PDA

View Full Version : HB303 - Representative Fred Costello - Ormond Beach

01-22-2011, 08:01 PM
Ladies and Gentlemen of VCSO - In case you're not aware of this newly proposed House Bill that deals with "our" FRS, read on. I mention VCSO in my letter - It is NOT a personal shot at you or your agency. I know from living in the area what crime you deal with and if Fred Costello has not seen it first hand, shame on him. Because I do not live in his represented area, I took the liberty to invite him to South Florida. Be Safe.

Representative Costello,

My name is Doug Lashbrook. I’m 47-years-old, married and have a 13-year-old son. I have been in the Florida Retirement System since age 18. For the past 20 years I have been proudly employed by the Broward County Sheriff’s Office as a Deputy Sheriff who earns the 3% Special Risk service credit. After reading HB 303, a proposal by you, a Dentist/State Representative, I must say that I and all of my co-workers are thoroughly appalled with your bill.

Allow me to give you some of my employment background with the State of Florida. I was in my high school senior year in 1981 when I took a job with the Florida Park Service as a Park Ranger in Flagler Beach. I’ll be the first to say the money was not the reason for working at the park it was the Florida Retirement System. I earned the 1.6% service credit per year as did many other employees. I continued my state employment for 8 ½ years and had the opportunity to work and travel throughout this beautiful state. In 1987, I attended the Law Enforcement academy in Quincy, Florida where I obtained my Law Enforcement certificate. Now in South Florida, I continued working for the Park Service in places like Bahia Honda State Recreation Area in Big Pine Key, John Pennekamp in Key Largo and lastly, North Shore State Recreation Area in Miami Beach. It was there I worked closely with the Miami Beach Police Department and became very good friends with the Police Officers and liked what they represented. This was a turning point in my career that led me to becoming a Deputy Sheriff and increasing my service credit from 1.6% to the 3% high risk.

I and many others throughout the state are nearing the end of our careers. This proposal is a slap in the face to us who have given everything we have to a career that promised security and peace of mind after retirement. The same type of security and peace of mind that for 20 years I have strived to provide to the citizens of the county I serve. Your proposal of HB 303 will take that all away and force the next generation of Law Enforcement Officers to think twice about this career.

It’s very clear to my colleagues and me, that you do not support Law Enforcement or any profession that puts their own life on the line to protect the citizens of this great State. Nor have you researched (or maybe you have and didn’t care) the lifespan of a Law Enforcement Officer after retirement. I ask you Representative Costello, are you familiar with “fight or flight”, “adrenaline dumps”, or “stress”? I’m sure you may have heard of the terminology, but have you ever experienced it? Again, you may have, but look at it from another perspective. Put on a uniform, badge and gun, then patrol the mean streets everyday for 25 years (our current time allowed for retirement). Experience what it’s like to “fight or flight”, have an adrenaline dump and continuous stress then multiply that, on a low end of once per shift, five times per week for 25 years. Do you see where I’m going with this? Stress Kills. We as Law Enforcement Officers are sworn to protect and serve life and property die at a much younger age than other professionals because of job-related stress compared to those who sit behind a desk! And you’re proposing we work longer and reduce our retirement benefits?

I invite you to attend the funerals for Miami-Dade Police Officer’s Roger Castillo and Amanda Haworth who were brutally murdered on January 20, 2011 attempting to arrest a murder suspect. In fact, why don’t you speak to the families, friends and fellow Law Enforcement Officer’s who have gathered from around the country who are grieving over the senseless deaths of more Law Enforcement Officers? Please do so and tell the widow and three children of Officer Castillo and Officer Haworth’s 13-year-old child that there ultimate sacrifice’s mean nothing to you.

For those of us who have chosen Law Enforcement as a profession, we know the dangers that are present. But we do this with pride, because we want to make a difference. We remove the dangerous criminals from the streets and protect the innocent, knowing that when our career has ended, we will live out our last few years rewarded with a good retirement for the sacrifices we made and with any luck, pass that tradition off to our children.

We in the Law Enforcement community know all about your proposal. You see, it’s easy for you to sit behind your desk and propose HB 303 not knowing the sacrifices we make everyday to protect people like yourself. Or maybe this proposal is your way of retaliation for the “smear” campaign that you allege. Sadly, those allegations go hand-in-hand in the political world. Get over it. Whatever the case may be, hopefully your political career will be short-lived just for being vindictive.

If you haven’t already, ride along with the Ormond Beach Police Department or Volusia County Sheriff’s Office. But if you feel real brave, come to South Florida and get a first hand look at what we experience practically every day of our career.

God Bless you.

Doug Lashbrook
Deputy Sheriff
Broward County Sheriff’s Office

01-23-2011, 04:03 AM
Thank-You for caring enough to inform us Doug.
Keep up the Good Work !!! :cop: :cop:

01-25-2011, 01:58 AM
It isn't just police officers... I started as a police officer and state trooper and gave 26 years of my life to this career, knowing i was working for less money, but planning a god retirement. I am a Medicaid fraud and abuse prosecutor at AHCA. I recover millions of stolen dollars for Medicaid. We work 45 to 55 hours a week or more, but are paid the same salary. We have not had a raise in 5 years. The torpedo job on using our accrued leave and the end of DROP are huge issues, and it is unethical to jerk that rug out. Anything like that must be slowly graduated into the system and those who worked their lifetimes would get the benefit of their bargain.

It is cowardly and unethical to stomp on people in this situation, especially older folks who can no longer make choices.

I just posted this to my facebook, and I know it will go to hundreds of people, hopefully thousands.

If you are a realtor, retailer, banker, insurance person or car dealer or storekeeper- they are torpedoing you by stripping state retirees accounts and hurting them financially- these are your customers and neighbors READ HB 303 AND CALL OR WRITE REP COSTELLO TO STOP THIS COWARDLY NONSENSE.

01-25-2011, 03:52 AM
Why isn't this guy's face, address, phone number, tag number, vehicle description, and names of his family plastered on the desk and/or dashboard of everyone in FRS or receiving benefits from FRS?

I'm not suggesting anything other than if you encounter him and his, you should be aware he's making a serious hardcore attempt at screwing you out of your financial future when you deal with him.

01-27-2011, 01:56 AM
After being involved in Law Enforcement for the last 24 and a half years I feel as if I have protected the citizens of our great state, The State of Florida. I have missed Christmas with my family, seen my friends laid to rest from the perils of criminals, missed birthdays and anniversaries. My children are proud of me, as I protect people like you, from the scum of the earth. Now, as I sit here and type this, I see you as the enemy. Someone who wants to strip me of the benefits I have worked years to achieve. As a Deputy Sheriff, when the gunfire rings out, I move towards it to protect you...as you run to take cover. I am not afraid. The United States Government takes care of those who fight on foreign soil, it's now your duty to take care of us, those who fight on the soil of Florida, and recall your house bill. Leave our FRS as it is and walk away.

01-27-2011, 04:41 AM
Representative Costello:

Have you ever had to handle the brutal murder of a child?
Have you ever been shot?
Have you ever been in the position where you had to shoot someone?
Have you even seen a woman dismembered by a jealous lover?
Have you ever had a partner shot to death while standing 5 feet from you?
Have you ever seen a woman who was beaten beyond recognition because her boyfriend thought a man was “looking at her” in the grocery store?
Have you ever had your wife physically assaulted because you did your job?
Have you ever had an offender kill your dog?
Have you ever seen 9 and 12 year old little girls shot in the head then sodomized while they died?
Have you ever had to comfort a six year old child because he had just witnessed his father commit suicide with a shotgun?

There never was a night in my 28 year police career in which I was not the central character in the story of the worst day of someone else’s life in one way or another.

I made sure I told my family I loved them EVERY NIGHT, without fail, before I went to work, even if I had to wake them up to do so.

You clearly cannot begin to comprehend what this job does to those who go out every shift and confront the darkest corners of the human heart. Perhaps you would come to your senses if came home to find your loved ones the victim of such heinous crimes. Who would you turn to then?

Until you can understand what this work does to a man or woman whose job it is to risk their lives on a daily basis to protect the public, including you, I believe you should step aside and let someone with understanding and compassion make the decisions that affect these pensions. These men and women deserve more, not less.

Michael D. Chapel
New Smyrna Beach

01-27-2011, 02:29 PM
Letter mailed to Costello

January 25, 2011

State Representative Fred Costello
1101 The Capitol
402 South Monroe Street
Tallahassee, Florida 32399-1300

Mr. Costello,

I recently received a copy of proposed House Bill #303, sponsored by you. I was a little disturbed by the fact that your proposed bill essentially obliterates first responder pensions, and takes away the central part of collective bargaining; But I was most disturbed that while attending the service for two murdered Officers I could not get your proposed bill out of my mind. You see I found myself looking at the 4 children of these Officers and was left with the empty feeling that if not for their pensions these children would have nothing. To make matters worse while driving to the service we were notified that two St. Petersburg Officers were murdered leaving behind more children.

I know it is difficult for a dentist such as yourself to understand how heart wrenching this is but just imagine every day before you leave for your office, your spouse checking to see if you are wearing your vest, and for your family to say good bye not knowing if you will come home. I know you represent Volusia County, but the brave men and women there are no different. In fact there have been 17 Officers killed in the line of duty in Volusia County and its municipalities.

Although my job mandates that I be political, I choose not to. I will tell you that I am extremely disappointed that a law maker such as yourself would go to such extremes instead of making minor adjustments to a well funded system. You see my chosen profession, unlike yours does not allow me to pick my clients therefore you can sleep soundly at night knowing that a Police Officer, who you apparently look down on will put his/her life on the line for yours.

Jack Lokeinsky
President FOP Lodge #31

Cc: Honorable Governor Scott

01-27-2011, 10:07 PM
GENERAL BILL by Costello
Public Retirement Plans: Limits benefits available under public retirement systems or plans; revises definitions relating to compensation; limits factoring of overtime, unused leave, & other such compensation into pension benefit; reduces service credit prospectively; revises applicability of ch. 175, F.S., to firefighters who are eligible for FRS; revises applicability of ch. 185, F.S., to police officers who are eligible for FRS; provides membership requirements for special fire control district & municipality board of trustees; revises powers & duties of boards of trustees, special fire control districts, & municipalities; revises provisions relating to firefighter & police officer benefits; repeals provisions relating to presumption with respect to diseases of firefighters suffered in line of duty; repeals provisions relating to transfer to another state retirement system & payment of benefits; repeals provisions relating to presumption with respect to police officer disability in line of duty; provides declaration of important state interest.
Effective Date: upon becoming a law

Last Event: Withdrawn prior to introduction on Thursday, January 27, 2011 4:28 PM