PDA

View Full Version : FHP Office Staff

12-09-2010, 10:48 PM
We do practically everything electronically now. Years ago, we did everything on paper and had to go by the station to turn everything into the clerks. How come we still have the same number of office people? All the data is collected by the computer server? Sell the crash reports on-line. Must be a lot of solataire being played around the office :devil:

12-10-2010, 02:13 AM
You are correct in your statement that the majority of tasks once performed by office staff for sworn members is now done electronically without crossing their hands. I will also agree that a lot of FHP office staff are not very hard working or willing to help anyone. I don't think you are correct on the number of office staff still in place -- most troops have reduced their civilian positions. Some civilians are holding 2 positions and getting paid for one!

What I do know, is this: I am an FHP Office Staffer. I use my own car to get to and from work on my dime. I also run errands for the agency on my dime. I spend a good bit of my free time and weekends working on... you guessed it, AGENCY matters and I do it for free-there's no OT/SOAR or Hireback for me. I probably know more secrets than the local FBI and I keep my mouth shut about it. I stay late without pitching a fit even though I'm starving and feel like I want to strangle someone. I take my job seriously and don't normally sit around doing nothing. I do see troopers hanging out and talking smack and spending an hour in the parking lot and an hour at the restaurant and so on. I sit in my work area and listen to every Trooper and above complain as they come in. You all complain that $36K isn't enough, not enough OT, don't want to go to court, you hate the paperwork, etc. You walk right by me most days and never even acknoweldge me -- all because you think we are less than you. :evil:

I only wish you had an incling of what some staff members actually do. We run everything from behind the scenes and TRUST ME it is not easy. The things we know about you and everyone else, the agency and many others might terrify you. And, sure electronic is great (I know I love it), but it doesn't get electronic until you make it that way and I doubt most of you could do that since your reports look like a 5 year old wrote them. (Sorry, but you asked for it). And, just so you know, our pc's are monitored too. We are watched all day - our hard drives are scoured and every keystroke we take is known. So, if someone is dumb enough to play solitaire, they will eventually get what is coming to them. :mrgreen:

In defense of a staffer who does play solitaire: perhaps it takes her 1 hour to do what someone takes 5--can you blame her? Maybe it's because none of you ask her to help you do anything? Maybe she is a poor employee. But before you attack the staffers, keep in mind nearly all of us are making $20-$25K per year. Most have had no reaises for 5 years and as you know, there are little to no perks. Seriously, would you like to be at the mercy of your supervisor all day, every day? You all run from the Brass -- can you imagine have to interact all day when you may not be seeing eye-to-eye? So how about being a little bit fair why don't you! :oops:

FHP is a family,we need each other! :D

12-10-2010, 02:34 AM
I agree with the above post. I work in the Communication Center and every one of the duty officers, duty officer supervisors, lieutenant come to me with every problem. We clerks get no recognition, no glory, no thank you, and most of all, no money. We still do paper reports in some instances, or have to submit documentation that we keep monthly on our computer. We keep all the office machinery in working order and take care of the inventory. Electronic submittal are not all we do. We make you troopers look good, as, usually we correct a lot of your mistakes.
I love my job and even though I make a pittance of a salary, would not trade my job for the world. I love most of the sworn personnel I work for and with. I know that if I have a problem, every one of my troopers would give me the shirt off their back if I needed it. And just to let you know, we had our games taken off our computers about 2 years ago. Before you say something you know nothing about, I would suggest you talk to your clerks and ask them about their jobs instead of taking things for granted, and making blanket statements. :roll:

12-10-2010, 04:12 AM
WoW ...there you have it...simply put...."Aw"....{ As in "Shock-N-Awe") from the folks in the background who do more for less....and untill now you never hear from or about~!~! Thank You ALL ~!~!

12-10-2010, 05:41 AM
I agree that we have some AWESOME clerks. HOWEVER, I see a LOT doing absolutely nothing. I don't really blame them because I'm sure they had a specific duty at one time and now it's all automated. I greatly appreciate the hard-working clerks and agree that the pay is low, like ALL state workers. I think we should do the same thing with our clerks as we should with our troopers. Have a core group that works hard but gets a good salary. Get rid of all the dead weight and pay the hard workers what they are worth!

12-11-2010, 01:12 PM
You walk right by me most days and never even acknoweldge me -- all because you think we are less than you.[/b] :evil:

supprised at this statement. Most troopers I know think that you should be honored to be acnoweldged by them. Most wouldn't pass up that opportunity

12-13-2010, 07:27 AM
If you want the truth, give them all a week off at the same time, For good measures add the Do's and see what kind off mess you have. If none, you know where to CUT. :|

12-13-2010, 07:52 AM
You are correct in your statement that the majority of tasks once performed by office staff for sworn members is now done electronically without crossing their hands. I will also agree that a lot of FHP office staff are not very hard working or willing to help anyone. I don't think you are correct on the number of office staff still in place -- most troops have reduced their civilian positions. Some civilians are holding 2 positions and getting paid for one!

What I do know, is this: I am an FHP Office Staffer. I use my own car to get to and from work on my dime. I also run errands for the agency on my dime. I spend a good bit of my free time and weekends working on... you guessed it, AGENCY matters and I do it for free-there's no OT/SOAR or Hireback for me. I probably know more secrets than the local FBI and I keep my mouth shut about it. I stay late without pitching a fit even though I'm starving and feel like I want to strangle someone. I take my job seriously and don't normally sit around doing nothing. I do see troopers hanging out and talking smack and spending an hour in the parking lot and an hour at the restaurant and so on. I sit in my work area and listen to every Trooper and above complain as they come in. You all complain that $36K isn't enough, not enough OT, don't want to go to court, you hate the paperwork, etc. You walk right by me most days and never even acknoweldge me -- all because you think we are less than you. :evil:

I only wish you had an incling of what some staff members actually do. We run everything from behind the scenes and TRUST ME it is not easy. The things we know about you and everyone else, the agency and many others might terrify you. And, sure electronic is great (I know I love it), but it doesn't get electronic until you make it that way and I doubt most of you could do that since your reports look like a 5 year old wrote them. (Sorry, but you asked for it). And, just so you know, our pc's are monitored too. We are watched all day - our hard drives are scoured and every keystroke we take is known. So, if someone is dumb enough to play solitaire, they will eventually get what is coming to them. :mrgreen:

In defense of a staffer who does play solitaire: perhaps it takes her 1 hour to do what someone takes 5--can you blame her? Maybe it's because none of you ask her to help you do anything? Maybe she is a poor employee. But before you attack the staffers, keep in mind nearly all of us are making $20-$25K per year. Most have had no reaises for 5 years and as you know, there are little to no perks. Seriously, would you like to be at the mercy of your supervisor all day, every day? You all run from the Brass -- can you imagine have to interact all day when you may not be seeing eye-to-eye? So how about being a little bit fair why don't you! :oops:

FHP is a family,we need each other! :D

This is one troper who apreciates y'all and what you do. keep up the good work!!!!!

12-13-2010, 09:21 AM
I wish I had a office clerk job
at FHP. I'm tired of living
hand to mouth. I'm still looking
for work..sonny.

12-13-2010, 02:14 PM
I'll tell you right now that I wouldn't be nearly as effective at my job if it wasn't for the great civilian employees that we have. If you think all of our clerk's are doing nothing but playing solitaire, you need to work in the office for a little while. The support staff is VERY important, and without them we would be in trouble.

12-13-2010, 10:14 PM
I'll tell you right now that I wouldn't be nearly as effective at my job if it wasn't for the great civilian employees that we have. If you think all of our clerk's are doing nothing but playing solitaire, you need to work in the office for a little while. The support staff is VERY important, and without them we would be in trouble.
"I've seen your reports: and you're still in trouble!"

12-14-2010, 04:01 AM

I don't think the original poster was saying the staff isn't important. I think they were asking why we still have the same number of staff when the majority of paperwork shuffling they used to do isn't occurring - its all done on the computers.