PDA

View Full Version : Can We Come Together, Because We Need Too

02-11-2011, 05:17 AM
The rumors have been flying around the building, so let me be the one to put them on here. The rumor is that the City Manager wants to reduce our numbers down to about 126 officers, in order to cut 2 million dollars from the police budget. At only 126 officers we would have to rely on the county to back us up, handle details, and cover special events in the city, as we as officers will not have the man power to do so. It has been said, and I remind everyone that this is only rumors not confirmed, that Sheriff Knight would take over the city PD at only 126 officers, but would only retain about 80 officers. It has been said that the grant money the city recieved from the federal goverment is going to be given back, in order to reduce our numbers, because when the city excepted the money, they made an agreement to keep a staffing at a certain level.

Let me say that I don't know if any of this is true, but if you look at the facts at the PD it very well could be. We are low in man power, we have a hireing freeze, so no new bodies to fill spots.

We as employees need to come together. With the up coming election, we need three people to be elected in order to protect ourselves from the city manager and certain staff members at our department. At the PBA office there is a sign up sheet to walk door to door in neighborhoods to help the three canidates get elected. I hope everyone that reads this gets out there and supports the PBA, the PBA CANIDATES, and most importantly each other.

Morale might be low, and we might not get the support we would hope for from the department, but we can still help each other. God Bess!

02-11-2011, 12:10 PM
Where is this information coming from? I mean has this been cooked up at the PD or is this actual information coming from an outside source? Has the PBA looked into this issue? If there is truth beind those numbers perhaps "THEY" (the PBA, Admin, or the City) could give us a heads up so we could start looking for other jobs. I mean if your gonna scuttle the boat you could at least give everyone a warning prior to doing it. If they are going to keep 80 how is the Sheriff going to choose who to keep? Will we need to apply or is the SO going to come by and shift through our personel files. I mean I want to go and get a few signs to wave from Knight's election headquarters. Is that why {former} Captain Spitler applying over there? WTF?

02-11-2011, 01:17 PM
The Sarasota GOP controls Sarasota City, Sarasota County and Manatee County. Backroom deals and discussions have been occuring for YEARS. It's no conspiracy. It's just small town politics, deal making and power weilding. It's ALWAYS been that way and it's nothing new.

For the last few years, the Sarasota GOP (those who have the financial power and political clout -- you know who you are) has been discussing how to get rid of the Sarasota City fire department and the Sarasota City police department. A deal was brokered to get rid of the Sarasota City fire department, so that's the end of that discussion. For those of you who are too young to remember, SPD officers and city firefighters said it would never happen, but they're not in charge. So exactly who is in charge? Those who have the finnancial power and political clout are in charge and if you don't know who they are, oh well, you're not a power player (and there's nothing wrong with that). You're a follower and you're on the outer outer outer circle. Just continue doing what you're told, like the rest of the people. Somebody has to be in charge and it's obviously not you. lol

Behind closed door discussions there continues to be talk and planning about getting rid of SPD. It's been ongoing (in backroom brokered discussions) for years, so it's not new. Tom Knight is privy to this, regardless of what he'll say publicly. Before he was elected two years ago, he personally told me that he's in favor of having a metropolitan police department between Sarasota County and Sarasota City. However, to be fair, I'm not sure exactly what he meant by that. I had the impression that he meant that he favored something like the Miami-Dade police department where the director is appointed. The actual title of Miami-Dade is Director and Metropolitan Sheriff. However, I think (?) that there's been a change in plans by the Sarasota GOP because Tom Knight is so well liked and competent and now the plan is to just have the SSO completely take-over all police operations without becoming a metropolitan police department i.e. the sheriff will remain elected and not appointed. Don't quote me on this because backroom politics, deal making and brokering can continue to evolve and change, depending on which way the financial and political winds are blowing. Nothing is written in stone.

The rumor is that the City Manager wants to reduce our numbers down to about 126 officers, in order to cut 2 million dollars from the police budget. At only 126 officers we would have to rely on the county to back us up, handle details, and cover special events in the city, as we as officers will not have the man power to do so. It has been said, and I remind everyone that this is only rumors not confirmed, that Sheriff Knight would take over the city PD at only 126 officers, but would only retain about 80 officers. It has been said that the grant money the city recieved from the federal goverment is going to be given back, in order to reduce our numbers.
The cat is obviously out of the bag and word is out about some of the backroom deals that are floating around and being discussed on how the Sarasota Sheriff's Office can financially afford to absorb SPD operations citywide. Forget the dual taxation issue. Sarasota City will save billions of dollars when SSO takes over SPD, which is exactly what happened when the county fire department took over the city fire department.

We as employees need to come together. With the up coming election, we need three people to be elected in order to protect ourselves from the city manager and certain staff members at our department. At the PBA office there is a sign up sheet to walk door to door in neighborhoods to help the three canidates get elected.
This is way bigger then that and it's way bigger than the PBA. No matter who is elected, they will be brought on-board, regardless of what they told you before they were elected. Welcome to the real world of Sarasota GOP politics.

Carolyn Mason was a loyal Democrat all her life, but then the Sarasota GOP approached her (behind the scenes, of course) and asked her to change to the Republican party so they could get her elected. The Sarasota GOP needed an African American county commissioners because all the previous commissioners were just European Americans. That just demonstrates that the Sarasota GOP runs this town and if you don't believe it, that's because you're on the outer outer outer circle. Just keep following the leader.

Don't miss the next Sarasota GOP meeting at 600 North Beneva Road. ;)

02-11-2011, 06:33 PM
Well, if the city has no ifer or police, then we wont need a city commission or city manager, so they would pretty much be doing themselves in. Plus, I really dont see the city building a multimillion dollar police department, only to get rid of us. I do think BOBO would like to lower our staffing to ridiculous numbers.

02-12-2011, 03:06 PM
Well, if the city has no ifer or police, then we wont need a city commission or city manager, so they would pretty much be doing themselves in.
The city commission doesn't need a police department to exist, just like they don't need a fire department to exist. The city commissioned jettisoned the city fire department and next they will jettison the city police department, due to exorbitent costs that are associated with police retirees and with active-duty officers. It just costs too much for the current tax base.

IMO the city commissioners have done an outstanding job revitalizing downtown Sarasota with the TIF (special taxing district) where all those collected tax money's were recirculated back into the downtown area instead of being given to the County of Sarasota. That's what paid for all the new street lights, tree plantings, clean-ups, etc. Downtown is now vibrant and is a "destination" for county and city locals, as well as for out-of-state visitors and retirees. It's a hub of vibrant activity. That happened because of special zoning changes and the TIF agreement -- and it has nothing to do with the existence of a police department. Deputies can be just as effective as municipal police for public safety.

Do I like SPD? Of course, but that's not the point. It's all about financial sustainability and recent actuarial studies indicate that the days of SPD are numbered. When the financial numbers are crunched, SPD will be absorbed by SSO.

Plus, I really dont see the city building a multimillion dollar police department, only to get rid of us.
The new building, since it's connected with the sale of bonds, is simply a bargaining tool for the city commissioners to negotiate with the sheriff. The county wants the sheriff to move out of 2071 Ringling because the SAO and public defender need the space (especially the public defender). When the negotiations are completed, don't be surprised if you see the new SPD building become the new SSO headquarters.

Naturally, you're saying that this will never happen. May I remind you that the same things were said about absorbing the SPD 911 center and the city fire department?

Don't miss the next Sarasota GOP meeting at 600 North Beneva Road.

02-12-2011, 04:11 PM
Unfortunately, I logged on here to view other topics and I see this rambling on and on about how the Sarasota PD will be dissolved and we will be merged with the county. Hasn't that been the topic for the past 10-15 years?? There are alot of young personnel at SPD who have just started their career and hope to end everything at SPD BUT not only do they have to deal with the on going press about our financial instability for the pension but they also have to deal with the ramblings of a dilusional employee who loves to spread rumors. If you want to help, put out the word like you originally stated to volunteer and go door to door to get help from the community to oust the City Manager. We don't need more BS spread around the department you only add fuel to the fire and create chaos. I am dissappointed that you would type this nonsense here. With all of the knowledge that you appear to have on the topic then either you are just attempting to create more turmoil or bucking for a political spot yourself. I have never seen someone with that much knowledge on something but at the end add.....it is only a rumor!! Are you kidding me, either retire, look for another job or shut up because these rumors are one of the reasons why our department is the way it is now!!!!1

02-12-2011, 05:19 PM
JAFO123 you are obviously not in the know, or are a Admin Lap Dog. The person who is posting is shooting from the hip and hitting the mark. This information is almost a sure thing, the writing is on the crapper wall buddy. It's not a matter of "if" it happens but when. Open your eyes and look around... CM BoBo is running this place and he is a hatchet man, they hired him to cut our budget, and he has set about his assigned task with pleasure. We were 205, now 180, soon to be 165, etc etc etc. Feel bad for the new promotions since they'll be back to thier old rank in less than a year but hey thats the way the cookie crumbles, hope they didn't rid of their old uniforms....

02-13-2011, 11:02 PM
The 126 officer theory makes no sense. If the SSO was going to take over the PD, why wait until we are at 126? Why not just take it over and then pick your 80 officers? And the 600 N. Beneva Road address is for the Shriners Temple. Let me guess, The Freemasons/Shriners are the secret society that is making all of these backroom deals. If you are so in the know when is this takeover supposed to take place?

02-14-2011, 12:46 AM
The 126 officer theory makes no sense. If the SSO was going to take over the PD, why wait until we are at 126? Why not just take it over and then pick your 80 officers?
Gotta start somewhere and that's the number that Tom Knightmare allegedly gave.

And the 600 N. Beneva Road address is for the Shriners Temple. Let me guess, The Freemasons/Shriners are the secret society that is making all of these backroom deals. If you are so in the know when is this takeover supposed to take place?

I don't know about the secret Masonic stuff, but:

REC Monthly Meeting & Board Elections
Thursday, December 30,2010
6:30 pm Social
7:00 pm Meeting
Sahib Temple
600 N. Beneva Rd.
Sarasota, Florida

02-15-2011, 12:39 AM
There are always a few trolls who come up with these wild conspiracy theories and outlandish "corruption" accusations. One guy said this through three admins and 17 years about how State Attornies, Judges and LEOs were all "days away from being indited by the Grand Jury" and that "warrants are being drawn up as we speak" and "the Feds are gonna shut this place down", but of course, nothing ever happened.

Eventually, he retired and later died and still nothing ever happened.

same kinda fool, different agency.....