PDA

View Full Version : How many Ex-BSO guys are happy to be Ex BSo Guys

01-06-2011, 07:22 PM
I for one am extremely happy to be an ex-BSO Deputy. I was in the DLE and I read the things on this board and it makes me very happy that I am no longer a part of any of this. Looks like there are more back stabbers and company men that work here than ever before.

CAR69
01-07-2011, 12:01 AM
You have back stabbers wherever you go....Grass is always greener on the other side until you cut it.

01-07-2011, 02:10 AM
I for one am extremely happy to be an ex-BSO Deputy. I was in the DLE and I read the things on this board and it makes me very happy that I am no longer a part of any of this. Looks like there are more back stabbers and company men that work here than ever before.

If you are basing your opinion on this blog, I would say we are luck you are an ex-BSO deputy! It does have some entertainment value, but that is about it. Most is BS from disgruntled, anti-Lamberti, anti-BSO malcontents. Then again the fact that you are an ex-BSO deputy and didn't classify yourself as RETIRED BSO deputy, you probably fall right into that category.

01-07-2011, 05:08 AM
I am retired and very glad I left. I just feel bad for my friends that have to continue to work there. This website make for good comedy....I have no regrets, enjoyed working for BSO made lots of friends but I am sure glad Im gone....Take care and God Bless you all.

01-07-2011, 11:53 AM
i think most who leave or retired will always miss the actual job, but after a while
you begin to weigh your options, your pension + benifits, or cash value of the
pension for the pay out or do the drop and be driven crazy by the insanity of this
place in regards to pay raises, treatment of employee's,promotional exams, job assignments, or bids, and human resources hiring practices, transfer's to other dist's.
i did 26 years and could not wait to leave and not stay 1 more day than i had to.

01-07-2011, 06:46 PM
I retired after many years of honorable service and will always be proud of my time at a great agency when doing the right things had value. But I truly believe that the current Sheriff, Lamberti, has singlehandedly dishonored and severely damaged the agency and all who love being a cop. His immoral actions, corrupt appointments, criminal affiliations and generally awful performance has hurt all of us. Truths are being published every day and they speak volumes about Lamberti's judgement, ethics and knowledge of the job. What a disgrace.

01-07-2011, 09:57 PM
I retired after many years of honorable service and will always be proud of my time at a great agency when doing the right things had value. But I truly believe that the current Sheriff, Lamberti, has singlehandedly dishonored and severely damaged the agency and all who love being a cop. His immoral actions, corrupt appointments, criminal affiliations and generally awful performance has hurt all of us. Truths are being published every day and they speak volumes about Lamberti's judgement, ethics and knowledge of the job. What a disgrace.

I too retired after almost 31 years. Thankful I was a cop, smart enough to understand regular guys like me and you never had it so good: great pay, never missed a paycheck...even when I banged in sick, never went hunger,ever and always had a unit, not always new but it ran,had cold a/c and never paid for gas....I even drove it off duty, and it was allowed and encouraged. Oh, I went to school and got my degree....cost me nothing!!!! The agency gave me leather, which in the beginning of my career I had to buy and uniforms! I know a guy, he's in construction, has to buy his own tools and drive his own car! I know another guy, he's attorney. Buys his own stuff, pays rent and health insurance and drives his own car. They call in sick...they get squat, me, I got 4 weeks paid vacation!!!! Listen, I worked for two different police chiefs and 5 different sheriff's. Only one is a convicted felon! Everyone of them promoted friends, brought in outsiders and we always had scandals, low morale, dissension among the troops,etc. Bottom line is this " God Bless the Guy who invented this Job!" I had many non-cop friends who made a lot more $$$$$ then me, but I stuck with it, grind ed it out. Worked details at $6. an hour, yea that's right, $6.oo an hour, made 12,000 a year, but stuck with it. After 31 years, retired with a great,great pension, many of my non friends lost their high paying jobs years ago, bounced around and are still working, but me, slow and steady wins the race. Hey, when I was young I didn't listen to the old guys either, now I know they were right, no one cares about anything when yur gone, only what is my pension. Everyone should be proud to be a cop and everyone should be grateful for such a great job....slam me if you want, I miss BSO, I mis the guys and gals I worked with, I don't miss the b/s but tell me one job that doesn't have BS? It could be worse, we could be working for the school board, a hospital or tarring a roof in the summer! Good luck everyone, stay safe and hopefully you will learn what is truly important..

01-07-2011, 10:05 PM
[quote="Stank *****":2ksbluwn]I retired after many years of honorable service and will always be proud of my time at a great agency when doing the right things had value. But I truly believe that the current Sheriff, Lamberti, has singlehandedly dishonored and severely damaged the agency and all who love being a cop. His immoral actions, corrupt appointments, criminal affiliations and generally awful performance has hurt all of us. Truths are being published every day and they speak volumes about Lamberti's judgement, ethics and knowledge of the job. What a disgrace.

I too retired after almost 31 years. Thankful I was a cop, smart enough to understand regular guys like me and you never had it so good: great pay, never missed a paycheck...even when I banged in sick, never went hunger,ever and always had a unit, not always new but it ran,had cold a/c and never paid for gas....I even drove it off duty, and it was allowed and encouraged. Oh, I went to school and got my degree....cost me nothing!!!! The agency gave me leather, which in the beginning of my career I had to buy and uniforms! I know a guy, he's in construction, has to buy his own tools and drive his own car! I know another guy, he's attorney. Buys his own stuff, pays rent and health insurance and drives his own car. They call in sick...they get squat, me, I got 4 weeks paid vacation!!!! Listen, I worked for two different police chiefs and 5 different sheriff's. Only one is a convicted felon! Everyone of them promoted friends, brought in outsiders and we always had scandals, low morale, dissension among the troops,etc. Bottom line is this " God Bless the Guy who invented this Job!" I had many non-cop friends who made a lot more $$$$$ then me, but I stuck with it, grind ed it out. Worked details at $6. an hour, yea that's right, $6.oo an hour, made 12,000 a year, but stuck with it. After 31 years, retired with a great,great pension, many of my non friends lost their high paying jobs years ago, bounced around and are still working, but me, slow and steady wins the race. Hey, when I was young I didn't listen to the old guys either, now I know they were right, no one cares about anything when yur gone, only what is my pension. Everyone should be proud to be a cop and everyone should be grateful for such a great job....slam me if you want, I miss BSO, I mis the guys and gals I worked with, I don't miss the b/s but tell me one job that doesn't have BS? It could be worse, we could be working for the school board, a hospital or tarring a roof in the summer! Good luck everyone, stay safe and hopefully you will learn what is truly important..[/quote:2ksbluwn]

Well said!

01-08-2011, 02:19 AM
Very well said! I shall be departing after 25 years in the next 12 months. I always respected and loved the organization itself. BSO is good. All of the administrations, bad sheriffs, politics, powertrac, etc? It sucked. But I too started at a base salary of 22K, DLE deputy. How it grew and now a great pension. Slow and steady did win the race. Not without lots of risk. Sorry for my friends that I did work with, Jack Greeney and Mike Metroka, and those I did not know, Reyka, Rein, Tephord, Doane, and Fatta. God bless them all, they paid the ultimate price. There for the grace of God goes any of us. Let's remember them, stop sniping at each other,do the job and go home safe. :D

01-08-2011, 02:51 AM
Did 25 to the day and retired.Retiring young (46)is outstanding.Totally agree with above poster.BSO is good agency and you will miss some parts of the job and some friends.But it is so much better when you are done.I would never go back. Hang in their and your time will come also.

01-09-2011, 02:34 AM
Very well said! I shall be departing after 25 years in the next 12 months. I always respected and loved the organization itself. BSO is good. All of the administrations, bad sheriffs, politics, powertrac, etc? It sucked. But I too started at a base salary of 22K, DLE deputy. How it grew and now a great pension. Slow and steady did win the race. Not without lots of risk. Sorry for my friends that I did work with, Jack Greeney and Mike Metroka, and those I did not know, Reyka, Rein, Tephord, Doane, and Fatta. God bless them all, they paid the ultimate price. There for the grace of God goes any of us. Let's remember them, stop sniping at each other,do the job and go home safe. :D

Agreed. I have my 20 in and have had a a great career. I believe the benefits and opportunities are unmatchable. I have met many friends that will remain friends long after retirement. Bottom ,line is the agency does not make you. It may be a large part of your life but should not define your life. Get over the politics, the administration and most of all, get over yourself. Go to work and enjoy yourself, and if you cannot do that take a step back and think about. This is a means for you to provide for your family, bottom line. If you cannot do that and enjoy yourself,find something that will. God bless and be safe.

01-09-2011, 03:25 AM
I retired a year and a half ago after twenty-six+years. I was a sergeant for my last twelve years. All I can say is that I had a great career at BSO, and loved what I did. I beleive that Sergeant is the best position to have. You make the extra bucks but you're still in touch. I never played politics or kissed butt and that's one reason why I left as a Sergeant. The thing that troubles me most about the agency is the way its changed in the last ten years. It used to be the top agency in Broward County, but under Jenne that all changed. Promotions were based on who your relatives were,how many vote you were good for, or how much butt you kissed. Not based on tenure, experience, skill, or ability. That created an agency which lacks depth. When you don't build a solid perimid, meaning a solid base, you have no support at the bottom which allows the top to sway. That's were the agency is today. Too many ranking officers who were promoted too quickly and can't make a decision to save their souls. When you lack experience, you can't make sound decisions.

My advice to all of you is to just do your job, take assignments which offer you the most money for your time and build up those high five. When you leave you will be receiving a pension at a higher ranks salary and life will be good. I don't look back and love getting that nice fat check every month. I have a part-time job which is law enforcement related, but I make my own schedule, work as much or as little as I want, and have no supervisor locally. I wish all of you a long, honorable career, and I keep you in my prayers. Be safe and don't concern yourself with all the negatives, stay positive and focused. Have a good ride my friends.

01-11-2011, 03:04 AM
Agree with the above posters....love being on the outside looking in....but while there at bso, great job, pay, benefits and best of all the wonderful people I got to work with and for. Yeah, there were some total wads there, but I learned if you did you job well and sometimes beyond, when you needed something, you ended up getting it. I got out of it what I put in...and then some. Retired after admirable service and being secure is the benefit.....spend less time part of the problem and more being part of the solution. When you are like me looking back, you will take a bit of pride in knowing you did your best, even in the worst of times at bso. Be safe.

01-11-2011, 06:27 PM
As many of the other posters have stated, I too have many, many fond memories of my career at BSO. Unlike some that seeked promotion, I found a place in a specialized unit, was very happy and stayed there my last 15 years. The agency is so large and the opportunities are there to do just about anything you want to do, just work hard, avoid the BS, use your common sense and the time passes quickly. Since I retired 7 yrs back I still return to So Fla periodically and I must admit the most difficult thing is that you do miss the comraderie and friendships acquired through the years ...not only within the agency but the ones you developed with interaction of multi agency events. Lets not forget the ultimate benefit....Pension etc... beleive me you sometimes forget how fortunate we are when you get to do whatever you want to do when you retire, nothing 24/7...seek another career, and meanwhile you get paid every month and a raise every year. You will see how envious people are that you have that benefit. I am now involved in another law enforcement capacity in another state......these other places have heard about BSO, and not because of this site, but because the agency has a history, a good reputation from the past. They know of our benefits and believe me, they are very envious of that. The state I am in offers their employees an investment plan, minimal other percs and where I am they have not had a raise since 2008..........well at least i have had one since ( 3% like clockwork ) each year. All I know is that there are things going on there that have been going on since i started my career in 1975......there will always be negatives but you need to outlast the politics, find a palce to be that suits your needs ( days, specialized unit, etc..) and look at the big picture because times have changed, good paying jobs are hard to find, and if things are so great everywhere else, then everyone would be there........there are no simple solutions. Good luck to all, be safe and plan your retirement way in advance.......i did mine at age 47 and what i do now i do not consider work, I just do what i want everyday.

01-12-2011, 12:53 AM
No regrets, I spent 27 years with BSO and enjoyed every minute of it. Never could I have imagined the wild and wacky people I would meet and work with for a whole career! I had my ups and downs in all those years, but I always felt safe knowning that my family was well taken care of financially. I never delved in the political side of the agency and thus my longevity there. After I retired in 2009, it took my some nine months to get over law enforcement, but now I am enjoying my retirement and the benefits that I get from the pension and medical insurance from BSO are greater to that of other friends who have chosen a different career. My only advise to those still working is to prepare yourself for retirement well before your planned date, and you too will be fine.

01-12-2011, 01:53 AM
I want to thank all of you who posted the many positive words. We are going through some pretty tough times here but reading your thoughts, advice, and words of encouragement made me smile. As you all know, it is not always easy to smile and many times you have to dig pretty deep to stay positive, but when I read your awesome descriptions of "the promised land" (retirement), it puts it back into perspective. Three more years. Thanks again and God Bless.

01-13-2011, 07:01 PM
I want to thank all of you who posted the many positive words. We are going through some pretty tough times here but reading your thoughts, advice, and words of encouragement made me smile. As you all know, it is not always easy to smile and many times you have to dig pretty deep to stay positive, but when I read your awesome descriptions of "the promised land" (retirement), it puts it back into perspective. Three more years. Thanks again and God Bless.

And if things get REALLY bad... I'll be here for you too!

01-13-2011, 09:29 PM
SWEET! Red, Black, Gold or Blue? :lol:

01-21-2011, 06:05 PM
:)
Loved this thread. Good to be reminded of the positives in law enforcement. Carry on and be safe out there.