PDA

View Full Version : Can We Come Together, Because We Need Too

02-11-2011, 05:17 AM
The rumors have been flying around the building, so let me be the one to put them on here. The rumor is that the City Manager wants to reduce our numbers down to about 126 officers, in order to cut 2 million dollars from the police budget. At only 126 officers we would have to rely on the county to back us up, handle details, and cover special events in the city, as we as officers will not have the man power to do so. It has been said, and I remind everyone that this is only rumors not confirmed, that Sheriff Knight would take over the city PD at only 126 officers, but would only retain about 80 officers. It has been said that the grant money the city recieved from the federal goverment is going to be given back, in order to reduce our numbers, because when the city excepted the money, they made an agreement to keep a staffing at a certain level.

Let me say that I don't know if any of this is true, but if you look at the facts at the PD it very well could be. We are low in man power, we have a hireing freeze, so no new bodies to fill spots.

We as employees need to come together. With the up coming election, we need three people to be elected in order to protect ourselves from the city manager and certain staff members at our department. At the PBA office there is a sign up sheet to walk door to door in neighborhoods to help the three canidates get elected. I hope everyone that reads this gets out there and supports the PBA, the PBA CANIDATES, and most importantly each other.

Morale might be low, and we might not get the support we would hope for from the department, but we can still help each other. God Bess!