PDA

View Full Version : Rick Scott just asked legislators to make retirement funding

12-15-2010, 02:20 AM
Rick Scott just asked legislators to make retirement funding come from all the state employees salary so he can fund a billion dollar plus tax break to property owners and businesses to help the economy or something like that. I think he said about 6% taken out of everyone's paycheck and said other states do that but he failed to mention they make a lot more than the State of Florida pays.

12-15-2010, 03:47 AM
This is the thread and article you are looking for. Read on>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

http://forums.leoaffairs.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=105880

and to think there are troopers that actually voted for this guy? Go figure :roll:

12-21-2010, 09:25 PM
Time to close FHP down and turn off the lights. :|

12-21-2010, 10:12 PM
Thanks to all you FOX News watching, good family values, pro-life, so-called conservatives put him in office by not voting for a Democrat.

12-22-2010, 03:18 AM
Just because some of Scott's changes may not be in our best interest as employees of the patrol, they very well may be in the best interest of Florida as a whole. I have voted in elections for things and people that were not necessarily what would benefit me the most but for what would benefit my community, state or country the most. In closing, think not what Florida can do for you but what you can do for Florida. If you love this state, you will sacrifice so that she can grow strong again.

12-22-2010, 04:02 AM
Austerity is coming to FHP.

12-22-2010, 05:26 AM
Austerity is coming to FHP.

It never left. :snicker:

12-23-2010, 04:24 AM
Not a word about how to close the $17 billion FRS pension fund defict. Taking higher investment risk with the hope of higher returns will be a disaster. Pray that Florida doesn't become another NJ, IL or CA.

01-01-2011, 04:29 AM
Yawnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!

01-01-2011, 12:01 PM
Not a word about how to close the $17 billion FRS pension fund defict. Taking higher investment risk with the hope of higher returns will be a disaster. Pray that Florida doesn't become another NJ, IL or CA.

Florida's FRS pension fund is in very solid shape, I guess you don't understand how pension funds work. A pension is considered fully funded if it is at 80% or above funding, Florida is at 89 to 90% right now. Just a couple of years ago the pension was over 100% funded. Just because there was a burp in the market does not mean the FRS pension fund is in trouble.

Last year the FRS pension fund earned a 14% return. It is and has always been very well managed, well at least until Rick Scott gets his hands on the over 122 Billion dollars in it.

01-03-2011, 06:15 PM
Thanks to all you FOX News watching, good family values, pro-life, so-called conservatives put him in office by not voting for a Democrat.

It is the legislature that holds the purse strings. Some need to take their heads out of the sand as their is not enough money coming in to State goverment to support it. All one has to do is look at the other states and the trouble they are in. If you have a better way come forward with it. My understanding is that our retirements or other civil servants retirements are not covered by law. 401K are. Think about it. :|

01-03-2011, 10:05 PM
http://www.tampabay.com/news/business/rick-scott-worries-floridas-pension-fund-is-in-even-worse-shape-than-we/1143157

Rick Scott worries Florida's pension fund is in even worse shape than we know

01-03-2011, 10:54 PM

It is the legislature that holds the purse strings. Some need to take their heads out of the sand as their is not enough money coming in to State goverment to support it. All one has to do is look at the other states and the trouble they are in. If you have a better way come forward with it. My understanding is that our retirements or other civil servants retirements are not covered by law. 401K are. Think about it. :|

A state has never filed banruptcy and its assumed they aren't allowed to while municipalities can file bankruptcy if the state approves it. The only state to ever default on some bonds was Arkansas during the great depression but that action would get you shut out of markets. Our state pay/retirement total per employee is peanuts compared to most other states.