PDA

View Full Version : Community Policing

12-19-2010, 12:18 AM
Hello brothers and sisters, Congrats again MGPD on moving down the charts (#44) in regards to most dangerous cities in the nation. I was wondering if your dept has some sort of community policing program/unit and if so what is the unit comprised of (#officers/ supervisors/ duties/ responsibilities).

I am a LEO in a mid-size city out west in Texas currently assigned to the community policing unit. I will be relocating in S. FL in a few months and was interested in Miami Gardens. Any information would help. Thanks in advance.

12-24-2010, 04:32 AM
If you like never knowing what your schedule is going to be, then our community policing unit is for you. Miami Gardens is a minority city with a lot of violence. It is comprimised of a lot of section 8 housing complexes and "ghetto" type neighborhoods and "shopping" complexes. You need to always be on your A game here. Some people love that, some people hate it. It depends on you.

As far as the department itself... we have our good and our bad. There are some great officers here and then there are some not so great ones as well. Every agency has its issues though.

Anyway, just beware what youre getting into before you decide because even though crime went down, it is still a violent place. Truth be told, the criminals are still here, but because we now have more officers patroling in MG, the criminals have began to adapt and commit thier crimes in surrounding jurisdictoins. In the end we're still dealing with the same amount of bad guys... Just my opinion. Good luck brother.

07-11-2011, 12:57 AM
What do they do?

08-10-2011, 03:43 AM
Our community policing officers?? Hmm..let's see..they do nothing except yell stupid shit on the radio, put cuffs on some 39..then go "I got a community board meeting." How about you dum dums wear the same uniform as me..so stop trying to burn me with your bags of shit..scumbags..

08-10-2011, 04:32 AM
Initially I thought the same thing; that they do nothing at all. Actually they do work; they are tasked with starting new crime watch meetings, hosting current ones, Nusiance abatement, and all the other city events/bull crap that come up last minute. Oh and not to mention not knowing when their schedule is going to change which hapens much to often.

On top of all of that bull crap they still have to bring in numbers (arrest, fi's, tickets) like everyone else or else. And I hear once a month they attend the SMART meeting and are held accountable for the crime in their areas. So in a nut shell our leadership expect them to be community police officers getting all involved but at the same time 39, ticket, and fi everybody.

That unit must really suck; thats why I withdrew my memo of interest for that position.

08-15-2011, 07:27 PM
Our community policing officers?? Hmm..let's see..they do nothing except yell stupid shit on the radio, put cuffs on some 39..then go "I got a community board meeting." How about you dum dums wear the same uniform as me..so stop trying to burn me with your bags of shit..scumbags..
I'll tell you what big boy (or girl). Why don't you meet me at the CET substation any given day and tell me in my face what you just wrote? I'll show you around and even take you to one of those "community board meetings" you are talking about (crime watch meetings they are called you idiot) and let you be a punching bag for one day!!. Seriously, you little b1tch...you come on here acting like you're super hero cop and are the answer to this place... You had the chance of being in the community policing unit, so why didn't you put in for it??
But I don't blame me for being mad...

08-15-2011, 07:31 PM
Initially I thought the same thing; that they do nothing at all. Actually they do work; they are tasked with starting new crime watch meetings, hosting current ones, Nusiance abatement, and all the other city events/bull crap that come up last minute. Oh and not to mention not knowing when their schedule is going to change which hapens much to often.

On top of all of that bull crap they still have to bring in numbers (arrest, fi's, tickets) like everyone else or else. And I hear once a month they attend the SMART meeting and are held accountable for the crime in their areas. So in a nut shell our leadership expect them to be community police officers getting all involved but at the same time 39, ticket, and fi everybody.

That unit must really suck; thats why I withdrew my memo of interest for that position.
In a nut shell, you are right. There's other stuff that takes place behind the curtains that benefit the city and the police dept as a hole...But like the previous poster wrote, he seems to be disgusted with the unit..But yes, you are right mr. Cop.