PDA

View Full Version : Conservative or Liberal..which are you?

10-29-2010, 08:34 PM
A young woman was about to finish her first year of college. Like so many others her age, she considered herself to be very liberal, and among other liberal ideals, was very much in favor of higher taxes to support more government programs, in other words redistribution of wealth.

She was deeply ashamed that her father was a rather staunch conservative, a feeling she openly expressed. Based on the lectures that she had participated in, and the occasional chat with a professor, she felt that her father had for years harbored an evil, selfish desire to keep what he thought should be his.

One day she was challenging her father on his opposition to higher taxes on the rich and the need for more government programs.

The self-professed objectivity proclaimed by her professors had to be the truth and she indicated so to her father. He responded by asking how she was doing in school.

Taken aback, she answered rather haughtily that she had a 4.0 GPA, and let him know that it was tough to maintain, insisting that she was taking a very difficult course load and was constantly studying, which
left her no time to go out and party like other people she knew. She didn't even have time for a boyfriend, and didn't really have many college friends because she spent all her time studying.

Her father listened and then asked, "How is your friend Audrey doing?"

She replied, "Audrey is barely getting by. All she takes are easy classes, she never studies and she barely has a 2.0 GPA. She is so popular on campus; college for her is a blast. She's always invited to all the parties and lots of times she doesn't even show up for classes because she's too hung over."

Her wise father asked his daughter, "Why don't you go to the Dean's office and ask him to deduct 1.0 off your GPA and give it to your friend who only has a 2.0. That way you will both have a 3.0 GPA and certainly that would be a fair and equal distribution of GPA."

The daughter, visibly shocked by her father's suggestion, angrily fired back, "That's a crazy idea, how would that be fair! I've worked really hard for my grades! I've invested a lot of time, and a lot of hard work! Audrey has done next to nothing toward her degree. She played while I worked my tail off!"

The father slowly smiled, winked and said gently, "Welcome to the conservative side of the fence."

If anyone has a better explanation of the difference between conservative and liberal or progressive, I'm all ears.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~

If you ever wondered what side of the fence you sit on, this is a great test!

If a conservative doesn't like guns, he doesn't buy one.
If a liberal doesn't like guns, he wants all guns outlawed.

If a conservative is a vegetarian, he doesn't eat meat.
If a liberal is a vegetarian, he wants all meat products banned for everyone.

If a conservative is homosexual, he quietly leads his life.
If a liberal is homosexual, he demands legislated respect.

If a conservative is down-and-out, he thinks about how to better his situation.
A liberal wonders who is going to take care of him.

If a conservative doesn't like a talk show host, he switches channels.
Liberals demand that those they don't like be shut down.

If a conservative is a non-believer, he doesn't go to church.
A liberal non-believer wants any mention of God and religion silenced. Unless it's a foreign religion, of course!

If a conservative decides he needs health care, he goes about shopping for it, or may choose a job that provides it.
A liberal demands that the rest of us pay for his.

If a conservative reads this, he'll forward it so his friends can have a good laugh.
A liberal will delete it because he's "offended."

Well, I forwarded it to you.

10-29-2010, 10:31 PM
I am conservative but voting for Sink because she isn't coming after my benefits like Mr. Scott and the legislature. I voted Rubio for Senate however because that has no effect on my benefits and the feds are spending way too much money unlike Florida.

10-29-2010, 11:06 PM
First of, you are a moron if you think all liberals, and yes, all conservatives, can be painted the same, unyielding and completely down party lines.

To answer your questions;
I'm a liberal and yes, I like guns. I just don't go out and buy an arsenal (like some of my republican friends do) but I don't object to them doing so.
I'm a liberal and don't really care what you eat.
I'm a liberal and straight. What sexual preferences you have are none of my god damned business.
I'm a liberal and if down and out, thinks, whose greedy pro business republican is now better off because I'm out of work.
If I don't like a talk show host, I shut/change, the TV/Radio off, I've got no time-energy-money to complain to the so called (by Republicans) "liberal media".
I'm a liberal and demand that the separation of "state and church" be respected. In other words, you can worship what/whomever you want, just don't use my taxes to pay for it. And no, to me (I'm an Atheist") "foreign" religions are the same as "domestic" (?) (Religions are not limited to physical boundaries, moron.)
I'm a liberal and no, I won't forward this to a friend because, friends don't spam friends with this crap.

I'm a liberal, yet, I don't always vote along party lines.

10-30-2010, 03:00 AM
First of, you are a moron if you think all liberals, and yes, all conservatives, can be painted the same, unyielding and completely down party lines.

To answer your questions;
I'm a liberal and yes, I like guns. I just don't go out and buy an arsenal (like some of my republican friends do) but I don't object to them doing so.
I'm a liberal and don't really care what you eat.
I'm a liberal and straight. What sexual preferences you have are none of my god damned business.
I'm a liberal and if down and out, thinks, whose greedy pro business republican is now better off because I'm out of work.
If I don't like a talk show host, I shut/change, the TV/Radio off, I've got no time-energy-money to complain to the so called (by Republicans) "liberal media".
I'm a liberal and demand that the separation of "state and church" be respected. In other words, you can worship what/whomever you want, just don't use my taxes to pay for it. And no, to me (I'm an Atheist") "foreign" religions are the same as "domestic" (?) (Religions are not limited to physical boundaries, moron.)
I'm a liberal and no, I won't forward this to a friend because, friends don't spam friends with this crap.

I'm a liberal, yet, I don't always vote along party lines.

If your Atheist, why are you saying God in your sentence...Just saying. I know deep down you believe, I'll pray for you.

10-31-2010, 01:51 AM
Why do liberals hate our police force?
Yes, I'll use the word "hate" since that's the liberal word of every day it seems.

The Arizona law, which Conservatives would like to adopt a version of in Florida, gives authority to law enforcement to enforce illegal immigration. Liberals act as if law enforcement is going to start raiding homes illegally and dragging people out of vehicles.

Why is that? These men and women enforce the law and they do it by the book. They do it first because I believe they truly are there to serve the public and protect citizens (key word).

It's no different than if you get pulled over for a traffic violation, a tail light out, weaving, etc. What does the officer first ask you? "May I see your license and proof of insurance". Yes, a license is a legal identification card. Same as an ID card if you're walking down the street. Many cities (ie. New York) require you to carry ID in case an officer has a reason to ask you for it.

They don't ask for your citizenship papers. That is unless you have no government issued ID. I mean, how do these illegals function without an ID anyways? I lost mine once and it was like I wasn't a person anymore. Can't go to the bank, can't cash a check, can't pick up a package, can't go to a bar.

Why do liberals hate law enforcement and our military as well?

Reminder: The word "hate" is used liberally here. It's called sarcasm and you liberals do not support our troops and our law enforcement. You'll say you don't hate them, but you don't support them either.

and then liberals are always bawling about the likes of Mumia Abu-Jamal (born Wesley Cook on April 24, 1954)who was convicted and sentenced to death for the December 9, 1981 murder of Philadelphia police officer Daniel Faulkner. Why do they champion the causes of scum like him? The evidence against him was overwhelming. His own gun with 5 spent shells was found at the scene.

And what about Obama friend Bill Ayers (whose terrorist group actually killed police) to him killing cops is a "non-issue."
And for the record, this cop killing terrorist that launched Obama's political career... States, "I don't regret setting bombs" and "I feel we didn't do enough" and when asked if he would bomb again ( including more police stations? ) he states "I don't want to discount the possibility."

As a Cop, I just don't understand why the liberals always seem to actually like and support these people instead of the officers and military who protect our citizens and our country everyday

10-31-2010, 07:29 PM
As a former cop, I can tell you this, I'm opposed to labels. Unfortunately, often times, for the sake of saving time, we label ourselves as this, that or the other. People from either ideology, share common goals. Political parties add their own, or re arrange them in accordance to their own given importance.

I have co workers / friends who are republicans. One, has an arsenal at home. Everything from rifles, pistols, revolvers, shotguns, reloading equipment; all legal of course. I've even gone out with him to the range to shoot skeet. He likes to invite me out to the range, because he says I'm a good shot. He acknowledges that I'm a democrat. He claims that Obama is out to get our guns. I tell him, I've yet to see this happen, and don't think it will, but just because he believes in the republican party line, he is sure it will happen.

Another one from work. I had a conversation with him and let him know I was a former cop. He went on to say that cops have this "God complex" and that they like to be treated as such. I explained to him that cops are like any other human beings. We (cops) have our share of bad apples as well as any other workgroup and unfortunately, cops are in a position of authority. The conversation went on and the gist was; he hated cops. And he is a republican! Go figure, right?

Of course, and not naive enough to paint all republicans the same. Because I have enough intellect to know they're not. So, instead of using these forums to incite politically charged discussions with childish accusations, let everyone decide for themselves where their own priorities lay. You and the political ads can only do so much, to sway someone's own life experiences, education and prejudices.

And for the record, I'm totally opposed to terrorism.

Remember that before 9/11, nobody knew the Bushes's were family friends with the Bin Laden's.

That's a terrorist's job, try and become legitimate and so, they associate themselves with US politicians to try and achieve this legitimacy and help themselves win attention to their causes. It does not mean that when I voted for Obama, I wanted a terrorist friendly president.

11-02-2010, 12:01 PM
I am conservative but voting for Sink because she isn't coming after my benefits like Mr. Scott and the legislature. I voted Rubio for Senate however because that has no effect on my benefits and the feds are spending way too much money unlike Florida.

My thoughts exactly. I vote conservative in national elections and democrat for state elections.