisions that effect the rest of you lives. Not a threat just the facts. We are in this together so lets get busy and fight this missed managed city.

03-03-2011, 09:26 PM
No Merger will take place. Period.

Feel free to contact me if needed.

03-04-2011, 04:57 AM
For the non vested guys who have been here 8 or 9 years, it really sucks to be in those shes. But, I wonder, why are you still here? Why didnt you leave 4 or 5 years ago? This has been coming for a long time, and unfortunatly, the sooner the non vested guys can start over at a agency that is not an enemy to city hall, the better. I have over 10, but if I didnt, I would for sure be looking to move from this awful state.

03-04-2011, 03:36 PM

SSO will take over SPD by the end of the year. WATCH.

03-04-2011, 05:05 PM

SSO will take over SPD by the end of the year. WATCH.

Hahahahahahahahahaahhaahahahahaahahahahahaahahaaha .........................

You're Soooooooo Stupid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :devil: :devil: :snicker: :snicker: :devil: :devil: