PDA

View Full Version : Will I be making a mistake?

10-04-2010, 06:10 PM
I work in a medium size agency in North Florida making about 40,000 after 2 years with 8 more years to go before getting vested in the city pension. I am in the process with FHP right now and get different points of views regarding me staying or going to FHP. Any thoughts?

10-04-2010, 06:33 PM
It depends on why you want to leave your current agency. It looks like you have some type of step plan. You will be making much less with FHP. Just keep in mind the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

10-06-2010, 12:20 AM
I work in a medium size agency in North Florida making about 40,000 after 2 years with 8 more years to go before getting vested in the city pension. I am in the process with FHP right now and get different points of views regarding me staying or going to FHP. Any thoughts?

Yes you will be making a big mistake. Now you want to be making the same wage as the rookie coming out of the academy 15 years into your career with FHP then no you are not making a mistake.

FHP has become a big joke these days.

10-06-2010, 03:23 AM
There's more to life than working wrecks is what some say......but have you tried answering domestics, barking dog calls, and dealing with city politics......

10-06-2010, 10:12 AM
There's more to life than working wrecks is what some say......but have you tried answering domestics, barking dog calls, and dealing with city politics......

I learned that what you have to do is look at it as a job and whatever you do during the 8 or 12 hours so what. It gives you money for your family to live. Going to FHP will not give you that.

10-06-2010, 12:08 PM
yes, I was a city officer. Believe me there is FHP politics, and other bs. I have only responded to a few domestics on the highway but my pay reflects that. Just think about it long and hard. You would probably have more opportunity to get off the road in a city dept. if you put your time in. Does your city have a traffic unit squad? Most in my area do.

10-07-2010, 01:01 AM
Forget it The State of Florida does not pay its Law Enforcement Officers 1/2 of what you can make at a large county agency/large city.Low base pay and NO pay step plan.In addition ,you can use your issued vehicle for off duty details and what ever else you want at most agencies.At the state ,it is .45 cents a mile with your own insurance.This is what counts now and esp when you retire.I have Deputies that make well over 100k a year here in south fla.

10-10-2010, 01:41 PM
It is a shame things are the way they are. I am from another State Agency and things are the same where I am. Why is it the ones with tenure get shit on, never have a say so in things. I have been browsing through these threads and hate to see FHP is in the same shape as where I am from. The pay here is screwed up as well, 12 years on and I make about $300 more a month than a rookie, and on top of that our pay has been left behind for years, no pay raise for the past few and things are not looking any better.