PDA

View Full Version : Rick Scott to cut property taxes by 19%

01-01-2011, 07:40 PM
Rick Scott plans to cut property taxes by 19 percent in the coming year, even though the state's financial picture has worsened. Scott also vowed to cut school property taxes, while maintaining school funding by slashing the state's pension plan. Scott has not given details about his budget plans or his proposal to change the pension plan. Scott insisted that he will force state workers, teachers, firefighters and sheriff's deputies to start contributing to their pension.

Scott also vowed to donate his salary of more than $130,000 a year to charity.

Scott is assuming office with Florida's unemployment rate at 12 percent.

Scott even hinted that he plans to spend two terms as governor.

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20110101/ARTICLE/101011016/2416/NEWS?Title=Rick-Scott-won-t-back-down-on-promise-to-cut-taxes

01-01-2011, 07:50 PM
[quote="GARY FINEOUT":kxdq0xk8]Rick Scott plans to cut property taxes by 19 percent in the coming year, even though the state's financial picture has worsened. Scott also vowed to cut school property taxes, while maintaining school funding by slashing the state's pension plan. Scott has not given details about his budget plans or his proposal to change the pension plan. Scott insisted that he will force state workers, teachers, firefighters and sheriff's deputies to start contributing to their pension.

Scott also vowed to donate his salary of more than $130,000 a year to charity.

Scott is assuming office with Florida's unemployment rate at 12 percent.

Scott even hinted that he plans to spend two terms as governor.

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20110101/ARTICLE/101011016/2416/NEWS?Title=Rick-Scott-won-t-back-down-on-promise-to-cut-taxes[/quote:kxdq0xk8]

I kept saying Rick Scott wanted to get his hands on the 122 Billion dollars in the FRS pension fund and by god he is going to do his best to do it. Rick Scott is just as bad as Barack Obama.

01-02-2011, 11:58 AM
He said one time he would mostly fund the tax cut by making state employees pay 6% of their salary into the fund that we were overpaid and needed a more competitive salary scale that would lower the pay.

01-02-2011, 01:29 PM

Follow-up article:

Rick Scott hopes to steer new workers into 401k retirement plans and he wants to cut Florida's budget back to its 2004 baseline.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203525404576049723354764458.html?m od=googlenews_wsj#articleTabs%3Darticle

01-02-2011, 02:08 PM
Gutting the pensions of State Employees is the only thing everybody on the hill agrees to this year. They will probably spend the entire legislative session compiling a grocery list of ways to destroy your benefits. Any State Employee that voted for this guy is an absolute IDIOT. He told you cutting your salary was a top priority and you voted for him anyway? Who is dumb enough to vote their family a pay cut (not only now, but on their retirement check as well)? Worse yet, the guy barely won election. I'm sure there were thousands of state workers that didn't bother to vote. Anybody that didn't vote deserves what happens to them.

"It's not daunting. It's going to be fun. It's going to be exciting," Scott said.

01-02-2011, 02:39 PM
Worse yet, the guy barely won election. I'm sure there were thousands of state workers that didn't bother to vote. Anybody that didn't vote deserves what happens to them.
I'm a diehard Republican and I didn't vote because I didn't know who to believe and I couldn't see through all the hype. However, from what I'm seeing now, Rick Scott may not know what he's doing. :?

I did vote for all the other offices.

01-02-2011, 02:57 PM
I'm registered republican, but when this republican legislature gets done right-sizing my police salary, I'll go democrat. Nothing worse than a Judas. Repubs talk the big law and order talking points, but when it comes to putting their money where their mouth is, they stab your families in the back. Tax cuts for the rich are more important than paying you a respectable wage. They have to be aware that our salaries are dead last and our manpower to citizen ratio is dead last in the nation. Despite this, they are going to take away our pension benefits by cutting your salary to fund their tax cuts. Florida is the cheapest place to live already, but Mr. Scott says Floridians are paying too much? When Troopers make minimum wage, he'll say he finally got it right-sized.

01-02-2011, 03:55 PM
The whiners on this post are offensive with their inability to understand basic economics. Yes, our Ox is being gored by the next Legislature. But, that is because we have been overcompensated for years. The retirement plan is not fiscally sustainable--as is now being learned by other states that have been plundering their taxpayers with outrageously high public service pensions and pay rates like N.J., CA, PA, NY, and Illinois. :oops: :oops:

Let' be realistic, I've personally seen during my last 22 years with FHP, that if most of us were worth more for what we do, and there were better positions available, we'd already be at those better compensated jobs. MOST FHP troopers have little education--relative to today's labor markets' supply of workers. Too many troopers and STAFF are lazy, look for ways to avoid being productive, and fail to give a fair day's work for their compensation. :roll: :roll:

These times are economic realities. Face it. Prepare for it. Accept it, and stop whining--it's unbecoming to all of us. We should accept accountability for our own actions and future, and stop crying like little babies and spoiled brats. The only group worse than the whining troopers these days are the recent high school and college grad kids entering the labor force with their "entitlement" attitude. :shock: :shock:

01-02-2011, 05:25 PM
The whiners on this post are offensive with their inability to understand basic economics. Yes, our Ox is being gored by the next Legislature. But, that is because we have been overcompensated for years. The retirement plan is not fiscally sustainable--as is now being learned by other states that have been plundering their taxpayers with outrageously high public service pensions and pay rates like N.J., CA, PA, NY, and Illinois. :oops: :oops:

Let' be realistic, I've personally seen during my last 22 years with FHP, that if most of us were worth more for what we do, and there were better positions available, we'd already be at those better compensated jobs. MOST FHP troopers have little education--relative to today's labor markets' supply of workers. Too many troopers and STAFF are lazy, look for ways to avoid being productive, and fail to give a fair day's work for their compensation. :roll: :roll:

These times are economic realities. Face it. Prepare for it. Accept it, and stop whining--it's unbecoming to all of us. We should accept accountability for our own actions and future, and stop crying like little babies and spoiled brats. The only group worse than the whining troopers these days are the recent high school and college grad kids entering the labor force with their "entitlement" attitude. :shock: :shock:

Have you looked at other states compensation compared to the state of Florida or what the local LEO's make compared to FHP. You are an idiot imo.

01-02-2011, 11:05 PM

Have you looked at other states compensation compared to the state of Florida or what the local LEO's make compared to FHP. You are an idiot imo.

I think you're the idiot since we are obviously paid what we are worth at FHP. Otherwise we would already be working somewhere else. How many better jobs have you turned down lately? NONE! Just what I thought!

01-03-2011, 12:34 AM
Printing Money = Inflation

Inflation = tax on middle class

If you believe that those making less than $250K per year are not
going to experience a tax increase -
Your in for a rude awaking.

"By a continuous process of inflation, governments can confiscate, secretly and unobserved, an important part of the wealth of their citizens. By this method, they not only confiscate, but they confiscate arbitrarily; and while the process impoverishes many, it actually enriches some. The process engages all of the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and does it in a manner that not one man in a million can diagnose."

~ John Maynard Keynes ~

01-03-2011, 12:47 AM
Lets look at this from reality, Florida has a two or three billion dollar short fall in the next budget year, so Rick Scott is going to cut property taxes by 19% to bring in less revenue.

What does that mean?

Less services from the state, county and cities.

Rick Scott is a thief make no bones about it, he is after the pension fund money and I think he feels he has a way to steal it right from under everyones noses.

01-03-2011, 06:07 PM
I'm registered republican, but when this republican legislature gets done right-sizing my police salary, I'll go democrat. Nothing worse than a Judas. Repubs talk the big law and order talking points, but when it comes to putting their money where their mouth is, they stab your families in the back. Tax cuts for the rich are more important than paying you a respectable wage. They have to be aware that our salaries are dead last and our manpower to citizen ratio is dead last in the nation. Despite this, they are going to take away our pension benefits by cutting your salary to fund their tax cuts. Florida is the cheapest place to live already, but Mr. Scott says Floridians are paying too much? When Troopers make minimum wage, he'll say he finally got it right-sized.

Florida at one time was the cheapest place to live. Due to Federal and State requirements put in over the years it is not now for the average person. When my insurance bills are three times my tax's somthing is wrong. Other States are looking better for retirement. most of us have been looking elseware and are voting with are feet. Shut the light off when you leave. :|

01-03-2011, 11:00 PM

I think you're the idiot since we are obviously paid what we are worth at FHP. Otherwise we would already be working somewhere else. How many better jobs have you turned down lately? NONE! Just what I thought!

:roll: Yes if FHP gave 10% more next year that meant Troopers are finally worth 10% more or if an ate up trooper goes local and makes 15K more that meant he was always worth 15k more.

01-07-2011, 03:37 PM
Yes, our Ox is being gored by the next Legislature. But, that is because we have been overcompensated for years

This person is either not a State Employee or their spouse makes good money in the private sector. The only Troopers I know that make shitty wages and don't complain about their salary have a sugar daddy spouse. As for the rest that are the primary bread winners, I don't feel that I have been "overcompensated for years". You must be assigned to some little county and spend all day driving around and visiting with people to fill your shift.