PDA

View Full Version : Sarasota detective fired

02-18-2011, 10:05 PM
a veteran Sarasota Police homicide detective went to the courthouse and tried to secede from the United States of America.

The detective, Tom Laughlin, filed a convoluted document declaring himself a "sovereign citizen." The filing included a thumb print on each page and a photocopy of 21 silver pieces — the price to become a "freeman."

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20110218/ARTICLE/110219724/-1/news?Title=Sarasota-detective-fired-for-trying-to-secede-from-U-S-

Tommy was one of the best K-9 Officers we ever had.

02-19-2011, 02:17 PM
Another one of the blessed one's Protege` Tommy will win that on Appeal through the Civil Service board!

02-19-2011, 03:25 PM
I have known all of the Laughlin's since childhood. Dad (RIP) lost his mind in the early 90's. Some may recall his tiny gas station/food mart on Ringling. He had bible quotes all over the store and was brainwashed with this same "freeman" thinking. Those who knew him saw a 180-degree change in his personality. The things he would say were mind blowing.
Jimmy soon followed. Thinking and believing the same way Dad did. Jimmy began this way of thinking soon after Dad became a Freeman.
Tim the middle brother has been SG20 his entire life. Not sure what his current status is, but I'm sure he's either in jail or a cult.
Tom was the only sane one out of the bunch. At least I thought. He always has been a hot head, even as a kid. All were bullies as kids. I remember that you didn't "mess with the Laughlins." Like I said, I grew up and went to school with them.
It's sad that Tommy finally (but inevitably) began to fall into this way of thinking.
The Laughlin family has always been known as being strange, but because of this brain washing, we did lose a talented investigator/cop.

03-12-2011, 06:01 AM
Another one of the blessed one's Protege` Tommy will win that on Appeal through the Civil Service board!

Yeah, Right. Good Luck with that one.

Five 'Sovereign Citizens' plot to kidnap, kill Alaska troopers

The members of the domestic terrorism group also plotted to kill a judge, claiming courts should have no authority over them
By Sam Friedman
Fairbanks Daily News-Miner

FAIRBANKS, Alaska — Five people, including militia activist Schaeffer Cox, were arrested Thursday in the Fairbanks area for allegedly conspiring to kill multiple Alaska State Troopers and a federal judge.

The group had stockpiled weapons and conducted surveillance on the homes of two troopers, according to Alaska State Troopers. Some of the weapons known to be in the cache are prohibited by state or federal law, according to troopers.

In addition to Cox, those taken into custody are Lonnie and Karen Vernon of Salcha, Coleman Barney of North Pole and Michael Anderson, whose hometown was unclear. All were taken into custody without incident.

The arrests were made by the Alaska State Troopers’ Special Emergency Reaction Team, along with Fairbanks troopers, the FBI, U.S. Marshal’s Service and the Fairbanks Police Department.

U.S. District Court Judge Ralph Beistline was the judge targeted, U.S. Attorney Karen Loeffler said. Lonnie Vernon was recently indicted on the charge of threatening to kill Beistline, the chief judge for the U.S. District Court in Alaska, “in the fulfillment of his duties” and is the only member of the group facing federal charges, Loeffler said.

Beistline is presiding over a tax-evasion case involving the Vernons.

The five arrested Thursday face several state charges, including conspiracy to commit murder, conspiracy to commit kidnapping, conspiracy to commit arson, and tampering with evidence, according to troopers.

http://www.policeone.com/homeland-security/articles/3421024-Five-Sovereign-Citizens-plot-to-kidnap-kill-Alaska-troopers/

03-12-2011, 06:03 AM
Sovereign Citizens
Cox has used his case to challenge the authority of the Alaska Court System, calling himself a sovereign citizen and claiming the court is a for-profit corporation with no authority over him.

In a lengthy courtroom speech last year, Cox said he does not intend to cooperate with the court system, but he sees himself as a peacemaker between his supporters and the government.

The FBI describes the Sovereign Citizen Movement as a domestic terrorism group.