PDA

View Full Version : This is one way to get new cars...wreck the old ones

10-18-2010, 07:59 PM
http://www.wftv.com/news/25427694/detail.html
VOLUSIA COUNTY, Fla. -- A Florida Highway Patrol trooper was involved in a crash with an SUV Monday on Jungle Road in New Smyrna Beach. The FHP says Trooper Melvin Lane, 59, was traveling eastbound on SR-44 attempting to catch a speeding motorcycle. The SUV, driven by 57-year-old Debra Ann Bennett, was traveling westbound in the left lane.

According to the FHP report, Trooper Lane tried to make a left turn onto Jungle Road in front of the Lexus SUV, which then hit his cruiser on the front side. As a result, the Lexus turned over on its side.

Bennett was taken to Bert Fish Medical Center with non-life threatening injuries. Lane suffered only minor injuries to his hand and was treated at the scene.

Tow trucks arrived on scene to remove Lane's car and the SUV. The crash remains under investigation and charges are pending.

10-18-2010, 11:24 PM
HOW COULD ANY ONE SEE THE CRUISER WITH NO LIGHTS ON THE ROOF, THE SHOULD HAVE SENT IT BACK UP FOR A LIGHTBAR!

10-19-2010, 12:51 AM
Isnt 59 a little too old to be on patrol? he should be retired already, behind a desk, or teaching somewhere.

10-19-2010, 01:42 AM
When, as an agency and under a real leader, are we going to begin to understand how detrimental these motorcyclists are to the public and especially to us as Troopers?

10-19-2010, 01:43 AM
Isnt 59 a little too old to be on patrol? he should be retired already, behind a desk, or teaching somewhere.

He is hanging in there waiting for his first step increase.

CAR69
10-19-2010, 02:40 AM
When, as an agency and under a real leader, are we going to begin to understand how detrimental these motorcyclists are to the public and especially to us as Troopers?

I definitely agree with that.

10-19-2010, 03:08 AM

I definitely agree with that.
I agree with this as well. The little punks ride around on these crotch rockets thinking the law can't touch them because all they need to do is run. I've heard them brag about running from the cops and getting away.

10-19-2010, 09:07 AM
Yet another case of a chase that ended in an innocent being hurt in a crash that this time involved the innocent and the patrol.

All over a simple speeding ticket.

10-19-2010, 02:44 PM
Yet another case of a chase that ended in an innocent being hurt in a crash that this time involved the innocent and the patrol.

I hear that same stupid, monday morning quarterback excuse all the time. "Oh, it was only for a speeding ticket."

You are aware that Timothy McVeigh was stopped by a State Trooper "all over a simple speeding ticket" right after he bombed the Alfred P. Murrah building, right?

You have no idea who you could be stopping, especially if they decide to run. Hell, that's even more reason to believe they could be fleeing for reasons much more serious than speed.

So, if you are indeed in law enforcement, perhaps you should consider another line of work, perhaps heading up a local chapter of the ACLU. It would be a great chance for you to enjoy the miserable company of other bleeding heart liberals. 8)

10-19-2010, 05:22 PM
When it gets dangerous like that why even bother to chase a motorcyclist. If they crash they are only going to kill themselves. There is more damage caused when they are chased and crashes like this happen. With the speeds these motocycles can reach high speed pursuits are inevitable. All this for a traffic violation, its just not worth it. Im not direcing this at troopers because all law enforcement is sometimes guilty of this, why take traffic infractions so personally? Thats what it seems like when these officers chase a violator with such zeal. Now chasing a suspect who just committed an armed robbery or something of the sort, that is a different story.

10-19-2010, 07:18 PM
When it gets dangerous like that why even bother to chase a motorcyclist. If they crash they are only going to kill themselves. There is more damage caused when they are chased and crashes like this happen. With the speeds these motocycles can reach high speed pursuits are inevitable. All this for a traffic violation, its just not worth it. Im not direcing this at troopers because all law enforcement is sometimes guilty of this, why take traffic infractions so personally? Thats what it seems like when these officers chase a violator with such zeal. Now chasing a suspect who just committed an armed robbery or something of the sort, that is a different story.
Why do we take it personally you ask? Its about more than a traffic infraction. When people decide to run instead of stopping like we order them to do, they commit another crime. To many people now days think they don't have to listen to law enforcement. So if we start letting people go just because they don't want to stop then we aren't really sending a good message to the public are we? If we let everyone go who runs then we aren't doing the job we were sworn to do. That is enforce the law. I don't like it when people run and don't stop when told to do so, it pisses me off.

10-19-2010, 07:21 PM

I hear that same stupid, monday morning quarterback excuse all the time. "Oh, it was only for a speeding ticket."

You are aware that Timothy McVeigh was stopped by a State Trooper "all over a simple speeding ticket" right after he bombed the Alfred P. Murrah building, right?

You have no idea who you could be stopping, especially if they decide to run. Hell, that's even more reason to believe they could be fleeing for reasons much more serious than speed.

So, if you are indeed in law enforcement, perhaps you should consider another line of work, perhaps heading up a local chapter of the ACLU. It would be a great chance for you to enjoy the miserable company of other bleeding heart liberals. 8)

Timothy McVeigh did not run. You lose moron.

10-19-2010, 07:22 PM
Why do we take it personally you ask? Its about more than a traffic infraction. When people decide to run instead of stopping like we order them to do, they commit another crime. To many people now days think they don't have to listen to law enforcement. So if we start letting people go just because they don't want to stop then we aren't really sending a good message to the public are we? If we let everyone go who runs then we aren't doing the job we were sworn to do. That is enforce the law. I don't like it when people run and don't stop when told to do so, it pisses me off.

What a loser you are.

10-19-2010, 08:26 PM

Hey dipshit, I never said he did. The point was Timothy McVeigh was stopped for speed, and that you never know who you could be stopping. What if McVeigh had ran? With your rationale, the officer would not have been in a position to give chase because it would have been "just another speeding ticket." What if McVeigh had then gone to bomb another high profile building and killed more innocent civilians?

10-19-2010, 08:46 PM
Actually, the article doesn't say he was "chasing" the motorcycle. It just says he turned onto Jungle Road. More than once I've had to make a few turns to catch up to someone that was speeding, and it wasn't a chase.

Hopefully everyone involved will have a quick recovery.

10-19-2010, 08:48 PM

What a loser you are.
Must be someone who ran and got tased lol. He says i'm the loser. :snicker:

10-19-2010, 08:58 PM

Hey dipshit, I never said he did. The point was Timothy McVeigh was stopped for speed, and that you never know who you could be stopping. What if McVeigh had ran? With your rationale, the officer would not have been in a position to give chase because it would have been "just another speeding ticket." What if McVeigh had then gone to bomb another high profile building and killed more innocent civilians?
Its funny how people don't want cops chasing people until a crime has been committed against their family or friends. Then they want us to chase all day long to make sure the person is caught. :roll: