PDA

View Full Version : Agency?

AdvicePlz
12-12-2010, 11:08 PM
Can someone give me some info on the strengths and weakness of the different agencies in the area. I start academy soon and would like to hear from those who have been there and done it. I basically want to know what you would tell a young man starting his LE career in Sarasota, and plans to stay here for a long time.
Ive already spoken to some deputies Im friendly with, no PD though.

Thank you all.

12-14-2010, 05:15 PM
Be a Fireman!!!!!!!!!!!

12-15-2010, 06:15 AM
Move out of this state!!!!! Florida is the worst state in the country, to be a cop in. Go elsewhere.

12-23-2010, 02:18 AM
Hehe. I was expecting that, but any constructive info would be appreciated. How do you think your workload compares to that of the SO? Honest opinions about middle and upper mgmt. Please no venting as Im not in the dept and would not get it anyway. Benefits OK? Will the union go to bat for you?

Thanks

12-23-2010, 01:58 PM
A typical SPD zone officer will handle more calls for service than a zone car at the SSO. We have a much smaller geographical area to cover but a much higher crime rate than the county. We have a larger pool of criminals to deal with in a smaller area which provides a good opportunity for self initiated activity if you are into that type of thing. Our pay is comprable to the SSO, however they vest at 6 in the FRS and we vest at 10 in the City's pension fund. The City is trying to alter our pension system to one similar to a 401k but without Soc. Sec., something to consider in the long run. We have smaller Agency than the SSO so movement is a bit more restrictive so you better enjoy Patrol and working nights fo 5-7 years. Things are changing albeit slowly, Admin is trying to put in more career development positions, we are working out the pension and City Commission issues that we have had. SPD is a good Agency that has had a few very rough years and it will take a few more for things to really calm down. All in all we have our Good, our Bad, and our Ugly, but everywhere does just matters where you want to live and work.

12-23-2010, 02:38 PM
I was not the original poster but

my compliments to you for a good honest response.

12-24-2010, 04:31 PM
A typical SPD zone officer will handle more calls for service than a zone car at the SSO.
That's not true and it's an old misnomer that was proven to be false after the SPD 911 center consolidated with the SSO 911 center. The computer aided dispatch (CAD) system reveals that SSO zones are significantly busier than SPD zones. It was a myth that SPD zones are busier than SSO zones.

12-27-2010, 01:36 AM
Thanks for the advice, 5 weeks out till academy starts, I cant wait. I'd like to go on some ridealongs soon with both local agencies and speak with the officers/deputies. Any idea who to contact for that in PD?

12-27-2010, 02:25 AM
A typical SPD zone officer will handle more calls for service than a zone car at the SSO.
That's not true and it's an old misnomer that was proven to be false after the SPD 911 center consolidated with the SSO 911 center. The computer aided dispatch (CAD) system reveals that SSO zones are significantly busier than SPD zones. It was a myth that SPD zones are busier than SSO zones.
That's because the size of an SPD zone is a football field (just kidding), while the size of an SSO zone is 1/19th of the entire county (pretty big). SSO zones are way too big. :roll:

We (the SSO) had a shooting at MLK near Newtown Boulevard (in the county) and it took forever for SSO units to arrive on-scene, but when we requested help from SPD, we had about 6 or 7 SPD patrol cars x97 waaaaaaaaaaay before any SSO units were able to arrive. Like I said, SSO zones are ridiculously too big. :roll:

12-31-2010, 12:32 PM
That's because the size of an SPD zone is a football field (just kidding), while the size of an SSO zone is 1/19th of the entire county (pretty big). SSO zones are way too big. :roll:

We (the SSO) had a shooting at MLK near Newtown Boulevard (in the county) and it took forever for SSO units to arrive on-scene, but when we requested help from SPD, we had about 6 or 7 SPD patrol cars x97 waaaaaaaaaaay before any SSO units were able to arrive. Like I said, SSO zones are ridiculously too big. :roll:

The zones have to be that large to comfortably accommodate your enormous ego's.

12-31-2010, 01:40 PM
[quote=Guest]A typical SPD zone officer will handle more calls for service than a zone car at the SSO.

The zones have to be that large to comfortably accommodate your enormous ego's.[/quote:3acsfpfd]
LOL... Yeaa, we do have big egos, but so do you guys at SPD!!!! And don't try to deny it!!! ;)

:devil: