PDA

View Full Version : WOW..... so the FHP Director position has been posted!

12-16-2010, 08:44 PM
Who will it be?????

https://jobs.myflorida.com/viewjob.html?optlink-view=view-478206&ERFormID=newjoblist&ERFormCode=any

Working Title: DIRECTOR OF FLA HIGHWAY PATROL-HSMV
Broadband/Class Code: 10-9199-01
Position Number: 76000430
Annual Salary Range: $47,316.36 - $206,580.40
Announcement Type: Open Competitive
Facility:
Pay Grade/ Pay Band: BB023
Closing Date: 12/27/2010

Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles

Florida Highway Patrol

Director of Florida Highway Patrol- HSMV

Position Number: 76000430

Salary: Salary commensurate with experience

Description of Job:

The Florida Highway Patrol is a nationally accredited law enforcement agency lead by the Director of the Florida Highway Patrol, a sworn law enforcement position carrying the rank of Colonel. This Senior Management Service position receives competitive employment benefits, including health, life, disability insurance and generous leave benefits.

The Florida Highway Patrol Colonel is responsible for providing leadership and direction to over 2,000 sworn and non-sworn positions in locations throughout Florida and managing an annual budget of over $200 million. The Colonel serves as liaison with local, state, federal, and national agencies on law enforcement issues and collaborates with law enforcement organizations including the Florida Sheriffs, Chiefs of Police, American Association of Motor Vehicle Administrators, and others. The Colonel serves as a member of the Florida Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission.

Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:

The successful candidate will have:

Proven leadership skills including ability to implement a strategic direction, engage employees at all levels in the organization, effectively initiate and manage change, and measure results.
At least 10 years of progressively responsible, current experience as a certified law enforcement manager with sworn and non-sworn subordinates.
Three of the required 10 years must be at a leadership level in the organization.
Knowledge of current trends impacting law enforcement, including technology, and ability to identify and implement strategies related to these trends.
Considerable experience in sworn law enforcement in a variety of functions.
Bachelor's degree in a relevant field is preferred.
Recommended candidate must:

Pass a physical examination, drug screen, psychological exam, background check (including fingerprinting) and polygraph.
Be currently certified in Florida as a sworn law enforcement officer or be able to obtain such certification.
Maintain a valid Florida driver license throughout their employment.
Possess or be able to obtain a firearms certification.

Elaine Cooper, Chief of Personnel Srvcs
2900 Apalachee Parkway
Room A428, MS #30
Tallahassee, FL 32399
(850) 617-3207

7 Tips for Preparing Effective State Applications - Click here to learn how to prepare your State of Florida employment application to showcase your knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience.

Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States. The Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles participates in the Department of Homeland Security's Electronic Employment Verification Program (E-Verify) to assist in this required verification process.

The State of Florida is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Affirmative Action Employer and does not tolerate discrimination or violence in the workplace. Applicants requiring a reasonable accommodation, as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act, must notify the agency hiring authority and/or the People First Service Center (1-877-562-7287). Notification to the hiring authority must be made in advance to allow sufficient time to provide the accommodation.

12-16-2010, 09:54 PM
Let the games begin! I guess there will be a crap load of back stabing, fist fights and name calling in the next several weeks! Woudl not want to be in Tallahassee over the next several weeks! :devil: :devil: :devil:

12-16-2010, 09:59 PM
Brierton has already been told he has the job. They're just going through the motions here.

12-16-2010, 10:10 PM
They also told Durarte he had the job! :mrgreen:

12-16-2010, 11:12 PM
I am going to apply! Oh wait, I don't want to take a pay cut.

12-16-2010, 11:17 PM

THAT would be the biggest mistake ever made in the history of the Florida Highway Patrol.

12-17-2010, 01:24 AM

THAT would be the biggest mistake ever made in the history of the Florida Highway Patrol.

Here we go with the name calling and back stabbing!

12-17-2010, 02:56 AM
Joe Arpaio for FHP COLONEL!!!!

12-17-2010, 03:12 AM
I second the motion..

I also move to close the nomination and approve the current motion.

12-17-2010, 03:22 AM
I second the motion..

I also move to close the nomination and approve the current motion.

JOE, ALL THE WAY. I'm emailing him now.

12-17-2010, 05:54 AM
Brierton has already been told he has the job. They're just going through the motions here.

Wrong answer. Gov. Scott wants change, he's getting rid of him.

12-17-2010, 10:04 AM
I hope the transition committee recommends that a national search be conducted for this position. We need somebody from the outside to turn us around.

12-17-2010, 11:37 AM

You can see the Governor has his hands involved in this - the starting salary is $47,000, which is more in-line with the mainstream :shock:

12-17-2010, 12:38 PM
I hope the transition committee recommends that a national search be conducted for this position. We need somebody from the outside to turn us around.

Tried that before and it failed. The legislature wants to keep us down. That was the main reason Grimming left, he could not believe the way we are treated and he could see it wasn't going to get any better and he was right. It does not matter who is the Colonel.

12-17-2010, 06:38 PM

Sure lets keep the same crap (Brierton's) on the top, Chris Knight will be hired from the outside, finish what was begun, see boys he's on the "TEAM".

As Scott says, Lets Get To Work !!!!!

Clean house baby !!!!!!!!

Dont worry Walmart's always hireing, ok.

12-17-2010, 10:16 PM
It is frustrating to see that the posted job requirements don't even require a college degree to be hired as the Director of the FHP. The executive of a public institution that employs over 2,000 professional and staff personnel should have a graduate degree from a regionally accredited university in administration, serious successful law enforcement experience, and an outstanding management performance record. :oops: :oops:

Given the failure to spell out appropriate requirements for consideration of applicants for this position, and the short period of time the position is open for applications, the conclusion must be that someone has already been selected. That person has little (if any) real college education, nor appropriate management experience, nor integrity. FHP needs to have a truly national, open search, with an outside consultant conducting it. The citizens deserve better. :roll: :roll:

FHP administration is a laugh-a-minute entertainment. X-65 a Signal 76.
:x :x

12-18-2010, 12:09 AM

He's a moron. Look what a great job he as done with the auxiliary program, just ask them.

12-18-2010, 12:11 AM

Already has been tried with Ronald Grimming. Grimming kept running into a brick wall as the good old boy net work in Tallahassee will never allow anyone to better FHP. You see it the good old boys who will tell FHP what they need not the person running FHP telling them what FHP needs.

12-18-2010, 12:13 AM
It is frustrating to see that the posted job requirements don't even require a college degree to be hired as the Director of the FHP. The executive of a public institution that employs over 2,000 professional and staff personnel should have a graduate degree from a regionally accredited university in administration, serious successful law enforcement experience, and an outstanding management performance record. :oops: :oops:

Given the failure to spell out appropriate requirements for consideration of applicants for this position, and the short period of time the position is open for applications, the conclusion must be that someone has already been selected. That person has little (if any) real college education, nor appropriate management experience, nor integrity. FHP needs to have a truly national, open search, with an outside consultant conducting it. The citizens deserve better. :roll: :roll:

You do not need a college degree to do damn near any job in this country. College is way overrated.

12-18-2010, 01:00 AM

He's a moron. Look what a great job he as done with the auxiliary program, just ask them.

I thinh hes doine a great job with the FHPA. As an FHPS cooridanator, he has put back the meaning in accounatbility and got rid of the good ole boy scheffer.

At least he did not mismanage the FHPA fund like the last guy KG.

12-18-2010, 03:46 AM

You can see the Governor has his hands involved in this - the starting salary is $47,000, which is more in-line with the mainstream :shock:

Thats not the starting salary for the position its the lowest a person in that pay class can be paid. There maybe several other job titles in that same class. Dont kid yourself the 3 chiefs are making over 100K, I promise this position pays 150K+

12-18-2010, 03:51 AM
Wrong.....try agn

12-18-2010, 05:01 AM

Thats not the starting salary for the position its the lowest a person in that pay class can be paid. There maybe several other job titles in that same class. Dont kid yourself the 3 chiefs are making over 100K, I promise this position pays 150K+

Well my friend you would be lying with that promise. Czernis currently makes $133,875 and has been on since 1977.

12-18-2010, 06:34 PM
Sorry to disappoint ladies and gentlemen, but Colonel Czernis is grossly underpaid for the job and level of responsiblity he has. A sheriff from one of these po-dunk counties makes as much as the FHP Director that has resources he is responsible for spread all over the state. Like every other position with the state of florida (contrary to what Rick Scott wants to tell everybody) our pay SUCKS big time, so cutting our benefits is grossly unfair. You've got Sergeants with 20+ years on the patrol making the lower 50s. If you are only making in the 30's as a trooper, 50 sounds like a lot. It's not when you've given 25 years of service. A Trooper with any time on should be making at least in the 50's.

I'm curious to see if there are more taking the promotional tests this year. Promotion is the only way to offset the pay cuts that are coming. You will make Sergeant and your paycheck will be the exact same :cry:

12-18-2010, 06:52 PM
Sorry to disappoint ladies and gentlemen, but Colonel Czernis is grossly underpaid for the job and level of responsiblity he has. A sheriff from one of these po-dunk counties makes as much as the FHP Director that has resources he is responsible for spread all over the state. Like every other position with the state of florida (contrary to what Rick Scott wants to tell everybody) our pay SUCKS big time, so cutting our benefits is grossly unfair. You've got Sergeants with 20+ years on the patrol making the lower 50s. If you are only making in the 30's as a trooper, 50 sounds like a lot. It's not when you've given 25 years of service. A Trooper with any time on should be making at least in the 50's.

I'm curious to see if there are more taking the promotional tests this year. Promotion is the only way to offset the pay cuts that are coming. You will make Sergeant and your paycheck will be the exact same :cry:

Rick Scott says we are all overpaid and also need benefit/retirement reductions this fiscal year.

12-19-2010, 09:07 AM

I am telling my son's 22 year old friend to apply.
He just graduated from the academy and is a certified PO
and a has been hired as a reserved officer for a department here in South Florida.
He has a high school diploma. He qualifies.
Hire my friend he will probably do a better job than any of these kiss azz jerks

12-19-2010, 03:40 PM

If they have a graduate degree requirement, or any degree requirement for that matter, it rules out Brierton, Guzman and Duarte for the job. We can't have that can we?

12-19-2010, 10:44 PM

Sure lets keep the same crap (Brierton's) on the top, Chris Knight will be hired from the outside, finish what was begun, see boys he's on the "TEAM".

As Scott says, Lets Get To Work !!!!!

Clean house baby !!!!!!!!

Dont worry Walmart's always hireing, ok.

Walmart Security pays more than FHP.

02-06-2011, 08:18 PM
Learn to read, the advertisement does state a college degree is required.
Minimum education = college degree.
Duh, r you a disgruntled trooper?

02-06-2011, 08:28 PM
Who cares....Gov Scott is going to mess up this place more than it already is. People are going to be fleeing this place in masses.

02-06-2011, 09:01 PM
Grady Judd Sheriff of Polk County, Media ask Sheriff Judd after a dirt bag shot and killed a Deputy and his K-9,"why did your Deputies shoot him 67 times" Sheriff answers, "Well we ran out of ammo, next question? "Now thats a leader. I vote he applies for the Director's job.

02-06-2011, 10:58 PM

No, actually the notice says " ...bachelors degree preferred...." :!: :!:

There is nothing that says a bachelors degree is required, nor that it even be from a traditional, regionally accredited university. :roll: :roll:

The administration of FHP is frightening. :evil: :evil:

02-07-2011, 12:06 AM
Grady Judd Sheriff of Polk County, Media ask Sheriff Judd after a dirt bag shot and killed a Deputy and his K-9,"why did your Deputies shoot him 67 times" Sheriff answers, "Well we ran out of ammo, next question? "Now thats a leader. I vote he applies for the Director's job.

Amen

02-07-2011, 01:22 PM
I hope it's one of the good sheriffs from around the state. They would certainly be more qualified than the 3 stooges we have in GHQ. PLEASE look outside the agency for our next colonel.

02-07-2011, 02:24 PM
Seems in years past an "official" list of applicants would have surfaced by now. Strange.

02-07-2011, 02:32 PM
May be they are waiting to see if Obama wants the job. We are use to Hope and no Change!

02-07-2011, 03:01 PM

No, actually the notice says " ...bachelors degree preferred...." :!: :!:

There is nothing that says a bachelors degree is required, nor that it even be from a traditional, regionally accredited university. :roll: :roll:

The administration of FHP is frightening. :evil: :evil:

What is says is, “Bachelor's degree in a relevant field is preferred.”

First, this can be read that a bachelor’s degree is not a requirement, or that if you have a bachelor’s degree in a field that is not “relevant” you can still be director. So, in a nutshell - who the hell knows that it means, as it can be interpreted several different ways. In addition, the word, “relevant” is very vague and is, again, up to interpretation.

I think what is means is that a bachelor degree is a must, but if you have a degree that is not relevant to law enforcement, e.g. engineering, you can still be in the hunt.

My 2 cents