PDA

View Full Version : Cotterell DROP Article - Mass Exodus

02-07-2011, 05:00 PM
Article published Feb 7, 2011
Bill Cotterell: Protests won't keep benefits off Scott's chopping block
Bill Cotterell
Notebook

Ethicists and debate coaches have a term, “the tyranny of the anecdote,” for information that’s hard to dispute because people hear it so much, it becomes conventional wisdom.

Everybody knows clock-watching government workers just put in their years, pad their salaries with overtime to jack up that final-five compensation average, stash cash in deferred-compensation accounts, run up a fat tab in the DROP plan and sometimes come back to “double-dip” after retiring. The trouble with what everyone knows is, except for a few enviable examples, it’s a canard.

Gov. Rick Scott goes to Eustis today to release his state budget plan for 2011-12. Expect shock and awe — along with warm applause from the Tea Party gathering he’s attending for the occasion.

What we’ve seen so far is in keeping with what Scott said last year during his outsider campaign for governor. The whole idea behind his $80 million hobby was to create private-sector jobs, which means running Florida government as much like a business as possible.

Regardless whether you like him or his policies, Scott is clearly on to something and has conservatives on his side when he speaks of state employment. Scott said last year he’d cut state payrolls. Attorney General Bill McCollum and Chief Financial Officer Alex Sink said it’s not that simple.

Look who won.

The trend in the private sector, Scott correctly points out, is away from “defined benefit” pension plans and toward “defined contribution” systems, like the 401(k) investment packages. The state already has its “public employee optional retirement plan,” but few employees have opted for it, so Scott wants to steer new hires into defined-contribution.

And, of course, his budget plans call for saving some $2.8 billion over two years by making members of the Florida Retirement System pay 5 percent of their salaries into the fund. The FRS is wholly employer-paid now — the only state plan with no employee contributions, Scott says — and most of the taxpayers don’t have employer-paid pensions in their jobs.

Legislators will hear protests from police unions, particularly about Scott’s proposal to reduce special-risk retirement credit from 3 percent to 2 per year, as well as from schoolteachers, state office workers and the already-retired. But legislators won’t get many calls and mail from regular, private-sector voters who think public employees shouldn’t put some money into the pension pot.

State Rep. Alan Williams, D-Tallahassee, called Scott’s plan a 5-percent pay cut for government workers — in effect, an income tax on members of the Florida Retirement System. And state employees haven’t had a general pay raise in five years, which is probably going to become six years pretty soon.

But Williams and other state employee advocates are not quite right about pension payments being an income tax. If you get vested with the state, you get it back — probably a lot more than you put in, if you live long enough — and if you’re a new hire in the 401(k)-style plan, you can take it with you when leave a state job.

You can't do that with an income tax.

Employers in the private sector don’t have DROP plans, either, so Scott wants to close it for new members next year — another certain crowd-pleaser with the voters.

The Deferred Retirement Option Plan is a good deal for employees — but it’s also a great benefit for employers. This is where anecdotes can get tyrannical.

DROP lets employees retire on Friday and come back to work on Monday, in the same jobs, for up to five years (eight for teachers). Their pensions are put in retirement accounts with cost-of-living increases and interest accruals, so they can build up six-figure payouts when their DROP clocks finally expire and they really have to leave their jobs.

The Legislature last year tried to reduce the guaranteed interest rate from 6.5 percent to 3 percent, but Gov. Charlie Crist vetoed the cut.

One trouble with DROP is, it never got defined. A few years ago, the Legislature’s Office of Program Policy Analysis and Governmental Accountability issued a report saying lawmakers should decide whether DROP was intended to help people retire or help them stay on the job.

The late Sen. Pat Thomas, D-Quincy, sponsored creation of the program about 20 years ago. For him, the idea was to keep good workers when their kids are grown and their houses are paid for — when they could afford to live on their pensions, Social Security and savings. The idea was to give them their pensions, in escrow, and keep their services for five years.

But DROP also has the effect of putting senior employees on a glide path toward a comfortable exit from their jobs. In that way, it helps the state shed, in five years, people who might stay for 10 or 12.

Put aside anecdotal envy of people who retire with $175,000 or $200,000 piled up in their DROP accounts, and the system is a win-win. Unless the state abolishes your job, it’s going to be paying the pension and the salary to someone. It will probably be a lower salary, at least for a while, if your replacement is far younger and less experienced — but the employer will also be getting less service from the new employee.

Those younger employees also tend to have more dependents in the state insurance system, which probably costs more than any salary difference. Net saving is temporary, almost a wash.

Abolishing DROP next year will probably have another consequence, intended or not — shedding many employees. Last year, when the Legislature cut the interest rate, there was a rush to join DROP and lock in the higher interest rate — before Crist vetoed the cut.

You can bet Scott won’t be vetoing anything that encourages employees to quit.

Contact Senior Political Writer Bill Cotterell at (850) 671-6545 or at bcotterell@tallahassee.com.

02-07-2011, 09:48 PM
I wish someone would get it straight, it's my money - I'm not hiding it in deferred comp as if I'm getting away with something and stealing it from the state. Lord knows the state is not giving that to me, and at least the writer is good enough to see some truth about drop! instead of the usual media band wagon.

02-08-2011, 12:08 AM
Scott told some people he hoped getting rid of DROP would make some of the higher paid employees (for state employees anyway) leave quicker so the state could replace them at a lower wage.

02-08-2011, 12:40 AM
Abolishing DROP next year will probably have another consequence, intended or not — shedding many employees.

The new replacement employees will not be in the defined benefit plan, they will get a 401k and employers will save a bundle.

02-08-2011, 11:54 AM
Anyone who thinks there will be a mass exodus due to pension reform is smoking crack. Florida has a +12% unemployment rate compared to 9.4% nationally. Good luck finding a comparable paying job with a pension right now in the private sector. There are plenty of people out there looking for jobs, especially jobs with pensions and job security, to fill any public job openings should they become available. So go ahead and quit your public job if you think you can get a better deal in the private sector.

02-08-2011, 12:32 PM
Anyone who thinks there will be a mass exodus due to pension reform is smoking crack. Florida has a +12% unemployment rate compared to 9.4% nationally. Good luck finding a comparable paying job with a pension right now in the private sector. There are plenty of people out there looking for jobs, especially jobs with pensions and job security, to fill any public job openings should they become available. So go ahead and quit your public job if you think you can get a better deal in the private sector.

Hi Colonel, nice to see you on here

02-08-2011, 06:53 PM
I wouldn't say people are going to just quit with no income. I think you will see a TON of Troopers applying for other jobs. As soon as they find something better (which won't be as hard to find as you think), they will bail and the state will have to spend money re-training another idiot who will leave as soon as they figure out what a shitty deal they signed on to. Nobody will stay 25 years. There is no incentive. Being a florida trooper will be like being a convenience store clerk. Just a job to pay some bills till something better comes along.

02-09-2011, 12:36 AM
I wouldn't say people are going to just quit with no income. I think you will see a TON of Troopers applying for other jobs. As soon as they find something better (which won't be as hard to find as you think), they will bail and the state will have to spend money re-training another idiot who will leave as soon as they figure out what a shitty deal they signed on to. Nobody will stay 25 years. There is no incentive. Being a florida trooper will be like being a convenience store clerk. Just a job to pay some bills till something better comes along.

You nailed it, that's exctly what has to happen (high turnover and unfilled positions) in order to bring FHP wages in line with other agencies. Until that happens, there will not be any raises.

02-09-2011, 01:59 PM

You nailed it, that's exctly what has to happen (high turnover and unfilled positions) in order to bring FHP wages in line with other agencies. Until that happens, there will not be any raises.

If the time ever comes that the Republican-controlled government ever decides to pass a pay raise (and I can't imagine the time), do you think it will be 5%? You might get 1 or 2% and then go another 5 years with nothing. All State Employees will have their hands out at once. School Teachers will be taken care of 1st (which is what always happens when FHP asks for a raise). Whatever you are making right now is probably the most you will ever make in your career. By the time you end up getting caught up to the 5% they took this year, you'll just be whole again, so it really won't have been a raise at all. I predict it will take 15 years to get your salary back to where you are right now. That's the salary issue. Your crummy pension is another story altogether.

02-09-2011, 02:55 PM
Wait and see that Police Departments that care about their officers (like Broward SO) will give them a 5% raise to make them whole. Do you think FHP will do the same?

02-16-2011, 02:36 PM
I should just be glad I have a job. That's what my supervisor keeps telling me. What genious :lol:

02-16-2011, 09:15 PM
If the high risk class annual accumulator is reduced from 3% to 2%, the state saves 12.5% per each high risk employee's salary. There is room for a 5% raise to cover the pension tax. All depends on the math the state will use to balance the budget and how the smaller pie will be divided. We will know more in March when the crooks...I mean politicians in Tallahassee start debating the various proposals.